Formal nights getting really casual ....

YWW

for those that would really like to know the appropriate cruise ship attire, this is a very good article http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?id=2685.

I would highly recommend watching the full episode on tlc. This is the link to the partial episode http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/what-not-to-wear/videos/cruising/

lol

A cute dress isn't a formal dress though.

Ok let's nitpick. I wore fancy cocktail dresses on the 2 formal nights, not full length gowns. Is that formal enough? By the way, this was on Carnival, where pretty much anything goes even on formal nights (they were still called formal nights back then, now they are called elegant nights).

I didn't realize that I would have to be so specific. I think you missed my point entirely. The luggage restrictions and fees are just a lame excuse. I've proven that it can be done. :D

I am curious how Princess would deal with the concept of having one dining room for formal dress and one for casual. It would certainly prove a point, in a voting manner, of what the public actually prefers. Perhaps those formal nights would have to be open seating to accommodate the "unknown" number of people and their choices. Or, perhaps reservations would need to be made for the formal DR only for those formal nights.

Another alternative would be that Princess NOT offer their special menu on formal nights, instead the usual offerings from standard nights. I am sure there are some who want to go to the dining room on formal night simply because they are offering lobster and filet, etc. These items are not served in the HC. Make the special menu available to ALL passengers on a regular night. Sure, people can always go to the on-board specialty restaurants and pay extra for the rubbery, pre-frozen lobster but why not get it for free in the dining room?

And for you ladies who say you can pack your darling little dresses in carry-on bags, good for you. But do you have a husband that is a "big & tall" whose sport or suit jacket and dress shoes alone take up more than half a suitcase? Even the Regency cruise line has OPTIONAL formal nights and their cruise fare is 3...4 times more expensive than Princess or HAL.

If I were dealing with the concept of having a venue designated as the one for Formal Nights, I would base it on traditional dining. For example, if the ship had early and late seating traditional dining in one room, then I would designate that room, and only that room, as requiring formal dress on formal nights. You would be given the choice, subject to availability, of celebrating formal nights or not at the time of booking. Early and late seating would be available. If you were not assigned to that room, you would have the option of formal dress in the other rooms but with no expectation that others in that room would dress up. If you were assigned to the formal venue and chose not to dress, then you would have to go to a non-MDR venue.

One argument against that concept is that one might not get their choice. Another argument is that there would be a larger number of passengers about the ship who are not dressed up which would diminish the 'ambiance' of formal nights.

BTW, I've not seen any 'special menus' for formal nights. The formal night menus I've seen are not noticeably better than any of the others. Certainly not so superior to make me put on a suit. I can get better lobster at my local Red Lobster and they don't require a suit.

Good point about the premium lines. Have you noticed that Royal and Celebrity are offering restaurants exclusively for suites? Neither observe formal nights.

Interesting! I never knew there was so much passion about what others wear or don't wear.

The only thing I can say is that I only take carry on luggage because when your luggage gets lost on the way to a cruise and is not recovered, it doesn't matter how many formal wear outfits you can pack in your bag! IF I have room, I pack something nice. If I don't I eat at the buffet.

We are going on a 28 transpacific cruise and spending 3 weeks post cruise in Australia, there will be no formal wear in my carry on. I would like to see some who have commented about ALWAYS packing formal wear to wear it hiking in the outback. lol

To each his own. I do not go to MDR, you should not worry about what I do or don't wear.

...My thoughts and observations are that I would love to see those that don't dress formally, dress in business or smart casual. However, since they are some people who have taken this to mean, cut-offs, holey t-shirts, and ball caps, this concept is unlikely to be successful...

I agree. I think many people these days see the word "casual" and think it means wear anything you want to. On my last cruise on the Golden, smart casual nights in the MDR for dinner included ripped jeans, shorts, ball caps and flip-flops. Until they are turned away at the MDR (and yes, this used to happen) things won't get any better.

I live in Southern CA, and wear shorts most of the year, but can manage to put on a pair of decent pants when going out to eat someplace nice :rolleyes:. I feel it all comes down to a matter of respect. Some follow the rules at least partially out of respect for the others that do also; some feel entitled to do whatever they want to, regardless of others.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

If you are accusing me of being a "purist," as you put it, you are wrong. (In fact, I see very few "purists" in this particular thread.) Beyond the discomfort of having to look a man with his bare belly hanging out of his polo shirt and drooping over his khakis, I am willing to let anyone wear anything into the dining room. (And since you will doubtless accuse me of sexism, let me say I also do not enjoy the sight of a woman in pink bedazzled sweat pants, either.) To quote a great man, "I like looking at well-dressed people. Sue me."

Perhaps after you've been around for awhile you will see that this is common practice.

Have you seen the glittery bedazzled ladies baseball caps? Quite a few women were sporting them on our TA cruise. DH nick-named them the "Glitteratzzi" and said that was how they contacted the mother-ship (aka the Crown Princess) should they become lost whilst in port. ;)

BTW, I agree it's a lot easier on the eyes to look at a well-dressed person, than one that's not so much.:cool:

All kidding aside, I think most people do try and follow the dress guidelines. As the OP stated though, there did seem to be a decline in formal dress on our March 2015 California Coastal cruise. Passengers were wearing clothing that I wouldn't be caught dead in, much less leaving the house. So sad.

If I were dealing with the concept of having a venue designated as the one for Formal Nights, I would base it on traditional dining. For example, if the ship had early and late seating traditional dining in one room, then I would designate that room, and only that room, as requiring formal dress on formal nights. You would be given the choice, subject to availability, of celebrating formal nights or not at the time of booking. Early and late seating would be available. If you were not assigned to that room, you would have the option of formal dress in the other rooms but with no expectation that others in that room would dress up. If you were assigned to the formal venue and chose not to dress, then you would have to go to a non-MDR venue.

One argument against that concept is that one might not get their choice. Another argument is that there would be a larger number of passengers about the ship who are not dressed up which would diminish the 'ambiance' of formal nights.

BTW, I've not seen any 'special menus' for formal nights. The formal night menus I've seen are not noticeably better than any of the others. Certainly not so superior to make me put on a suit. I can get better lobster at my local Red Lobster and they don't require a suit.

From the main page "Editor" cruise critic review - Of primary importance are formal nights, when the chef goes all-out with lobster or beef tenderloin.)

Good point about the premium lines. Have you noticed that Royal and Celebrity are offering restaurants exclusively for suites? Neither observe formal nights.

I just want to add one thing. I am not an advocate for people showing up for dinner in the dining rooms in clothing that many may find offensive, i.e. tank tops, shorts, ball caps. But some here even find it offensive for those who chose to dress in slacks and a long-sleeved shirt WITHOUT a tie and jacket. In all honesty, I have cruised for many years and on many different cruise lines, and I have never noticed, nor paid attention, to what other people are wearing in the dining rooms. I'm looking at my dearly beloved's sweet face and the food when it is presented. I just wish people weren't so judgmental. I will always be an advocate for those who desire to make their own choices. Never judge a book by its cover, ya know? :)

"Special" is in the eye of the beholder, is it not? Possibly there are people who like different things from what you like. I know, difficult concept.

I really don't understand this thread and why people are saying there should be no formal night. For those who said there needs to be an alternative to formal night, well…. there is. It is called the Horizon Court, Alfredo's (if there is one), Crown Grill, Sabatini's. Plenty of choices already. The Princess cruises I have been on have had a very high number of people dressed up (not necessarily formal but at least wearing nice clothes) for the evening and not just to eat. It is the ambiance of the evening to be dressed up. Doesn't matter that a few people here and there (at Crooner's or wherever) are not dressed up. Most passengers ARE. (I don't know about Caribbean cruises… maybe less formal?)

For those who don't care what other people wear… good for you. As for me I do care to a degree. If I were all dressed up wearing clothing I would wear to a nice wedding I would feel silly if I were one of the only people dressed like that. I compare dressing like that and going out to Olive Garden or Red Lobster. Ok if I am going somewhere afterwards that requires it but not if my dh and I decide "Let's dress "to the nines" tonight and go to dinner" at a place where we would definitely look "different" because we were not following what the normal dress code was.

Basically there is no need for Princess to change the dress code because frankly ENOUGH people dress up and for those that don't there are alternatives for them. That tells Princess that formal night is still wanted. I think that the people posting on this thread are a tiny minority because all of CC is a tiny minority of the cruising public.

"Special" is in the eye of the beholder, is it not? Possibly there are people who like different things from what you like. I know, difficult concept.

It is true that being "special" is in the eye of the beholder but I'm not alone in this assessment. In fact, others have suggested that one way to get passengers to dress up for formal nights would be to make the formal night menus truly "special". So, it's not just a case of people liking different things. Not really such a difficult concept after all.

Look folks - it's' really, really simple. If you don't like, or don't agree with one cruise lines rules and guidelines, just choose another cruise line that is more in tune with your personal thinking. Nothing to it !!!!

...VTX-Al

You can fight about this all you want, fact is things are getting more casual. Even HAL has dropped the requirement for a jacket. Cruising is evolving like it or not - it's just a matter of time.

Agree and I will be happy and the formal wear can still be worn by those with that preference.

Nicely proposed. It would be nice if it could work. It would be novel, for sure. Not sure if the numbers would balance out (i.e. would there be sufficient demand to fill a large DR twice?). It might cause over-crowding elsewhere and for the 5/7 nights with no formal wear, need to have TD going to same tables in same DR.

If you are accusing me of being a "purist," as you put it, you are wrong. (In fact, I see very few "purists" in this particular thread.) Beyond the discomfort of having to look a man with his bare belly hanging out of his polo shirt and drooping over his khakis, I am willing to let anyone wear anything into the dining room. (And since you will doubtless accuse me of sexism, let me say I also do not enjoy the sight of a woman in pink bedazzled sweat pants, either.) To quote a great man, "I like looking at well-dressed people. Sue me."

No, I wasn't "accusing" anyone, least of all you. But there are posters who espouse and support the strict interpretation of the Princess-worded policy. If one does so I think "purist" is a non-judgemental applicable term.

I have no indication you are the least bit sexist, so rest assured once again, I have no such thought. You have taken things out of context unfortunately.

That said, it is sexist to have a policy that does not include a suit for a woman. If one is to take it as worded.

And the rather extreme exaggerated examples you wrote would not be a pleasant sight, but I try to avoid discussing weight issues as there are different reasons involved. :cool:

Edited by steelers36

No thanks.

I really don't understand this thread and why people are saying there should be no formal night. For those who said there needs to be an alternative to formal night, well…. there is. It is called the Horizon Court, Alfredo's (if there is one), Crown Grill, Sabatini's. Plenty of choices already. The Princess cruises I have been on have had a very high number of people dressed up (not necessarily formal but at least wearing nice clothes) for the evening and not just to eat. It is the ambiance of the evening to be dressed up. Doesn't matter that a few people here and there (at Crooner's or wherever) are not dressed up. Most passengers ARE. (I don't know about Caribbean cruises… maybe less formal?)

For those who don't care what other people wear… good for you. As for me I do care to a degree. If I were all dressed up wearing clothing I would wear to a nice wedding I would feel silly if I were one of the only people dressed like that. I compare dressing like that and going out to Olive Garden or Red Lobster. Ok if I am going somewhere afterwards that requires it but not if my dh and I decide "Let's dress "to the nines" tonight and go to dinner" at a place where we would definitely look "different" because we were not following what the normal dress code was.

Basically there is no need for Princess to change the dress code because frankly ENOUGH people dress up and for those that don't there are alternatives for them. That tells Princess that formal night is still wanted. I think that the people posting on this thread are a tiny minority because all of CC is a tiny minority of the cruising public.

Yes, true that some posters have advocated just forget the nights and go all smart casual, but I think a large number are posting about relaxing the code and make it formal optional. I basically agree with your second point too - I'm okay with things if they don't change as enforcement is to a less strict standard. I'd rather see a more inclusive policy and then enforce the no t-shirts, shorts and other "obvious?" dress.

Because I am going on a Carnival cruise in January I was looking at some previous threads on the Carnival board about their dress code. One person commented that before they went on their Princess cruise they were always reading threads like this one. Therefore she felt like a lot of people do not dress up for formal night. She/he was quite surprised when they went on their cruise and found the exact opposite. They said that not only were people dressed up but they stayed that way for the evening. I found this kind of funny considering I have been reading this particular thread on the Princess board. My experience, as I have stated before, is that formal night is something that most people on the cruise wish to partake in but apparently not so much by the people responding to this thread.

Ok let's nitpick. I wore fancy cocktail dresses on the 2 formal nights, not full length gowns. Is that formal enough? By the way, this was on Carnival, where pretty much anything goes even on formal nights (they were still called formal nights back then, now they are called elegant nights).

I didn't realize that I would have to be so specific. I think you missed my point entirely. The luggage restrictions and fees are just a lame excuse. I've proven that it can be done. :D

I am truly not nit picking.

What is the definition of formal then? In my 'world' a cocktail dress is NOT formal. A long dress is. On your definition I wore formal every formal night of my recent med cruise - I consider I did not.

So I would look at your cocktail dress and think you haven't dressed formal.

Isnt that interesting and maybe the crux of the thread - what someone considers formal, others do not. Add in racial and cultural differences and it is no wonder everyone gets in such a lather and how does a cruiseline deal with it.

I also agree that the word 'casual' is misleading and should go. Too open to interpretation. Shirts with collar and long slacks and closed shoes for men, long slacks and top/ dress for women and shoes or sandals (no denim or rubber shoes allowed?)

Edited by Pushka

I am truly not nit picking.

What is the definition of formal then? In my 'world' a cocktail dress is NOT formal. A long dress is. On your definition I wore formal every formal night of my recent med cruise - I consider I did not.

So I would look at your cocktail dress and think you haven't dressed formal.

Isnt that interesting and maybe the crux of the thread - what someone considers formal, others do not. Add in racial and cultural differences and it is no wonder everyone gets in such a lather and how does a cruiseline deal with it.

I also agree that the word 'casual' is misleading and should go. Too open to interpretation. Shirts with collar and long slacks and closed shoes for men, long slacks and top/ dress for women and shoes or sandals (no denim or rubber shoes allowed?)

What?

In my 'world' a cocktail dress is NOT formal.

I'm not nit-picking either (;)), and I don't know your world, so I take you at your word. Just wanted to point out that "cocktail dress" is specifically listed by Princess in their formal night dress recommendations. So, go figure.

No way Princess will ever make everyone happy, so all they can do is try their best.

Oh, BTW, Princess uses the term "smart casual". Whole different thing in my mind than "casual".

Edited by steelers36

I'm not nit-picking either (;)), and I don't know your world, so I take you at your word. Just wanted to point out that "cocktail dress" is specifically listed by Princess in their formal night dress recommendations. So, go figure.

No way Princess will ever make everyone happy, so all they can do is try their best.

Oh, BTW, Princess uses the term "smart casual". Whole different thing in my mind than "casual".

Smart casual is good then. I guess I was dressing formal after all - even though if I was asked, I would say I wasn't. What are the definitions of formal wear for men then? In Australia that would be a tux.