Flying and bringing your soda and wine?

CaliCruiser2.0

Help! How do I do this? We are flying into our port and taking a shuttle to the ship. How does everyone bring their wine and 12 pack of soda? Check it on the flight, then carry it on to the ship? Find some way to buy it on location?

:confused:

I just buy it on the ship. Much easier.

If you have time, you can go to the store on your own if you are driving to the port. Some private cars will stop for you. Again if there's time. We always fly in at least one day before and get sodas that night. Flying in the same day, buy it onboard if you can't arrange a stop on your way to the ship.

Once we had nice Taxi driver to stopped for us before we got to the Port.

also, once we checked in, got on the ship. our cabins were ready at 1pm, we dropped off carry on bags. Got off the ship, a taxi took us to a close market near the port. It really depends on how close the supermarket is.

In San Juan - we walked to CVS

In Fort Lauderdale - taxi took us to Winn Dixie

In Miami - I think it was Walgreens or CVS before we got on the ship

In Orlando -Port Canaveral - A taxi took us to a local store, unsure of name.

In California -Long Beach - we brought everything on the ship, airport was about 35 minutes away from Terminal, with all that traffic, we were afraid to stop. LOL..

Happy Sailing....

Our port is Long Beach and I have discovered there isn't much around. That's why I'm thinking I have to check it in luggage. We did get our shuttle from GoSedan. So a private car, I have emailed them to see if they will stop somewhere for us prior to dropping us off at the ship.

Our port is Long Beach and I have discovered there isn't much around. That's why I'm thinking I have to check it in luggage. We did get our shuttle from GoSedan. So a private car, I have emailed them to see if they will stop somewhere for us prior to dropping us off at the ship.

Hopefully they will be willing to stop. There is no way I would pack sodas when flying. They could explode in your luggage plus they weigh down the suitcase. I would order from the ship first.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

If you check your wine in your luggage all you need is your soda. It's $1.00 per can in the airport vending machines. Since they just revised the purchase in port restrictions you are able to bring additional onboard. Enjoy your cruise!

if you do this, remember to take it out and put it in your carry on before boarding or you could lose it.

Good question. Having done many cruises all over the world we have some knowledge of where to buy booze/soda in various embarkation ports throughout the world. For example, if cruising out of Venice there is a COOP market near the Piazale Roma. In Civitavecchia there is a Carefour Express within walking distance of the port entrance. Or in Ft Lauderdale, if staying in the 17th street area there is a Total Wines within walking distance....etc etc.

Hank

Help! How do I do this? We are flying into our port and taking a shuttle to the ship. How does everyone bring their wine and 12 pack of soda? Check it on the flight, then carry it on to the ship? Find some way to buy it on location?

You didn't say which cruise line you were on. Carnival just revised their policy and you can pick up a 12 pack at your first port of call. Otherwise like the other posters said have your cabbie or shuttle driver stop at the closest CVS/Walgreens/Walmart on the way to the ship

If you check your wine in your luggage all you need is your soda. It's $1.00 per can in the airport vending machines. Since they just revised the purchase in port restrictions you are able to bring additional onboard. Enjoy your cruise!

Most cruise lines no longer allow wine in checked luggage. They require that allowable wine (which many cruise lines now limit to one bottle per person) be in your carry-on luggage. If these cruise lines detect wine in your luggage (which is usually spotted when they X-ray all luggage) they will generally hold your luggage until such time as you come to the "bad luggage" area to claim your stuff. Whether they allow you to keep the wine varies by cruise line. My advice is to check the policy for your specific cruise line.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have never brought sodas on board, but if you are traveling in the day before it would be easy to stop at a convenience store and buy it.

If you are doing all your traveling the day of the cruise, is there any way you can get a private taxi instead of the shuttle? If you are on a shared shuttle I can't imagine they would be wiling to stop if there are others on the bus, others will likely be anxious to get to the ship and wouldn't want to waste time stopping.

We always fly in the night before and purchase them from a store. There are several stores on the way to the Port of Long Beach that should be pretty easy to stop at.

This. Besides the idea of avoiding a same day flight (even within California), getting in to your embarkation city at least a day ahead, you'll be able to make a trip to a local grocery store (Vons, Ralphs, Walmart, etc.) and buy soda and even a bottle of wine if you're allowed to bring that onboard. Not sure which of those are in Long Beach (Local Yahoo will help), but I think there's a Walmart and there should be grocery stores. You can ask the concierge at your hotel for that info too (maybe the hotel has a free local shuttle). The waterfront area of Long Beach (where the better hotels are...some of LB is very industrialized) has a free shuttle that goes between many of the sites such as the Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village, and possibly some regular stores.

We've never brought sodas onboard...but we only drink maybe 2 cans between the 2 of us on a weeklong cruise.....

If flying, unless you have a rental car, it's too much trouble!

This. I just work it into the cruise budget. At one point I was extremely brand loyal to Diet Pepsi, I see how miserable people seem haulIng a 12 pack through embarkation.

Now if I'm on Carnival I order water and a 6 pack of Diet Coke through Bon Voyage. Yes it's more than bringing my own, but it's in the cabin when I get there. If it's not a Cheers cruise I get a wine package. It's one less thing to worry about.

This is what we have done....Bought "Wine Diapers" aka. "Jet Bags" on Amazon (google them their amazing). Then when we landed got them out of our checked luggage and put them in our carryon...worked out very easy for us.

Edited by Ashland

My guess is that given the airline costs for luggage that most people would get the items after they land.

Keith

We bought water in Ft Lauderdale. I actually did pack 2 in my checked suitcase last year. Lots of bubble wrap, then a towel around each and into a box with more bubble wrap, all packed between clothes. That weighed 8 lbs. HUGE risk of them breaking but I don't drink wine from the store, in fact rarely so I took a chance on bringing our homemade wine.