Fire on Freedom?

You already stated that you are being given a $200 OBC per cabin, for the fire, which delayed you for.........what? Time at your muster station (great initial precaution on the captains part, then a bit of time inside, but not allowed back to your cabin till the crew could step down from containing an actual fire.

Rick

Any wager how long it will be till someone complains about the fairness of the OBC amount?:rolleyes:

You already stated that you are being given a $200 OBC per cabin, for the fire, which delayed you for.........what? Time at your muster station (great initial precaution on the captains part, then a bit of time inside, but not allowed back to your cabin till the crew could step down from containing an actual fire. It's great to know that all of training that goes on, almost daily for the crew, paid off today.

Sounds to me like several thing happened here. The ship had a problem, you were inconvenienced for a short period of time, and Royal Caribbean decided that every cabin receive an OBC.

I hope that everything is good for the rest of the cruise, and you don't arrive home upset.:);)

Rick

Any wager how long it will be till someone complains about the fairness of the OBC amount?:rolleyes:

I sure hope it doesn't happen, but we all know how these things go. I would just be happy that it wasn't worse. As for the free wifi it is a good act so those on board can communicate with home to confirm that they are OK.

Some are reporting that the fire was in the engine room but images from a Falmouth News site show flames emerging from the area where the smoke stack meets the top of deck 15.

freedom-of-the-seas-fire-falmouth-2.jpg

Hope everyone is doing ok i know captain olsen has got everything under control i met him on the july 5th sailing and he was one of the nicest guys ever, anyway i have a theory here of how this fire started for those who haven't been on freedom recently they are installing a scrubber for the engine in the same exact area where those flames are and i heard and saw a lot of whelding on our cruise im not 100% sure, but if a crew member suffered 1st degree burns i begin to wonder if the fire started because of a accident installing the scrubber, again thats just my opinion but i saw the location and thats what i began to think

Hope everyone is doing ok i know captain olsen has got everything under control i met him on the july 5th sailing and he was one of the nicest guys ever,

I agree that Captain Tor Olsen is GREAT - the best captain I have met. :)

However, he is on leave right now. The captain onboard, if our captains thread is accurate, is Ron Holmes.

The captain has given everyone wifi access but don't know for how long. Granted I am upset as I paid for wifi as many others. I will be talking to them about receiving a credit for this time. Also since everyone has wifi it is super super slow.

Um seriously? Wow. Now I have heard everything. The pettiness astounds.

The captain has given everyone wifi access but don't know for how long. Granted I am upset as I paid for wifi as many others. I will be talking to them about receiving a credit for this time. Also since everyone has wifi it is super super slow. A lot of sites won't load. Royal Caribbean did give everyone $200 obc per cabin for the fire.

How about just being thankful that nobody was seriously hurt, understanding of the fact that the free wifi will allow everyone to reassure loved ones back home, and appreciative that Royal Caribbean recognizes that this was a scary event as well as an inconvenience/disruption and is compensating for that as best they can? Try to enjoy the ship and Grand Cayman instead of standing in a line at Guest Services seeking a credit.

Edited by Cindy

The captain has given everyone wifi access but don't know for how long. Granted I am upset as I paid for wifi as many others. I will be talking to them about receiving a credit for this time. Also since everyone has wifi it is super super slow. A lot of sites won't load. Royal Caribbean did give everyone $200 obc per cabin for the fire.

I can't believe I just read this. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking the "mechanical space" isn't the engine room, but rather a space up there near the Viking Crown. the smoke and flames aren't coming from the stacks.

I can't find this still online but at around the :25 point of this report, there is a shot from on deck that shows the fire.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-catches-fire-mid-trip/story?id=32622953

I can't find this still online but at around the :25 point of this report, there is a shot from on deck that shows the fire.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-catches-fire-mid-trip/story?id=32622953

Thanks for posting the video. I wonder how much interior damage occurred to those upper decks? Thank goodness nobody was seriously injured.

Thanks for posting the video. I wonder how much interior damage occurred to those upper decks? Thank goodness nobody was seriously injured.

Not sure about damage. There is one post saying decks 14 and 15 are closed so that is the chapel and the Viking Crown Lounge/Diamond Lounge/Olive and Twist.

Here's a site that shows significant smoke damage and some structural damage to the area of the stacks. It looks like that's where the fire was, not down in the engine room.

http://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/news/world/2015/07/22/photos-fire-on-royal-caribbeans-freedom-of-the-seas/30538973/

Edited by Aquahound

It seems like everyone took that WAY out of content and I did not mean it in that way at all. That is the problem with posting and texting these days. I can't edit anymore after I posted it and edited it the first time. So that being said I am not waiting in line for a credit. Nor did I want or expect obc. It wasnt as bad as the media played it out to be. The staff on here are absolutely wonderful. I am glad no one got hurt. Everyone on here was asking questions and I thought I would be nice and try to give you an update but I won't be doing that again nor will I post again. I will just be a watcher of these boards like I used to be. People who know me know I am not a jerk nor am I petty. I would give the shirt off my back if you asked and comfort a child who was scared during this scary time yesterday morning. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope everyone's future cruises are wonderful happy ones. I know mine on freedom of the seas has been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello, I am just wondering if someone on board happens to read this thread if they could comment on the damage the ship has. I am curious if once the US inspects the ship if they will then cancel future sailings. :(

I really appreicate folks taking time out of there vacation to update all of us. I truely hope this hasn't impacted your vacation too much and you all continue to have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks!

If I had paid (and I always do) for the slow internet on the ship, then they opened the floodgates - giving it to everyone at no charge- I would see what was a semi-usable service drop to virtually useless quality due to bandwidth limitations.

It would be mildly frustrating, to me at least. How people deal with that depends on the individual and the circumstances. Some will allow it to get under their skin, others won't even blink. If it were just for a short period of time (under 24-36 hrs), I'd let it go. If my purchase had been rendered useless for a good portion of the cruise, I would expect some type of refund.

That's neither "right" nor "wrong", it's just the way that different people respond to a situation.

On message boards, however, there are always a few who are quick to pass judgement and give opinions. Sometimes they cross "the line". The tough thing is... where is "the line", as it too is a variable!

Tom

I think if I had paid for wifi and they just decided to give it to everyone free for no particular reason the I would be annoyed.

But how could you get annoyed at a gesture that was letting people contact their families at home to reassure them that everything was ok?

Edited by Frankmac

You already stated that you are being given a $200 OBC per cabin, for the fire, which delayed you for.........what? Time at your muster station (great initial precaution on the captains part, then a bit of time inside, but not allowed back to your cabin till the crew could step down from containing an actual fire. It's great to know that all of training that goes on, almost daily for the crew, paid off today.

Sounds to me like several thing happened here. The ship had a problem, you were inconvenienced for a short period of time, and Royal Caribbean decided that every cabin receive an OBC.

I hope that everything is good for the rest of the cruise, and you don't arrive home upset.:);)

Rick

Pretty sure leslie was just updating everyone... this was kind of rude of you..js...

It seems like everyone took that WAY out of content and I did not mean it in that way at all. That is the problem with posting and texting these days. I can't edit anymore after I posted it and edited it the first time. So that being said I am not waiting in line for a credit. Nor did I want or expect obc. It wasnt as bad as the media played it out to be. The staff on here are absolutely wonderful. I am glad no one got hurt. Everyone on here was asking questions and I thought I would be nice and try to give you an update but I won't be doing that again nor will I post again. I will just be a watcher of these boards like I used to be. People who know me know I am not a jerk nor am I petty. I would give the shirt off my back if you asked and comfort a child who was scared during this scary time yesterday morning. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope everyone's future cruises are wonderful happy ones. I know mine on freedom of the seas has been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leslie, thank you for posting. I would agree with you your internet charges should be removed. also I appreciate your update. $200 for being scared for your life seems like chump change for Rocco.

Here's a site that shows significant smoke damage and some structural damage to the area of the stacks. It looks like that's where the fire was, not down in the engine room.

http://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/news/world/2015/07/22/photos-fire-on-royal-caribbeans-freedom-of-the-seas/30538973/

Aqua, the heat looks pretty intense up at the stacks, but I don't see much, if any, structural damage. That area of the stacks would contain the engine room exhaust fans, and the engine casings are continuous with the engine rooms right up to the stack deck. My thought is that an E/R vent fan failed a bearing and caught the adjacent area on fire. Unfortunately, those areas that are inside the stack "housing", but are really outside tend to get pretty grimy pretty quickly (soot, oil mist from engine rooms, dead birds, trash blown in from deck, etc), and this could have led to the intensity of the fire, since I don't think a fan motor would cause this much heat. If it had been a fuel fire or similar in the engine room, there would have been more delay in getting the ship underway (notifications, local gov't. inspections, as you know), so I believe it is a minor mechanical room (perhaps a fan room's distribution panel?) fire, rather than anything that would require taking the ship out of service for repair.