Going to Europe? Passport warning!!!

How many of us, even though we do this all the time, just checked our passports? And the visa requirements on our route, again, just to be sure??

I am very curious if the OP used Royal's online check-in? If so, and he entered expiration dates that were within the 90 days Royal was going to require, I find it absurd (although we all know the high quality of RCI's IT department) that a simple datelookup function in the underlying code wouldn't have flagged the passports! Part of the purpose of checking in ahead of time is supposed to be to expedite the clearance of the vessel. If I had done everything the cruiseline and airline told me to do, and had not had so much as a warning raised in the check-in process, I think I would have assumed everything was fine as well. For instance, a couple of years ago I traveled to Australia. As a government employee traveling on official business, I didn't require a visa (ETA), but the downside was I had to check in for my flight at the airport, and the airline actually had to clear me with the Australian embassy. The last time I went, I paid the AUS $20 to have an ETA and breezed through the system.

If the OP was planning to check-in at the port and didn't have a Setsail for the children, then none of that would apply.

EU law requires a 3 month validity of your passport for a Schengen visa and by the time of your entry (not 3 months after the cruise). In the OP´s case the airline wasn´t allowed to board the 3 kids as their passports weren´t valid for another 3 months. So no way to get to Europe for them (Schengen countries).

The 6 months rule is by the cruise line. This is the most common period of time a passport has to be valid for most countries.

No, it´s not customs in Germany which is reponsible for passport problems but the federal police which is resposible for border controls (at the airports as all land borders are connecting with other Schengen countries).

No, my German passport has to be valid for the duration of my trip to the US not for 3 or 6 months. As the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA) allows me to stay 90 days in the US the passport should be valid for another 90 days after entering the US. Anyway if you passport is only valid for 30 days and you leave after 14 days the CBP might ask you for a return flight ticket at immigration.

steamboats

In Germany (and I believe in other EU countries) at the port there is a customs office.

If you can provide them a proof that you are who you say you are you can get a new temporary passport to travel within the EU (at least - don't know where it works outside the US) within 30mins incl. taking a picture!

I do not know if this only works within the EU or for EU residents only - but don't give up so easy! You even had valid passports...

A US citizen is not going to be able to get a temporary US passport from a European/EU/Schengen customs office. US passports are issued only by the US Dept of State, either directly or via a US embassy or consulate depending on the circumstances. As the OP's situation was a day-of-travel foul up, I doubt even the state dept could have gotten them new passports before their flight departed.

I'm not sure if any other countries are doing this but in Canada we now have the option of selecting a 10yr term ($160)for our passport as well as the standard 5 yr term ($120).

10 years is standard for adults in the US.

On a whim, looked at cruises leaving the following day, and got 3 of the last 4 rooms on the Disney Dream for a 4 night carribbean cruise. It was not ideal (we had been on the same cruise 2 other times) but Disney could not have been more accommodating and worked hard to make it work for us and at that point, it beat going home after being fully prepared to be taken care of for 7 nights.

Berddog, - welcome to Cruise Critic! And thank you for taking the time to warn others to check passport expirations and destination requirements. I appreciate you sharing this as a learning experience.

Glad to hear you were able to salvage part of the vacation - and your parents' milestone anniversary celebration - with a family cruise after all!

Edited by slc22

How many of us, even though we do this all the time, just checked our passports? And the visa requirements on our route, again, just to be sure??

I am very curious if the OP used Royal's online check-in? If so, and he entered expiration dates that were within the 90 days Royal was going to require, I find it absurd (although we all know the high quality of RCI's IT department) that a simple datelookup function in the underlying code wouldn't have flagged the passports! Part of the purpose of checking in ahead of time is supposed to be to expedite the clearance of the vessel. If I had done everything the cruiseline and airline told me to do, and had not had so much as a warning raised in the check-in process, I think I would have assumed everything was fine as well. For instance, a couple of years ago I traveled to Australia. As a government employee traveling on official business, I didn't require a visa (ETA), but the downside was I had to check in for my flight at the airport, and the airline actually had to clear me with the Australian embassy. The last time I went, I paid the AUS $20 to have an ETA and breezed through the system.

If the OP was planning to check-in at the port and didn't have a Setsail for the children, then none of that would apply.

Something like this would probably expose RCL to MORE problems, because if RCL accepted the responsibility of keeping current on passport requirements and someone missed updating a country, or the website went down, there would be big problems with travelers blaming RCL.

Nope...better that the onus be on the traveler to learn and know the requirements. IMO RCL gives you sufficient opportunity (and links) to get the information on your own.

Something like this would probably expose RCL to MORE problems, because if RCL accepted the responsibility of keeping current on passport requirements and someone missed updating a country, or the website went down, there would be big problems with travelers blaming RCL.

Nope...better that the onus be on the traveler to learn and know the requirements. IMO RCL gives you sufficient opportunity (and links) to get the information on your own.

I would agree with you. I know I'm a crazy over-planner, but if was booking a cruise in a country that I don't travel to often and There was a message that RCL recommends you have 6 months left your on passport (which is an odd suggestion if you don't know the rule since a. RCL doesn't benefit financially if you renew your passport early, and b. why would they care since you are most likely on a 7-14 day cruise). My next step would be to google "Do I really need 6 months on my passport for a european cruise", which probably would have yielded results about the 3 month-6 month rules. RCL can't be expected to keep up with every countries custom rules, if the 6 month reminder works for most-all countries they go to, that seems sufficient. They wouldn't want to say 6 months is required, and then have someone complain because only 3 months was required on their cruise; or say 3 months min is required and then have someone complain that a 6 month min was required on their cruise. The 6 month recommendation with follow up links seems the most legally safe approach.

Yes. We had our Set Sail pre boarding check-ins all completed. As far as RC, I frankly do not remember when I entered in passport info (including expiration dates of the individual passports) or where, I only know that I did.

I do know that when I got boarding passes from the airline the day before, I did have to enter in passport numbers and expire dates. Not sure why it wasn't flagged right then, and instead, upon actually showing up at the airport. We weren't at the airline desk 30 seconds before she told us there was a problem with the kids passports and expire date.

Actually, they don't have to keep current. 90 days is 90 days, regardless of the country. A pop-up warning that many countries require 90 days remaining before expiration on your passport upon arrival, please confirm the requirements of countries on your itinerary would cover it. And, the basic RCI web page that recommends six months could easily have a subparagraph that says some nations require 90 days. They've ultimately absolved themselves of any responsibility with their disclaimers, and it is clearly the traveler's responsibility, but they have your passport information. They could choose to use it for customer service...

OMG, so sorry for you!! That is such a stupid a$$ rule....what is the point of an expiration date?

The expiration date is a date that tells officials when the passport can longer be official identification of your person. A lot of countries have passport requirements, even the U.S. I'm not allowed to enter the U.S. If my passport doesn't have 90 days left even if I'm only staying a week, why, because my ESTA would allow me to stay up to 90 days.

Actually, they don't have to keep current. 90 days is 90 days, regardless of the country. A pop-up warning that many countries require 90 days remaining before expiration on your passport upon arrival, please confirm the requirements of countries on your itinerary would cover it. And, the basic RCI web page that recommends six months could easily have a subparagraph that says some nations require 90 days. They've ultimately absolved themselves of any responsibility with their disclaimers, and it is clearly the traveler's responsibility, but they have your passport information. They could choose to use it for customer service...

There are always improvements that can be made to any website, especially Royal Caribbean's, but at the end of the day, the OP admits to seeing the suggested 6 month statement on the page that was linked. On that same page was a link to the government's website that gives you all the information you need, by country. Had they clicked that, they would have known they needed to renew 3 passports.

It is a tough lesson learned, hopefully, they can recoup at least a partial future cruise credit.

I would agree with you. I know I'm a crazy over-planner, but if was booking a cruise in a country that I don't travel to often and There was a message that RCL recommends you have 6 months left your on passport (which is an odd suggestion if you don't know the rule since a. RCL doesn't benefit financially if you renew your passport early, and b. why would they care since you are most likely on a 7-14 day cruise). My next step would be to google "Do I really need 6 months on my passport for a european cruise", which probably would have yielded results about the 3 month-6 month rules. RCL can't be expected to keep up with every countries custom rules, if the 6 month reminder works for most-all countries they go to, that seems sufficient. They wouldn't want to say 6 months is required, and then have someone complain because only 3 months was required on their cruise; or say 3 months min is required and then have someone complain that a 6 month min was required on their cruise. The 6 month recommendation with follow up links seems the most legally safe approach.

Pretty much this. When I am planning a vacation, especially one that is expensive AND overseas, I look into things like passport and visa regs all on my own. And then I keep checking every month or so (more often as it gets closer to the vacation) to see if there have been changes I need to be aware of. I would never depend on someone else to tell me what I needed to take responsibility for.

When I first got my passport I heard about the "at least 6 months left" rule for many places and have just automatically flagged about a month before that 6-month mark so I can renew and not have to worry about it. I just take that on as part of my responsibility as a traveler/

Very sorry to hear that and good of you to take the time to post - It may save someones holiday.

I hope you all still managed to do/go somewhere else nice in stead. Good luck with your insurance but you may struggle with that.

Agreed. It was very nice of her to post her experience.

Thank to the Op for posting a warning. Sorry you couldn't make the European trip. It is our responsibility to check the requirements of where we are visiting but sometimes life gets in the way. And sometimes things are overlooked. We've got a reminder sett 9 months out to ensure my DH passport that expires in 2016 gets sorted.

As a general rule, 6 months is the "safe" zone.

I agree that you loose 6 months out of every 5 year passeport, but this is the rule in many countries.

I am in Canada and ccan't go to the USA for a day trip if I don't have 6 months.

Lesson learned - we spend hours planning these trips, but forget to take 30 min to read the "travel documents required" that is usually sent with our tickets.

Hope this entire post saves somebody else's vacation.

Yes, I think that the online check in should flag the passport date. I was checking in a few years ago for a cruise on another line and when I put in my passport information, it came back flagged and in red that passport expiration date was unacceptable. I had plenty of time to renew the passport since I usually check in as soon as I book a cruise.

Too bad that RCCL now won't let you check in until 90 days in advance because that cuts the amount of time people have to get a renewal.

We flew to Mexico last year for our anniversary and the couple ahead of us were not allowed to board the plane. Mexico requires 6 months of validity from your return date and they only had 2 months left. United said they would get fined if they allowed them to board. The wife was in tears.

Unfortunately, it was a Saturday and even if they went to the passport office in Houston on Monday morning and got one issued on the spot, they still would have missed 3 days of a 4 day vacation. The gate agent tried to console them and recommended they looking into getting on phone or internet to find a hotel in Costa Rica. There was room on the next Costa Rica flight and she was willing to switch them over for only a little more money. Costa Rica requires passports to be valid for the length of the trip, not for any length of time beyond. I didn't get to see what they decided to do because we boarded the plane.

Edited by DebJ14

Also a good reminder to take what people say on CC with a grain of salt. Many times I have read comments by people saying you don't have to have 6 months left and of course there are those who don't have passports and seem to think no one else should bother getting them either!

OMG, so sorry for you!! That is such a stupid a$$ rule....what is the point of an expiration date?

Most countries require you to have extra time on your passport (the majority of countries I've been to require 6 months). This means that if something happens for whatever reason you have to stay in the country longer than intended at least you passport is valid for you to return home.

The expiration date is a date that tells officials when the passport can longer be official identification of your person. A lot of countries have passport requirements, even the U.S. I'm not allowed to enter the U.S. If my passport doesn't have 90 days left even if I'm only staying a week, why, because my ESTA would allow me to stay up to 90 days.

Nope, for EU citizens (at least Schengen countries which UK is not) it´s o.k. when your passport is valid for the duration of your stay in the US.

Airlines have to check the validity of the passports prior to boarding because they have to bring back the passenger on their (the airlines) expense when the passenger is denied entry to the arrival country.

The fine print of RCI (and any other cruise line) cleary states that the passenger is responsible for having valid travel documents and visas. They don´t have to tell you whether your passport is still valid (or expires too soon). They don´t know whether you´ve applied for a visa or not. Same for the airlines.

Therefore neither a cruise line nor an airline has to "flag" your data when you enter it online. You can have applied for a new passport inbetween and turn up with a valid passport at the check-in counter. With some airlines you can enter your passport data by the time you have booked your flight which can be months ahead.

Sorry to say for the OP but it´s neither the fault of the airline nor the fault of the cruise line. It´s the responsibility of the passenger to have valid travel documentation.

Over here in Germany we had several law suits about this topic when the US changed their rules. The cruise lines only lost the cases when they had provided outdated information in their brochures and did not inform the passengers about the changes. But those where the times when the cruise lines had detailed visa and passport information in their fine print. Now all cruise lines only state that it´s up to the passenger to have valid travel documentation (without saying anything specific about a certain country).

BTW here in Germany we have a very unlucky wording for a specific document for children. It´s called "children´s passport". Many if not most parents do think this is a regular passport which it isn´t (although it even looks pretty similar to a full passport). This specific children´s passport is not valid for the visa waiver program. Anyway you can enter the data and get it approved by ESTA. Each year our newspapers at least run one article about a family showing up at the airport for a flight to the US and the kids only have this children´s passport. No way they can fly as a temporary passport (issued by the federal police and the local authorities) is also not valid for the visa waiver program (meaning with a temporary passport or a children´s passport you need a full visa which can only issued by the US embassy).

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

A good Travel Agent will always check passport details and advise of the earliest date of expiry suitable for a particular trip. One of the reasons why the passports must be valid for 90 days ( some countries require 6 months) is to make certain that validity is long enough to take care of any unforseen travel changes, such as prolonged hospitalisation.