Self Disembarkation - Why doesn't everyone do it?

FredZiffle

Excellent!

We will do valet but keep one bag back and do self-disembark. We can do both right?

Right!

There would be no need for getting a number assigned and sitting around in a lounge waiting for your number to be called if no luggage will be coming out for you to pick up when they call that number.

I find it easier dealing with just a carry on and maybe a tote bag than having a large case to wheel around. It also means I can use the stairs rather than lifts. Besides, imagine what chaos it would be around the ship if everyone did it.

Phil

I agree with you on that one. The elevators will be so busy and when you're walking off with just your carry-on luggage, you can take the stairs - much better. Have never had a problem - now, if it was a short cruise and we only had one suitcase, then we'd probably do that. If we're not in a hurry, we like to just wait on board until our group is called.

So, do you HAVE to get off early if you have self-disembarkation?

If so, that really IS different from some other lines I've sailed with....

No, you don't, DH & I are often the last off the ship, it's so nice leaving when all the crowds are gone. :)

After having a piece of luggage go missing after a Celebrity Hawaii cruise (1.5 hours searching, missed the limo that the hotel sent for us, didn't get luggage to hotel till next day) I'll never put out my bags the night before again, unless I was flying home that day, which we've never done.

We do pack light enough to handle all the stairs at the train stations in Europe.

<my snip>

It's always fun to watch the overhead bin wars once we board the airplane. It's all part of the need for instant gratification that seems to be an unfortunate part of our culture.

I think that bad manners & self centeredness happen to a certain degree everywhere nowadays, however; we've always flown our long hauls in a cabin that has plenty of bin space dedicated to people in that cabin, however, the complete lack of logic & common sense of people at the baggage carousel has turned me off from checking luggage unless we have to, & on the shorter flights in Europe, we have had to check our carry on bags due to bin restrictions & no true cabin classes.

I do agree that if everyone, or even a majority carried off, it would be a disaster. Don't think anyone should attempt it unless they truly can handle their bags without imposing on others... same at train stations, metros, etc.

While rolling down may not be bad, at some ports it has been necessary to first roll suitcases uphill when disembarking.

Unless absolutely necessary, such as needing to be first off to catch an early flight, I see no advantage to lugging suitcases off the ship myself when the cruise line provides the service to do it for me, free of charge.

It is the same way that most passengers also give their large bags to the porters at embarkation and let the ship deliver them to their staterooms for them.

Although there are some passengers who insist on carrying everything on board themselves as well.

Actually surprised that there is only the single above post mentioning self-embarkation . We have self-disembarked multiple times but haven't brought on our own bags yet!;)

One point , out of the 5 cruises where we did not disembark , they misplaced our bags twice , a 40% failure rate ! :mad: One time the bag was quickly found but the other time we had to endure a very stressful 40 minutes or so. Very very stressful !

Actually surprised that there is only the single above post mentioning self-embarkation . We have self-disembarked multiple times but haven't brought on our own bags yet!;)

One point , out of the 5 cruises where we did not disembark , they misplaced our bags twice , a 40% failure rate ! :mad: One time the bag was quickly found but the other time we had to endure a very stressful 40 minutes or so. Very very stressful !

As far as I'm aware (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) self-embarkation is only allowed when one has carry-on bags that can fit through the check in scanners. In this case, you are allowed. However, anyone travelling with a full-size suitcase (such as those you could not bring on an airplane) it must be left with the porters so luggage can be security-scanned.

If you can carry it on an airplane; you can carry it on the ship.

As far as I'm aware (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) self-embarkation is only allowed when one has carry-on bags that can fit through the check in scanners. In this case, you are allowed. However, anyone travelling with a full-size suitcase (such as those you could not bring on an airplane) it must be left with the porters so luggage can be security-scanned.

That's the way I understand it too.

We live in FL so don't have any hassle getting flights home after our cruise.

Don't mind assigned disembarkation times at all. Tried disembarking by ourselves once and it really was a pain dragging our own luggage off the ship.

It always amazes me that many cruisers want to be first ones on the ship to start enjoying their cruise and sometimes wait patiently hours before they can board. However, they go through the stress rushing to disembark so they can catch early flights.

I think it would be much less stressful to make flights later if at all possible and enjoy a nice lunch near the airport while reminiscing about your cruise.

I agree (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!);) that the limiting factor is the scanning machines size capacity . Watching it scan luggage , it appears mid-size bags would fit through . Regardless , many do cruise with carry-on size luggage and should therefore be able to self-embark . Edited by richstowe

Don't mind assigned disembarkation times at all. Tried disembarking by ourselves once and it really was a pain dragging our own luggage off the ship.

It always amazes me that many cruisers want to be first ones on the ship to start enjoying their cruise and sometimes wait patiently hours before they can board. However, they go through the stress rushing to disembark so they can catch early flights.

I think it would be much less stressful to make flights later if at all possible and enjoy a nice lunch near the airport while reminiscing about your cruise.

I couldn't agree more. The last thing I'd want after a nice relaxing cruise is to be stressed out wondering if I'm going to make that morning flight. We usually book late afternoon flights home, and often stay for a night and fly out the next day.

Barbara-

I agree with you about not scheduling early flights although I can sympathize with cruisers who may not have much choice about scheduling an early flight. I recall being in that situation once, and, you're right, it was not a lot of fun. We're on a 12:30 flight after our Equinox sailing, so we have plenty of time, but that won't keep us from choosing self-disembarkation. That's less stressful to me knowing that I won't have to hunt for my luggage at the port (and god forbid, it's not where it's supposed to be). Also, I've always wondered how returning cruisers answer the question at the airport when they're asked if they packed their own bag, and has it been under your control since? "Yes, I packed my own bag, but then it sat unattended outside my cabin for several hours and also at the port."

We'll find a comfortable seat somewhere on board after we vacate our cabin, read for an hour or so, and then follow one of the last groups off the ship.

Yes, we "self embarked" last time, however it was by accident :)

Got off the port shuttle bus in Civ, we were walking to the tent, got in line (first time we saw a line there) filling out the health form, & then looked at each other, each with our backpacks & little roller bags, & realized we hadn't dropped off our bags... at this point getting out of line would have disrupted everyone, so our bags just went thru the scanners, once on board we just asked the steward if it was ok to leave the bags on the sofa, ( it was so early that they hadn't shut the hall doors yet) it was no problem & in 5 minutes we were back down for our mimosas :) Would I do it again? It would depend.... It was nice that as soon as the cabins were officially available I was unpacked so quickly, & we didn't have to do the "let's go back to the cabin & see if the bags are there yet" thing 5 times like we usually do lol... another nice aspect was that I was able to send out our dirty clothes from the day before immediately, instead of waiting till the next day... so yes, it's possible to do, but probably would not work for most people.

• 2 weeks later...

Self disembarking can be a blessing for those capable of handling their luggage. But DW and I saw first hand what can happen when there is a deck change for disembarking.

Word came down that the plans had changed and instead of leaving the ship from deck 3, we would leave from deck 4. It caused a mad house as people rushed to the stairwells. Worse, there were many passengers who might have been capable of handling bags under normal circumstances but who really could not lift or drag them up a flight of stairs.

Believe me, it was not only an ugly situation, it was a very dangerous one, too. Had someone lost control, serious injuries could have occurred . It taught us a lesson and now we tend to leave a bit later and have the baggage taken off for us unless we are really under pressure to catch a flight..

FWIW, there were quite a few ships that arrived late into Port Miami and Port Everglades yesterday. It's counterintuitive, I know because we on land gained an hour. But there were a lot people who missed flights that left before 10AM. I heard it on the radio news yesterday morning. There were several ships that docked at 7:00 AM or later. Until the ships cleared, passengers weren't off and through immigration and customs until around 8:30.

• 3 weeks later...
We've never had any desire to self disembark, but I'm curious about your comment. I've never seen any restrictions based on nationality and I don't understand why there would be.

Just off the Summit yesterday and it was clearly indicated that only US citizens could utilize the self disembarkation. Don't know the reasoning behind it but it was on several of the handouts we received.

snow bunny

We have never done the self-disembarkation but we will definitely do it on our upcoming cruise. Last year when we got off the Reflection in Miami one of our suitcases was nowhere to be found. The staff were as helpful as could be in trying to help us to locate it but here we are nearly a year later and that suitcase has never resurfaced. All Celebrity pays is $300.00 which is about the value of the case itself, forget the contents. I went to file a claim on our travel insurance and they wanted receipts for everything. Seriously, who keeps receipts for every stitch of clothes and shoes that they buy. It was an expensive lesson and i will hold onto my luggage from now on.

Just off the Summit yesterday and it was clearly indicated that only US citizens could utilize the self disembarkation. Don't know the reasoning behind it but it was on several of the handouts we received.

snow bunny

We are Canadian citizens and carried our own luggage off Constellation last Thursday. We had no trouble at all, got an elevator easily and had no line to disembark. We had to go to Customer Service and when we got there saw a line of people waiting before disembarkation started. We went to breakfast and half an hour later (7:30) the line had gone. We never pack more than we can comfortably carry ourselves. Our last trip was a 27 day B2B and we spent two weeks in UK before the cruise. We had a 23" suitcase and a carry on bag each.

After our first few cruises, we started using self-disembarkation for several reasons:

- No wasting time the night before having to pack. There are still lots of activities going on, and we like to enjoy our last night on board. The ship is dead the next morning, so I don't mind spending the time packing in my cabin.

- No worries that we'll accidentally pack some necessity we'll need the next morning.

- No worries about our suitcases sitting out unprotected in the hall.

- No worries about our suitcases walking off from the pier before we manage to disembark.

- No wasting time trying to locate our suitcases at the pier.

- Freedom to walk off whenever instead of being assigned a disembarkation group time which may be earlier or later than we'd prefer. I realize one can get around this assigned time, but I don't even have to think about it. Just so we're off by the time the cabin steward needs to start on our cabin.

The only negative I can think of is having to roll our own suitcases down the gangplank. To me, that's less of a hassle than rolling it through the airport.

So, what am I missing? Why do the vast majority of cruise passengers go with regular disembarkation?

You answered your own question:

The only negative I can think of is having to roll our own suitcases down the gangplank. To me, that's less of a hassle than rolling it through the airport.

We have done self disembarkation on NCL and with two 50 lbs suitcases, carryons plus DW's purse and my briefcase, just finding an empty elevation can be a problem.

While I am 67, I work out and can still handle the suitcases, but don't find the whole arrangement of having to wait a short time to disembark then spend a couple of minutes finding our suitcase to be a hassle.

How many people lose their suitcases under this process anyway?

Our thoughts exactly. We are happy being one of the last to leave the ship.

I am glad self debark is the choice for some, for us, thanks but no thanks.

Please don't be one of those people that holds up the next 2000 + people who are excitedly waiting to board. As you know Nobody gets on until Everybody gets Off!

Edited by jimdalva

Some of his could quite easily be that we were getting off in San Juan. Not sure what would happen if you were not a US citizen and tried to self disembark at this port. Personally don't want to find out!

snow bunny

On Adventure a few years ago I wanted to self disembark with my US friends in San Juan. There'd been misinformation and when I presented myself was given short shrift and sent back up. Something about having the relevant trained immigration officials at that early hour I believe.

Is there a time of end for the people use the self disembarkation?

I don' t have problem of time to get off early because my flight is the day after..so I would stay on the ship as longer as possible..

I prefer take my luggage with myself for convenience and beacuase I think to get off after the calling of deck 8 or 9...But If the time of self desembarkation is before than deck 8 or 9 where is the advantage?:confused::confused: