potential move to NCL, need help

After a horrendous experience with Carnival earlier this year, my wife and I were debating abandoning cruising altogether or at least taking a break from it. We have cruised 3 times, all on Carnival. One great, one good, one poor.

We recently received an email from NCL and it got us thinking, but i have some questions for experienced NCL cruisers. I realize i can probably find some answers with a search but i am at work and i need to do this quickly, so here goes...

1. NCL is offering an all-inclusive drinks package for no extra charge if we book before 7/31. It sounds great but it sounds too good to be true. Is there a catch?

2. Is the onboard entertainment superior to the garbage Carnival puts out?

3. Being a huge fan of craft beer, i hear NCL has an extensive offering. Can someone tell me about it?

4. In your opinion, if i try NCL, would i ever want to go back to Carnival?

After a horrendous experience with Carnival earlier this year, my wife and I were debating abandoning cruising altogether or at least taking a break from it. We have cruised 3 times, all on Carnival. One great, one good, one poor.

We recently received an email from NCL and it got us thinking, but i have some questions for experienced NCL cruisers. I realize i can probably find some answers with a search but i am at work and i need to do this quickly, so here goes...

1. NCL is offering an all-inclusive drinks package for no extra charge if we book before 7/31. It sounds great but it sounds too good to be true. Is there a catch?

3. Being a huge fan of craft beer, i hear NCL has an extensive offering. Can someone tell me about it?

I have no comment on the UBP but what I wanted to say is to abandon cruising after 1 disappointment is not enough to give it up at this point.

We have done 30 plus cruise all with NCL except for 1 which was a disaster with Carnival Freedom, and I would NOT sail Carnival again if they gave me a free cruise.

Other than beer for you its hard to say whether NCL is for you. The one main feature that NCL has over carnival is the selection of specialty dining venues which is all we use where as carnival only had the 1 steak place.

I'm essentially a teetotaler, so I can't comment.

Absolutely. Carnival relies a lot of passenger participation. NCL provides a lot of professional entertainers. Whether you'll like the shows is going to be a subjective call, but I think it's safe to say it's a step up.

Sorry, no idea.

I tried Carnival once. It's not that I didn't like it. I felt like they provided the BARE MINIMUM in quality to make it palatable. The analogy I use is Carnival is like an American car company in the 90s. They'll cut corners as much as possible in as many places as they can. On paper, the product has all the features you desire, but all the little cost cuts and annoyances add up. NCL is more like foreign car company. Sure they want to cut costs, but there's a line they won't cross. There has been some significant changes to the way NCL does business over the last year, but I'm still confident it's better than Carnival.

The only "catch" on this UBP promo is that you have to pay 18% gratuity. Prior to this promo that was included. It's still a great deal though.

For a 7 day cruise, it is 136.08 for 2. Roughly twelve $10 drinks plus gratuity between the two.

If you like cruise line excursions, the shore excursion credit looks pretty strong too.

IMHO, Carnival attracts a different:confused: type of cruiser than the other lines.

We enjoy every cruise we go on and have sailed 5 different cruise lines.

NCL to us is the best for the money, the staff always seems nicer and more attentive and the choice of dining is far better than Carnival.

I would say give it a shot and see if it is for you, What have you got to lose? :cool:

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on ncl and there was a choice of beers from Alaskan Brewing Co. We liked having a local flavor option that wasn't a mega brew.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

There is a brew pub on the upcoming Escape, so I'm assuming that the choices there will be superior to what is offered on the other ships. If beer is important to you, you might want to hold out for the ship to start sailing in the late fall.

My choice of craft beers on the Sky last month was negligible. I chose Sam Adams, which is as macro as microbrews get. For a change, I would order a Dos Equis, which I would normally only order with Mexican food and Molson Canadian. There is a beer list available here somewhere if you search for it.

OTH, the mixed drinks are quite good and we chose a 4 bottle wine package and were quite pleased with the selection.

Edited by BamaVol

My choice of craft beers on the Sky last month was negligible. I chose Sam Adams, which is as macro as microbrews get. For a change, I would order a Dos Equis, which I would normally only order with Mexican food and Molson Canadian. There is a beer list available here somewhere if you search for it.

OTH, the mixed drinks are quite good and we chose a 4 bottle wine package and were quite pleased with the selection.

Lucky You, just off the Jade and couldn't find anyone that could make a good Martini. :cool:

My first NCL cruise was a little disapointing. Sailed alot with Carnival and they started to disapoint me with on numerous levels. I decided to give NCL another try and I loved it exp the fact that they always seemed to have deals on UBP and UDP. I had both the last trip and it made a big difference in my cruise experience. I like going to the specialty restarunts and I cant stand the buffet for dinner so I never do that if I can help it. I also cant stand being stuck in the dining room waiting for my food all day which is one reason carnival was a let down also there prices on there limited drink packeges.

Being a huge craft beer fan myself. The District Brew House was one of the reasons I booked the new Escape in March for April of next year. That along with the free UBP and kids sale free promotion, it was a no brainier.

Used to live in Macomb TWP 10 years ago then moved to Florida. I know MI had a early leg up on the craft brews above FL right now they are getting into it heavy. I am not a big fan of most of it. Seem to me they never get the flavor consistant and I noticed none of the brands last very long and they charge too much so now I just stick to the old favorite domestics.

Used to live in Macomb TWP 10 years ago then moved to Florida. I know MI had a early leg up on the craft brews above FL right now they are getting into it heavy. I am not a big fan of most of it. Seem to me they never get the flavor consistant and I noticed none of the brands last very long and they charge too much so now I just stick to the old favorite domestics.

I think we may catch up with the midwest eventually. I moved to FL 2 years ago - used to be a 75 minute drive from Asheville, NC which IMO is the brewing capital of the SE. I have found some good FL beers and am enjoying a lot of what comes out of Cigar City.

We are hoping to cruise NCL out of Barcelona next year. Has anyone seen a beer list for Europe? Hopefully not a whole lot of Bud Light. Hopefully not all Heineken and Guinness either.

Edited by BamaVol

I too am moving from CCL, trying NCL this year.

I have been sourcing similar information ....

I may not be answering your specific questions, but this is what I have discovered so far....

Passengers are a different breed for the most part... social graces as they say, are a step up? If you have ever taken a short cruise on CCL, you will know exactly what I am talking about. :mad:

Entertainment is definitely better according to my research.

Dining is a different experience, that it is "freestyle" and no scheduled seating in the MDR. You either make reservations at one of the many restaurants, or make your way to the DR or hit a buffet. There is an upcharge for several restaurants, more so then what you have experienced on CCL.

This new policy is very active on the NCL pages....

No food shall be taken out of the restaurant/buffet and brought to your room. Also (coincidence?), there is now a fee for room service. I believe it is $7.95

I hope you find the answers you are looking for, I thought I would take the time to share with you what I have found to be interesting and useful information.

I too am moving from CCL, trying NCL this year.

I have been sourcing similar information ....

I may not be answering your specific questions, but this is what I have discovered so far....

Passengers are a different breed for the most part... social graces as they say, are a step up? If you have ever taken a short cruise on CCL, you will know exactly what I am talking about. :mad:

Entertainment is definitely better according to my research.

Dining is a different experience, that it is "freestyle" and no scheduled seating in the MDR. You either make reservations at one of the many restaurants, or make your way to the DR or hit a buffet. There is an upcharge for several restaurants, more so then what you have experienced on CCL.

No food shall be taken out of the restaurant/buffet and brought to your room. Also (coincidence?), there is now a fee for room service. I believe it is $7.95

I hope you find the answers you are looking for, I thought I would take the time to share with you what I have found to be interesting and useful information.

The new food rule has been reversed.

No take-out policy has been reversed. The $7.95 room service charge still applies, except for early-morning continental breakfast orders. Sorry, I just wanted to make that correction before this thread, like many others, devolves into chaos. [emoji1]

<snip>

We are hoping to cruise NCL out of Barcelona next year. Has anyone seen a beer list for Europe? Hopefully not a whole lot of Bud Light. Hopefully not all Heineken and Guinness either.

Becks and Pilsner Urquell are probably the highlights IMHO:(.

Sometimes you can track down a reasonable German beer (I have found Warsteiner occasionally) - otherwise it is fairly bleak for a beer geek - lager, lager or lager (Bass IPA is available - I can't drink it - it does terrible things to my 'internal systems' for some strange reason).

Becks and Pilsner Urquell are probably the highlights IMHO:(.

Sometimes you can track down a reasonable German beer (I have found Warsteiner occasionally) - otherwise it is fairly bleak for a beer geek - lager, lager or lager (Bass IPA is available - I can't drink it - it does terrible things to my 'internal systems' for some strange reason).

This is why I brew my own. A cruise is for fru-fru drinks. :D

It is a miracle there are more options that just Bud, Bud Light and Coors Light.

We took our first NCL cruise last summer after a few CCL cruises and found it to be a definite step up.

The crew, decor, entertainment are much better on NCL.

Also, the "special touches" like returning to the ship after a long day at the beach and the crew is right there outside the ship handing out frozen hand towels, water, lemonade and fresh beach towels to exchange for your used ones is a real treat. The red carpet was fun, too ;)

We felt very well taken care of on Breakaway. We will be going again in a few months. Can't wait!!

Happy Sailing!

~Robin

after a horrendous experience with carnival earlier this year, my wife and i were debating abandoning cruising altogether or at least taking a break from it. We have cruised 3 times, all on carnival. One great, one good, one poor.

We recently received an email from ncl and it got us thinking, but i have some questions for experienced ncl cruisers. I realize i can probably find some answers with a search but i am at work and i need to do this quickly, so here goes...

1. Ncl is offering an all-inclusive drinks package for no extra charge if we book before 7/31. It sounds great but it sounds too good to be true. Is there a catch? Can't change the color of my typing to red so i'm caps locking my answers. The ubp is unlimited unlike carnival which limits you to 10 drinks a day on their package

2. Is the onboard entertainment superior to the garbage carnival puts out? Yes the entertainment is much better

3. Being a huge fan of craft beer, i hear ncl has an extensive offering. Can someone tell me about it?

4. In your opinion, if i try ncl, would i ever want to go back to carnival?

no you will love ncl