packing question

chabug2003

Hello, our first cruise isn't till next year but we are big planners. We know we need to bring a carry on in case our luggage doesn't get to our room right away, but the question is how do you know what type of carry on to bring. We are a family of four so I guess I would want to put everything in one carry on if I can, but question is for the cruise the first day I take it you take the carry on with you every where you go till the room is ready. Thanks

Yes, if your room isn't ready when you board your carryon stays with you. If everyone can be trusted I'd consider four rolling bags or duffles, one for each of you. I only put my electronics, medicines and the like in mine but you might consider swimwear if your plan is to hit the pools early.

Since you are going on a cruise line that doesn't have the cabins ready when you board (several do...Princess - always, Carnival - if you pay for the privilege), it might be a good idea to use back packs. One for each of you.

Most bring a change of clothes, camera, electronic doodads, passports (don't leave home without them:p), boarding pass, swimsuit (very optional). If you are bringing wine, they go in your carry-on.

Others will have more suggestions:D

Hello, our first cruise isn't till next year but we are big planners. We know we need to bring a carry on in case our luggage doesn't get to our room right away, but the question is how do you know what type of carry on to bring. We are a family of four so I guess I would want to put everything in one carry on if I can, but question is for the cruise the first day I take it you take the carry on with you every where you go till the room is ready. Thanks

Each person should have their own Carry-on (except very young children). If they can walk unassisted, then most kids won't mind pulling a small bag. I prefer as would most, tote bags or duffle bags with wheels 18" or so. I pack Meds, Valuables like jewelry, camera, makeup, a swim suit, a change of clothes nice enough to go to dinner in if possible like black slacks and wrinkle resistant top including underwear and a decent pair of flip flops or shoes. If you are flying you must adhere to the requirements of your airline so it is pretty easy. You won't need a hair dryer. Pack curling iron or like instruments in your checked luggage. Don't forget to cross pack including one outfit for day and evening in the other person's checked luggage. That way if luggage is lost or delayed, you will have at least 4 outfits!

Ours will have valuables

Electronics

Camera gear

Jewelery

Watches

A book (for sitting around waiting to board)

Toiletries (maybe as little as toothbrush and paste)

A spare pair of undies or two

In our main bags we cross pack, so if one bag gets lost we at least have half our gear each.

We use small bags with wheels.

Each person should have their own Carry-on (except very young children). If they can walk unassisted, then most kids won't mind pulling a small bag. I prefer as would most, tote bags or duffle bags with wheels 18" or so. I pack Meds, Valuables like jewelry, camera, makeup, a swim suit, a change of clothes nice enough to go to dinner in if possible like black slacks and wrinkle resistant top including underwear and a decent pair of flip flops or shoes. If you are flying you must adhere to the requirements of your airline so it is pretty easy. You won't need a hair dryer. Pack curling iron or like instruments in your checked luggage. Don't forget to cross pack including one outfit for day and evening in the other person's checked luggage. That way if luggage is lost or delayed, you will have at least 4 outfits!

Why should everyone have their own bag??? If you can put everyone's stuff into 1 or 2 bags...why not do that? I'm confused? I plan on only bringing 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag for DH and myself (it's only a 4 day cruise). Am I missing something? When I fly, I always pack an "emergency" outfit (basically whatever outfit takes up the least amount of room and could be worn for day or pajamas). I can't see the list(s) for carry-ons filling a rolling bag...maybe a child size backpack.

Public areas are fairly crowded before departure so something small is best. Ideally something with a shoulder strap. Wheeling luggage around people, finding places to stow it while eating, etc. is a bother.

One should carry on all prescription medication and medical devices; travel documentation, tickets, reservation confirmations, etc.; cash & cards; one change of underwear for each person; sunscreen, tooth brushes and other personal hygiene items; cameras, tablets/laptops, jewelry, and other valuables.

Why should everyone have their own bag??? If you can put everyone's stuff into 1 or 2 bags...why not do that? I'm confused? I plan on only bringing 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag for DH and myself (it's only a 4 day cruise). Am I missing something? When I fly, I always pack an "emergency" outfit (basically whatever outfit takes up the least amount of room and could be worn for day or pajamas). I can't see the list(s) for carry-ons filling a rolling bag...maybe a child size backpack.

I have never done a cruise that short, but if I did I don't think I'd bother to check a bag at all just a smallish bag on wheels as a carry on.

I have never done a cruise that short, but if I did I don't think I'd bother to check a bag at all just a smallish bag on wheels as a carry on.

I pack light...but I don't think I could get all of our stuff into one small bag! Maybe one each...but I think we're going for a tote size carry on (maybe 2 to carry wine and pop, if we decide to bring them) and a medium suitcase. Living dangerously! Might be known as "the stinky people who are wearing the same thing everyday because the cruise lost their luggage". LOL :eek:

Even though we go on a cruise line that allows us to go to our cabin right away, we still have carry ons, with any valuables such as medications, cameras, our ID/docs plus toiletries, sunscreen, a soda bottle.

If you're flying, then check your airline's rules about size, items that you can put in. Hopefully you would fly in at least a day ahead, and then you can readjust what's in your carry ons.

If you're not flying, then make sure you can hoist any items onto the security conveyor belt.

ANYTHING of value should be in your carry-on. Never, ever check anything you MUST have. Do cross pack in your suitcases. Lock them. (You don't need TSA locks,either!)

If you are planning on swimming when you first get on the ship, wear you bathing suit under your clothes, so you don't have to find some place to change....makes life easier!!!

Thank you everyone, I kind of had an idea of what to pack but not sure on what type of luggage to use for Carry on!

We only take a large shoulder bag with the valuables. It's a pain to drag around the carry-on from the plane trip around the ship and have lunch with it. But we have done that, too. If you can put everything in one, that is more helpful than one for each person.

Thank you everyone, I kind of had an idea of what to pack but not sure on what type of luggage to use for Carry on!

I would suggest either a backpack or a small wheeled suitcase, the size allowed for airplane carryon.

Besides meds, valuables, and swimsuit we always each have a change of clothing in case luggage doesn't get there. Ours hasvalways arrived but I've seen too many times when a cruise passenger hasn't been as lucky.

Hubby uses a Camelback: doubles as a water holder for shore tours and still large enough to carry the wine and other things you should never pack. I use large beach bag that I use in port as well to hold purchases. everyone can bring a carry on so let the kids have a small backpack too.

because you get very tired lugging heavy bags around and trying to maneuver it through crowds( elevator get EXTREMELY crowded so stairs are faster) it is better to have 3 or 4 smaller bags that will not overtax any one person than trying o manage 2 large bags and 4 people in the buffet for lunch, for instance.

We have used small backpacks, (each with a walkie talkie) for our kids and carry-ons for the big people. We usually hit the buffet as soon as we get on the ship and having one or two Carry on sized bags and a couple little backpacks are easier to manage in the busy buffet waiting for the rooms to be ready. In addition to the radios we packed their swim suit and goggles, and one pair dry clothes for each. The radios don't work too well below decks, but work pretty well hunting the little rascals down on the Lido and above.

PACK LIGHT!

We use a lightweight backpack. Room enough for the essentials (cruise docs, meds, passports, cameras, etc.) plus the advantage of being hands-free. Works for us.

One should carry on all prescription medication and medical devices; travel documentation, tickets, reservation confirmations, etc.; cash & cards; one change of underwear for each person; sunscreen, tooth brushes and other personal hygiene items; cameras, tablets/laptops, jewelry, and other valuables.

Forgive me but this gave me a case of the giggles. :D I have never even considered this. Different strokes, though. :p