Do you consider 'A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickel and diming by Del Rio?

fstuff1

More nickel and diming?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. More nickel and diming?

• Yes
    • No

Since it's not a required purchase, I don't consider it nickel and diming. It's offering something additional to passengers that they can either choose to buy, or choose not to.
I'm with you, it is a choice not a requirement, so not nickel and diming. The only way one can be nickel and dimed, is if they pull that money out of their wallet...no company can nickel and dime you unless you let them.

I consider it nickel and diming. To have a comparable dining experience to the price fixed menu will likely cost significantly more now. the only way to spend less at specialty now is to get a significant reduction in what you order. I think when everything has fees added that is the definition of nickel and diming. You can opt to avoid it, sure, but eventually it will be the buffet only for free and people will claim it still isn't nickel and diming.

The prices quoted sound like full list for the quality on offer -- with no discount for the "free" meal you are passing up in the MDR -- and will raise the cost of the average meal above the previous charge. So this is definitely nickel and diming -- or $5 and $20-ing!

I don't care for specialty anyway so if passing the cost of these restaurants on those who actually use them means lower cruise fares for everyone else then I'm all for it (Same with the room service charge)

However I wasn't born yesterday and I know the money or going to probably end up in NCL's balance sheet and not rank-and-file cruisers bank accounts.

If the UDP/SDP prices stay the same then "no" since it provides more options to people. If Cagney's and Le Bistro are taken off the UDP/SDP or their prices change, then "yes." Anyone notice Teppanyaki was quietly increased to $29.95 from $20? Doesn't matter if you've got the UDP/SDP, but if you just have a specialty dining credit...

When I go to specialty dining restaurants, I often order multiple appetizers and desserts. The places with the most options are Le Bistro and Cagney's, so I view this a la carte pricing as a way to curtail this behavior. Who on God's Green Earth is going to go to Cagney's and pay a la carte for a shrimp cocktail of three shrimps, a quarter cup of green beans or three onion rings? Who would pay money for two baby burgers (kobe beef sliders)? Last time I went to Cagney's, I had the 8 oz fillet and it was good, but I couldn't get two of them since that is already against the "rules" and would have incurred a $10 fee for additional main courses.

I'm beginning to think NCL releases these press releases with a lack of detail on purpose to gauge the reaction.

Depends what happens to daily UDP rate.

But more than that, it depends on the standard of MDR service. If MDR service standard drops, pushing people to Specialty, then yeah, it's N-&-D, huge.

If MDR quality and service drop more in order to push people to specialty what is the point of the service charges if they don't get you anything decent to start with?

This is a fine line NCL is walking here.

I feel similarly about theme parks. Once you are in the parks everything has a high price tag. Of course you can do without it, but the point remains that so much is not included without exorbitantly high prices tacked on for additions.

but now however, I can take up a table with a reservation and only order $4.99 app. ;) How much is 18% on $4.99 ?

how will this work with reservations? will I still be able to reserve Cagny's at 7? even if I only get a salad is the whole hour gone?

I said no. This is totally to each their own and not a required thing.

However, not quite sure it would benefit the cruise line by taking up a table for an appetizer only when it could have been used by someone buying a full meal.

I couldn't vote on my Ipad Air 2, and can't click on links for some reason, but I would call this nickle and diming as it is pricing every little thing separately, kind of like European restaurants charging for a pat of butter.

We just made Platinum after our last cruise, before KS left. Next cruise not until February. I was so excited to make Platinum but this road is heading towards making that a not very special affair....

While specialty dining is not a "required" purchase the overall effect is to raise the price on something without a commensurate increase in value to the consumer, so yes, this is another money grab by Del Rio (it is doubtful that anyone would be able to dine in the specialties for what the old cover charge used to be, pluse this sets up a system where they can systematically raise prices over time).

Does this do away with the Specialty Dining Packages in the future?

Since those weren't even introduced until after Andy Stuart had said Cagney's was going a la carte (which was a few months ago), I would doubt it.

more maximizing of shareholder value at the expense of us customers :mad:

If you show me a business that doesn't do exactly what you just wrote, I'll show you a business that will fail. The entire idea of any business is to be profitable. It's one thing to be upset about the change. It's another to basically say you hope NCL goes out of business.

Edited by LrgPizza

If the UDP/SDP prices stay the same then "no" since it provides more options to people. If Cagney's and Le Bistro are taken off the UDP/SDP or their prices change, then "yes." Anyone notice Teppanyaki was quietly increased to $29.95 from $20?

The current price of Teppanyaki is $25 not $20. Are they really increase it to $29.95?

The current price of Teppanyaki is $25 not $20. Are they really increase it to $29.95?

the current price is $29 from 25.

they just raised it.

also just raised is la cucina from $15 to $20 :(

so now all the udp specialty restaurants are either $20 or $30.

(ocean blue is still $40 and not covered by udp.)

Edited by fstuff1

If you show me a business that doesn't do exactly what you just wrote, I'll show you a business that will fail. The entire idea of any business is to be profitable. It's one thing to be upset about the change. It's another to basically say you hope NCL goes out of business.

let me guess.. you're a shareholder?

and holy jumping off the deep end.. "NCL goes out of business."

ncl was growing under sheenhan w/o all of this nickel and diming.

let me guess.. you're a shareholder?

and holy jumping off the deep end.. "NCL goes out of business."

ncl was growing under sheenhan w/o all of this nickel and diming.

I'm not a shareholder in anything. One doesn't have to be to see the ridiculousness in what you posted. You've written the identical words about 3 times now, and I don't think it means what you think it means.

I'm not a shareholder in anything. One doesn't have to be to see the ridiculousness in what you posted. You've written the identical words about 3 times now, and I don't think it means what you think it means.

according to my poll, ALOT of people disagrees with u

The prices quoted sound like full list for the quality on offer -- with no discount for the "free" meal you are passing up in the MDR -- and will raise the cost of the average meal above the previous charge. So this is definitely nickel and diming -- or $5 and $20-ing!

I agree with this. They are charging the same price as comparable land restaurants, except the problem is we've already paid for room and board as part of our ticket price, so you're in effect double paying for dinner and the true price of the specialty dining is much higher than it appears to be, way more expensive than comparable restaurants at land based resorts when you factor in that you've already paid for board. I just can't imagine a couple will go out and have a nearly $100 steakhouse dinner at Cagneys when they could be eating for free in the MDR, but I guess time will tell.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

Agreed. First of all, no one is forcing you to do the a la carte dining. Plenty of other options are provided.

Obviously, change is hard, but if we want these cruise lines to stay in business, we need to understand their need to make business decisions. These decisions may not be the best thing for us but best for the business.

Edited by wndmom