Fire on Freedom?

It seems like everyone took that WAY out of content and I did not mean it in that way at all. That is the problem with posting and texting these days. I can't edit anymore after I posted it and edited it the first time. So that being said I am not waiting in line for a credit. Nor did I want or expect obc. It wasnt as bad as the media played it out to be. The staff on here are absolutely wonderful. I am glad no one got hurt. Everyone on here was asking questions and I thought I would be nice and try to give you an update but I won't be doing that again nor will I post again. I will just be a watcher of these boards like I used to be. People who know me know I am not a jerk nor am I petty. I would give the shirt off my back if you asked and comfort a child who was scared during this scary time yesterday morning. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope everyone's future cruises are wonderful happy ones. I know mine on freedom of the seas has been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't worry about it, Leslie. You were just reporting what was going on. Some people take everything in a negative way. Most of us understood what you were saying.

I think some need to step back, relax and not be so judgmental with some of the above posts from current FOTS passengers regarding wifi refunds, cocktail hours and such. We need to put ourselves in their position as a passenger on a mega ship that had alarms blaring and smoke bellowing that fear and stress must have overcome those onboard. Some of their comments may sound odd or selfish to us but we are not on this cruise to understand their confusion or emotions that may still prevail them even 24 hours after the fire incident. Not everyone can calmly proceed after such an incident occurs where they feel vulnerable to possible personal harm. Their comments might appear foolish or selfish to us but we have not been put in their situation with possible unanswered questions and/or concerns.

I always try to put myself into a situation that maybe affecting someone else during a problem and try to sympathize and understand how they feel and the choices that are made at that moment and not to judge or condemn those choices.

I'm just grateful that no passenger was injured and the injured crew member didn't sustain a major injury to him/herself.

Now, lets get back to cruising..!!

I am hyperventilating with laughter

over the 'experts' descriptions of 'fire concerns' in this case

been there? done that?

you guys amuse me ......

if one has sat in the CAPTAINS chair .... come and talk to me

if you think you know better than the one who sat in the captains chair

well .... there are a heck of a number of WANNA'S out there

The fire started down in the engine room and traveled up the exhaust system to deck 15. The fire was being fought in 2 spots. Deck 14 and 15 are closed due to water damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess the DL as well as the Viking Crown are closed. Are they having Happy Hour for D/D+/P in another venue? Do you know if these venues will be available on future cruises or is there so much damage that they will be closed for a few cruises. We sail on 8-30-2015.

Captain Ron made a video and they were playing it on the TV, he showed on a diagram what happened etc. The decks that were closed should be opened today. They were just mopping up the water, soot etc. Men were already on the stack last night doing things (not sure what).
Thought it was Captain Tor not Captain Ron. Captain Tor has a Norwegian accent and Captain Ron is from Canada originally.

When we were on the Freedom in June, my DH who spent his career working as an engineer in various power plants around the world working on emission systems, talked to one of the head contractors hired to install the new scrubbers on the stacks. He found the man sitting on the heliport during the night as he was taking a break and they had an interesting conversation.

The new scrubber project was expected to take several months. They have an area walled off with tarps just behind the VCL and up into the stacks. The project is to reduce the amount of emissions that the stacks blow into the air. (Think acid rain) These scrubbers are going to be installed on all ships in the future, much like power plants are doing now.

There was a LOT of welding going on up on those stacks and a lot of contractors working on the project.

Several on this thread have mentioned the scrubber work. When we saw the article about the fire, and the location of the smoke, my DH immediately said. "Yeah, I bet I know what happened"

Will be interesting to find out if this was the cause.

Really interesting assessment Pat. That sounds logical especially with Bucky's expertise.

I will email you in a day or so -- just finished 2 huge event here. Hope all is well with you.

I guess the DL as well as the Viking Crown are closed. Are they having Happy Hour for D/D+/P in another venue? Do you know if these venues will be available on future cruises or is there so much damage that they will be closed for a few cruises. We sail on 8-30-2015.
Did not see the earlier posts and the "interesting" reactions. Glad most folks thought that now that the fire was behind passengers and only one person was hurt, that questions about various ship venues were not terrible.

Can someone please confirm which captain is actually on the ship and when they will switch again? The Current Cruise Captains list shows Capt. Holmes just started his rotation, but people here are saying Capt. Olsen. Just trying to figure out which will be in charge when we sail next month...

Glad to hear everyone is ok!

I'm on the ship now... The captain is Holmes.

I, too, cannot believe some of the attitudes on here. Sometimes, makes me ashamed to be a part of this group. There would be a lot more facts reported from people on board if they didn't get flamed for posting.

I can confirm that when we boarded, we actually rode an elevator with a group of guys in harnesses who told us they were working on the scrubbers.there were huge cranes alongside the ship and huge pieces of equipment. My first reaction to the fire was it had to be related to that.

One more thing.... To the person that said we should be enjoying the cruise instead of standing in line trying to get a credit..... Maybe we should be enjoying the cruise rather than trying you inform "you guys" a little bit about what has been going on. Better yet, when the alarm sounded, we should have just logged onto cruise critic... A lot of you apparently could have told us what is going on.

Gotta log off now and go enjoy my cruise!

How about just being thankful that nobody was seriously hurt, understanding of the fact that the free wifi will allow everyone to reassure loved ones back home, and appreciative that Royal Caribbean recognizes that this was a scary event as well as an inconvenience/disruption and is compensating for that as best they can? Try to enjoy the ship and Grand Cayman instead of standing in a line at Guest Services seeking a credit.

With you in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Doesn't that count?

I am hyperventilating with laughter

over the 'experts' descriptions of 'fire concerns' in this case

been there? done that?

you guys amuse me ......

I showed this post to my DH who is a retired O6 and who sat in "the chair" 3 times in his career. He and I are both at a loss trying to figure out what this has to do with the topic of this thread and we both agree anyone who sits in "the chair" and thinks they're a know-it-all should not be in that chair. There are many people out there who know a lot more about shipboard fires, prevention and safety than the Captain. I know I would trust the merits of this particular topic a lot more with a career snipe than a man who only sits in "the chair" for a couple tours and for only a couple years on each of those tours.

Of course, instead of spouting off that you sat in "the chair," you could lend some expertise and correct what you think has been wrongly stated in this thread.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

One more thing.... To the person that said we should be enjoying the cruise instead of standing in line trying to get a credit..... Maybe we should be enjoying the cruise rather than trying you inform "you guys" a little bit about what has been going on. Better yet, when the alarm sounded, we should have just logged onto cruise critic... A lot of you apparently could have told us what is going on.

Thank you for answering my question and keeping the rest of us informed. I appreciate you taking the time out of your trip! I'd rather read the info coming directly from the ship rather than the armchair quarterbacks back here on land. I am glad everyone is safe and you got the extra added bonus of a (mostly) uninterrupted cruise. The Freedom and her staff is one of the best!

ENJOY the rest of your trip!!!!! :D make sure you're camera ready when you disembark on Sunday. I'd expect some news cameras in Canaveral when you get there...

The final determination of what caused the fire on Freedom was discovered at 2AM this morning. Elderly lady, maybe 40 ish, in the elevator coming from one of the clubs (slightly tipsy) blurted out: IT WAS A GREASE FIRE from the Guy's Burger area?

Hey with all the other opinions out there this sounded just as good-- except Guy's Burgers is on Carnival........

On to another note it was relayed to all that the stack is actually made of Kryptonite. The man met on the heliport of the ship, at midnight, wasn't really a contractor working the new scrubbers but a left over engine room man from the Sandpebble. This was verified by Steve McQueen who was in his superman cape standing by with Matt D on the bow looking for icebergs.

Hope this helps?

Is the D+ lounge open?

I, too, cannot believe some of the attitudes on here. Sometimes, makes me ashamed to be a part of this group.

I understand the sentiment, but that is a bit extreme. There are over million users here, Anytime you get a million people together, a few are going to stand out and they aren't the quiet ones. I remember the phrase I first remember from the 1980 presidential election, Vocal Minority/Silent Majority. I have no shame for others behavior.

p-tax i don't think that's true--- a reputation for posters being bloodthirsty. As you say with 1M posters even .001% of total can ruin a posting. There's always one who has to pounce at the slightest mistake but you have to move past it and not respond to them--

The final determination of what caused the fire on Freedom was discovered at 2AM this morning. Elderly lady, maybe 40 ish, in the elevator coming from one of the clubs (slightly tipsy) blurted out: IT WAS A GREASE FIRE from the Guy's Burger area?

Aah, I see you found out about the top-secret hyperspace wormhole between Johnny Rockets and Guy's Burgers.

Why did you think they called it Johnny Rockets?

Edited by Tunkhannock

Loathe that attitude so many folks in these forums have (not just RCCL forum). Well said.

Wow, I'm sure glad I didn't get involved with this thread sooner.

Just want to make one comment. This is JMO so don't flame me because "you" don't agree. Different strokes for different folks:)

In hindsight, this was no big deal for passengers....not even so big a bother as the fog delays I've experienced; some of which have resulted in a 5 hour delay outside Galveston Harbor. Just some inconvenience and delays with their plans...having to wait in places that were maybe not so comfortable. But if I had been there, it would never have occurred for me to get compensated for it with OBC. I was overjoyed and impressed to death when they gave us $30 lunch money to compensate on shore expenses on one delayed fog cruise. But here...if the company had offered as little as $25 OBC, I would've been thankful. After all, their cruise was only interupted for a few hours. Extra time was given for excursions and they made the next port. No worries. I'll bet they will look back on it and have a great conversation starter in future.

I just look at things like this as another adventure.:cool:

Just sayin...for me, no big deal. Others are entitled to their own opinions of course:D;)