Interesting Liquor Drink Tip - Is it Valid Though?

johnjen

Probably one of the more interesting pieces of advice I've seen - when the ship is tied to the pier, avoid buying those fancy drinks soon as you board because they are subject to state and local taxes. Once the ship's lines are undone and the ship is underway, these taxes are no longer in effect.

Is this true, or false?

Probably one of the more interesting pieces of advice I've seen - when the ship is tied to the pier, avoid buying those fancy drinks soon as you board because they are subject to state and local taxes. Once the ship's lines are undone and the ship is underway, these taxes are no longer in effect.

Is this true, or false?

They charge in Port CANAVERAL

Is this true, or false?

Its not just until the ship is underway, it is until the ship has left the 12 mile limit. Generally, the bridge will call the purser's office when the limit is reached, and the POS machines are reprogrammed to stop charging the tax.

There is no tax added for drinks purchased using a package when in port.

If I spent big $$$ for the cruise, paying tax on a few drinks won't break me.:cool:

Pretty much what I was thinking. Spend big bucks on the trip and then deny myself a sail away drink for a dollar or two? I don't think so.

Its not just until the ship is underway, it is until the ship has left the 12 mile limit. Generally, the bridge will call the purser's office when the limit is reached, and the POS machines are reprogrammed to stop charging the tax.

There is no tax added for drinks purchased using a package when in port.

Thanks so much....I will remember this.

Come to think of it though, a drink package might not be such a bad idea....

Is this true, or false?

I'm not going to let a few cents stand between me and having a good time. So what if there are extra taxes for a couple of hours? Even NYC booze taxes aren't going to add up to any meaningful amount when compared with my S&S total.

I'm not going to let a few cents stand between me and having a good time. So what if there are extra taxes for a couple of hours? Even NYC booze taxes aren't going to add up to any meaningful amount when compared with my S&S total.

The charge can be higher though if you buy a drink package after you board but before you sail. We usually buy drink packages once we board so we can use our OBC. We make sure we go to a table that is set up on the Royal promenade or outside the WJ that has to write up the slips by hand. Those charges aren't entered until later, so you get no tax. If it is done at a bar register, you will get taxed.

I agree... I am not going to let a dollar affect wether I get a drink or not..

However, you bring up an interesting point about buying a package when you first get on board.... for example the drink package or the internet package ( things of high dollar value) 8% tax of a 450 dollar drink package would be pretty high... ( not sure that would deter me.. since two drinks would almost cover what the tax would be)

but.... that is an interesting point

Hey, you have your thing and I have mine...my way might sound cheap, but guess what, money is in the bank and there's no debt whatsoever because of my M.O. when it comes to being thrifty (AND having a great time).

Hey, you have your thing and I have mine...my way might sound cheap, but guess what, money is in the bank and there's no debt whatsoever because of my M.O. when it comes to being thrifty (AND having a great time).

How sad to be hung up over 36 cents. Penny saved is a penny earned was a quote from when a penny meant someting

1446670932950.jpg.aa6622f837dc7e8d814d1edd138c37c5.jpg

Typically true in US ports.

I found RCCL jumped on that in port drink sales tax very quickly. When I lived in FL I definitely remember when it started. Then a couple months later I sailed Princess, no FL sales tax. At the time I assumed it was another way RCCL was collecting extra revenue. Having said that, the other lines are all adding the tax now as far as I know. On my last Princess cruise they were onboard with the tax as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The charge can be higher though if you buy a drink package after you board but before you sail. We usually buy drink packages once we board so we can use our OBC. We make sure we go to a table that is set up on the Royal promenade or outside the WJ that has to write up the slips by hand. Those charges aren't entered until later, so you get no tax. If it is done at a bar register, you will get taxed.

Thanks for the tip. We had planned to use our OBC (which we have a good amount of) to pay for some of our drink package- which is why we planned on waiting until we were onboard. However, if they charge 8% on top of package for 2, a 12 night premium package is now 111.00 more. 😳. That's not pennies. Is there a way to make sure you aren't paying tax outside of windjammer? Since you have done this before Have they normally told you what the total is before you purchase? If not I will just wait until we are in international waters to buy.