Why Am I So Blue? (aka: Loyalty Levels)

Chunder Worthy

Nothng wrong with blue we're all Blue once.

Well, not really for everyone. When I started cruising, they didn't have these categories/levels. Boy do I feel old and am only in my mid-40's.

I much preferred when I started cruising, that the cruise cards were a beautiful picture of the ship at sea. I wish they would do that again.

Edited by Coral

Short of controlling under age drinking I hate classification systems or status cards. It's no ones business and frankly disrespectful to your fellow passengers. Some passengers may not have the financial ability to make cruising a yearly event.

Rewards for past voyages or for special consideration when booking future cruises should be noted in your cruise documents and is no ones business except yours. When a cruise card is 'swiped' the reading computer isn't looking at what color the card is it's just retrieving data. I'm the kind of person that likes to wear his designer cloths with the labels on the inside and find any form of status labeling tasteless ;).

I'll be handed a blue card this summer as a first time Princess traveler but that card will stay in my pocket and displayed only when needed. As a side note I've traveled on ships since I was a youngster and would easily qualify for a cruise line lapel pin proclaiming me 'a very seasoned traveler'. I look forward to this upcoming trip aboard a Princess ship. I'll be easy to find as I'll be the traveler without his card being displayed (or worse, draped around his neck on formal night :D). Yes I've seen that.

Wow! You sound very unhappy and you have not even sailed yet. Everyone is different and probably don't feel the way you do. You are entitled to your opinion for sure but don't be a killjoy for everyone else. :(

Sorry, but the links above do take you to the page where all the Captain's Circle levels are explained ... EXCEPT for yours. :( Your "Blue" level means you have not completed any Princess cruises ... and (sorry to say) will have no "perks" ... AFTER you complete this first cruise, you will move up to the beautiful GOLD card! And at that point the little benefits will start showing up.

So, Blue, don't be blue ... just go and enjoy your first experience with Princess. I'm sure you'll be back and ... before you know it ... you'll be flashing that coveted "Black" card! :D

[From me, the OP:] Ahhh, I SEE said the blind man. I was wondering why nothing showed about MY color. I guess I'm at the Steerage Circle level with the nuns and soldiers -- but having the most fun! s0218.gif

Mike

Wow! You sound very unhappy and you have not even sailed yet. Everyone is different and probably don't feel the way you do. You are entitled to your opinion for sure but don't be a killjoy for everyone else. :(

I dunno... While Magnum60's comments do have a negative tone, they're also matter-of-fact and understandable.

Obviously it's a class system, and unfortunately from the spirit of what I've been reading over the last few months, not subtly exercised by management or passengers. One is left with the impression that those who inordinately display their top status do so only because they might be going (slightly) too far if they wear crowns and tiaras on their heads. Conversely, bottom-level folks are made to feel that everybody wants to hose them off the decks while German shepherds are biting them in the behind. There's something a little untoward and even nasty about the whole schmear, y'know? I appreciate and comprehend rewarding loyal and repeat customers. They should be rewarded! It just shouldn't be at the expense of boot-pulling one set of people up, while pushing another set down. I mean hell, when we used to collect S&H Green Stamps (folks under 50 or who regularly employ butlers won't get this), we'd individually and quietly paste them in our books until they were full and we were ready to redeem them for our gifts; we didn't go through the neighborhood wearing them around our necks to show others what entitled jerks we were.

Mike

We had this happen to us when going from Platinum to Elite. A glitch in the Princess booking engine does not update your status after your booking. Your TA or Princess should be able to have that information updated. You will be Elite on your cruise.

Status isnt updated after booking, its updated after cruising.

I mean hell, when we used to collect S&H Green Stamps (folks under 50 or who regularly employ butlers won't get this), we'd individually and quietly paste them in our books until they were full and we were ready to redeem them for our gifts; we didn't go through the neighborhood wearing them around our necks to show others what entitled jerks we were.

Speak for yourself! :p;) The card-waving you speak of is highly exaggerated. There will be the occasional show off, but it's not everywhere and everyone. The looking-down-the-nose at the blue cards is also highly exaggerated. In fact, I don't remember ever hearing someone remark on the blueness of anyone's card (at least within my earshot.) Why don't you wait until you actually do the cruise to draw conclusions about this? :)

Speak for yourself! :p;) The card-waving you speak of is highly exaggerated. There will be the occasional show off, but it's not everywhere and everyone. The looking-down-the-nose at the blue cards is also highly exaggerated. In fact, I don't remember ever hearing someone remark on the blueness of anyone's card (at least within my earshot.) Why don't you wait until you actually do the cruise to draw conclusions about this? :)

Yes take the cruise!!!! :cool:

I have completed 3 cruises with Princess. I can't think of a single instance in which someone flaunted their status or looked down their noses at those of a lower status. Has it happened? Yes, no doubt it has, but my experience is that it is very, very far from wide spread. Reading cc can make it seem like it is an issue, but as I walk around the ship, ride the elevators, dine at any venue etc., I have no idea what anyone's status is. Banish these thoughts from your mind and don't even imagine that there will be some sort of class structure that will interfere with your enjoyment. Have a great cruise!

PS: I forgot... There is a Captain's Circle cocktail party for those above blue. They announce most traveled, have drinks and appetizers. No big deal and no one was bragging or flaunting anything. Being invited to this event did not make my cruise any more special or memorable than on my first Princess cruise, when I was not invited.

Obviously it's a class system, and unfortunately from the spirit of what I've been reading over the last few months, not subtly exercised by management or passengers. One is left with the impression that those who inordinately display their top status do so only because they might be going (slightly) too far if they wear crowns and tiaras on their heads. Conversely, bottom-level folks are made to feel that everybody wants to hose them off the decks while German shepherds are biting them in the behind. There's something a little untoward and even nasty about the whole schmear, y'know? I appreciate and comprehend rewarding loyal and repeat customers. They should be rewarded! It just shouldn't be at the expense of boot-pulling one set of people up, while pushing another set down.

No one can make you feel differently if that's how you feel - but the only "class system" here is in your head. I'm sure there's a handful of nasty passengers out there that flaunt their loyalty status, but they should be easy to avoid (like any other rude person). If someone is wearing their platinum-whatever key card on a lanyard around their neck, it's so that they don't lose it - if you think they're "shoving" it in your face, that's your hang-up, not theirs.

On my very first Princess cruise I shared the dinner table at the MDR with 2 couples that had 400+ cruising days on Princess. I don't see how their status took away from my own enjoyment of the cruise (and they were lovely people, very interesting to talk to).

For those who think that it is all about a CLASS system, that is your opinion. However, look around in everyday life. In reality, it is around us daily. In the stores we shop in, cars we drive, schools we go to, etc. People are people and those who need to show their status are those that are very insecure in themselves. Enjoy your cruise and don't think of those who am minus the CL.

There is a range of cruise lines which if you have travelled with previously will give you Princess cruise credits. In this way; provided you have notified them prior to cruising of all your previous cruises with the said lines, you can start at a higher level.

Regards John

This will also be our first time with Princess. We've sailed 2 other lines in the Carnival fold, but weren't asked about this when we booked, and when it was mentioned to our Group Event Coordinator chappie, to see if there might be

some quid pro quo in terms of loyalty, told not applicable.

This after deposit but before final payment. On NCL we've just made their highest tier, Platinum, but will be the new kids on Princess and don't except anything special*, just a wonderful experience and some restful pampering.

Edited by kcfoxy
*BTW: on NCL/RCL often jumped to VIP status for M&G Leader...oh well ;)

I haven't experienced any card flashing either. In fact, a couple of cruises ago, we were sharing a table with a nice couple. They never said how many cruises they've been on, but said they enjoy Princess a lot. He coaches a special ed kids team. The next day's Patter had a photo of the most traveled couple on the ship: it was them!

We'll be Platinum on our next cruise after five cruises on Princess since 2003...so obviously we don't go on a cruise every year and have had several years between some of our cruises (and even any vacations) in the past. And if our daughter goes on another cruise after she turns the right age, she'll get that silver card. But for her, it'll be the Internet credits she'll like, which would be the same for me.

There's something a little untoward and even nasty about the whole schmear, y'know? I appreciate and comprehend rewarding loyal and repeat customers. They should be rewarded! It just shouldn't be at the expense of boot-pulling one set of people up, while pushing another set down.

Can you give a personal example of this on princess?

I've encountered plenty of nasty people on cruises;

usually they had their cards in their pockets, and were

screaming at some employee about some perceived

injustice.

Is there anyone left (besides myself) who still just lives life as it happens?

I don't need to pick which appetizer I'm going to have two years before my

cruise -- I'll just wait until the waiter hands me a menu.

Edited by pablo222

Back when we were "Blue" or "Gold" we would often find us sharing a table or near-by seats in a lounge with more experienced (aka "Platinum" or "Black" card holders) cruisers and NEVER found any of them flaunting their status. And, we learned a LOT from these more experienced cruisers. They are usually full of information regarding both things on the ship and advice as to different ports, things to do, etc. Enjoy your cruise ... and do converse with these "experienced" cruisers ... you'll be amazed at what you will learn from them. :)

Status isnt updated after booking, its updated after cruising.

The status which needed confirming was after the other poster had cruised IE Cal Cruiser raises a different point. Cruises had been undertaken in the past few years but for some unknown reason; and it has happened to me, the cruise line has your name and address but puts your cruises into two separate Captains Circle accounts classifying you as two different people. When you draw this to the cruise lines attention they amalgamate them and give you a single account. In your new single identity account your Captains Circle level does not get declared until after the completion of a cruise. It is not that particular cruise that actually qualifies you to the next level, that would have happened many cruises previously if you had been regarded as one person not two. However under the administration system it seems to hold you down a level for your next cruise.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

This will also be our first time with Princess. We've sailed 2 other lines in the Carnival fold, but weren't asked about this when we booked, and when it was mentioned to our Group Event Coordinator chappie, to see if there might be some quid pro quo in terms of loyalty, told not applicable.

I believe that cruises taken with other lines in the Carnival group are not applied until after your first Princess cruise. That was certainly true with us. Now we find other cruises in the group are added automatically.

I'm new to Princess and leaving in a few days on an Alaska cruisetour. Very excited!

I selected Princess based on the itinerary and small ship experience (Pacific Princess). I've never been to Alaska and I'm looking forward to all that this trip will offer.

I've not cruised as much as most on this board, but what 'tier' I might be at on a cruiseline loyalty program did not even factor into my vacation decision.

I would consider it very strange if my loyalty status on a cruiseline (or an airline, for that matter) was of interest to another passenger.

Wishing everyone good times ahead!!

My nine year old grandsons think it is mighty unfair that they still have blue cards. Kids stay blue until age 18.

Could Princess give them a gold card with blue stripes?

Edited by skf

My nine year old grandsons think it is mighty unfair that they still have blue cards. Kids stay blue until age 18.

Could Princess give them a gold card with blue stripes?

That might work! They think it's wrong that mommy and daddy and grandma have cards that are different colors from theirs. ;) I wouldn't be surprised if they make Elite before they are 18. (We like to cruise! LOL)

I'm new to Princess and leaving in a few days on an Alaska cruisetour. Very excited!

I selected Princess based on the itinerary and small ship experience (Pacific Princess). I've never been to Alaska and I'm looking forward to all that this trip will offer.

That is a fabulous cruise on the perfect ship. You are going to have the best time!

Our first few cruises we had no idea why some people had different colour cards or why the colour of our card changed.

in all honesty I still don't care, just get puzzled at times by how they work it all.

Blue cards rock. You only get ONE first cruise. Of course one may have sailed many times on other lines but I like to think of the blue card holders as the lucky people taking their first cruise.

Cruise personaliser says Elite. But I have been told it is the level at the time I booked that will apply.

Not true.

Contact Princess to update the information in the personalizer for your booking. It does not change automatically, so human intervention is needed.