Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

And it seems VERY irresponsible to me for the Master of a ship full of thousands of people to risk injury to his/her own passengers and crew (and the ship itself) just to "slam on the brakes" and do a hard turn to go back and pluck some damn fool out of the water who chose to hurl themselves overboard.

I can understand making a reasonable effort to search ... but not to the extent that it puts everyone else in danger.

As someone standing at the rail (150 feet above the waterline) when they initiated the maneuvers, I'm very glad the bridge crew were considering the other 8000 lives onboard.

I can't intelligently speak to the extreme handling abilities of the Oasis, or any other ship for that matter. But I can say as a first-hand layman observer that they appeared to be taking all reasonable measures to rescue the fellow.

Where do you get your stupid information that there are no life vests in the cabins?

You sailed on Allure and didn't notice the absence of lifejackets in your stateroom? So you attend to Muster drills, but don't pay attention to instructions. You are a danger to fellow passengers buddy. You should be banned from cruises.

I doubt the NCL Getaway has any in the cabins - at least the new Escape didn´t have any two weeks ago...:rolleyes:

steamboats

On our last cruise in Indy there was a medical call for the starboard side of the solarium. I'm lying on a lounger and think to myself, W*T*F, I'm on the starboard side of the solarium. I get up and someone is down no more than 30 feet away from me. I was the first physician, and first person with any medical training for that matter, on the scene. Looking back on the incident it was interesting to be involved with it. Unfortunately, his family was there also witnessing the event.

They were lucky to have you there!

Nice to see you too :)

Since it happened on international waters, what country has jurisdiction to investigate this accident? US or Bahamas?

If the incident was in international waters (not in the jurisdiction of any other nation), and the victim was a US citizen (or LPR as has been reported), then the FBI can take jurisdiction. The Bahamas has jurisdiction as flag state, regardless of where the incident occurred.

Since it happened on international waters, what country has jurisdiction to investigate this accident? US or Bahamas?

BSO - Broward Sheriff's Office has taken the lead, other agencies involved FBI and CBP

DH was a US Navy officer and I have been on a few ships. They don't usually bother with railings, usually just a chain around the fore decks. The rest of the ship has what, railings that hit about maybe waist height?. Navy ships aren't about the view so the railings are actually solid walls, but nowhere near as tall as cruise ships. Everyone learns pretty quickly to not get too close to the edge and even then those that do go overboard are trying to for the most part. There are occasional accidents, but they're in seas that most cruise ships avoid. I'm 5'3" and the railing on cruise ships hit me well above my waistline. My mom always tells us to be careful and not fall overboard when we cruise. I laugh at that, because 1) I know the railing height and 2) I'm 55 and don't need mom to tell me that, although I still tell my adult children to be careful lol.

Your correct about the chain, I was talking about the height. Even though it might be a chain, I still call it a railing.

I saw this thread about 4 hours ago this morning. I thought wow this is sad, read about 3 pages of the thread and then went and did other things. As of 5 minutes ago this was the number 1 story in my yahoo feed. WOW.

The only reason this story is getting soooo much coverage, is that the whole thing was video taped and put on YOU TUBE immediately.

Last night, David Muir on ABC World News Now, even showed the tape on TV for EVERYONE to see.

There have been many suicides/accidents this year on cruise ships. 15, I think and YET, has anyone really heard about them?

As I said, had the woman not video taped this, it NEVER would have had so much notoriety.

As someone standing at the rail (150 feet above the waterline) when they initiated the maneuvers, I'm very glad the bridge crew were considering the other 8000 lives onboard.

I can't intelligently speak to the extreme handling abilities of the Oasis, or any other ship for that matter. But I can say as a first-hand layman observer that they appeared to be taking all reasonable measures to rescue the fellow.

Grady thank you for the info! The Question I have is how fast did they get a life boat in the water? Might you know if a crew was getting one in the water on the other side as he was on the divet.

My heart and strength goes out to the crew who tried to save him, because they are going to live with this nightmare for a very long time.

Grady thank you for the info! The Question I have is how fast did they get a life boat in the water? Might you know if a crew was getting one in the water on the other side as he was on the divet.

My heart and strength goes out to the crew who tried to save him, because they are going to live with this nightmare for a very long time.

My guess would be that they did not launch a life boat, but used the two fast rescue boats. These are far faster, more maneuverable, better equipped, and faster to launch than the lifeboats. They are also much easier to get someone into than a lifeboat. And no boat, whether FRB or lifeboat would be launched while the ship was moving. That is a certain recipe for disaster.

I agree.

I doubt the general public will ever find out why or how this individual ended up out on the life boat and it's lowering device/holding device. The crew members went out there to save him, at their risk. I feel for the family of the man that was lost at sea. I feel more for the crew members that tried to save him. The image of the man falling will haunt them for a long time.

I was out at the port side rail within a minute of the overboard call. The rescue boat was launched only a few moments later. It was followed soon thereafter by one from the starboard side coming around the stern.

My guess would be that they did not launch a life boat, but used the two fast rescue boats. These are far faster, more maneuverable, better equipped, and faster to launch than the lifeboats. They are also much easier to get someone into than a lifeboat. And no boat, whether FRB or lifeboat would be launched while the ship was moving. That is a certain recipe for disaster.

Yes, that is correct. They were using the two smaller rescue craft.

My guess would be that they did not launch a life boat, but used the two fast rescue boats. These are far faster, more maneuverable, better equipped, and faster to launch than the lifeboats.

This is correct. They launched the two rescue boats, and they also had the searchlights from the Oasis panning back and forth across the water. We saw this from our Deck 11 port side balcony.

Karen, like Grady mentioned, it happened quickly. One of the officers told me it was four minutes from the distress call until the rescue boats were in the water.

Karen, like Grady mentioned, it happened quickly. One of the officers told me it was four minutes from the distress call until the rescue boats were in the water.

That is pretty darn quick! Thanks Bill for the updated info!

I hope all of you had a great trip and a fun Halloween on board! I hoping when you all get settled you will provide pix report of your cabin and Halloween!

Grady thank you for updated info. I can imagine all the commotion with search/rescue birds in the air with lights on! How close were the birds getting to the Ms.O. It must of been horrific and amazing to see them all in action trying to find him.

I just remember the police searching for a lost senior and the noise of the copters and the lights every 15 mins piercing through my house for hours at night and it was just so haunting! I feel for all you pax who were put in the middle of it! Just not fun!

I wonder if these larger ships might just start carrying their own copter on board to be more self sufficient for this and other medical evac. issues!

I agree.

I doubt the general public will ever find out why or how this individual ended up out on the life boat and it's lowering device/holding device. The crew members went out there to save him, at their risk. I feel for the family of the man that was lost at sea. I feel more for the crew members that tried to save him. The image of the man falling will haunt them for a long time.

I'm suspect the crew will be ok. They have not lived in bubbles. People deal with all types of loss and tragedies in their lives. You are the last person I need to tell that to. They will put this into perspective and move on. It is the only way to survive what life throws at you. And I don't mean that to sound cold.

They do it on whale wars all the time!

LOL.

Grady thank you for updated info. I can imagine all the commotion with search/rescue birds in the air with lights on! How close were the birds getting to the Ms.O. It must of been horrific and amazing to see them all in action trying to find him.

I just remember the police searching for a lost senior and the noise of the copters and the lights every 15 mins piercing through my house for hours at night and it was just so haunting! I feel for all you pax who were put in the middle of it! Just not fun!

I wonder if these larger ships might just start carrying their own copter on board to be more self sufficient for this and other medical evac. issues!

Not likely. Even those helipads that exist on cruise ships are not capable of landing helicopters with the range and payload capacity necessary, which is why most evacs are winch ones (let alone the dangers of landing a helo on a moving ship). The cruise lines would not be interested in investing space and dollars (initial construction cost) to build a helipad and hangar for an onboard bird. Also, you would need to have two pilots that you would have to pay every day, even though they would only rarely fly. Also, the amount of training required for maritime operations (hovering near large ships in all weathers), search and rescue, and flight medicine is extremely costly, best absorbed by government agencies, and without constant training, which a crew assigned to a cruise ship wouldn't get, their effectiveness would be marginal. Even if a cruise line could shanghai a flight crew from the USCG, without the constant training and actual operations their skills would atrophy.

Norwegian Getaway has life jackets in the cabin, or at least there is a little sign beside the bed that says life jackets are stored beneath the bed.

I never actually got down and looked to make sure they were there though.

Just got off the Getaway 2 weeks ago.

I'm suspect the crew will be ok. They have not lived in bubbles. People deal with all types of loss and tragedies in their lives. You are the last person I need to tell that to. They will put this into perspective and move on. It is the only way to survive what life throws at you. And I don't mean that to sound cold.

I agree with your sentiment here though most may not understand. I bet if they get counselling they will come out worse! I estimate I have seen over 1000 people die in my company from a variety of accident, illnesses, mishaps and crimes (don't ask). I only get a little haunted by a couple of those (usually children). But counselling just turns a bad event you move on from into a festering sore that the counsellors like to keep 'active'.

Moving on is the best way to go...if you can. The assumption that you can't is self defeating.

Edited by hollykimalan