Freedom Fire

We were on the cruise too and have nothing but good things to say about the professionalism of the crew.

In fact, one Jung we did not want to miss was the introduction of the firefighters. Our head waiter assured us it would be at the end of the show... We rushed from dinner but had missed it.

If anyone has a picture or video, I'd love to see it because I really did not want to miss that.

Good to hear. Nice to know that the staff did such a great job. It would be nice to see this reported by the news media. They are always so quick to jump on noro virus/negative things that happen to cruise ships. It is very reassuring to know how well this emergency was handled.

We were on the cruise too and have nothing but good things to say about the professionalism of the crew.

In fact, one Jung we did not want to miss was the introduction of the firefighters. Our head waiter assured us it would be at the end of the show... We rushed from dinner but had missed it.

If anyone has a picture or video, I'd love to see it because I really did not want to miss that.

Taken from my friend who was on Freedom as well! My friends were never able to shake the whole situation off! They never disembarked at any of the ports! I feel really sad for them that they got really spooked. That's why I asked where the ship was when it started! She made it sound similar to the Grandeur fire that you were out in open sea!

Pix of the crew taking their bow! 35e2a65e01829f35ba6419cc0d327e91.jpg

Thanks again for the quick responses! Detailed information on this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Taken from my friend who was on Freedom as well! My friends were never able to shake the whole situation off! They never disembarked at any of the ports! I feel really sad for them that they got really spooked. That's why I asked where the ship was when it started! She made it sound similar to the Grandeur fire that you were out in open sea!

Thanks again for the quick responses! Detailed information on this!

And on everyone's next cruise, please remember that these folks standing up there are your cabin stewards, waiters, bartenders, cooks, dishwashers, laundry person, engineer or deck hand. These folks have to drop what they are doing at the moment, and rush from all over the ship to their fire team locker, suit up in about 40 lbs of fireman's gear, go face the beast at the business end of a hose, lose a couple of pounds of sweat inside the bunker gear, and then strip it all off, shower and put on a fresh uniform and return to your service.

So, when you chat with crew, ask them to thank the fire team members for keeping them safe. Their extra training comes on top of their normal duties, and is in addition to the weekly drill for all crew.

And on everyone's next cruise, please remember that these folks standing up there are your cabin stewards, waiters, bartenders, cooks, dishwashers, laundry person, engineer or deck hand. These folks have to drop what they are doing at the moment, and rush from all over the ship to their fire team locker, suit up in about 40 lbs of fireman's gear, go face the beast at the business end of a hose, lose a couple of pounds of sweat inside the bunker gear, and then strip it all off, shower and put on a fresh uniform and return to your service.

So, when you chat with crew, ask them to thank the fire team members for keeping them safe. Their extra training comes on top of their normal duties, and is in addition to the weekly drill for all crew.

Fantastic

They were excellent. And it wasn't just the fire crew, either. One rather non-hulking bartender explained to me that he and another similarly sized member of the crew had to carry a passenger in a wheelchair from the Solarium, down all those stairs.

Justmekaren, I am sad for your friends. When the fire started, my friend and I were on the helipad looking at Jamaica. When the emergency signal sounded, I calculated that, if push came to shove, I might just be able to swim it, although we may still have been a mile or so out. And the captain very quickly steered us to port, so we would not even have had to evacuate to lifeboats.

At no time did we feel unsafe. Everyone at our muster station was pretty relaxed, I thought. Some didn't even show up for 20 minutes! Or more! I think there ought to be a maritime law that unless you are physically impaired, if you are more than 10 minutes to the muster, you can be left behind, or are volunteering to be eaten on the lifeboat. ;)

From everything I am reading, I think some praise should be given to the majority of the passengers for following directions and procedures. It is possible that things got back to normal relatively quickly due to passenger cooperation.

taken from my friend who was on freedom as well! My friends were never able to shake the whole situation off! They never disembarked at any of the ports! I feel really sad for them that they got really spooked. That's why i asked where the ship was when it started! She made it sound similar to the grandeur fire that you were out in open sea!

thanks again for the quick responses! Detailed information on this!

Sent from my samsung-sgh-i337 using tapatalk

ImageUploadedByForums1438003189.431978.jpg.ea5f9ddff2228a19768e81f37bfdbbcc.jpg

Thank you for that excellent insight! Just remember these people are contracted, so they are not considered a full time employee of RCCL with benefits which makes this even more meaningful.

For all the employees they kept you all calm quickly earned their paycheck for the week!

They were excellent. And it wasn't just the fire crew, either. One rather non-hulking bartender explained to me that he and another similarly sized member of the crew had to carry a passenger in a wheelchair from the Solarium, down all those stairs.

Justmekaren, I am sad for your friends. When the fire started, my friend and I were on the helipad looking at Jamaica. When the emergency signal sounded, I calculated that, if push came to shove, I might just be able to swim it, although we may still have been a mile or so out. And the captain very quickly steered us to port, so we would not even have had to evacuate to lifeboats.

At no time did we feel unsafe. Everyone at our muster station was pretty relaxed, I thought. Some didn't even show up for 20 minutes! Or more! I think there ought to be a maritime law that unless you are physically impaired, if you are more than 10 minutes to the muster, you can be left behind, or are volunteering to be eaten on the lifeboat. ;)

Thank you for the more insight! Did the Captain keep everyone aprised as much as possible? Your point of people not showing up immediately is not good! You all would of gotten to your adventure more quickly.

This helping me with the fact I am taking my 80 year old mother and husband next March. I am trying to get pax's account, so I am educated when the questions start coming. I am really glad they are now on deck 7 only 3 decks down on Brilliance!

My friends daughter has asthma and had the smell really affecting her for the rest of trip and they had one of the lg OV at the aft! This would of been a good time to have a balcony. It dawned on me they should seen if they could been upgraded to 1 if 1 was available as comp. I didn't know what kida of cabin they had until after the fact. They are still trying to get home at last check due to a mechanical issue! They never left the ship in Jamaica, Cayman or Cozumel! I feel bad for them.

Any updates on the ship itself? Damage, repairs??

Here's a link to some facebook photos of the damage, not sure how these got published:

If you go to the thread "Now that the fire is out", you'll find my posts about what I think the damage and repairs comprise.

Random question about when you have to report to your muster station.....I have been on two cruises but the last was 7 years ago so I cant remember...

when there is an emergency and we have to report to our muster station...do you go back to your room for your life jacket or go directly to the muster station?

Random question about when you have to report to your muster station.....I have been on two cruises but the last was 7 years ago so I cant remember...

when there is an emergency and we have to report to our muster station...do you go back to your room for your life jacket or go directly to the muster station?

Go directly to muster station. Life jackets will be provided there if necessary.:)

Edited by CORKY_Q

If you are in your stateroom when the alarm sounds, they ask you to grab your lifejacket and proceed to the muster station. If you are not in your stateroom when the alarm sounds, go directly to your muster station and a lifejacket will be provided.

Thanks

Muster drills are a lot better than they were eight years ago also; you no longer have to schlep your life jacket to the drill. Just go to assigned muster area (be sure to bring your sea pass card.) You have to wait for everyone to show up, then listen to the announcements and instructions and you are free to head right back to the bar.:D

Muster drills are a lot better than they were eight years ago also; you no longer have to schlep your life jacket to the drill. Just go to assigned muster area (be sure to bring your sea pass card.) You have to wait for everyone to show up, then listen to the announcements and instructions and you are free to head right back to the bar.:D

While you don't have to "schlep" the lifejacket to muster anymore, it is my professional recommendation that everyone try to put a lifejacket on at least once a year, if cruising more often on the same line. If not, or going from line to line, try one on each cruise. The Type I lifejackets required on ships are far different from the ones on airlines, and rarely will recreational boaters have type I PFD's. When I was with NCL, about 7 years ago, we required lifejackets at muster, and required the passengers to don them. You would not believe the strange ways some folks put on lifejackets, even to the point where a Type I jacket, which is designed to turn an unconscious person face up, would have turned them face down with 30-40 lbs of flotation forcing their face down into the water.

You go directly to your muster station and you will be given a life jacket there. If you are in your cabin and you are on a ship that still has life jackets in the cabin, oasis class doesn't, not sure of any others, you would bring your life jacket with you.

. When I was with NCL, about 7 years ago, we required lifejackets at muster, and required the passengers to don them.

As far as I know, Princess is the only major line still requiring PFDs brought to the muster.