Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

I clicked on the video to see if it was pulled from YouTube...and I can still access it..:(:(

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.....so very tragic..

I'm sure it is just a matter of time. Very sad to see.

Here's what I saw last night FWIW:

I was in the Solarium for the deck party when the lights came up and they made the emergency announcement.

I was out to the deck rail just after the overboard was called out. The ship was already noticeably slower at that point and beginning a turn to port. We were at nearly a dead stop soon thereafter. A small flashing light was on the water a few hundred yards off the port side. I can only assume it was a life ring or life vest.

They had one of the small, faster rescue boats launched a few moments later heading for the light. Another rescue boat came out a few moments after that, likely from the starboard side of the ship. They were also using the large search light under the bridge. We were still nearly stopped at about 4 am when I went to bed.

As another poster said, the captain announced this morning that he was not found, and that we will be into Ft Lauderdale about an hour late tomorrow.

Here's what I saw last night FWIW:

I was in the Solarium for the deck party when the lights came up and they made the emergency announcement.

I was out to the deck rail just after the overboard was called out. The ship was already noticeably slower at that point and beginning a turn to port. We were at nearly a dead stop soon thereafter. A small flashing light was on the water a few hundred yards off the port side. I can only assume it was a life ring or life vest.

They had one of the small, faster rescue boats launched a few moments later heading for the light. Another rescue boat came out a few moments after that, likely from the starboard side of the ship. They were also using the large search light under the bridge. We were still nearly stopped at about 4 am when I went to bed.

As another poster said, the captain announced this morning that he was not found, and that we will be into Ft Lauderdale about an hour late tomorrow.

Thanks for the first hand knowledge. I was on the Oasis last week for 10 nights. Fortunately it was very uneventful.

We were in the Solarium for the twenty party as well and got so nervous when the music stopped and the lights came up... We watched the rescue efforts from 1AM-5AM... We saw the beacon in the water and the boat go to it about five minutes after the Oscar announcement. Around 2AM a guy came up to us on the deck and showed us the YouTube video (which is still up btw) It's just horrible. We couldn't believe how quickly word spread about what happened and how fast the video was posted and found by others. So so sad. I can't even imagine where his family/friends are at right now onboard and what they are going thru.

We were in the Solarium for the twenty party as well and got so nervous when the music stopped and the lights came up... We watched the rescue efforts from 1AM-5AM... We saw the beacon in the water and the boat go to it about five minutes after the Oscar announcement. Around 2AM a guy came up to us on the deck and showed us the YouTube video (which is still up btw) It's just horrible. We couldn't believe how quickly word spread about what happened and how fast the video was posted and found by others. So so sad. I can't even imagine where his family/friends are at right now onboard and what they are going thru.

I cannot imagine being on board when this horrible incident occurred. I feel terrible for all involved and even the witnesses to such an event. Just watching the video has left a sadness/unbelievable feeling with me. There just are no words to describe what everyone must be going through today. Sad indeed.

We are also on board - we were at Sorrentinos having some late night (early morning) pizza that we didn't really need when the "Oscar-Oscar-Oscar-port side" call came over. I knew immediately what that was and said to my wife let's go upstairs to our cabin on Deck 7 to see what's going on. As we approached the port aft elevators we saw crew members running out the doors to where the lifeboats are. When we got upstairs, there was a ruckus in our hallway about 5 cabins down (we are in 7224 and project the family to be in a cabin between 7212-7216) - it was the family - the wife (we think) wanted to go back outside to watch rescue operations but they wouldn't let them in the cabin. There were some other words said - we thought security accused someone of "pushing" the victim - maybe the father - but it's unclear if they meant a physical push or a fight which emotionally "pushed" the victim to jump over.

When we got in our cabin, they were releasing the port side rescue boat just below and left of us. It took them a few minutes to get the boat down and they immediately zoomed over to a beacon (life ring?) out off port side aways. The water was somewhat choppy and it was pretty dark (some cloud cover at times and littl if any moon light). The rescue boat from starboard side was visible to us about 5 minutes later. We stayed up as the ship went slowly back and forth - turning 180 degrees every 10-15 minutes or so.

I did see the video this morning. Tough to watch. Tough night. Not a ton of sleep, although I got more than my wife.

Alex

Edited by beachbuzzard

We had a person overboard on a RC Allure sailing in 2012. Unfortunately there was no video and I don't think they were ever able to determine if it was suicide, accident or murder. It was the first night of the cruise on the way to Nassau. We didn't know what happened until the next morning when the captain announced it at breakfast to explain why we were not in Nassau yet. It was a very eerie experience.

I feel for the family but I do think it is good that video was captured. Whether it should be shared with the world is another thing. It is still being displayed on multiple new websites.

We are also on board - we were at Sorrentinos having some late night (early morning) pizza that we didn't really need when the "Oscar-Oscar-Oscar-port side" call came over. I knew immediately what that was and said to my wife let's go upstairs to our cabin on Deck 7 to see what's going on. As we approached the port aft elevators we saw crew members running out the doors to where the lifeboats are. When we got upstairs, there was a ruckus in our hallway about 5 cabins down (we are in 7224 and project the family to be in a cabin between 7212-7216) - it was the family - the wife (we think) wanted to go back outside to watch rescue operations but they wouldn't let them in the cabin. There were some other words said - we thought security accused someone of "pushing" the victim - maybe the father - but it's unclear if they meant a physical push or a fight which emotionally "pushed" the victim to jump over.

Alex

Alex

Thanks for the first hand comments.

I'm wondering if this morning any of those cabins are taped off by security or did they let the pax back in them.

Can't imagine how the family is dealing with this horrible incident.

For me, this tragic event reinforces just what is most important in life.

I myself am guilty on occasion about complaining about slow drink service, food decline etc. its a big part of what CC has become. But at it's heart, for me, cruising is about creating happy memories with those I love....a chance to escape the grind, be spoiled, and spend quality time together.

This highlights for me to never take a moment for granted, and to focus on what is really important on those few weeks a year I get to spend with loved ones. Not the food, the room, or which drink package I should choose.

Irrespective of how or why this happened, I have to believe his family boarded this ship like most of us do, excited and happy....never anticipating a tragedy such as this would ever occur. Prayers for their miracle.

LIKE. We also pray for that miracle.

Edited by Aboat1

When we got in our cabin, they were releasing the port side rescue boat just below and left of us. It took them a few minutes to get the boat down and they immediately zoomed over to a beacon (life ring?) out off port side aways. The water was somewhat choppy and it was pretty dark (some cloud cover at times and littl if any moon light). The rescue boat from starboard side was visible to us about 5 minutes later. We stayed up as the ship went slowly back and forth - turning 180 degrees every 10-15 minutes or so.

I did see the video this morning. Tough to watch. Tough night. Not a ton of sleep, although I got more than my wife.

Alex

Sounds like the end of a domestic disturbance. Whether he was physically or emotionally "pushed"... Wow. Just wow. I would think they don't want the guests in the room(s) involved because they are potential crime scenes.

Regardless, whatever might have transpired isn't worth a man's life. Whether it was his doing or someone else's.

Prayers for a miracle, that this life is spared.

Tough video to watch. I noticed blood on the ship after he slipped into the water. Not sure if he injured himself as he hit the lifeboat or was trying to hang on... or maybe before.

I actually think it's beneficial in a way to have some "overboard" videos available, especially to show to teenagers who think they are invincible and can sit on railings, etc. Obviously it's hard for the family to know such video exists (and to have access to same), but the Sun Sentinel made that decision and there's no shoving that rabbit back in the hat now.

I feel so terribly for this family, it sounds as if he won't be located at this point.

Edited by Island_Chica

I agree. You can clearly hear him saying "don't touch me, don't touch me".

I think what you are hearing is a friend on the ship. He says "Don't touch me. Until he's back on the ship I'm not going anywhere".

I agree. It sounds like the guy yelling "Don't touch me" is on the ship still. Likely crew members were trying to get him back away from the rail so they could diffuse the situation and render aid.

Ships this big create a serious draw or undertow that pulls people under the water.

This is not true and a bit more of an urban legend or Hollywood myth.

Also, getting hit by any part of the hull, even going at a slower speed, can be deadly. This is really horrible.

This is true, though the person fell from the lifeboat, so he was pretty far away from the ship's hull.

That said, for the reasons explained later, it's not that easy to survive or be found. The person fell from a lifeboat, which was located on deck 5, so approximately 50 feet above the water. At that height, falling into the water can cause some harm. Also, it's a bit like finding a needle in a haystack, assuming the person is able to keep themselves afloat to be found.