Wild Storm in Metro Vancouver and Port

Lizzie68

I certainly didn't visualise a falling tree from Ruth's post because of course Stanley Park isn't that close. However the navigational channel is narrow there, especially under the bridge by Stanley Park and there isn't a lot of room between the bridge pillars for a high sided ship with lots of windage to have any wiggle room. That is what I visualised from Ruth's post.

I would not have wanted to be in the channel at the height of the storm.

You get an "A" in reading comprehension.

Go to the head of the class. ;)

It was quite the storm and we were without power for just over 13 hours. Luckily we had propane and also used the BBQ as an oven! Always keep flashlights and candles around so that helped too. We did need the rain but the wind caused some major problems for sure.

Glad the fires in Washington are getting contained. We are getting a lot of smoke here in Calgary. It's pretty rough for those that have lung conditions and even for those that don't. I can't imagine what it must be like for you folks. Hope things get under control soon.

It was quite the storm and we were without power for just over 13 hours. Luckily we had propane and also used the BBQ as an oven! Always keep flashlights and candles around so that helped too. We did need the rain but the wind caused some major problems for sure.

Were you at the trailer? If so, how was the wind coming off the ocean?

I know we need the rain for the fires here in BC and in WA state, and so happy to have less smoke around, but not liking the ferocity of that wind.:(

On a lighter note it is so funny to hear us BC'ers hoping for rain! Usually we are crabbing about it and wondering where the sun is. I guess it's a question of "be careful what you wish for". That being said yesterday was a day for the weather records - very nasty. Our area had no power loss but a lot of other places did and still do.

Western Washington was not spared by Ma Nature yesterday. Was horrible here- I read at one point at least 500,000 without power. Many in our area may not get power for a week.

Some areas near the ocean saw winds over 100 MPH. I think our biggest was about 65 MPH. Was a wild ride. Because of the drought the trees have dry roots and are still in full leaf. This brought down a lot of trees- National Park Service had to close down all of Olympic National Park.

I felt for those that arrived on Westerdam yesterday and were sailing out in the afternoon. I'm guessing that when they got into the Pacific it was a wild ride. Not sure if they have the ability to stay in the inside due to Seymour Narrows tides.

Hi guys, Brinnon got hit pretty bad yesterday too. Trees all over, power lines on our road and I was stuck in that horrible traffic returning from Seattle. In Poulsbo, the troopers wouldn't let any of the waiting cars/trucks bring out their chain saws and get the trees off the road. We waited 1.5 hours in traffic to just go from Poulsbo to the bridge. Then it looked like a war zone all the way home. We're so fortunate that we have Mason County PUD because we were up and running with power around 7:30pm. I can't imagine being out on a cruise ship in this weather. With 65 mile winds on the canal, it looked like the middle of the ocean in a hurricane. My heart goes out to those who were on a ship with weather like this. I would have to take a sleeping pill and just crash because I would be so scared I would have a heart attack!

Were you at the trailer? If so, how was the wind coming off the ocean?

I know we need the rain for the fires here in BC and in WA state, and so happy to have less smoke around, but not liking the ferocity of that wind.:(

Yeah you folks have been dealing with the smoke from the fires all summer, haven't you? All summer it was from the fires in BC, right? And recently the WA fires? We've been getting heavy heavy smoke from the WA fires. We spent a day in Calgary which, despite the news reports from Calgary, had much less smoke than we've been experiencing.

I don't know how the Lower Mainland has coped with the smoke all summer and the noxious temperatures I've read about :( And now this storm :( Big sympathies to everyone out that way, both in the US and Canada.

Yeah you folks have been dealing with the smoke from the fires all summer, haven't you? All summer it was from the fires in BC, right? And recently the WA fires? We've been getting heavy heavy smoke from the WA fires. We spent a day in Calgary which, despite the news reports from Calgary, had much less smoke than we've been experiencing.

I don't know how the Lower Mainland has coped with the smoke all summer and the noxious temperatures I've read about :( And now this storm :( Big sympathies to everyone out that way, both in the US and Canada.

It's very possible you came on a good day. Thursday wasn't bad, Friday disgusting. Sorry you feel the information is being made up. A few hour visit isn't likely the same as living somewhere. I know I would never make such an assessment.

Edited by cruz chic

(bolding mine)

Read that several times, and thought "wow, there is an exceptionally calm attitude in the face of adversity, needing to stock up on more candies" :o :eek: One I cleaned my glasses, I managed to read what you actually wrote :o

Glad you are well-prepared! I need to get shopping soon to get our emergency winter supplies in.

I think she should stock up on candies as well as candles. But that's just me. :)

Checking in from the middle of Puget Sound-grandson's little pool now has 2 1/2 inches of rain in it-was barely damp a couple of days ago. We could barely see out the front window due to all the leaves flying around. It is amazing how much we've been praying for some gray skies and rain and then boy! did our prayers come true, a little too much at once. Luckily we didn't lose any trees. The large ones lost in Vancouver is a sad sight. And now the sun is brightly shining after spits of rain off and on all day. A strange year for weather everywhere! Take care and be safe everyone!

I will indeed stock up on candies, ladies. And wine.

I just went for a walk and the damage in daylight looks quite startling. But the smoke has cleared.

Well, the smoke clearing is a blessing in a bad time.

Sounds so much like the tropical storms we get here and they are horrendous.

I feel so badly for all of you and the lovely trees in Stanley Park. I am sure the drought weakened them. Sad to hear of the devastation and just glad that you and others there ae safe.

hoping what comes is not what you had and doubly grateful I am not cruising out of Vancouver

Checking in from the middle of Puget Sound-grandson's little pool now has 2 1/2 inches of rain in it-was barely damp a couple of days ago. We could barely see out the front window due to all the leaves flying around. It is amazing how much we've been praying for some gray skies and rain and then boy! did our prayers come true, a little too much at once. Luckily we didn't lose any trees. The large ones lost in Vancouver is a sad sight. And now the sun is brightly shining after spits of rain off and on all day. A strange year for weather everywhere! Take care and be safe everyone!

I have a couple of good friends who live in the Seattle area. You folks have had a tough summer with the heat, haven't you?

I will indeed stock up on candies, ladies. And wine.

I just went for a walk and the damage in daylight looks quite startling. But the smoke has cleared.

Oh good! Candies and wine, you will be set for whatever the next weather system brings ;)

Glad to hear your smoke has cleared out! That has to be a relief after a summer of smoke-haze.

I just read this thread tonight. I am very sorry that you were hit with such a big storm. I pray that every one is safe and that life get back to normal for you.

We are fine, and thank you for your concern. When I started the thread it was because of the ships putting out to sea in the height of the storm, from Vancouver. Hoping to hear that they met smoother seas.

We are in the Fraser Valley-just outside of Vancouver. The damage everywhere is startling. While at the worst there were over 500,000 households without power, right now there are still more than 100,000 on the Maple Ridge and Langley areas alone that are out. And that's just around here, across the border similar numbers. The Ride to Conquer Cancer was suspended, wise decision.

Today there are more businesses open, restaurants and stores, but yesterday there were practically none to be found. That was some storm! But as far as the cruise ships are concerned, they would not have left had it not been safe.

I think she should stock up on candies as well as candles. But that's just me. :)
If I use candles, I get tealights... they last a long time and have a metal container.

I've seen what happens when a candle burns to the end and the pooling wax cracks a porcelin plate and the wax spreads across a wooden table with flames everywhere. I heard on the media that a candle on a wooden balcony burned down a nearby apartment building down when the owner fell asleep.

Most of us have cars.... some of us have these booster packs for jump starts. Some models come with a light and/or an inverter. These can provide enough light until power is restored.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J5C09-Starter-Built-Compressor/dp/B002X6VXL4/ref=sr_1_4

In my house... I have battery operated motion night lights. I bring them with me when travelling in hotels and/or cruise ships. They light up the hallway during a power outage or when you can't find the light switch. Great for seniors. Similar to this...

http://www.amazon.com/Beams-Battery-Powered-Motion-Sensing-Stick-Anywhere-Nightlight/dp/B002FCGI8Y

As a photographer, I constantly have low-discharge Eneloops ready to go for my camera equipment that can be repurposed for lighting in a power outage.

We were booked to leave Vancouver last Saturday 30/8 for a 14 day B2B on the Oosterdam. Unfortunately we had to cancel quite a few months ago and I was quite sad that we weren't sailing last weekend. Now I am not quite sad. :)

Edited by Stratheden

If I use candles, I get tealights... they last a long time and have a metal container.

I've seen what happens when a candle burns to the end and the pooling wax cracks a porcelin plate and the wax spreads across a wooden table with flames everywhere. I heard on the media that a candle on a wooden balcony burned down a nearby apartment building down when the owner fell asleep.

Most of us have cars.... some of us have these booster packs for jump starts. Some models come with a light and/or an inverter. These can provide enough light until power is restored.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J5C09-Starter-Built-Compressor/dp/B002X6VXL4/ref=sr_1_4

In my house... I have battery operated motion night lights. I bring them with me when travelling in hotels and/or cruise ships. They light up the hallway during a power outage or when you can't find the light switch. Great for seniors. Similar to this...

http://www.amazon.com/Beams-Battery-Powered-Motion-Sensing-Stick-Anywhere-Nightlight/dp/B002FCGI8Y

As a photographer, I constantly have low-discharge Eneloops ready to go for my camera equipment that can be repurposed for lighting in a power outage.

I stopped using tea lights the day one caught fire in a Christmas ornament. Instead of just the wick burning, the melted wax started burning. Luckily I was right in the room and was able to beat it out but it scared me to death. Now I only use battery powered tea lights.

I take the battery powered ones to use as night lights on a cruise as well.

Edited by sapper1

Living in the Puget Sound area, storms were certainly damaging, particularly to many trees and other plant life. Our high wind storms are usually in the winter when leaves are off the trees. This time they of course are in full leaf bloom, more effected by the high winds. In our area we lost a number of trees but by some quirk - none hit homes. Certainly not true for parts of the Puget Sound area.

IF one wants to look for a bright side, it is warm enough in Western Washington (and BC I would guess) that losing power does not mean being cold in our powerless homes. Also, there are more hours of daylight, making a powerless life easier. Other than the inconvenience of no power - folks can easily survive unless medical conditions require power. (We were without power for about 8 hours.)

Usually we have this type of winds in the winter when it gets dark around 4-5 pm and light around 8 am. Also, usually it is cold outside and inside powerless homes. Much more of a hardship (or actually dangerous) for more people.