Crown balcony doors

ardt64

I know this has probably been asked/answered before, but unable to find it. Are the aft balcony doors sliders or a door that pushes open. We might want to keep door open for a bit and trying to decide if I need to pack a bungy cord.

Lisa

I know this has probably been asked/answered before, but unable to find it. Are the aft balcony doors sliders or a door that pushes open. We might want to keep door open for a bit and trying to decide if I need to pack a bungy cord.

Lisa

All sliders, no bungee cord needed. Just stop the door in the desired location and turn the handle down to lock in position.

Be prepared to be chastised for leaving the door open. :cool:

Lisa

They slide. Some posters may chide you for wanting to keep your door open because they claim it messes up the air conditioning. It doesn't, so ignore them. Enjoy your vacation!!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

They slide. Some posters may chide you for wanting to keep your door open because they claim it messes up the air conditioning. It doesn't, so ignore them. Enjoy your vacation!!

There have been several detailed explanations here (some by engineers who should know) why the open door interferes with the air conditioning. My recommendation would be to learn the rules and why they are in place before taking the word of a CC poster to "ignore them."

There have been several detailed explanations here (some by engineers who should know) why the open door interferes with the air conditioning. My recommendation would be to learn the rules and why they are in place before taking the word of a CC poster to "ignore them."

While I personally think the post you are replying to is certainly baseless,

some non-princess ships do have switches that disable the A/C when

one opens the balcony door.

If princess thought this was a big issue, I would think they would

have the same.

At least they got rid of the door stops in the cabins, stopping

the fun folks who would open the hallway door, AND the balcony door,

and make the hallway the same temperature and humidity as the

rest of the caribbean.

The main reason we never leave our balcony sliding glass door open/cracked is because it gets the cabin "sticky" feeling.

Look at your patio rail and chairs in the morning. No matter how high your cabin is , there's salt spray.

No desire to have this in our cabin. :rolleyes:

LuLu

One time we left our slider open on a Panama transit and woke up to find the ceiling and HVAC defuser dripping ..... lesson learned.....don't leave your sliding door open, ignore incorrect posts on CC and adhere the sticker on the door.

We don't leave the slider open because... Princess asks us not to do so. For some bizarre reason that is enough for us. Maybe we are defective or "programmed by the system" or something but we feel that Princess probably has a good reason for asking us not to leave the slider open so we comply. It really doesn't seem lik all that much to ask of us.

We don't leave the slider open because... Princess asks us not to do so. For some bizarre reason that is enough for us. Maybe we are defective or "programmed by the system" or something but we feel that Princess probably has a good reason for asking us not to leave the slider open so we comply. It really doesn't seem lik all that much to ask of us.

It's a good enough reason for us as well! :)

LuLu

Another more important reason to not leave balcony doors open is for safety. Having the door open while the ships is moving draws air into the ship and it creates enormous suction - you will certainly have noticed this if you've tried to open your cabin door with the balcony door open while the ship is underway. One of the big problems that occurred several years ago with the devastating fire on the Star was that the fire, which started on a balcony, was drawn into the ship via open balcony doors. Please do not leave your balcony doors open.

Thrak you have to watch out or you will offend someone! :rolleyes: The "Me" generation has to do their thing! :eek:

Personally, I agree, if Princess asks it, then that is good enough for us! :D

Just Mike

On the Crown and Ruby we have had PH Suites on the Aloha Deck out back (A750 and A751) and never had an air suction issue. We did notice that the AC Vent will get wet if the door is left open for a long period of time. In port there is no issue. BTW we have slept in the recliners at night on the rear deck. There is no turbulence there, however the front facing Suite Decks that is another story.

If you wish to have your balcony door open, then leave it open. Don't worry about it. No where on the door sign (see posting #5) does it state it is prohibited. It is especially nice during the day when using the balcony you can walk in and out or talk from outside to inside.

You will find that when there is a high net wind speed a suction is created that whistles under the cabin door. Also, at night it gets very humid in the cabin if the door is open, things get wet and damp, and the vents may drip.

Thrak you have to watch out or you will offend someone! :rolleyes: The "Me" generation has to do their thing! :eek:

Personally, I agree, if Princess asks it, then that is good enough for us! :D

Just Mike

Perhaps I'm cranky, but I'm getting really tired of this generational war some posters seem to want to kindle. First of all, we have no idea how old anyone is (well, I know how old you are, because you have your photo up). Secondly, I am reasonably confident that a great many of the "Me first" posters you excoriate are actually in your age group, not mine, based on their comments about retirement/grandchildren/other hints I've picked up over the years. So can we knock off with the silly and pointless generational finger-pointing? A self-absorbed nitwit is a self-absorbed nitwit at any age.

If you wish to have your balcony door open, then leave it open. Don't worry about it. No where on the door sign (see posting #5) does it state it is prohibited. It is especially nice during the day when using the balcony you can walk in and out or talk from outside to inside.

You will find that when there is a high net wind speed a suction is created that whistles under the cabin door. Also, at night it gets very humid in the cabin if the door is open, things get wet and damp, and the vents may drip.

might be best to read about this link and the one about leaving the balcony door open http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/articles.cfm?ID=1767

My not so humble opinion might be that some of us may need our

tongue-in-cheek detectors re-calibrated. Not to be too definitive about it. But if this is a long standing feud of which I am unaware... then ... nevermind.

I realize this is a different topic. We will be on the Crown Princess in October for the cruise from L.A. to Tahiti. Could someone please tell me how many quarters are currently needed to use the washers and dryers? I'm sure it's more than our 2013 trip. Thanks, Rita