End of international night?

cruz chic

I'm on the Veendam now on a b2b and there was no international night tonight. Glad to see it go. Also no swirling napkins and baked Alaska. Not sure if I'll be back to this thread as so far I only have expensive Internet.

Thanks for letting us know. I have a perfect record of non-attendance. :) First time we saw the menu, we booked Pinnacle and always had last dinner of cruise in Pinnacle from that day forward.

Thanks for sharing with us Cruz Chic. Hope your first week was wonderful and the second even better. :)

On our 4-12-15 22 day Med. cruise we did not have International night nor were Baked Alaska's strutted around the dining room. However, a few hold overs stilled twirled their napkins over their heads....but not me, it always seemed a little silly.

Thanks for letting us know. I have a perfect record of non-attendance. :) First time we saw the menu, we booked Pinnacle and always had last dinner of cruise in Pinnacle from that day forward.

Thanks for sharing with us Cruz Chic. Hope your first week was wonderful and the second even better. :)

We have always booked Pinnacle last night as well, although have to admit I may still continue still it is just a great way to end our cruise :-) For our cruise next week we actually have three nights in the Pinnacle including Le Cirque.

I am agree definitely not something I will miss since it was something we were not fond of.

I'm sorry to see it go, but because I enjoyed the varied menu. I always had a hard time picking what I wanted.

And as for Baked Alaska being dated, I really don't see how a classic dish is dated. Any more than beef stew or roasted chicken is dated. Besides, everything old is new again -- having your own garden, and canning are all the rage now, so it might very well be coming back. Additionally there are plenty of Mid-Century devotees who love it.

Edited by ellieanne

Our Panama Canal repositioning cruise still had the International Menu, but it was on the second to last night, rather than the last night. We were in port till late on the last night so I assume that is why the change. We did get a parade of dining room staff and we were encouraged to twirl our napkins by our waiter before they started. No baked Alaska in the parade, but the CD did some introductions, then they had an Indonesian farewell song.

To us this was a shortened version of what we used to see in the dining room and in the disembarkation talk.

Wouldn't miss this if it did disappear.

We have always booked Pinnacle last night as well, although have to admit I may still continue still it is just a great way to end our cruise :-) For our cruise next week we actually have three nights in the Pinnacle including Le Cirque.

I am agree definitely not something I will miss since it was something we were not fond of.

I avoid it like its the plague. I eat in the Lido that night.

Great minds think alike. :)

Hope you have a great cruise. Will you be doing a 'live from'?

Great minds think alike. :)

Hope you have a great cruise. Will you be doing a 'live from'?

Thanks Sail, Right now not planning on it. I will probably post some one Facebook with some pictures but right not had not planned to do a CC Live From.

Actually, Baked Alaska is pretty good, but the twirling napkins, pseudo-Broadway and gameshow MC is not going to be missed. Elegance is understated, so go in that direction.

So are you saying the "features" described above from the Master Chefs Dinner re emerged in the international dinner?

On my last cruise the manager of the PG asked me if I had planned it on purpose to go dinner in PG on the last night. The way he asked it made me think he was asking if I was avoiding the international dinner.

When the menu was first posted here, I showed it to DH. He is not a picky eater but the menu did not impress him. So I quickly made a reservation for the Pinnacle.

Depending on the ship, we either go to the Pinnacle or the Tamarind.

Have never been to the International Night.

Actually, Baked Alaska is pretty good, but the twirling napkins, pseudo-Broadway and gameshow MC is not going to be missed. Elegance is understated, so go in that direction.

You can have my portion of the Baked Alaska.

I like International night; I want to try everything on the menu.

Baked Alaska is overrated... and outdated :O

Agree -- Baked Alaska has gone out of style.

Years ago when we got the Baked the Alaska -- too much meringue and barely a tablespoon of ice cream.

We do the same. I like having our last meal in the PG as it makes a special ending to our cruise.

Debbie

It wouldn't break my heart if International menu disappeared.

they did change the night on our Westerdam cruise as Ms Alpha said. When I found out, I tore to the Pinnacle to see if they could change our reservation from the last night to the second last night.

Raj, our PG manager, knew why we were doing it and thankfully was able to accommodate us.

Good news for us cruz chic if it is being eliminated. Will be interesting to hear future reports.

I am so pleased to hear this. I can never find anything appealing on that menu so we had booked the Pinnacle for the last night on our upcoming Veendam cruise. I guess it was unnecessary but I think we will still keep the reservation.

On our last night on Westerdam in Jan, we had a parade of staff. I liked that they included workers from all departments. The representatives of the cabin staff carried little towel animals. That doesn't bother me. I know it's a bit of an advertisement for the line, how hard they work, how well they take care of us etc etc. But it's OK.

We didn't have baked Alaska in the parade, although it was on the menu. (We found it the least appealing menu of the week) Unfortunately, they did encourage the napkin waving, which I will not do. I think it's gross. At the least, mine is likely to have bread crumbs in it. And I might have spilled something else. YUCK!!

We have avoided it on previous cruises by going to Pinnacle, but we had a promotion where HAL chose our free Pinnacle dinner, and they didn't give us the last night.

I would love to see the International Dinner disappear, as I would like to have a choice that last night, but I would still probably dine at the Pinnacle. I have come to love that last night as a special ending to the cruise.

On my recent cruise the prancing & dancing was held the night before the last night---formal night! Stewards from various departments paraded around both levels of the dining room, and various people were introduced. No, there was no Baked Alaska, but that was not on the menu when the event was held. Yes, there was the twirling of the napkins, and there was an abbreviated "dismbarkation lecture" as well. We also had Gulang Gulang sung, but not Love In Any Language (which I still miss).