Need Some Clarification

bigmjh

This is in regards to Princess policy concerning bringing wine onboard at embarkation. I know they will allow one 750ml bottle per adult passenger with no problem. I have read in other posts that you may bring additional bottles and you will be directed to a "table" to pre-pay the corkage fees for the additional bottles. For example, if I were to bring 6 bottles of wine (two adults) would I just pre-pay the corkage on four bottles?

My question - is this SOP throughout Princess or does it vary by ship? by port? or just at the whim of whomever is in charge? Is there anything in writing regarding this? Or is it something that just seemed to happen?

Thanks. :)

You can take as many 750 ml or smaller bottles of wine. The first two for the cabin are without corkage. The rest will result in a $15 corkage fee.

Note that the first two bottles will incur a corkage fee if brought to the MDR. The additional bottles will not incur any additional corkage in the MDR

Be sure to ask your cabin steward for wine glasses to have in your cabin, and an ice bucket if needed.

Our room steward actually has brought us a wine bucket in the past, as the ice bucket isn't big enough to cool the wine. They aren't always available.

I have seen an occasional post where the "table" wasn't there or they weren't directed to stop there. If that happens, as long as you drink your wine in your cabin OR carry a glass of wine to the MDR/buffet, you will be fee free.

If there is no table or nothing was noted on the carry-on scan, you might very well make it on with no problem. If the bags are checked in, they are scanned and if a number of bottles are noted, then the bags are "confiscated" and the ship notified as to what was found. Once on board the ship, the owner then has to go to an office and open the bags. What happens at that point, I do not know, but I would guess that the corkage fee is then charged or the bottles confiscated if it is a prohibited item (hard liquor, beer, whatever). At least that is the way it happens at Seattle.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

Does anyone know what they will do if I bring 4 small bottles (187 ml) each instead of one 750 ml bottle.

I am on a short 4 day cruise and know that I won't be drinking a full bottle myself in just 4 days.

The 4 bottles will total only 748 ml

Good question! If nobody gives you a definitive answer, please come back and let us know what happened. I'd like to know for future reference!

Have a great cruise!

Tom

You can take as many 750 ml or smaller bottles of wine. The first two for the cabin are without corkage. The rest will result in a $15 corkage fee.

Note that the first two bottles will incur a corkage fee if brought to the MDR. The additional bottles will not incur any additional corkage in the MDR

Now you've got me wondering if having the pre-paid All Inclusive Beverage Package will change any of these rules about corkage fees. My husband has this package on our cruise but I don't.

Now you've got me wondering if having the pre-paid All Inclusive Beverage Package will change any of these rules about corkage fees. My husband has this package on our cruise but I don't.

Why would it? The packages have been available for over a year and a half, and it hasn't made any change in bringing wine onboard. Why would being able to pre-pay it make a difference? It's still one bottle per person, regardless of whether anyone has pre-purchased any package.....

I believe that it is spelled out quite clearly in your cruise contract as well ...... but who reads those things anyway - right ???? :p ;)

...VTX-Al

Unfortunately, the Passage Contract has not been updated to specifically state that more than two bottles can be brought on board if corkage is paid on the additional bottles.

With the AIBP your husband will be able to get wines by the glass for himself that cost $10.00 or less and will be about to buy bottles of wine that can be shared costing $100.00 or less at a 40% discount. It doesn't have any impact on wine that you bring on board so the corkage fees are unchanged.

I work check in at San Francisco pier, the wine table is always there. Usually with 3 of the ships bar tenders working it.

In March we cruised out of SF and I took our wine over to the table. They asked our cabin number, wrote something down on a pad, and gave us back our two extra bottles. When we took a bottle to the dining room I handed it to the waiter and she told me she would have to charge for the corkage. I told her that we already had paid for it when we boarded the ship. I looked at the bottle and sure enough, there was no stamp on the bottle. The waiter waived the charge as I was quite convincing at telling her it had already been paid for. When we returned to our cabin I checked the other three bottles, just to check to see if I had mistakenly taken the wrong bottle to the DR. Nope, not any of the bottles were stamped. We didn't want to take another bottle to the dining room on a following evening because if was already uncomfortable having to explain that the corkage had already been paid for. We checked our folio for the remainder of our cruise waiting to see the $30 charge for two bottles but, sure enough, it never showed up.

Somewhere, somehow, the people at the table got distracted or lost their list and we were never charged for the two extra bottles of wine. Had we known that, we would have willingly paid the extra $15 corkage at the table but we didn't want to pay for it twice nor did we want to spend time having to sort it out at the purser's desk. So when you take your bottles to the wine table before check-in, make sure you are either given a receipt or your bottles are stamped.

We truly appreciate the wine policy with Princess and always want to do the right thing and not take advantage of it. People who intentionally attempt to pass this step and sneak their wine/liquor will only cause the rules to become more stringent and/or reduce their already very generous policy. Just my 2 cents.

The $15 corkage fee on Princess is VERY reasonable. Other cruise lines are charging $25 and up for corkage fees. There are a lot of very good wines available for under $20 and with Princess corkage fee that would still be less than $35 ... which is what the onboard prices start at for some pretty poor wines. IMHO I'll bring some wine that I enjoy and gladly pay the corkage.

We've brought wine onto two different P cruises. In SF it was a tedious process and we paid $15 for 10 bottles that were stamped ( 2 were not stamped and were free). In Alaska (Whittier), the process was very smooth and the attendants also charged us for 10 bottles but stamped all twelve. They explained that they didn't want us to have a problem if we grabbed the wrong bottle. We were challenged at the table and did have to show the waiter that our bottle had been stamped. We used our wine in the main dining room and once at Alfredo's.

We live in Sonoma County (Ca wine country) and have so many fine selections that it was worth it to bring our own wine. Also, not having to fly ( leaving from SF ) or flying on Alaska Airlines out of the Sonoma County Airport means there is no cost to ship the wine ( Alaska Airlines out of Sonoma County allows each passenger to ship a case of wine each for free ).

It was a beautiful thing!

We've brought wine onto two different P cruises. In SF it was a tedious process and we paid $15 for 10 bottles that were stamped ( 2 were not stamped and were free). In Alaska (Whittier), the process was very smooth and the attendants also charged us for 10 bottles but stamped all twelve. They explained that they didn't want us to have a problem if we grabbed the wrong bottle. We were challenged at the table and did have to show the waiter that our bottle had been stamped. We used our wine in the main dining room and once at Alfredo's.

We live in Sonoma County (Ca wine country) and have so many fine selections that it was worth it to bring our own wine. Also, not having to fly ( leaving from SF ) or flying on Alaska Airlines out of the Sonoma County Airport means there is no cost to ship the wine ( Alaska Airlines out of Sonoma County allows each passenger to ship a case of wine each for free ).

It was a beautiful thing!

A truly beautiful thing [emoji106]

I cruised twice this year. Each time with 2 bottles of wine.

In Port Everglades boarding Caribbean Princess nothing was said about the wine in my carry on and I went straight on board.

In Vancouver boarding Star Princess I was directed to the table. They looked at my 2 bottles and wrote down my cabin number.

Does this vary by ship? Why did they write my cabin number down when I only had 2 bottles?

TIA

Edited by jeansaussie1

Why did they write my cabin number down when I only had 2 bottles?

TIA

So if you or someone else in your cabin tried to come aboard with more bottles, Princess would know the additional bottles all would need to have the corkage fee paid.