Caribbean or Hawaii?

gordylad

Good morning,

We have done the Caribbean multiple times, including Equinox this past February...that included the two islands you mentioned along with Dominica, Barbados and St. Thomas. We are booked on the Honolulu to Vancouver on Solstice in April, 2016. Really looking forward to that one...especially the five sea days across the Pacific. Tough decision... maybe we'll see you in April!

Susan

I have never taken any Hawaiian cruise, but I have been to Hawaii many times and on Caribbean cruise many times IMO, the cruise will be great if you like ship time and it will give you a great taste of the islands. However, you will not be able to truly enjoy Hawaii until you spend time on each of these islands. May I suggest that you stay on one of the islands for a while after the cruise? My personal favorite is Maui. I would also suggest that you rent a car on each island. Do some research, pick sites you want to see, and enjoy! Except for the Honolulu area and the Road to Hana (Maui), Hawaii roads are very easy to navigate.

thanks on the replies so far.

Our thoughts were to stay on the island for 3/4 nights after the cruise then travel back to the UK via San Francisco staying there a few nights. We have never visited Vancouver, Hawaii or San Fran but as mentioned have tried a few caribbean islands and although we really enjoyed them we think it may be much of the same if we do them again.

Living on the west coast of the U.S., we go to Hawaii every year. We cruised it once with NCL. it was honestly the worst cruise ever taken. We have also been to the Caribbean enough times to hit most of the main islands.

IMHO Hawaii is someplace you should visit at least once. I also agree with Lazz that you should try to stay on one of the islands for a few days. We also love Maui, but enjoy Kauai and Oahu too. (We're not big on the island of Hawaii, but have enjoyed several trips there.).

If you do decide on the Hawaii cruise, may I suggest the Ultimate Guide books. There is one for each island. They are updated regularly. With those in hand you can easily rent a car and see what you want.

Aloha, judy

Edited by jjk9946
Misspellings

We have stayed in Hawaii and also done a cruise of the islands on NCL we didn't enjoy the cruise at all . Hawaii is one of the best places we have ever been particularly Maui. Please go and stay rather than cruise if you don't hire a car you will be sick of the site of Hilo Hatties and you will miss so much. We have also stayed and cruised Carribbean and the reverse we found much prefer to cruise than stay

thanks on the replies so far.

Our thoughts were to stay on the island for 3/4 nights after the cruise then travel back to the UK via San Francisco staying there a few nights. We have never visited Vancouver, Hawaii or San Fran but as mentioned have tried a few caribbean islands and although we really enjoyed them we think it may be much of the same if we do them again.

I say do the Hawaii cruise. With stays in Vancouver, San Francisco and Hawaii.

As fellow UK citizens who has regularly cruised the Caribbean but only managed Hawaii once before a Trans Pacific to Sydney. I would think about the 'value added' you can attach to each cruise.

If you have already visited Florida then the West Coast gives you more new options. San Fransisco is one of my favourite stop offs. We only had five days in Hawaii basing ourselves in a quaint sea view hotel at the zoo end of Waikiki beach. We did a range of excursions from there including a very moving one to Pearl Harbour. Visiting again is on my hit list. Equally if you have never been to Florida it is a destination in its own right with lots to see and do, not just the theme parks.

One of the reasons we have visited the Caribbean more often is because it is in terms of time and cost more manageable. We can fit in a 10/11 night cruise into a two week vacation and deals can be found on flights. When we have had more time we have visited the East coast but made sure we made the most of our time there by joining tours to cruises...Alaska and Washington State or simply touring.

Whichever you choose I am sure you will enjoy.

I think it is more of an individual preference thing. I have been to Hawaii a couple of times and once on a 14 days cruise on the Century. I really have not found anything about Hawaii that I would prefer it to the Caribbean. I've been to the Caribbean at least 24 times and enjoy it far more that Hawaii. The Caribbean beaches are nicer, the people friendlier and also the shopping is better. The only thing I would miss about Hawaii is the Macadamian nuts. The cruising part is basically the same either way. Having said all that, I agree with some of the other posters that if you want to experience Hawaii, you need to just fly over there and visit for a couple weeks and take in the three main tourist islands. You can't really get a taste of the islands on a cruise.

As others have said it all boils down to personal preference, and the ole bucket list. Our first cruise to the Caribbean was in 1987, and in a couple of places the owners of the 'establishment' know our faces when we stroll in the door.:D

Hawaii is on our wanna go to places list, but not at the top of it.

This yr we are once again on the Equinox for our 7/8 visit to St Thomas & St Maarten, our last time in Barbados & St Kitts was in 2000, so it should feel like the first time again! And Dominica is brand new for us.

You have a hard choice. Will your health hold to allow you to go to the one you don't pick in the future? Will finances be steady? Will the cow jump over the moon?:D

Neither will be a wrong choice. Have a great vacation!

EW

Really enjoy your attempt to avoid the "We're not Big on the Big Island" quote.

Fly to the Hawaiian Islands, Cruise the Caribbean.

I agree with that statement! Hawaii needs MUCH more time in port than a cruise will give you....

I agree with cruising the Caribbean and flying to Hawaii, but, maybe a 7day cruise around the islands and a 7day land vacation on 2 islands, been to Hawaii 3 times, 2 with land vacations and one with the cruise around the islands. I wouldn't even consider cruising to Hawaii as is too many sea days and the chance of rough seas in the open water(but that's just me)

We live on the east coast of the US so we mostly cruise to the Carib...it can be same old, same old but we enjoy it! . Nothing beats the Caribbean Sea or Gulf of Mexico..both warmer calmer and prettier than the Pacific in our opinion,

We were very luck to do a RT trip Hawaii cruise out of San Pedro a number of yrs ago...We did stay over pre-cruise to adjust to time diff....sailing over and back on Summit made time changes more subtle...the trip to and from went by.quickly...so much to do on bd...immersed in Hawaii culture and nature lectures, crafts and even learned the hula! I think X gets better reviews than some other lines that cruise there, esp the one that just does Hawaii.

true you only have a short time in port (giving up time for sailing to and from)

Yet we enjoyed each day...saw Pearl Harbor, DIamond Head, Volcano Natl Park, snorkeled on Mauim night view of volcano, etc, We crammed alot in but also had time to relax, shop, dine, hang out and take in the islands' beauty..

. While we prefer the Carib islands and beaches, glad we made the trip...everyone should go at least ince. You will see alot and experience a variety of places on a cruise..,

PS After cruising to Hawaii, we did not feel any need to travel all that way again for land based stay, Some folks fall in love with it.,.we enjoyed it but not enough to go back

.The incredibly moving experience at Pearl Harbor must not be missed, if you pick Hawaii over the Carib...

Enjoy!

We've cruised the Southern Caribbean several times and have two more lined up. We've never cruised Hawaii, but have done land holidays. We have talked recently about returning to Hawaii but have already decided that we won't do it as a cruise.

If you wouldn't consider a land-based Hawaiian holiday, then do take the cruise!

I think it really depends on what you enjoy in a cruise, we've done the West coast to Hawaii with Celebrity twice (but out of Ensenada) the crossing can be a bit rough, & cold. :D We went in May, & the captain's joke each day of the crossing was that we'd signed up for an Alaskan cruise by mistake :)

We've also spent endless weeks on Hawaii land trips, if you're looking for a relaxing cruise, take the Hawaii trip, if you want to get to know the islands, save it for a land trip, I enjoy both equally, DH says he wouldn't cruise to Hawaii again :)

We have done both cruises several times. It seemed the Caribbean cruise was more like a party and the Hawaiian cruise was more laid back (you won't find rum punch offered at every port in Hawaii.)

The most relaxing cruise I have ever been on was to Hawaii. Just make sure you aren't going during hurricane season, which ends around the end of October. We went in November and December and the sea was calm and the weather wonderful.

No matter which you decide on, I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Living on the west coast of the U.S., we go to Hawaii every year. We cruised it once with NCL. it was honestly the worst cruise ever taken. We have also been to the Caribbean enough times to hit most of the main islands.

IMHO Hawaii is someplace you should visit at least once. I also agree with Lazz that you should try to stay on one of the islands for a few days. We also love Maui, but enjoy Kauai and Oahu too. (We're not big on the island of Hawaii, but have enjoyed several trips there.).

If you do decide on the Hawaii cruise, may I suggest the Ultimate Guide books. There is one for each island. They are updated regularly. With those in hand you can easily rent a car and see what you want.

Aloha, judy

About time you guys came over to cruise Australia, you can borrow a car too.

Love

Bruce and Tania

I would fly to Hawaii or go on the Caribbean cruise. As mentioned, seas can be rough and a cruise would not do Hawaii justice. There is so much to see and do in the Hawaiian Islands.

Love

Bruce and Tania

In my bucket list. I want to make sure I have the time and money to do it right. I want to include New Zealand and Polynesian islands.

Love

Bruce and Tania

Hey guys,

How are you in the land of OZ? We actually had a cruise planned but had to cancel due to health reasons.

Send me an email and we'll catch up.

Judy

As a former G-IV Captain I've been everywhere, and a few times at that.

Wife & I do Aqua 1 on the Summit/Infinity now. We are on one of those 12 night Southern Caribbean Cruises in Jan/Feb-2017. Really looking forward to it, something different! You get to see the ABC's for once, haven't been there in a long time.

San Juan is easy to get to, and cheap at that. Always go out of San Juan in the Caribbean, no problems.

Me, I would fly to Hawaii. It's a long trip, even by air.

Do a long Alaska Cruise by itself if you want.

The Caribbean on Celebrity is the best for the money for us, hands down.

Oh, stay a few nights at the Caribe Hilton San Juan, PR before your cruise. Wonderful way to relax before your cruise!

17813837936_ecaf36d5a1_c.jpg

CaptDave