Formal nights getting really casual ....

YWW

That sums it up nicely. There house (ship) there rules. I, however, don't have strong feelings on the presence of formal nights or not. I do get tired of the buckets of acid flung on this subject in both directions.

Right. Their ship, their rules. Which means it's only their business if they choose not to enforce said rules. On my recent Europe cruise, the baggage restrictions on the way home were so tight that if I had brought a suit and accessories (dress shoes, notably) I would have had to pay for an extra bag.

I will admit I don't understand how what other fare-paying customers choose to wear affects your enjoyment of your own meal, so long as it doesn't smell. I also favor Azamara's policy. Formal night is increasingly an anachronism and I don't expect to see it in twenty years, assuming of course I am in a position to see anything then!

Edited by Wehwalt

But this thread was about the MDR on formal night. There are NO RULES as to what people are to wear around the ship on formal night. There are NO "smart casual" rules about how one is to dress around the ship. Some people like to go to MUTS or other venues in the evening after dinner. Do you expect them to go in their formal wear?

GREAT post. It was worth copying and repeating.

The trend is toward more casual. I want to pack in one suitcase , especially when flying and paying for each suitcase.

I once went on a 7 day cruise with just one small suitcase (carry-on) and still managed to wear a cute dress to the dining room every single evening. :rolleyes:

I once went on a 7 day cruise with just one small suitcase (carry-on) and still managed to wear a cute dress to the dining room every single evening. :rolleyes:

A cute dress isn't a formal dress though.

Actually the assumption I was making is that passengers who book a Princess cruise know what they are in for: just like having to attend the muster drill or live with those tiny showers and whoooosh-ing toilets for the length of their cruise, if you want to eat in the MDR on lobster night you have to dress up. Period.

As to a couple of the tangential issues mentioned in responses: having one MDR designated as formal but the others not will not work unless traditional seating is also eliminated. But having observed such a setup on NCL it really doesn't work that way either, adding multiple other factors in the choice between dining rooms--crowding, service quality, and variances in the menu--besides dress code.

And to those who mentioned that some of the most expensive ships have eliminated formal nights: would you really like to see Princess go to "country club casual" 24/7 in all indoor venues like the luxury lines? Have seen reports on their boards of passengers castigated for merely walking from their cabin to the pool or spa in a cover-up, or not wearing linen slacks and a button-down shirt even to the breakfast buffet. So be careful what you wish for...

Perhaps the majority of passengers are aware of formal nights. Being aware of something is not the same thing as agreeing with it. It is possible that a significant number of passengers just put up with formal nights. The lack of enforcement of the dress code indicates that Princess is very aware that Formal Nights are not as popular as some would prefer to think.

Designating one MDR as formal would work. At booking, you would state a preference for formal or smart casual and would dress in accordance with the assigned dining room.

And, yes, I would like Princess to go Formal Optional on the currently scheduled formal nights. The dress code could remain as is elsewhere.

My thoughts: Have only one formal night per 7 night cruise, rather than two. I think more would see it as a highlight evening, rather than a chore. It needs to be more special in the dining room and around the ship as well. Just not dressing up to dine.

I'm in the group that likes dressing up on formal night, but the cruiselines have made it less special over the years, so I fully understand why some no longer wish to bring formal attire on a cruise.

On all my Princess cruises most people dressed up and stayed that way. My first Princess cruise was to Alaska. I had read it was more casual so my dh wore a nice dress shirt with no tie and khakis. That is what I read on here was common for an Alaskan cruise. Boy were we wrong!!!! He was one of a handful that was not dressed up. Most men were wearing sport coats and ties.

We are a small portion of the cruising public. Most people are dressing up more than on the other nights. No need to change anything except maybe some retraining for some people who work in the dining room on some of the ships as the posts above seem to indicate they will seat just about anyone regardless of what they are wearing. I however have not seen this.

No need to change anything except maybe some retraining for some people who work in the dining room on some of the ships as the posts above seem to indicate they will seat just about anyone regardless of what they are wearing. I however have not seen this.

When you kick someone out of the dining room, you likely lose a customer. People who are willing to spend money on these things do not grow on trees. I do not think retraining to increase the incidence of this would be wise, as a CCL shareholder.

But this thread was about the MDR on formal night. There are NO RULES as to what people are to wear around the ship on formal night. There are NO "smart casual" rules about how one is to dress around the ship. Some people like to go to MUTS or other venues in the evening after dinner. Do you expect them to go in their formal wear?

Actually, this is what this thread is about. Per the OP,

I personally think Princess should just do away with these formal nights and go business casual each evening in the MDR since it's a pain and a chore to pack formal attire. Why bother with a cruise tradition when diners are no longer willing to dress up. Your thoughts and observations?

My thoughts and observations are that I would love to see those that don't dress formally, dress in business or smart casual. However, since they are some people who have taken this to mean, cut-offs, holey t-shirts, and ball caps, this concept is unlikely to be successful.

BTW, I do not change out of my formal clothing after dinner and neither does my husband. I might if I was going to a 10:00 pm or later showing at MUTS, but for all other venues there's no reason to change clothing. If others choose to do so, well that is their business.

Respect....interesting choice of words. Isn't that what Princess requests of those that don't want to participate in formal night? They ask for your respect for those that make the choice to participate and offer you alternative dining venues. :)

I choose to use the word "respect" specifically to point out that respect is a two way street. Those who prefer to dress up are always demanding others to respect their wishes. I simply think they should extend the respect they are demanding to those who have other preferences.

This is not an argument about what the rules are. This is an argument to change the rules. I think the time is nigh when Princess will 'respect' the wishes of the a significant number of their passengers for Formal Optional dining. The lack of enforcement of the dress code is evidence that more and more passengers prefer a new, less formal, code. If HAL has gone to Formal Optional, Princess will not be far behind.

Oh, I know, that will adversely affect the 'ambiance' of formal nights in the MDR. Perhaps, but that is a matter of opinion. Some enjoy the sight of a room full of tuxedos and formal dresses and think that enhances their enjoyment. Others do not.

When you kick someone out of the dining room, you likely lose a customer. People who are willing to spend money on these things do not grow on trees. I do not think retraining to increase the incidence of this would be wise, as a CCL shareholder.

I was merely posting about what others say not necessarily my opinion. I personally have never seen someone in shorts or t shirts etc on formal night try to enter the MDR so I don't know what would happen if they did. Many people have previously posted on other threads that they have seen them being politely told that it was formal night and they needed to wear different attire if they wanted to be seated in the MDR. On this thread there have been some posts that said that people were seated wearing "very casual" clothing. That occurrence would not happen on most ships but apparently it does happen on some. That is why I commented about retraining some people on certain ships.

We all know (because we have either seen it or read it on CC) that different things happen on different ships (different people in charge, less enforcement, etc)

I too am a stockholder.

Edited by dickinson

Thats the thing. And guess what, in Europe many accommodations do not have elevators. Just stairs. And Europe trains are often double decker. No conductor. Do it yourself. You do have to carry your luggage so the wheels comment doesnt work.

Try this. A 2 hour flight with an overnight in a hotel, (Adelaide - Sydney) collect your luggage for that night then rebook it on the next plane, then next flight of 9 hours. (Sydney - Hong Kong) Another overnight, collect luggage, hotel, then repack, luggage to plane again. After a 12 hour flight (Hong kong to Paris) collect luggage again and get it to next hotel. 4 nights. Pack up again then take train to Barcelona where you have to carry your luggage yourself up and down a flight of stairs on the train. No conductor. Hotel in Barcelona. Unpack, repack then finally on to cruise. Unpack and stay unpacked. Bliss.

Then repack and get luggage to Rome Hotel. Guess what. No elevator! Husband has to lug up two suitcases up two flights. Then repeat a slightly less tortured trip home.

And just who booked your trip? I assume that you had input about the trip? But then I have never traveled anywhere I couldn't get help if I ask politely (particularly if I tipped)!

If you are dressed "smart casual", no one will accuse you of looking like an unmade bed. It's the passengers that come to dinner in cut-offs and cowboy boots (I kid you not) torn, stained t-shirts (again, not kidding) and refuse to take off their sweaty ball caps, that will be mistaken for unmade beds.

Very well said! There for a second I thought you were talking about Oklahoma! Blue jeans, cowboy boots & hat (never take it off) is considered formal attire! :eek: :p

I have even asked to be moved because of "rude & crude" dining companions! :eek:

If you are disturbed by those around you, well do something about it! :D

I choose to use the word "respect" specifically to point out that respect is a two way street. Those who prefer to dress up are always demanding others to respect their wishes. I simply think they should extend the respect they are demanding to those who have other preferences.

This is not an argument about what the rules are. This is an argument to change the rules. I think the time is nigh when Princess will 'respect' the wishes of the a significant number of their passengers for Formal Optional dining. The lack of enforcement of the dress code is evidence that more and more passengers prefer a new, less formal, code. If HAL has gone to Formal Optional, Princess will not be far behind.

Oh, I know, that will adversely affect the 'ambiance' of formal nights in the MDR. Perhaps, but that is a matter of opinion. Some enjoy the sight of a room full of tuxedos and formal dresses and think that enhances their enjoyment. Others do not.

Bravo -- couldn't have said it better myself!

I, for one, am amazed at how every time there is a dress code post, people chime in just to post their 'eye roll' or 'not another dress code post'. Nobody is asking them to take the time to open it, much less respond. Just pass on by people. No sarcasm required or needed.

I really hate to kick this dead horse, but I really get steamed on formal nights, especially when I see a man in yellow sweat pants at the table next to me on one side and on the other a dude with a grimy baseball cap backwards on his head. I hold Princess personally responsible for letting this happen. Those [post the dress code in the Princess Patter, on their website and on the signs near the dining room doors.

Okay, so if it is too hard for a guy to wear a jacket to dinner, I get it. Then they should not be admitted to the dining room. There are many, other dining venues aboard ship. If the formal attire is too much for some, then Princess should at least dumb down the guidelines to slacks and a collared shirt. But, yes, even that, would be way too hard for some.

Even when I first cruised on NCL as a young woman, in the 90's I remember them offering navy sport coats to gentlemen who showed up with out one.

Yes, packing nicer clothing is bulkier and sometimes a pain, but it is all part of the deal. If you can't afford to pay for your bags, maybe you should just drive to the beach. I think that it is more a lame excuse than a real reason. The sad reality is some of these people just don't give a damn what they look like. Some folks could be dressed in Gucci every day and still look like they just rolled out of bed:confused:

I would imagine that there are a lot of passengers who do not thoroughly research the Princess web site and may not be aware that there are formal nights or have not seen any description of what constitutes formal wear and smart casual wear. Princess might want to put a paper explaining this in each cabin. That would not create any significant amount of work considering all the papers about the spa or shops that they deliver each evening.

Another thought is to post the evening's dress code outside of the MDRs.

If people know what the dress code is before entering the MDR, then they might go change attire or dine elsewhere.

Another possibility would be to designate a specific MDR as formal and one as smart casual.

Personally, I go to the dining room for the food. What others wear is of no real concern to me. I do feel uncomfortable if I am wearing a suit and the menu has some potentially messy foods------but then not everyone is as clumsy as I am.

........ Princess might want to put a paper explaining this in each cabin. .........

I am pretty sure it is mentioned in the Patter that applies to the day of each formal dining evening.

IMO we already get way to much paper (mostly advertising) distributed around the cabins each day.

I am curious how Princess would deal with the concept of having one dining room for formal dress and one for casual. It would certainly prove a point, in a voting manner, of what the public actually prefers. Perhaps those formal nights would have to be open seating to accommodate the "unknown" number of people and their choices. Or, perhaps reservations would need to be made for the formal DR only for those formal nights.

Another alternative would be that Princess NOT offer their special menu on formal nights, instead the usual offerings from standard nights. I am sure there are some who want to go to the dining room on formal night simply because they are offering lobster and filet, etc. These items are not served in the HC. Make the special menu available to ALL passengers on a regular night. Sure, people can always go to the on-board specialty restaurants and pay extra for the rubbery, pre-frozen lobster but why not get it for free in the dining room?

And for you ladies who say you can pack your darling little dresses in carry-on bags, good for you. But do you have a husband that is a "big & tall" whose sport or suit jacket and dress shoes alone take up more than half a suitcase? Even the Regency cruise line has OPTIONAL formal nights and their cruise fare is 3...4 times more expensive than Princess or HAL.

Edited by iceleven

On all my Princess cruises most people dressed up and stayed that way. My first Princess cruise was to Alaska. I had read it was more casual so my dh wore a nice dress shirt with no tie and khakis. That is what I read on here was common for an Alaskan cruise. Boy were we wrong!!!! He was one of a handful that was not dressed up. Most men were wearing sport coats and ties.

We are a small portion of the cruising public. Most people are dressing up more than on the other nights. No need to change anything except maybe some retraining for some people who work in the dining room on some of the ships as the posts above seem to indicate they will seat just about anyone regardless of what they are wearing. I however have not seen this.

But the purists will quote the Princess recommended dress code which does not include even this attire on formal night. And yet, it is quite a popular choice. IMO, jacket and tie is formal business attire, whether dark, medium, or light in color. I agree that the dress is elevated on formal dining nights.

For those that would really like to know the appropriate cruise ship attire, this is a very good article http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2685.

I would highly recommend watching the full episode on TLC. This is the link to the partial episode http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/what-not-to-wear/videos/cruising/

Edited by partybarbie

For those that would really like to know the appropriate cruise ship attire, this is a very good article http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2685.

I would highly recommend watching the full episode on TLC. This is the link to the partial episode http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/what-not-to-wear/videos/cruising/

That is funny!