Here Are Some Luminae Menus

kitty9

Here are examples of the dinner menus in Luminae on Summit.

Appetizers

Tuna Tartar with Caper Berries and Black Olives

Sugar Snap Pea Salad with Radishes and Mint

Seafood Veloute with Poached Oysters and Fennel

Crab Cake with Pickled Cucumbers and Mango/Sesame/Sambal Aioli

Entrees

Chestnut Tortellini with Butternut Squash and Black Truffle Butter Sauce

Seared Black Sea Bass with Brussels Sprouts and Beef Oaxtail Marmalade

Guinea Hen with Spaghetti Squash, Sunflower Seeds and Sherry Vinegar

Lamb Loin with Merguez Sausage/Marinated Cucumber/Herb Yogurt

Vegetable and Bean Cassoulet with Ricotta and Mint Crositini

Desserts

Chocolate Mousse with Cherry Marshmallows

Vacherin of Apple or Blueberry

Lemon Olive Oil Custard with Pistachio Sable/Earl Grey Gelee and Creme Fraiche

Appetizers

Chicken Liver Custard with Pickled Turnips and Sourdough Toast

Burrata with Toasted Pistachio and Balsamic

Wild Mushroom Consomme with Farro and Thyme

Grilled Octopus with Olives, Potatoes and Smoked Paprika

Entrees

Ricotta Cavatelli with Duck Bolognese and Pecorino

Peppered Tuna with Potato Puree and Spinach in a Pinot Noir Sauce

Roasted Chicken Breast with Endive and Fig Pine Nut Marmalade

Braised Short Ribs with Cannolini Beans and Stewed Tomatoes

Thai Green Vegetable Curry with Jasmine Rice, Bell Peppers and Cashews

Desserts

Bitter Sweet Chocolate Tart

Ricotta Cheesecake in Blueberry or Lemon

Coconut Cremeux with Vanilla Meringue and Mango Tuile

Appetizers

Smoked Trout with Heats of Palm

Iceberg Wedge with Bacon and Shallots

Shellfish Stew with Charred Tomato/Saffron/Potato Confit

Truffle Risotto with Parmigiano-Reggiano

Entrees

Seared Scallops with Brussels Sprouts and Wild Mushrooms

Poached Lobster with Butternut Squash in a Champagne Sauce

Cornish Game Hen with Cracked Wheat/Lemon/Tahini Jus

Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with Olive Oil Potato Puree/Sunchokes/Sauce

Brown Butter Gnocchi with Spinach/Pine Nuts/Sage

Desserts

Chocolate Candy Bar

Baked Alaska

Coconut Tapioca

As you will notice, an extreme lack of beef of any kind with the exception of the ribs, and those were a lot of fat and gristle. One would expect at least one night of Filet or Prime Rib in what's supposed to be an upscale, luxury restaurant.

Edited by kitty9

Thanks for the menus and I'm sorry you missed your beef. As for me, I like eating things I can't pronounce or find in a market at home. Beef I can do anytime myself. But I understand your disappointment. Some of the items seem mundane but I guess they have to please everyone. We're still looking forward to the experience.

It's unfortunate if the beef dishes are not made with good cuts of meat. I must say though, it seems that the menus you have included are not quite representative of the full scope of menus.

The full rotation of 14 menus have already been posted here:

Not the Millennium Transpacific Review ... Luminae, Suite Class, etc. ...

Each night there is a pasta dish, a fish/seafood dish, and a veggie dish; as well as two meat dishes. The two meat dishes are usually a poultry and a non-poultry dish.

It appears the full rotation includes 7 beef dishes to go with several veal dishes, including a filet mignon and a Chateaubriand.

Filet Mignon, Cote de Boeuf, NY Strip, Lamb Loin, Short Rib, Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb, Sirloin, Veal Chop, NY Strip, Pork Tenderloin, Veal Cheeks, Lamb Shank, Chateaubriand (or Veal Chop), Rack of Pork

Also, while I am a big fan of a nice, tender filet, most chefs in "luxury" restaurants will tell you that they only serve filet because people expect it, and that other cuts (like the rib cuts - which show up on the Luminae menus twice) are much more flavorful.

We were on Equinox first cruise of the suite life.

We found the service in Luminae excellent. Staff were really keen to ensure everyone had a great time.

Food we found very mixed. We had some really nice meals, some OK ones and one or two we didn't like. Pretty much what we would expect when we are willing to experiment. We did find some of the 'sauces' by any other name sometimes just did not seem to match the main ingredient. We are very aware we could have asked to change anything and it would have been done. I would have found fuller descriptions useful.

We were lucky as we were in a RS we had unlimited speciality dining so if we looked at the menu and did not see anything we liked or we needed a beef fix we could go somewhere else. I have been pleased to hear that MDR options are also now available giving Luminae guests a wider selection.

Don't get me wrong, our Luminae experience was very positive. We are looking forward to dining there again on our next cruise. We did, however, see the Wow in Luminae being the service rather than the food.

It's unfortunate if the beef dishes are not made with good cuts of meat. I must say though, it seems that the menus you have included are not quite representative of the full scope of menus.

Each night there is a pasta dish, a fish/seafood dish, and a veggie dish; as well as two meat dishes. The two meat dishes are usually a poultry and a non-poultry dish.

It appears the full rotation includes 7 beef dishes to go with several veal dishes, including a filet mignon and a Chateaubriand.

Filet Mignon, Cote de Boeuf, NY Strip, Lamb Loin, Short Rib, Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb, Sirloin, Veal Chop, NY Strip, Pork Tenderloin, Veal Cheeks, Lamb Shank, Chateaubriand (or Veal Chop), Rack of Pork

Also, while I am a big fan of a nice, tender filet, most chefs in "luxury" restaurants will tell you that they only serve filet because people expect it, and that other cuts (like the rib cuts - which show up on the Luminae menus twice) are much more flavorful.

Thank you for pointing all this out....we were on a 16 night cruise and there certainly were nights with beef....my husband loved the Cote de Boeuf, Veal Cheeks and others...and I the lamb, veal chop, lamb shank...... I like to eat what I can't get everyday on land and Luminae offered that....we did not have a bad meal....some were outstanding and some just good, but all were prepared excellently and it was fun trying different foods ...

Edited by Gracie115

Thank you for sharing. I agree with your points made about more flavorful cuts of meat. Braised short ribs are a favorite of mine when properly cooked.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

On Infinity 12 night from San Francisco the carnivore other half raved about how good the beef was - even the night he had the MDR steak served

Suppose it's a matter of taste and food is subjective.

Thank you for posting. I do have a question as to whether people who experienced Luminae believe it's the best dining on board, or if there is another specialty restaurant that offers better service/food quality.

My view shared by many on our cruise on Infinity is it surpassed the speciality (United States) in terms of food quality, presentation and service.

Be aware, the service is different, you do not have silly dinging of butter dish lids or faffing around removing lids from dishes

You have genuine, personal service that is attentive and of a high quality

Thank you for posting. I do have a question as to whether people who experienced Luminae believe it's the best dining on board, or if there is another specialty restaurant that offers better service/food quality.

We thought it was better than ALL the spec. restaurants on Eclipse and far better service....

I'm torn on an upcoming cruise on the Connie.... upgrade to a suite for the dining options and Michaels, or keep my awesome balcony and purchase the ultimate dining package for 1/4 of the price. I'd appreciate the thoughts of those who have sailed with Luminae.

Edited by 81Zoomie

Although the meals look far better than the MDR, In my opinion, they have a long way to go to match the "Grills" experience I've had on Cunard. Maybe another year or 2 they'll have it down pat. Still in the experimental stage.

OP: We were just on the Summit early June. During the seven day cruise I had in Luminae; Filet Mignon, Chateaubriand, Short Ribs and Beef Wellington. I am by no way am a food connoisseur and the menu was a bit over my head since DH and I rarely eat out. But on our trip there seemed to be plenty of beef being offered and it was absolutely delicious. Sorry you missed out. I do have to say that the beef wellington came from the MDR.

MA Bell: Thanks for the memories thru your pictures. Can't wait till our next trip to Bermuda.

Victoria

Although the meals look far better than the MDR, In my opinion, they have a long way to go to match the "Grills" experience I've had on Cunard. Maybe another year or 2 they'll have it down pat. Still in the experimental stage.

Why did you feel the Grill has superior food than what you experienced in Luminae? Interested in hearing your comparisons.

Thanks.

You are so correct. We found that the standard format of the menu you described to be a great help. If we thought the description on the menu was ambiguous, knowing where it appeared on the menu helped our understanding.

We actually found the choices of beef and veal cuts to be brilliant. It is far too easy on board to have a filet mignon or other [what we in the UK would call a] steak-cut of beef. We had become so bored with the menus in the specialty restaurant menu on board we may have stopped cruising. The Luminae menu was so refreshing and we loved, for example, the beef and veal cheeks. [you will find our other highlights on the link you provided.]

Personally, I would not like to see the Luminae menus change too much, except that for day 1 which was, in our opinion, underwhelming and is, perhaps, why there have been a number of reports of guest trying Luminae once and then going elsewhere.

I'm torn on an upcoming cruise on the Connie.... upgrade to a suite for the dining options and Michaels, or keep my awesome balcony and purchase the ultimate dining package for 1/4 of the price. I'd appreciate the thoughts of those who have sailed with Luminae.

I would choose the Luminae/Michael's Club option anytime.

Prior to our latest cruise, we had purchased the Ultimate Dining Package on every cruise for which it was offered. Prior to that since 2009, we only ate in the specialty restaurants. We had one lunch and once dinner in Olympic on our latest cruise and was very disappointed.

Michael's Club, in our opinion, is also a valuable perk. It is a big price hike from a balcony to a CS on any cruise but you are, in effect, purchasing a very different cruise.

My view shared by many on our cruise on Infinity is it surpassed the speciality (United States) in terms of food quality, presentation and service.

Be aware, the service is different, you do not have silly dinging of butter dish lids or faffing around removing lids from dishes

You have genuine, personal service that is attentive and of a high quality

... nor any of the very annoying and very over-rated "table-side cooking".

I would choose the Luminae/Michael's Club option anytime.

Prior to our latest cruise, we had purchased the Ultimate Dining Package on every cruise for which it was offered. Prior to that since 2009, we only ate in the specialty restaurants. We had one lunch and once dinner in Olympic on our latest cruise and was very disappointed.

Michael's Club, in our opinion, is also a valuable perk. It is a big price hike from a balcony to a CS on any cruise but you are, in effect, purchasing a very different cruise.

... nor any of the very annoying and very over-rated "table-side cooking".

couldn't agree more....and also concur with your wish that Luminae NOT change their menu much.....we enjoyed it very much... and Michael's Club was a wonderful perk!

Thank you so much for those wonderful photos.............. if only I weren't such a picky eater, I'd be salivating looking at them. I'm really looking forward to experiencing Luminae but dreading the prospect of ordering from those menus that have been posted here - except for the desserts LOL If your photos are anything to go by, I expect they'll be utterly scrumptious!

Why did you feel the Grill has superior food than what you experienced in Luminae? Interested in hearing your comparisons.

Thanks.

The main differnce was being able to readily go "off" menu, if nothing appealed to me. I think that Luninae is still in it's infancy with some kinks to work out. Cunard's Grills have been a staple on their ships for decades & now the others are trying it out..Celebrity's Luminae,NCL's "Haven", MSC's Yacht Club. Celebrity's Luminae seems to be the best version of a Suite's only restaurant when compared to Cunard. The line's are both quite similar, with Celebrity being somewhat less formal in their dresscodes(especially considering which ship)We find the Eclipse to be more formal in style, probably due to longer trips & being headquartered out of Britain when doing Med. trips.

OP: We were just on the Summit early June. During the seven day cruise I had in Luminae; Filet Mignon, Chateaubriand, Short Ribs and Beef Wellington.

Victoria

Do you recall whether the Beef Wellington was on the regular Luminae menu? I mention this because it's not among the items posted previously, which could indicate some additional menus floating around.

Do you recall whether the Beef Wellington was on the regular Luminae menu? I mention this because it's not among the items posted previously, which could indicate some additional menus floating around.

I am too lazy to scroll back but I am sure the poster said that the Beef Wellington was from the MDR menu.

By the way, I had the Beef Wellington at the Captain's Table and really cannot recommend it! The beef was OK but the pastry dreadful.