Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

They're saying the crew harassed him & his DH the whole cruise for being gay. They're lawyer is reporting it got really bad at one of the bars. According to them the constant taunting & harassing pushed him too far. (I'm paraphrasing). They say the crew were then inept at the rescue attempt. It appears to me to be a classic case of looking for someone to blame instead of the guilty party(ies).

Oh boy. Maybe my husband and I should book a cruise on another line. I'd really hate to be harassed to the point where either of us wanted to jump over.

On a serious note, I totally agree with you about trying to pass the blame. No one put that man over the rail, and ultimately on the lifeboat and overboard, other than himself. Not trying to be cruel, just honest. Let the flaming begin...:rolleyes:

I have seen counselors get a hold of people who were doing fine after tragedies and turn them into blubbering messes. They even have a way of making you feel like there is something wrong with you, or that you are just suppressing your feelings, if you are doing ok.:rolleyes:

The mind is a beautiful thing but everyone handles things differently. We had one guy that cracked jokes every time we went to a death scene. It was his way of handling it. He was so bad at one, we had to dismiss him from the scene. Then one of my closest and toughest friends committed suicide a couple of years after watching two teenagers burn up in a car. Of course he insisted he was fine and in the end it didn't matter that he rescued a third. You just never know.

Probably not the best choice of words given the parties involved.

I appreciate your concern for the involved parties, however, that isn't how I intended it. Also, I'm gay as well, so it's fine.

However, if that was meant as sarcastic humor, then I can appreciate that as well. :cool::D

They're saying the crew harassed him & his DH the whole cruise for being gay. Their lawyer is reporting it got really bad at one of the bars. According to them the constant taunting & harassing pushed him too far. (I'm paraphrasing). They say the crew were then inept at the rescue attempt. It appears to me to be a classic case of looking for someone to blame instead of the guilty party(ies).

bull twinkles. while there may have been passengers that were as-swipes the cruise line overall has been VERY tolerant/welcoming. hell they host LGBT cruises all the freaking time.

They're saying the crew harassed him & his DH the whole cruise for being gay. Their lawyer is reporting it got really bad at one of the bars. According to them the constant taunting & harassing pushed him too far. (I'm paraphrasing). They say the crew were then inept at the rescue attempt. It appears to me to be a classic case of looking for someone to blame instead of the guilty party(ies).

Well this is a fail. I was on the Indy last week and RCCL hosted a large group, LGBT for Aquafest, an annual Halloween Cruise. It included special mixers & events etc. They best have some great evidence as RCCL has plenty of great past experiences that are well documented.

BTW, we had a wonderful cruise. I hope to get a review out next week.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

I am appalled the family has hired a lawyer. I am so sick and tired of people blaming everyone else for their problems. I did feel horrible for this families loss. But this has lessoned my compassion a tremendous amount.

I don't believe he was being harassed - sounds like just a way to try to profit from his death. Sad indeed.

I am so sorry for this family's loss. My prayers go out to them.

Apologies for going slightly off-topic, but I would like to thank people including chengkp75, Aquahound, Palmetto Pilot, spookwife and many others (blame my mind and not my heart if I missed anyone) for the highly informative, rational and educational posts about how things work. I continue to learn so much from the experienced navigators and aviators on this forum. As I understand it many of you have served our country as well, and I thank you for your service!

I am appalled the family has hired a lawyer. I am so sick and tired of people blaming everyone else for their problems. I did feel horrible for this families loss. But this has lessoned my compassion a tremendous amount.

I don't believe he was being harassed - sounds like just a way to try to profit from his death. Sad indeed.

110% agreed. Terrible thing to do on the families part.

I appreciate your concern for the involved parties, however, that isn't how I intended it. Also, I'm gay as well, so it's fine.

However, if that was meant as sarcastic humor, then I can appreciate that as well. :cool::D

I knew that you didn't mean it that way.

While I am concerned about the parties, it probably leaned heavily at an attempt of sarcastic humor. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm booked on the AOS Drag Queen Cruise (no, I'm not gay or a fan of drag queens, just worked out that way), if RCCL did have a constant problem of harassing these individuals due to their sexual orientation, then I doubt organizations would use their ships to host such events.

Edited by AZCactusCruiser

Oh boy. Maybe my husband and I should book a cruise on another line. I'd really hate to be harassed to the point where either of us wanted to jump over.

On a serious note, I totally agree with you about trying to pass the blame. No one put that man over the rail, and ultimately on the lifeboat and overboard, other than himself. Not trying to be cruel, just honest. Let the flaming begin...:rolleyes:

I'm gonna' suggest that the lawyer's statement is a boat load of bull crap. You can't take lawyer speak seriously. I wouldn't panic Andy.

While I am concerned about the parties, it probably leaned heavily at an attempt of sarcastic humor. :rolleyes:

In that case, to be honest, I did let out a chuckle when I read it!

I'm gonna' suggest that the lawyer's statement is a boat load of bull crap. You can't take lawyer speak seriously. I wouldn't panic Andy.

Well then, that's reassuring. I mean, I wouldn't want to offend anyone while onboard with my partner. [emoji57]

Edited by AndyT3

Local SFL news had the lawyer on it. I am sure someone can find it on one of the news websites. It all sounded like BS. Lawyer says he was harassed for being gay at a atrium bar? And then security went to the room and a "physical altercation" occurred between him and security that led to him falling off the boat. Then the news reporter stated that security was alerted by a neighboring cabin over a domestic dispute and that's why they (security) went to the cabin.

This is all absolutely ridiculous. Shame on this family for getting a lawyer!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Briitini

Also, I'm booked on the AOS Drag Queen Cruise (no, I'm not gay or a fan of drag queens, just worked out that way), if RCCL did have a constant problem of harassing these individuals due to their sexual orientation, then I doubt organizations would use their ships to host such events.

I'm sorry to go off topic, but is this the one with the RuPaul contestants? Not gay but that's on my bucket list. Huge fan. Hope you enjoy it, they can be hilarious. Some seasons should be on Netflix or logotv.com, you'll be with some very popular entertainers if so.

Apologies again for O/T, to get back on topic I am a person who reads many many posts on CC across all the lines and I retain info well and spot trends. If anything, cruising has given me the impression of being quite LBGTQ friendly. I cannot speak from personal experience; just the impression I got. As ranty as this place gets, if someone felt harassed I think we would have seen long, long threads about it. Sounds like cruise law news guy got ahold of them.

Edited by perditax

Andy, from the way you sound. you and you husband would be more than welcome on any cruise. Of course, I may be prejudiced because you did chuckle at my attempt at humor. ;) Happy seas to you.

Local SFL news had the lawyer on it. I am sure someone can find it on one of the news websites. It all sounded like BS. Lawyer says he was harassed for being gay at a atrium bar? And then security went to the room and a "physical altercation" occurred between him and security that led to him falling off the boat. Then the news reporter stated that security was alerted by a neighboring cabin over a domestic dispute and that's why they (security) went to the cabin.

This is all absolutely ridiculous. Shame on this family for getting a lawyer!!!!

The earlier report we heard didn't give that much detail. This must have been add-on info, by the lawyer & media, for shock factor. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

The earlier report we heard didn't give that much detail. This must have been add-on info, by the lawyer & media, for shock factor. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

Hahaha seriously.

I'm sorry to go off topic, but is this the one with the RuPaul contestants? Not gay but that's on my bucket list. Huge fan. Hope you enjoy it, they can be hilarious. Some seasons should be on Netflix or logotv.com, you'll be with some very popular entertainers if so.

I have no idea who all are involved, but I've been told about 30 drag queens and their followers are taking up about half the ship. Should be a quite interesting, and hopefully fun, time. Sorry for being off topic.

Edited by AZCactusCruiser

I am so sorry for this family's loss. My prayers go out to them.

Apologies for going slightly off-topic, but I would like to thank people including chengkp75, Aquahound, Palmetto Pilot, spookwife and many others (blame my mind and not my heart if I missed anyone) for the highly informative, rational and educational posts about how things work. I continue to learn so much from the experienced navigators and aviators on this forum. As I understand it many of you have served our country as well, and I thank you for your service!

Need a like button on cruise critic!!!! I completely agree. Lots of knowledgeable people on these boards. (makes it easier to overlook the nasty remarks)

Edited by waterbugohio