Will I miss the ship?

ds06

I booked air/transfer through Princess months ago. Since then the airline has changed their schedule several times and as of now my flight is arriving at FLL at 2:05. My Princess boarding pass says boarding time is 12:30 to 3:00.

From reading this forum, I became concerned that this wasn't enough time to land, collect bags, find the shuttle and get checked in. I called Princess today and they checked with the airline who said it was a restricted flight and can't be changed. Princess customer service said this connection isn't flagged as illegal and so should be doable. The airport is 10 minutes from the port, and the shuttle stays at the airport until 2:30. She also said if I miss the ship, they would fly me to the next port, which would be 2 days later. I don't like that idea.

Is this timing possible, or should I be looking for buy another flight on my own to make the ship in time? I've asked 2 more experienced people I know and one says it sounds ok but the other says find another flight now.

Thanks for any help!

IMHO I would never fly to a port on the same day to begin with. If the flight is delayed 30 minutes you have to spend 2 days waiting to catch up with the ship. There has been so many close calls with people on CC so I always go at least 1 day in advance so its not so rushed.

Since you booked the flight through Princess, the odds of them holding the ship if you're delayed are pretty high. That's the deal with excursions booked through the cruise line, as well. They hold the ship if they need to.

That said, I never fly in the day of the cruise. I always arrive at least a day early so there's time to deal with flight cancellations and delays.

If you booked air with Princess, they will transfer you between the airport and ship, so they should be aware of your situation. Did you book direct with Princess or a TA? I would contact Princess or my TA, whichever applies, and get their feedback.

Chances are there will be other ship passengers on your flight. Another strategy is to pay for custom air and have them book something for you the day before embarkation.

Roz

Edited by Roz

I wouldn't do it. Assume your suitcase is the last one on the carousel. You have to wait and wait and then run to the Princess shuttle which is hopefully right outside your airline. Maybe you have to frantically send your SO to run and flag them down while you watch for the checked luggage, keeping an eye on the carry-ons and try to keep them all together. Then you have to get to and load the luggage onto the bus.

What?! You were sitting at the back of the plane and 100 other people had to slowly get their carry ons down and get off the plane. Yikes :eek: . What if your flight is even 10 small minutes late? Way too much stress for me.

Yes, the port is only 10 minutes away but you still have to get there, unload, check in and get on the ship. Cruise ships can't always wait. There is a time given them to leave. While they can try nothing guarantees they will just because you bought cruise air.

I booked air/transfer through Princess months ago. Since then the airline has changed their schedule several times and as of now my flight is arriving at FLL at 2:05. My Princess boarding pass says boarding time is 12:30 to 3:00.

From reading this forum, I became concerned that this wasn't enough time to land, collect bags, find the shuttle and get checked in. I called Princess today and they checked with the airline who said it was a restricted flight and can't be changed. Princess customer service said this connection isn't flagged as illegal and so should be doable. The airport is 10 minutes from the port, and the shuttle stays at the airport until 2:30. She also said if I miss the ship, they would fly me to the next port, which would be 2 days later. I don't like that idea.

Is this timing possible, or should I be looking for buy another flight on my own to make the ship in time? I've asked 2 more experienced people I know and one says it sounds ok but the other says find another flight now.

Thanks for any help!

FLY YOU TO YOUR NEXT PORT!!???:eek: I would call another Princess Rep!

We just flew in and out of FLL last week - efficient airport although

Your luggage will probably not even be on the turnstiles to pick up until 2:30

Traffic through FLL at that time of day is very congested and there is still major construction on the surface streets to the port.

Even if your flight is on-time departing and landing, you will not make the last shuttle AT 2:30

What time of year and where are you travelling from? Please consider weather delays.

I am famous for booking flights, landing the day of, but as the above have posted - this is just way too risky unless they promise to hold the ship.

If you booked air with Princess, they will transfer you between the airport and ship, so they should be aware of your situation. Did you book direct with Princess or a TA? I would contact Princess or my TA, whichever applies, and get their feedback.

Roz

They will only transfer you if you paid for it. Just because you bought their air doesn't mean you paid for their transfers. I have used their air and didn't book their transfer. They are two completely different transactions. In this situation it sounds like the OP did but they are not a twofer deal. You can also buy the transfer even if you don't buy their air.

The OP already contacted Princess and they told them that the shuttle stays until 2:30. The flight arrives at 2:05. That leaves only 25 minutes to get off the plane, get their luggage and find and be on the bus. I hope all their stars are aligned.

Edited by notentirelynormal

If I were the OP, I would book a flight that arrives the day before. Unless we're leaving from the Port of LA/San Pedro, which is an hour's drive for us that we always start in the morning, we're scheduling our transportation to get us there at least the day before. More relaxing for us, we can get in a trip to a store for wine, etc., and even have a nice dinner near our hotel.

A couple of cruises ago, there was a plane coming from Heathrow with many passengers scheduled to be on our cruise. But that week, there was a snowstorm in England and a week straight of record rainfall here in Los Angeles. The captain held the ship for four and a half hours and finally made the call to depart without 200 passengers.

During the cruise whenever we met anyone with a British accent, we asked about their flight arrangements. All of them came to the US days before (one couple changed their flight to one out of Paris when it looked like the weather would be bad).

To me, missing even one day of a cruise would be horrible. And having to fly to the next port can be problematic -- what if there's sea days in between.

There are so many ways a flight can be delayed.

I booked air/transfer through Princess months ago. Since then the airline has changed their schedule several times and as of now my flight is arriving at FLL at 2:05. My Princess boarding pass says boarding time is 12:30 to 3:00.p!

you need another rep working for you. Since the airlines keeps changing the schedule they have to give you a comparable flight to what you first had-

this should allow you to even book the day before.

The ship will be held for you within reason-- they will not wait hours until you arrive.

this is too close for me. the stress just is not worth it

OK, take a deep breath and try to relax as much as possible.

One service offered by Princess is "Princess Luggage Valet" where your luggage is picked up at your home, sent via FedEx and delivered directly to your stateroom. If you use that service all you would need to do is get off the plane with your carry-ons and go directly to the transfer vehicle, bypassing baggage claim altogether. You will avoid any airline baggage charges as well and won't need to lug your luggage at your departure airport.

Call Princess at the special number for Luggage Valet which is 1-800-399-7350 for details of charges and requirements. The luggage will be picked up a week or more before the sailing date from a domestic port. There are weight and size limits, but the limits are far better than airline limits.

Yes, your arrangements are very tight, but if Princess says boarding time is between 12:30 and 3:00pm, the ship will probably be leaving Port Everglades at around 4:00pm or even later, so with the Valet service your chances are quite good you'll make the ship.

BTW, I would be very uncomfortable with the tight connection time myself but because Princess is handling everything for you, and because they have done this sort of thing many times before, I am far less worried.

Your first cruise experience is like anything else; very new and nothing like anything you have ever done before. You sure don't need the tension of being on time messing up the otherwise very pleasant experience.

Good luck.

Unless you are seated very near the door, it is likely to be 2:20 or later before you get off the plane. It will be 2:30 or later before you get to the baggage carousel. It will be about 2:40 before you will be able to board Princess transfer to the ship.

If everything goes right, and if you get confirmation from Princess about the transfer to the ship (including assurance that they will fly you to the next port if anything goes wrong) then you should be okay.

Of course, you will not be able to wait any time at all for delayed baggage - so make sure you have enough to live on in your carry on.

I am booked with Princess as well. I considered adding the air since they guarantee to hold the ship. It’s spelled out in black and white on their website. However after reading this I may just go a day ahead. On our previous cruise we flew in 2 days ahead, to be honest it was a challenge to keep to excited kids entertained it felt like the longest 2 days of my life. By the time we boarded I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep. I would call Princess and see if you can get a refund and then book your own flight a day ahead.

Thank you for the useful advice, I'll consider it all to decide what to do next.

I never would have known this was a problem if I hadn't read it here. I assumed that because I booked cruise/flight/transfers through Princess AND purchased protection that everything was scheduled ok. I also didn't realize that although the departure time was 4:00, you had to be there a lot sooner. I'll know better next time!

Edited by ds06

Thank you for the useful advice, I'll consider it all to decide what to do next.

I never would have known this was a problem if I hadn't read it here. I assumed that because I booked cruise/flight/transfers through Princess AND purchased protection that everything was scheduled ok. I also didn't realize that although the departure time was 4:00, you had to be there a lot sooner. I'll know better next time!

If you do decide to use this flight and if you don't use the Luggage Valet service, then I'd strongly recommend that you take only carryon luggage so that you can go straight out to the shuttle bus.

We nave fly the day of the cruise.

Too many things can go wrong, even some that are out of your control and the airlines.

What?

Weather

Aircraft Computer Glitches

Airline Computer Glitches

FAA Computer Glitches

Flight Delays/Cancellations

Insufficient Flight Personnel

Security Breach on Aircraft, Airport or Part or Entire System

And the list goes on and on and on.

I would try to fly in the day before but if this is not possible I would call the airline to say this new schedule will not work.

You must be on board 90 minutes before sailing and again do not cut this down to the wire.

Keith

One good thing you have going for you is that you booked your air though Princess, so although you do have to be on board 90 minutes prior to sail away, perhaps you'll have some leeway? I don't know if Princess has any say in that or if it's all set by customs who clears the ship.

First thing I would do is take a deep breath and call Princess. Explain to them that the time of the flight has changed and you are no longer comfortable with the time of your flight. I understand that they will fly you to the next port of call, but who actually wants to do that? No one! People book cruises because they want to be on the cruise! If the airline made the change possibly they can put you on a different flight. If you had booked independently and the airline had changed the flight and it no longer worked for you, generally they let you change it free of charge.

OP-good luck to you and let us know how it works out for you!

Thanks for any help!

IF EVERYTHING is working as it was designed, then you will probably make it. However, this is another reason I will not use cruise air.

First of all, I fly in the day before. Second, by booking my own flights I know what kind of a ticket I am getting. As you can see, you are stuck between a rock (the airlines changing their flight schedule) and a hard place (Princess claiming the flight as booked is okay).

You will probably be fine. But any delays and you are going to miss a good portion of your cruise.

Flying in the day before requires an overnight stay. I can bargain hunt and come up with better pricing and much better flights than the cruise line's three sizes fits all scheduling.

Which would you rather do, pay for an overnight stay or spending the entire day wondering if you are going to make it to the cruise ship on time.

I've had airlines change flight schedules on me. If it is an outbound flight, it is no big deal since I am arriving the day before. If it is a return flight, I simply call the airline and explain that the new flight is not workable, I need a new routing, and I have obtained new routing.

Best of luck to you, I hope you make it.

I would also recommend that you post your question on the cruise air board and on the Princess board. You are likely to find the people that respond are a little more knowledgeable to the specific issues you have (cruise air issues and Princess policy).

Edited by Cuizer2

I am booked with Princess as well. I considered adding the air since they guarantee to hold the ship. It’s spelled out in black and white on their website.
Could you please provide a reference that says "they guarantee to hold the ship"? I would HIGHLY doubt that.

Let me just provide a hypothetical. Two people are coming in on a flight that has a mechanical. They won't be able to arrive until the next morning. Would they "hold the ship" overnight? I don't think so. Now change it to six hours late - would they? Hold 2000+ people at the pier waiting for two? Does this at all seem reasonable and logical?

I never would have known this was a problem if I hadn't read it here. I assumed that because I booked cruise/flight/transfers through Princess AND purchased protection that everything was scheduled ok.

And what do you think is "Protection" really is? It is nothing more than a form of insurance, underwritten by the cruiseline itself. First off, cruiselines usually provide a poorer insurance product than what you can purchase on your own in the open marketplace. More limitations, less coverage and tons of exclusions. And secondly, insurance will NOT get you to your cruise. Insurance is designed to protect against FINANCIAL losses, not to ensure so kind of performance (like getting you to a ship or holding a ship). Further, it will only cover actual loss - there is no compensation for the enjoyment you didn't get from missing a day or two of your vacation.

Sorry to be blunt, but you need to read the fine print, read the words of the terms and conditions and don't be seduced by marketing verbage that isn't backed up in the fine print.

I am booked with Princess as well. I considered adding the air since they guarantee to hold the ship. It’s spelled out in black and white on their website. However after reading this I may just go a day ahead. On our previous cruise we flew in 2 days ahead, to be honest it was a challenge to keep to excited kids entertained it felt like the longest 2 days of my life. By the time we boarded I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep. I would call Princess and see if you can get a refund and then book your own flight a day ahead.

"...guarantee to hold the ship..." -- are you kidding?

They do not hold the ship for any length of time, even if the cruise line handled the flights. They may hold it for 15 minutes or so, but no way will they hold for much longer than that for many reasons. The biggest reason is that if they did hold it for long, they'd have to make up the time by speeding and we all know speeding uses up a lot of fuel, which costs a lot of money.

I've been on cruises where flights were late and the ship did not wait, and they made arrangements for the passengers to meet the ship at the first port of call. The real plus for using cruise line flights is that they will help you get to that first port and will even get hotels for the night, while others who miss the ship and didn't use the cruise line's flights will be left on their own to get to the ship and will have to find their own hotels.

Seeing the OP has to be on board 90 minutes before the ship departs, I just don't see any way they'll make it on time.

They do not hold the ship for any length of time, even if the cruise line handled the flights. They may hold it for 15 minutes or so, but no way will they hold for much longer than that for many reasons. The biggest reason is that if they did hold it for long, they'd have to make up the time by speeding and we all know speeding uses up a lot of fuel, which costs a lot of money.

Not to mention the cost of the speeding ticket and the increase in the cost of the captain's liability insurance.