Gala night dress

cruz chic

Disembarked the Statendam on October 22nd and I also found that there were many of us who were well dressed on Gala Nights. There were, maybe, a few more gentlemen wearing a coat with open neck shirt.

There were some who were dressed Smart Casual, but they did not dine in the MDR during 2nd Seating as far as I could see. My impression is, for this cruise, many chose to dine in the Lido Restaurant.

My lady friend and I were on the Eurodam the week before last and I saw no difference since the name change from Formal Night to Gala Night. The majority of folks still treat as a special night and dress accordingly.

Edited by Padraic

CC

This is a little late, but welcome back!

How was the cruise?

Not late at all. I'm still in transit in Montreal. It's been a long day already. The cruise was so so. Quite a few issues. My cruise in 2013 on the eurodam was one of my best. This was a stark contrast.

Not late at all. I'm still in transit in Montreal. It's been a long day already. The cruise was so so. Quite a few issues. My cruise in 2013 on the eurodam was one of my best. This was a stark contrast.

Oh, oh!

Sorry to hear that. I hope you will be posting about this. You do a great review of "issues". We could use some interesting commentary around here!

Hope you get home smoothly and quickly!

Montreal??? Are you headed home or off to another destination?

Montreal??? Are you headed home or off to another destination?

Unfortunately my longer flight is ahead of me. Just shy of 5 hours more to Calgary. I paid a pretty penny to upgrade to plus on westjet but it's worth it for the pain of these flights. Did Dallas on the way down. So much nicer.

Unfortunately my longer flight is ahead of me. Just shy of 5 hours more to Calgary. I paid a pretty penny to upgrade to plus on westjet but it's worth it for the pain of these flights. Did Dallas on the way down. So much nicer.

I guess I won't complain anymore about never getting a WestJet direct flight home and having to go through Toronto! :eek:

We were on the Atlantic Coast Cruise on Eurodam and Debarked a couple of weeks ago.

We found the same thing that mostly everyone was dressed very nice on Gala Nights and didn't notice any difference. There were a small percentage of Tuxes but mostly Suits and Ties. Some had no ties but wore Dress Shirts and Jackets. The Ladies were also dressed very nicely!

We have Main (Late) Seating and did not notice anyone not wearing a Jacket and we were by the Rail and could look down on As You Wish and it seemed the same there.

Edited by idiebabe

We were on the Atlantic Coast Cruise on Eurodam and Debarked a couple of weeks ago.

We found the same thing that mostly everyone was dressed very nice on Gala Nights and didn't notice any difference. There were a small percentage of Tuxes but mostly Suits and Ties. Some had no ties but wore Dress Shirts and Jackets. The Ladies were also dressed very nicely!

We have Main (Late) Seating and did not notice anyone not wearing a Jacket and we were by the Rail and could look down on As You Wish and it seemed the same there.

I have been encouraged by all the reports since the renaming and relaxing of rules for formal night, both by posts here and the blogs that I've read. All have reported that it is business as usual, with everyone dressed appropriately for "gala" night. Your post is another confirmation of this. For the most part, people do enjoy dressing up, and they have options if they choose not to.

My feeling too. I suspect that it will take a while before we start to see any decline in dress levels.

I do object to the term "decline". Change, yes, but - let's face it - the women went away from "formal" years ago, the men are just catching up.

I was wondering how gala night attire was going to change now that Hal dumbed down the dress code. I got off the eurodam on November 1 and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Most folks were very nicely dressed.

Yep, that's been my experience on Amsterdam, also; no substantial change

Cruz Chic: Although we have never cruised together, I value your opinion and perspective. As fellow solo travelers, I feel that we may share many of the same concerns and experiences. You have been an inspiration to me; please keep posting reviews.