Many missed NCL Sun sailing today

DAllenTCY

Not everyone has the option to fly in the day before due to work or family commitments. In all my cruises out of Miami I have flown in on the early morning non-stop flight from St Louis. Never once had an issue.

I'm also one who has never bought the insurance. For as many times as I have traveled and cruised if I did have to pay for a flight to catch up to the ship I still would be ahead of what I would have paid for insurance over the years.

If it was an overseas flight or cruise then that would be a whole different story.

I guess it just basically boils down to ones tolerance for risk in your own travel circumstances.

And if you would have been one of the people flying in on this particular cruise then you would have been SOL. Vacation lost, money wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you would have been one of the people flying in on this particular cruise then you would have been SOL. Vacation lost, money wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said, it's all about your risk tolerance. The chances of flights being re-routed due to a crazed gunman in the flight path is pretty low. Of course, I don't have young kids traveling with me so my tolerance will be different from others.

A few years ago flying out the same day was a pretty safe bet but now...:eek:

No way will I do that, the airlines treat you like cattle and flight delays and cancelations have become the norm....

I am in the process of booking a flight to Barcelona and I will be arriving a day early...

Its also amazing that with the oil price plunge going on close to a year now that the ticket prices have not moved ...:rolleyes:

Edited by warriorking

Perhaps they could do the American thing and sue Titus Colbert.:D
I doubt most Americans would waste their time suing this bozo. Sounds like a pretty shallow well to me… :mad: (I know, you were kidding.)

I am not in the "always buy insurance/arrive early" camp, nor in the "never buy insurance" camp. Each trip has different risks associated with it, so I don't make the same choices every time. The fact that the first port isn't until 4 days into the cruise and it's a place I've never even heard of, that would certainly be a factor for me…

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Its also amazing that with the oil price plunge going on close to a year now that the ticket prices have not moved ...:rolleyes:

That's probably because pricing for non-commodity items or services is usually based on consumers willingness to pay rather than a cost-plus pricing structure.

When we booked our first cruise, I had not found Cruise Critic yet and trusted my travel agent. Stopped in their offices, booked a cruise and went on vacation a month or two later. We had no insurance and traveled to Hawaii from Chicago the morning of our cruise in December (weather in Chicago in December is not always good). The plane was packed with people traveling to the NCL Wind ship, two large buses worth of people. Many started in NY, flew to Chicago, and then on to Hawaii.

During our travels to and from Hawaii, we started to consider travel issues. That was the last time we didn't purchase insurance or gave ourselves a travel buffer. Once I found CC the education on travel insurance soon followed. We always purchase it when we travel and are able to compare plans to get the best value.

I believe plenty of people new to cruising learned an expensive lesson with this example.

bruce...

I have just talked to my insurance company (here in New Zealand) and the cost of the airfare and any accommodation would be covered in a situation just like this on the policy we have taken out.

San Diego to Huatulco is expensive as would be 3 nights in a hotel plus meals. The cost of my insurance for the two of us is well worth it.

Mike

I can't blame the police and powers that be for the actions they decided to take. They were there, we weren't. They deserve some credit. I guess all the airlines who've stopped flying to the vacation area of Egypt's Sinai Peninsula near El Arish city are overreacting as well, as far as some are concerned.

JMO, but there's no way I'd want to have so many lives on my hands if something went wrong.

I feel badly for those who missed their cruise, there's nothing anyone can do but try to make the best of it... ie. a flight to the next port or compensation and another cruise booked.

I'm also very relieved that no one was injured, that's important to remember too. Just sayin'....

Unless I misread it, the gunman was under the flight path of the aircraft arriving at SAN. He was during that time, taking random shots at persons and property around him. Because of the hills approaching SAN runway, the aircraft are at best 3 or 4 hundred feet over the buildings, including the one he was in or on. No way in the world would an aircraft, knowing the situation, would consider "taking a chance" and fly" over the gunman. SAN is already one of the most physically difficult airports to land at.
After reading that a pilot was taken to the hospital after a laser beam was shot at his plan, I think the FAA did the right thing, because no one wants to take a chance that a pilot or passenger were shot. No need to put folks lives in danger. Better to be safe than sorry. Edited by NLH Arizona

Four shots were fired from inside an apartment complex. No one was injured. Thousands of people own guns and live near airports. Anyone could at anytime step outside and fire at planes. This situation held almost no increase in the odds of that happening, yet they diverted planes.

I live in San Diego, and the bolded statement is absolutely not true. This building is well within shooting distance of incoming planes, and IMO this was the right call to make considering this guy was randomly shooting, and clearly trying to hurt or kill others. If he randomly or on purpose shot into the air while a plane was approaching, it could very well have been very bad. Yes, thousands of people own guns. Many within shooting distance of landing airplanes, but those thousands of people are not ACTIVELY shooting into the air unlike this guy.

I live in San Diego, and the bolded statement is absolutely not true. This building is well within shooting distance of incoming planes, and IMO this was the right call to make considering this guy was randomly shooting, and clearly trying to hurt or kill others. If he randomly or on purpose shot into the air while a plane was approaching, it could very well have been very bad. Yes, thousands of people own guns. Many within shooting distance of landing airplanes, but those thousands of people are not ACTIVELY shooting into the air unlike this guy.

Well said.

Mike

It sounds like the right decision was made: safety is much more improtant than peoples holiday time.

If they booked travel as a package with NCL the costs and arrangements to get them to the next port would be covered by NCL (for UK booking passengers at least).

If the flight is 3hrs or less and to somewhere with lots of flights (for us that would include somewhere like Palma, Barcelona etc) then we would happily fly in the same day if the flight arrived before noon and it wasn't December to February when weather is more of an issue.

We have basic travel insurance, but book with a travel agent and get the added protection that offers (except in cases where we have booked cheap last minute trips).

People can't plan for every eventuality, but hopefully they can make sure that should the "worst" happen it won't be a complete financial disaster, but even if it is it's a holiday, it's not the end of the world.

This is what we in Canada refer to as the American illusion of safety. Like your airport body scanners and removal shoes, these procedures give you the opportunity to feel safer even though those procedures do not actually increase your safety at all.

Just to clarify, as a Canadian, I have never heard of an American illusion of safety. I do not believe it is an American issue. In this case, I would not be a particularly happy passenger if my plane were flying over an unsafe area where a stray bullet could hit the plane. Not an illusion if the skin of the plane is penetrated. I would feel the same way if my flight were directed over Syria or Ukraine. No vacation is worth the risk. There will be frustration, anxiety and a lot of last minute plans, but I would rather that than someone being injured by a stray bullet.

Just to clarify, as a Canadian, I have never heard of an American illusion of safety. I do not believe it is an American issue. In this case, I would not be a particularly happy passenger if my plane were flying over an unsafe area where a stray bullet could hit the plane. Not an illusion if the skin of the plane is penetrated. I would feel the same way if my flight were directed over Syria or Ukraine. No vacation is worth the risk. There will be frustration, anxiety and a lot of last minute plans, but I would rather that than someone being injured by a stray bullet.

Oh come on. Either you know that the surest way to a safer US is gun control and less invasive foreign policy or you live in the United State of Alberta.

I am so glad our country finally has a leader who believes in inclusion instead of capitalizing on polarization and fear. Four shots were fired and no one was hurt.

As John Oliver said, "One failed shoe bomb attempt and we all have to take our shoes off at the airport. 31 school shootings since Columbine and no change in the regulation of guns."

Illusion of safety.

There are shootings in Southern California each and every day... but they don't shut down the aeroports every day. This feels like random overreaction.

Only shut down if they are occurring 400 feet under the arriving airliners, and the shooter is firing randomly at anything and everything.

Here ya go. Read this...a factual accounting....and then tell me again yours (or whoever) source of "4 contained shots not threatening anybody", and I'll send that corrected info to my cousin on the SD police department.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Shooting-San-Diego-Laurel-Gunshots-340219382.html

Edited by roger001

Lineaway,

Lol, I liked your comment. My team is done for the year, they probably won't win another game. :(...Oh well there is always next year. I am a fan to the end though. Also wish we had your coach....Thanks for the information, I do have the insurance for my up-coming cruise. :)

Adding my two cents: The police were called to this man's apartment on a domestic violence call. When the man opened his door he immediately opened fire on the police. It was a miracle they were not killed. He then started shooting randomly at people and things. It does not seem out of reason he would shoot at a plane overhead, and I can't believe if he did and caused an emergency the authorities would not be roundly criticized for not closing the airport.

Flights into San Diego were diverted to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Ontario, Phoenix, etc. Some were able to rent cars, take shuttles or taxis and make it on time. A few flights stopped to refuel, and arrived late. The pier shut down at 5 pm, so the ship could sail at 6 pm.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/nov/04/bankers-hill-apartment-active-shooter-rifle/

Just another good reason to purchase cruise insurance.

David

How many passengers missed the cruise because of the incident?:confused:

Oh come on. Either you know that the surest way to a safer US is gun control and less invasive foreign policy or you live in the United State of Alberta.

I am so glad our country finally has a leader who believes in inclusion instead of capitalizing on polarization and fear. Four shots were fired and no one was hurt.

As John Oliver said, "One failed shoe bomb attempt and we all have to take our shoes off at the airport. 31 school shootings since Columbine and no change in the regulation of guns."

Illusion of safety.

Really - you try to turn this into a debate about gun control. Keep your own political beliefs to yourself. The post is about missing a cruise, not about your

2nd Amendment issues.

Another essential factor we're all overlooking here : the state of mind of this particular individual man,shooting randomly....you can easily fill in the blanks...( no pun intended....)