Formal nights getting really casual ....

YWW

My cocktail dress and heels weigh less, and take up less room in the suitcase, than a pair of jeans, a shirt, and tennis shoes.

Additionally, my formal clothes are just as comfortable as my non-formal clothes. I don't buy clothes that don't fit or that are uncomfortable to wear. Do people actually go shopping, try something on, and then say to themselves, "This is uncomfortable and doesn't fit right. I think I'll buy it and wear it on my cruise.". :eek:

These arguments of "it won't fit in my luggage" and "it weighs too much" and "I'm not comfortable" have absolutely no basis in fact.

The fact is that some people don't want to dress up and feel like they need to make excuses to justify their actions.

Other people like to dress up. My husband and I like to dress up so that we look nice for each other. Unlike some people, we don't wear the same clothing on the ship that we wear to clean house and do yard work in. I'm sure that's a novel concept for some passengers, but we're not dressing to impress you.

We are flying to Alaska from Australia. And doing a Princess Land Tout prior. We will need to take heavy duty clothing just to stay warm so for us the jackets/shoes required for a formal night just wont fit into 20 kilos/luggage space. I can no longer carry heavier cases. Actually no one should. And while some like to dispute that, they have not tried it on the distances Aussies have to fly to do anything other than Sth Pacific cruises.

Jeans sneakers etc are worn multiple times. Yes they take up space but thats probably seven days worth of clothes. Formal gear is worn for three hours. How does that make sense?

Partner took a jacket on our cruise to the Med this month. The jacket was a pain. It would have been totally crushed in a bulging suitcase so he had to wear it when moving between cruise and accommodations when it was stinking hot, and also during the many flights we had to take. I will never ask him to do that again.

We dont dine in the MDR on formal nights but there still should be a free, nice dining area for those who dont have the wont to dress up, to dine in other than the buffet.

Edited by Pushka

..... men without a shirt and women who might as well be without one. ....

I think you are a little off topic of the DR, speaking of Atrium during the day, but you can encounter women in their finery that you might suggest the same thing (revealing their assets). I try not to judge that.

That said, I don't recall seeing bare-chested men in the Atrium (not that we've been on a huge number of cruises mind you).

The formal night topic always attracts a lot of posts. But much rarer are comments on the smart casual nights. I find the variance in dress is much more marked then than on the formal nights. On formal nights, I believe most make the effort to some degree. From our experience, what the OP reported has been quite rare in the Caribbean. But it is the case that the amount of strictly formal dress has gone down in Caribbean and all reports on Alaska, Pacific coast indicate the same.

I understand it would be nice if Princess was consistent, but it seems to work pretty well now with people dressing up as much as they like (full suits or tuxes, gowns) or with dress pants, shirt and tie and LBD's. I'm fine with people doing as they see fit. I'm happy if we have reasonable decorum. Heck, I'd be happy if it wasn't a topic anymore.

As for an "AGENDA", I don't think there is any more of an agenda from those wanting to eliminate formal dress code than from those wanting to preserve it.

I must be an exceptional packer because I had no problems meeting our luggage requirements on our 32-day cruise, which included snow in Europe.

In addition to packing for five formal nights, I also found room for two coats, boots, a hat, scarf, and gloves. Unfortunately, one poor lady forgot her gloves and had to wear her socks on her hands like mittens.:eek:

BTW, most luggage comes on wheels now, so there's no need to carry it.

I must be an exceptional packer because I had no problems meeting our luggage requirements on our 32-day cruise, which included snow in Europe.

In addition to packing for five formal nights, I also found room for two coats, boots, a hat, scarf, and gloves. Unfortunately, one poor lady forgot her gloves and had to wear her socks on her hands like mittens.:eek:

BTW, most luggage comes on wheels now, so there's no need to carry it.

I agree it still fits fine. ;)

Thats the thing. Your cruise was 32 days long. You pack and unpack once. And guess what, in Europe many accommodations do not have elevators. Just stairs. And Europe trains are often double decker. No conductor. Do it yourself. You do have to carry your luggage so the wheels comment doesnt work.

Try this. A 2 hour flight with an overnight in a hotel, (Adelaide - Sydney) collect your luggage for that night then rebook it on the next plane, then next flight of 9 hours. (Sydney - Hong Kong) Another overnight, collect luggage, hotel, then repack, luggage to plane again. After a 12 hour flight (Hong kong to Paris) collect luggage again and get it to next hotel. 4 nights. Pack up again then take train to Barcelona where you have to carry your luggage yourself up and down a flight of stairs on the train. No conductor. Hotel in Barcelona. Unpack, repack then finally on to cruise. Unpack and stay unpacked. Bliss.

Then repack and get luggage to Rome Hotel. Guess what. No elevator! Husband has to lug up two suitcases up two flights. Then repeat a slightly less tortured trip home.

Unless you have travelled from Australia, to Europe on a land and cruise tour then I really dont think you have experienced the space, weight and luggage issue.

Edited by Pushka

We are flying to Alaska from Australia. And doing a Princess Land Tout prior. We will need to take heavy duty clothing just to stay warm so for us the jackets/shoes required for a formal night just wont fit into 20 kilos/luggage space. I can no longer carry heavier cases. Actually no one should. And while some like to dispute that, they have not tried it on the distances Aussies have to fly to do anything other than Sth Pacific cruises.

Jeans sneakers etc are worn multiple times. Yes they take up space but thats probably seven days worth of clothes. Formal gear is worn for three hours. How does that make sense?

Partner took a jacket on our cruise to the Med this month. The jacket was a pain. It would have been totally crushed in a bulging suitcase so he had to wear it when moving between cruise and accommodations when it was stinking hot, and also during the many flights we had to take. I will never ask him to do that again.

We dont dine in the MDR on formal nights but there still should be a free, nice dining area for those who dont have the wont to dress up, to dine in other than the buffet.

The buffet is a nice dining area.:) You don't have to dress up. :D

Thats the thing. Your cruise was 32 days long. You pack and unpack once. And guess what, in Europe many accommodations do not have elevators. Just stairs. And Europe trains are often double decker. No conductor. Do it yourself. You do have to carry your luggage so the wheels comment doesnt work.

Try this. A 2 hour flight with an overnight in a hotel, (Adelaide - Sydney) collect your luggage for that night then rebook it on the next plane, then next flight of 9 hours. (Sydney - Hong Kong) Another overnight, collect luggage, hotel, then repack, luggage to plane again. After a 12 hour flight (Hong kong to Paris) collect luggage again and get it to next hotel. 4 nights. Pack up again then take train to Barcelona where you have to carry your luggage yourself up and down a flight of stairs on the train. No conductor. Hotel in Barcelona. Unpack, repack then finally on to cruise. Unpack and stay unpacked. Bliss.

Then repack and get luggage to Rome Hotel. Guess what. No elevator! Husband has to lug up two suitcases up two flights. Then repeat a slightly less tortured trip home.

Unless you have travelled from Australia, to Europe on a land and cruise tour then I really dont think you have experienced the space, weight and luggage issue.

I have traveled 30 days through cold and warm climates from Sydney to LA and had no problem packing dress clothes. :D

I enjoy formal nights as I do not have many occasions that require dressing up. I also dress every night for dinner, it might not be formal, but it would be nice enough for a wedding or a funeral.

I had a new pair of shoes that felt fine when tried them out. However after the first night that I wore them I had blisters. I had planned on wearing these shoes multiple nights so that was an issue. I put on a pair of flats for dinner and my mother announced she would not go to the dinning room with me unless I changed my shoes (she is old school and my only wish in life is to keep her happy while I still have her). So I just threw on a band aid and wore the shoes to dinner. But I did change into the flat immediately after.

Unfortunately all my cruises have been local so I do not need to fly. I do still only pack one suitcase. I have to be able to manage both mine and my mothers. I just bought a bigger suit case! :)

All cruise lines are going with the flow of more casual dress. Some cruise lines do not even have formal nights,the dress code is country club casual all the time.

It isn't necessary to dress in formal attire to look nice. I think most people try to look their best on board, even if they are in nice jeans or casual clothes.

Young people almost never check luggage and we try to avoid doing so.

I have traveled 30 days through cold and warm climates from Sydney to LA and had no problem packing dress clothes. :D

Except I did reference Europe though. Where hotels frequently dont have elevators. Trains have stairs. Ever try luggage in Venice?

It's not about too much luggage or comfort. Those are silly excuses designed to cover the fact that a slob is a slob. I don't care what rags you decide to drape over your body on any night, formal or otherwise. If you want to look like an unmade bed, that's fine with me. But stop telling me I have to dress like you. I'll keep doing the formal dress in spite of all the childish whining that goes on here by the crowd with the agenda.

Go Shredie!!!:D

It's not about too much luggage or comfort. Those are silly excuses designed to cover the fact that a slob is a slob. I don't care what rags you decide to drape over your body on any night, formal or otherwise. If you want to look like an unmade bed, that's fine with me. But stop telling me I have to dress like you. I'll keep doing the formal dress in spite of all the childish whining that goes on here by the crowd with the agenda.

Could you kindly point me to the post where anyone here told YOU what YOU had to wear?

And when someone resorts to such exaggeration 'looking like an unmade bed' simply because they do not take formal items to wear on a cruise, well, I take such posts for what they are worth.

Young people almost never check luggage and we try to avoid doing so.

We've seen those people on the plane. :eek:

They are trying to shove a bag that is way too big into the overhead bin. The take-off is delayed, until a stewardess comes and takes the bag away and makes them check it.

As a side note, this is why we like to fly on Southwest. They will let you have two 50 lb. checked bags for free. Then if one should experience turbulence, an over-sized carry-on-bag (that some cheap person refused to check because they didn't want to pay baggage fees) won't come flying out of the bin and hit one on the head.

In reality I like formal nights as I like to see the men and women in their lovely gowns and tuxes. On QM2 I participated fully in five formals with long dress and heels. But when on land trips with my husband I just cant justify the extra weight as something else would have to go and I seem to use everything I currently take. Multiple times.

I dress smart casual every night - never wear jeans to MDR and usually a dress or black tailored pants. Sad to think that some think such dressing looks like an unmade bed and such value judgements.

Its interesting to see that the most expensive cruiselines don't offer formal dressing.

Shredie, believe me, I'm 100% in your camp in terms of wearing your formal dress, or what pleases you.

But honestly I have not seen rags and unmade beds on formal nights, recognizing I have not been on as many ships as you. IMO, there's almost much more variance in the "smart casual" dress and almost no one mentions that.

I have nothing personally to whine about as the current system works for me whether I elect to dress way up or partially up. As I mentioned in another post, there is as much of an agenda from those who want to preserve or bring back mandatory formal wear.

I think it works for everyone pretty well right now - I think some posters are genuinely posting to learn how things are on current cruises perhaps compared to the last time they cruised.

I dress smart casual every night - never wear jeans to MDR and usually a dress or black tailored pants. Sad to think that some think such dressing looks like an unmade bed and such value judgements.

If you are dressed "smart casual", no one will accuse you of looking like an unmade bed. It's the passengers that come to dinner in cut-offs and cowboy boots (I kid you not) torn, stained t-shirts (again, not kidding) and refuse to take off their sweaty ball caps, that will be mistaken for unmade beds.

If you are dressed "smart casual", no one will accuse you of looking like an unmade bed. It's the passengers that come to dinner in cut-offs and cowboy boots (I kid you not) torn, stained t-shirts (again, not kidding) and refuse to take off their sweaty ball caps, that will be mistaken for unmade beds.

It's obvious you haven't spent much time in Texas. To many Texans, cowboy boots is DRESS ATTIRE and cost considerably more than most lady or men's dress shoes.

It's obvious you haven't spent much time in Texas. To many Texans, cowboy boots is DRESS ATTIRE and cost considerably more than most lady or men's dress shoes.

Cowboy boots can be very fashionable. It's wearing them with ratty cut-off shorts that is inappropriate.

The flip side of your guesstimate would be that 60 to 70% still followed the formal night dress code to a certain degree, and by your own admission possibly higher for women. Yet you wish to cancel a tradition that the majority still enjoy under the presumption that every non-participant feels the same way as you do (that dressing nicer than smart casual is a "pain and a chore"). And Princess describes its non-formal nights as "smart casual" not "business casual" the latter being essentially a uniform of khakis with either a polo shirt or cotton work shirt--thus actually more restrictive than "smart casual" while less dressy at the same time. So if I read the original post correctly, what is being proposed is not just the elimination of formal nights but the strict conformity of what is worn every night in the MDR.

You're making an assumption that the 60 to 70% wanted a formal dress code. Many probably just went along but would have preferred a less formal dress. Start calling them Formal Optional and see how many participate.