Princess transfers when flying in the day before

NoWhiners

Hi all

We have booked our first princess cruise for next march, out of Houston. The transportation options are so expensive that we are thinking of just using Princess transfers. I have read that even if you arrive the day before, you can go back to the airport and use the transfer. Can you more experienced Princess cruisers confirm this?

I also read conflicting advice on how to do this. Some people said just tell Princess when you book it and they will tell you where to meet, others said just give them a fake flight at about the time you want to be at the airport. Anyone have any experience with this?

And one final question--should we just book the transfer from the airport to the port in advance, then book the return transfer once onboard? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to one way or the other?

I know we may end up sitting on the bus for awhile but we don't care about that. As long as we get to the ship for departure we're good, and we have a mid-afternoon flight back when we return :)

Thanks for any advice

ML

Either way should work for you however is your hotel near the airport?

Have you considered booking a shuttle van service such as SuperShuttle from your hotel to the cruise terminal? We used them when disembarking at Galveston & flying home from Houston Hobby. We organized a group of passengers from our roll call & had the van for our group.

If you decide that the Princess transfer is your best option you could book your return trip while on the ship & have it added to your onboard bill instead of paying for it in advance.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did something similar at Seattle a couple years ago. We flew in one day early, took the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel, then took the hotel shuttle back to the airport the next morning for the Princess transfer to the ship (which was in Vancouver, B C).

When we booked the transfer, Princess assured us we would be listed on the transfer list, and we were just like we would have been had we flown in that say.

Edited by birdiebill
  • Like 1

Hi all

We have booked our first princess cruise for next march, out of Houston. The transportation options are so expensive that we are thinking of just using Princess transfers. I have read that even if you arrive the day before, you can go back to the airport and use the transfer. Can you more experienced Princess cruisers confirm this?

I also read conflicting advice on how to do this. Some people said just tell Princess when you book it and they will tell you where to meet, others said just give them a fake flight at about the time you want to be at the airport. Anyone have any experience with this?

And one final question--should we just book the transfer from the airport to the port in advance, then book the return transfer once onboard? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to one way or the other?

I know we may end up sitting on the bus for awhile but we don't care about that. As long as we get to the ship for departure we're good, and we have a mid-afternoon flight back when we return :)

Thanks for any advice

ML

If you know you want the xfer back to the airport at the end of the cruise, I would book it now or early in the cruise. Although unlikely, there is always the chance all the slots will be full at some point during the cruise. If you book it on the ship, do so at the shore excursion desk.

As for taking the bus to the ship, Princess likes to know to expect you, so I usually give a dummy flight number that will land sometime embarkation day morning.

There should be a Princess rep at the baggage claim area in each terminal they are expecting people to arrive. The rep should be easy to spot.

You do not say which airport you will be using. If IAH, I would just go to the baggage claim area at Terminal C when you go back to the airport for the ride to the ship. At HOU there is only one baggage claim area for domestic flights.

We flew into Houston two days before our cruise last Feb. Our flights were in/out of Bush and after comparing prices, it was clear that the Princess transfers were less expensive than anything else. We had a rental car, so it was easy to drop that off at the airport and then go to the terminal to catch our transfer to the ship.

Coming home, we had a 6 hour delay getting off the ship so we were glad that we had the RT transfer with Princess.

As others have said, it is simple to take the hotel shuttle back to baggage claim in the morning, and find the Princess staff, give them your luggage and get on the bus. But, what we did out of Houston was book a private car service for transfer to the pier that morning. It was only slightly more expensive than 2 transfers on the Princess bus, and far more civilized than having to get back to the airport with the luggage. Yes, book the Princess transfer back to the airport ahead of time.

It is not necessary to lie about your incoming flight to Princess, just tell them the flight, not a big deal at all. We've done it a number of times in Seattle when we were catching the Princess transfer up to Vancouver, and arriving in Seattle the day before.

We've booked a one night hotel package through Princess for our cruise. Like many, we're not very trusting of airlines arriving on time these days. We've also prepaid Princess for all airline transfers for this cruise. Our ship leaves the afternoon after our one night hotel stay in Vancouver.

Will there be a [Pacific] transfer agent at the airport outside the Customs exit to greet us and direct us to our [prepaid] hotel transfer - even if we're the only cruise couple arriving on our or other flight (Princess has our flight numbers and arrival times) or will we have to wait for another flight or two to arrive with cruise guests before proceeding to our hotel?

We did this at London Heathrow. We spent one night at an airport hotel and the next morning returned to catch the Princess transfer to Southampton. We told Princess that we were arriving the morning of the cruise.

• Like 1

This process works very well, whether flying in the day before, returning a rental car. or a variety of other methods. They ask what time they can expect you and we tell them honestly what we are doing.

Note that we always utilize a TA and there has never been a problem in over 40 cruises.

Enjoy.

SUPER EASY!

We did this in April in Houston. Arrived day before. Stayed at the airport Doubletree. Used hotel's free shuttle both ways. Princess transfers were the best deal by far. Shuttled back to airport, found Princess, we were on our way.

Have also done this in Seattle.

Just one note. If you do purchase a Princess transfer, your boarding pass will have a picture of a bus like vehicle on it. That is what the Princess host will look for if somehow your name isn't on the list, so keep your boarding pass handy. Find a major flight coming in at about the time you want to do the transfer. Then go to baggage claim and that is where you will find a Princess Rep.

If Princess offers a Stay & Cruise package for that port, they will provide the transfers between the airport and hotel and from the hotel to the ship.

I never give false flight info to Princess. They check flight schedules so if your fake flight number gets canceled, they will not be expecting to meet you at the airport baggage claim area. If you fly in the day before and give the correct flight info in your cruise personalizer. the itinerary section of your personalizer will give details as to where those coming in before embarkation day are to meet them for the transfer to the ship.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the quick and helpful replies. We have booked a hotel by Hobby airport that has an airport shuttle, so that will be easy. We won't be getting in until about 7 pm, so we will have a short night!

I looked at Super Shuttle, cabs and some private car services but I think for Houston, for just 2, the Princess transfer is the best deal. And the pre-cruise Princess hotel stay we were offered was expensive, so we just used some points to book the hotel on our own.

I will contact our TA and add the transfers before we go.

Thanks again for the help

ML

• Like 2

We've booked a one night hotel package through Princess for our cruise. Like many, we're not very trusting of airlines arriving on time these days. We've also prepaid Princess for all airline transfers for this cruise. Our ship leaves the afternoon after our one night hotel stay in Vancouver.

Will there be a [Pacific] transfer agent at the airport outside the Customs exit to greet us and direct us to our [prepaid] hotel transfer - even if we're the only cruise couple arriving on our or other flight (Princess has our flight numbers and arrival times) or will we have to wait for another flight or two to arrive with cruise guests before proceeding to our hotel?

There will be a Princess agent at the baggage claim area. Locate the agent and they will direct you to the location for the transportation. We have never had to wait very long in Ft. Lauderdale nor in Anchorage.

• 7 years later...
On 8/17/2015 at 4:59 AM, R**T said:

We did this at London Heathrow. We spent one night at an airport hotel and the next morning returned to catch the Princess transfer to Southampton. We told Princess that we were arriving the morning of the cruise.

I’m wondering if we could take the Princess transfer from Heathrow the day we fly in to our hotel in Southampton close to the terminal and then take a taxi or Uber or maybe even hotel shuttle to the terminal the next morning.  And after debarking, take the transfer to a hotel near Heathrow to spend a night or two before finding our way to Heathrow when we’re ready to fly home. 

4 hours ago, Linsifer said:

I’m wondering if we could take the Princess transfer from Heathrow the day we fly in to our hotel in Southampton close to the terminal and then take a taxi or Uber or maybe even hotel shuttle to the terminal the next morning.  And after debarking, take the transfer to a hotel near Heathrow to spend a night or two before finding our way to Heathrow when we’re ready to fly home. 

We/I always fly in a few days ahead of the cruise and depending on how far the cruise port is from the airport - such as Southampton from Heathrow - we will simply get ourselves back to the airport to link up with the cruise line transfer. Same when disembarking.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Linsifer said:

Transfers to Southampton (from Heathrow) are the day of the cruise only. There are 3rd party transfers that will provide transportation to Southampton from Heathrow. National Express is one of them.

• Like 1

Correct, Princess transfers are only on the day of. We used it a year ago May from Victoria Station. Just be prepared to arrive about 1:30 or 2:00 in the afternoon. 

Last Friday we used Quay West Cars from LHR to Southampton. Then we used a cab from our hotel to the ship and were onboard by 10:30 am

• Like 1

I have the Princess transfer booked from Heathrow to Southampton in a couple weeks. I'm arriving the day before and staying at the airport hotel. My Princess travel summary shows that I purchased the transfer, so I'll be on their list. There are very specific instructions on where to meet both for passengers arriving on flights on embarkation day, as well as for folks that "plan to be in London prior to embarkation day and wish to return to the airport for your transfer to the pier." This option appears to be common so I don't see any need to give fake flight information.

If you purchase the Princess transfer, check your travel summary for confirmation and instructions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cavecreekguy said:

I have the Princess transfer booked from Heathrow to Southampton in a couple weeks. I'm arriving the day before and staying at the airport hotel. My Princess travel summary shows that I purchased the transfer, so I'll be on their list. There are very specific instructions on where to meet both for passengers arriving on flights on embarkation day, as well as for folks that "plan to be in London prior to embarkation day and wish to return to the airport for your transfer to the pier." This option appears to be common so I don't see any need to give fake flight information.

If you purchase the Princess transfer, check your travel summary for confirmation and instructions.

Thank you!  So it looks like we should stay in a hotel near the airport the night before and make our way back to Heathrow to meet up with the Princess transfer rep. who will take us to Southampton terminal the day of embarkation.  I had hoped to stay closer to the port, but as long as Princess gets us to the terminal in time, that will work, too.  I imagine it works the same way going back.  We will be transferred to Heathrow from the terminal.  We can book a hotel close to the airport and spend one night (or more) there before flying home. And then take a cab to Heathrow.  

Does this all sound like it will work? 

10 hours ago, Linsifer said:

We’ve done that in New York a couple of times.  We just stayed at a hotel with free shuttle service, made it back to the airport and took the transfers to the pier.  
So many times, they sell the transfers to you right at the pier if you haven’t booked them previously. 

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We’ve done that in New York a couple of times.  We just stayed at a hotel with free shuttle service, made it back to the airport and took the transfers to the pier.  
So many times, they sell the transfers to you right at the pier if you haven’t booked them previously. 

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Thank you!  I know it’s not until 2025, so we have awhile to plan!  Since traveling overseas or really ANYWHERE is new to me, I like to get my ducks all lined up in advance.  Then when it comes time to book the hotel(s) etc I’ll be familiar with the process.  My TA added the transfers to the booking. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coral said:

Transfers to Southampton (from Heathrow) are the day of the cruise only. There are 3rd party transfers that will provide transportation to Southampton from Heathrow. National Express is one of them.

Thank you.  I was told here by a couple people that if we’re on the transfer list and we arrive the day before, we can book a hotel room near the airport and make our way back to Heathrow to catch the transfer the day of the cruise.  That’s what we’ll do.  Our TA added the transfers to our booking.  We have a good while to make plans, thank goodness. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linsifer said:

Thank you.  I was told here by a couple people that if we’re on the transfer list and we arrive the day before, we can book a hotel room near the airport and make our way back to Heathrow to catch the transfer the day of the cruise.  That’s what we’ll do.  Our TA added the transfers to our booking.  We have a good while to make plans, thank goodness. 🙂

Yes. You can do that.

I thought you were going to go to Southampton the day before and that would not work.

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

Yes. You can do that.

I thought you were going to go to Southampton the day before and that would not work.

Yes, that was my original question, but a couple others here replied with the protocol.  And my TA emailed me this morning explaining how the transfers work.  Thanks again, Coral!  

• Like 1