Fire on Freedom?

Since decks 14 and 15 are closed, what are they doing for the Diamond members since the club is next to Viking Lounge......

I know about the pre-loaded drinks on your card, just wondering if they have designated a different area on the ship for the "cocktail hour(s) time....

Aqua, the heat looks pretty intense up at the stacks, but I don't see much, if any, structural damage.

Down and to the left of the Crown and Anchor logo, it's looks like a pretty significant portion of the stack housing bulkhead is damaged....it almost looks like it was torn through.

Edited by Aquahound

The captain has given everyone wifi access but don't know for how long. Granted I am upset as I paid for wifi as many others. I will be talking to them about receiving a credit for this time. Also since everyone has wifi it is super super slow. A lot of sites won't load. Royal Caribbean did give everyone $200 obc per cabin for the fire.

Pretty sure leslie was just updating everyone... this was kind of rude of you..js...

Hmm...sounds like a little more than an update to me and Rick was hardly rude.

Since decks 14 and 15 are closed, what are they doing for the Diamond members since the club is next to Viking Lounge......

I know about the pre-loaded drinks on your card, just wondering if they have designated a different area on the ship for the "cocktail hour(s) time....

Really? - that is your concern after a fire on a ship?

M

Down and to the left of the Crown and Anchor logo, it's looks like a pretty significant portion of the stack housing bulkhead is damaged....it almost looks like it was torn through.

Okay, had only done a quick view. But then, I don't think that is so much "structural", as not much up there actually is. That area looks hollow, so wondering if that could be a ventilation trunk hidden in the outer shell of the stack, and whether it is an E/R trunk. If it is, then there could have been some oily grime in the ducting, and a failed fan heated and ignited it. Looks pretty localized, so not sure problem was far below this.

I'm hopeful you'll wake up this morning and realize your comment was selfish to the extreme. I doubt it though.

Really???

I'm hopeful you'll wake up this morning and realize your comment was selfish to the extreme. I doubt it though.

When I book on Royal, I book a GS cabin or higher - in part to have access to the Concierge Lounge for evening cocktails and snacks.

If that area became inaccessible, I too would ask if they had made alternate arrangements.

I really don't see a selfish component to that. But then again, if I was REALLY selfish, I'd likely not be aware of it being out of line to begin with! ;)

If this ship is not going to require a dry dock for repairs, and if no future cruises are being cancelled, then I'm hopeful that Royal will provide alternate solutions for any areas impacted.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Are you serious? That's your concern?

Selfish to the extreme? Really? It was established that all pax and all but one crew was unscathed, and the trip is going on as scheduled. At that point, the only thing left is information gathering. If they can't ask about parts of the ship they'll utilize, what in everyone's opinion is okay to inquire about?

Jesus. This place. Lol

Edited by TomAceEsq

The fire happened 24 hours ago. With one injury of a 1st degree burn. All passengers are accounted for and are currently (hopefully) enjoying the rest of their cruise. Why can't those who have upcoming cruises (me included) ask these kinds of questions? Why should anyone think these questions are selfish?

M

Really???

Sorry but I didn't think the question was that out of line a whole day after the fire. I mean, they're in Grand Cayman already. Just sayin' ;)

Sorry but I didn't think the question was that out of line a whole day after the fire. I mean, they're in Grand Cayman already. Just sayin' ;)

I agree with you!

Fire are scary, and the reports of one crew member having 1st degree burns is certainly a sad thing, but the incident is over. It appears that RCCL is treating it as a minor inconvenience and the cruise goes on. So yes, I'd also be questioning what they are going to do about a missing amenity promised to passengers who have paid extra for that.

Just image that if, instead of a "Scary fire", this was a water leak that damage the area so the Diamond Lounge had to be closed. Maybe one of the crew members was even slightly injured when trying to clean up the mess. Would people then still say it's "selfish" to wonder what alternate arrangements RCCL is going make?

I saw a photo on the "law" site and folks were in life jackets. Can anyone on board tell me if that was the case, or was that a stock photo that the "law" site used?

Thanks - and I am happy no one was seriously injured.

M

Some had life jackets others didn't. The rooms stewards were in the hall and some told people to take their life jackets, others like ours said not too. We originally walked in the hall with ours and our stateroom attendant said we didn't need them so we threw them back in our rooms, stupid move on our part if we really needed them, but honestly it was hard to think fast because we could see/smell the smoke from our balcony. I took our passports and meds at least!

Captain Ron made a video and they were playing it on the TV, he showed on a diagram what happened etc. The decks that were closed should be opened today. They were just mopping up the water, soot etc. Men were already on the stack last night doing things (not sure what).

I kind of doubt they gave free wi-fi to everyone for the duration of the cruise?? Probably for a certain period of time ... does anyone know how this would work?

And I agree that once the danger is over, it's perfectly okay to ask about alternate arrangements for the areas of the ship that are closed ... sheesh ...

Captain Ron made a video and they were playing it on the TV, he showed on a diagram what happened etc. The decks that were closed should be opened today. They were just mopping up the water, soot etc. Men were already on the stack last night doing things (not sure what).

Thanks for the update!

Some had life jackets others didn't. The rooms stewards were in the hall and some told people to take their life jackets, others like ours said not too. We originally walked in the hall with ours and our stateroom attendant said we didn't need them so we threw them back in our rooms, stupid move on our part if we really needed them, but honestly it was hard to think fast because we could see/smell the smoke from our balcony. I took our passports and meds at least!

Not that stupid a move. If you "really needed them" you would have been issued some when you arrived at your muster station. If you have listened to the announcements at a muster you would be advised that if you were not in your stateroom when the alarm sounded you should proceed to the muster station "where a life jacket will be provided to you."

I noticed that to. I'm fairly certain that would have been steel, so that fire MUST have been pretty dang hot and intense to melt it.

M

Not number one concern. Asking if the buffet line was open or not that is the number one concern??? Also are the elevators working-- that would be number 2 and number 3 -- are the elevators working going to the buffet line?

Seriously though-- no one was killed-- ship was close to a port and fire people had it under control. Captain was on his life boat preparing to direct possible evacuation. Band member ready to assist passengers.

It's not a Cruise Critic thread without varying opinions on what is appropriate in certain situations.

Biker, who chuckled as folks asking questions got flamed for the "inappropriateness" of the question.:cool:

Now that everyone is safe, I'm more interested in seeing how/when this repair gets done! :)

That...and the cause of the fire and the extent of damage. It would be nice to get back on that subject rather than bickering about inappropriate questions.