We Gave NCL a Shot....

We tried NCL a couple of years ago after primarily sailing Celebrity and HAL. Unlike the OP, we had a very positive experience. The crew was awesome and we liked the ship (Jewel). The only negatives were the food in the MDR (specialty restaurants were great) and the staterooms were kind of small. We are trying Royal for the first time in September (Brilliance to Canada/New England) and are hoping to have just as positive an experience.

I cruised NCL 13 times, loved the Norway in the 1980's sailed her 7 times, but they went downhill after they did away with standard dinning, food and service was just bad. It is the only line I have cruised with that I would never cruise again.

We sailed on NCL Sky last week to be with special friends. It was our first non RCCL cruise in 12 years. We had a super time, service was outstanding, food very, very good. Sky is in great shape and we love the smaller, older ships. Reminded us of Monarch and her crew. We remain loyal to Royal, but will be doing NCL from time to time.

Rick and Deirdra

Edited by Pumbaamd

Since we don't use the pool area on any ship, we think the Getaway is a great cruising experience. The pool area is too small and crowded on the newer NCL ships.

The food and entertainment are a nice change from RCI's. The outdoor promenade deck is a lot more comfortable than RCI's. They often have prices and specials that are far better than RCI Caribbean cruises, ie. our Sept 5th - seven day cruise for $469 pp with UBP included. This will be our second cruise on the Getaway this year.

That being said, we will still cruise RCI 80% of the time, why?, because they have the best loyalty program on the high seas. Are you listening Royal?

Edited by Tagsalong

I cruised NCL 13 times, loved the Norway in the 1980's sailed her 7 times, but they went downhill after they did away with standard dinning, food and service was just bad. It is the only line I have cruised with that I would never cruise again.

I agree with you. I used to love NCL, but my first Freestyle experience was on the Norwegian Sea and the service was a night and day difference than my previous 3 NCL cruises, which included 2 on that very ship. After a 10 year hiatus, I tried NCL again...3 times...and still, service was awful, as was the ship upkeep.

That said, I know things do eventually turn around around, and Getaway and the new Escape do intrigue me. I'm curious what the OP didn't like about it. :confused: I do know I'm a little turned off by some of their nickel and dime practices, like $7.95 room service.

I agree with you. I used to love NCL, but my first Freestyle experience was on the Norwegian Sea and the service was a night and day difference than my previous 3 NCL cruises, which included 2 on that very ship. After a 10 year hiatus, I tried NCL again...3 times...and still, service was awful, as was the ship upkeep.

That said, I know things do eventually turn around around, and Getaway and the new Escape do intrigue me. I'm curious what the OP didn't like about it. :confused: I do know I'm a little turned off by some of their nickel and dime practices, like $7.95 room service.

We're intrigued by them too but we keep hearing that they have really small balconies. I might have to find out myself. We were in Bermuda on Summit along with the Breakaway. Many Breakaway passengers were complaining about the long walks through cabin corridors. All I could think was they must not have sailed Oasis and Allure. I mean, how bad could it be?

Very surprised to hear this. We all loved the Breakaway. Would love if you would elaborate as to what it is you did not like. Amazing ship...amazing crew....great food venues (loved the fresco dining) I honestly cannot think of one bad thing to say about the Breakaway.

I was on the Getaway earlier this year for a New Year's cruise. I liked the layout of the getway. I liked that I can sit at a bar on the open deck facing the ocean.

I didn't like the service or some of the prices for food. We got a lobster roll for ten dollars and there was nothing there. The Brazilian grill place didn't serve enough food.

After sailing aboard Getaway for the last 7 days I can say with confidence...NEVER again.

I will remain Loyal to Royal!!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have regarding differences between the two lines.

I think the most obvious question is why?

We're intrigued by them too but we keep hearing that they have really small balconies. I might have to find out myself.

I've heard that too, and I've seen some pics here on CC. If the Breakaway Class balconies truly are as narrow as the balcony I had on Regal Princess, I would not like it at all.

Well said, Ice Man.

R&D

Pumbaa, how are you?, especially how is "D". Hope to see you soon. We are doing Oasis, Brilliance and Vision this fall. Any chance you two will be coming down from Md to visit? You know were I'll be - at the R bar, of course.

Pumbaa.jpg.20fd98123d120b6c094999062aaf4280.jpg

Edited by Tagsalong

We really enjoyed our cruise on the Getaway last year. The ship and the entertainment were amazing. The only thing we were disappointed in was the food selection. The Oasis has been our favorite so far. Hoping for a great experience on the Allure this year as well. Nobody beats Royal Caribbean's service.

Pumbaa, how are you?, especially how is "D". Hope to see you soon. We are doing Oasis, Brilliance and Vision this fall. Any chance you two will be coming down from Md to visit? You know were I'll be - at the R bar, of course.

We have Indy 8/23 - 9/6 coming up. Won't be back to FL until April. Our schedule is below. Best to Eloise.

R&D

The standard balconies are very small on NCLs new ships. The hump cabins are slightly better. This pic tells the story. My family sailed Breakaway and liked it enough to book again next year.

15f0sk0.jpg

Now that is one tiny balcony. Can't even stretch your legs out any.

Ah, so they are like the Regal Princess. I had this balcony for 3 nights and that was enough. I would not enjoy these tiny little balconies for a week or longer. Not to mention, as narrow as this balcony is, it looks even wider than Breakaway Class.

ry%3D480

Edited by Aquahound

The standard balconies are very small on NCLs new ships. The hump cabins are slightly better. This pic tells the story. My family sailed Breakaway and liked it enough to book again next year.

15f0sk0.jpg

They are barely smaller than DCL Dream-class ships. Not sure how big they are in Oasis-class, but I would hardly say that's a negative on NCL.

I have my first NCL cruise booked and I knew this was going to be the one draw back. I chose a certain cabin on the Breakaway due to a longer balcony then most. Other then that, the rule will be broken leaving the balcony door open!!:eek: It's just my husband and myself so we should be able to make it work with the sideways sit. :o