Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

Andy, from the way you sound. you and you husband would be more than welcome on any cruise. Of course, I may be prejudiced because you did chuckle at my attempt at humor. ;) Happy seas to you.

Well thank you. Hopefully we won't let this mistreatment alter our decisions to sail with Royal, and maybe we will bump into each other in a future roll call. Only time will tell! Safe sailing to you and yours as well!

I have no idea who all are involved, but I've been told about 30 drag queens and their followers are taking up about half the ship. Should be a quite interesting, and hopefully fun, time. Sorry for being off topic.

Final O/T, I researched and that's the one, it also seems to be a charity event. I have met some of these performers in real life and they are lovely people. I hope it doesn't intrude on your cruise. I notice the official event page says for non group cruisers to feel free to give them a call, so I suppose they are open to reassuring concerns.

I am seriously tempted to book this.

End O/T.

Does anyone know why thy wouldn't have stopped the ship when he was holding on to the lifeboat? I don't understand this part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go back through that question has been asked and answered multiple times. Bottom line, ships don't stop on a dime.

Does anyone know why thy wouldn't have stopped the ship when he was holding on to the lifeboat? I don't understand this part.

It took the ship one mile to stop while underway. It's not like a car.... they got a rescue boat in the water within four minutes. Not much more the captain could do, IMHO.

It took the ship one mile to stop while underway. It's not like a car.... they got a rescue boat in the water within four minutes. Not much more the captain could do, IMHO.

Thank you! Makes sense.

Captain told us that security was alerted to a domestic disturbance by people near the cabin. When they arrived a woman answered the door and the man headed out the balcony. They alerted the bridge that there was a potential man overboard situation. Bridge slowed down the ship. Meanwhile guy jumped off ship landing on the area supporting the life boat. A member of the beverage staff was in the area and was the one who grabbed the guy and tried to hold onto him (frankly risking his own life) when the guy fell the bridge hit a button which established where he went overboard and they began the rescue efforts while also sending message to coast guard and a general alert to any ships in the area. Alas we had six to seven foot sees, it was dark and it was raining. Difficult task in daylight with clear sky's. My husband and I did not realize what was going on until 8am. We noticed on tha tv that we were not heading in the right direction, but it never occurred to us that we were circling. The incident occurred around 1am, and we were still circling at 8am. Soon the coast guard released the Oasis. The oasis teem searched for some 7+ hours. Captain noted that the currents were very strong in this area. I believe they now keep life vests near muster areas. Too many people tripping over the belts and in case of emergency it is a long way to go to get your life vest before going to muster station. Although in this case it might have been helpful to have a vest tossed overboard with it's blinking light. Not sure it would have been anywhere near the victim..but it might have provided some visual assistance

I have watched the video over and over in hopes of catching more details to understand what happened. There is another video from a different angle that is now mingled with the one most folks have seen. That additional vantage point shows clearly this guy was being held on the ship by a RCCL staff member. After seeing that so clearly and then watching the final "fall" - I am convinced the man intentionally pulled away from the grip of the person holding him. He leans back - looks at the deck (most likely his partner) and then with his other hand seems to pull away from the staff member. That is when he fell.

I know some folks are upset a video was posted at all - but I am glad it was as it gives me information I would not otherwise have.

Wow, that's terrible.

Also, I just want to set this clear. I know I've been having some lighthearted discussions with other posters here, but ultimately, a life was lost and it is a tragic event. With that said, I think the way it occurred and the way that the family (reportedly) is going about the aftermath is a little messed up. But the final, and standing point here is that a life was tragically lost.

I'm sorry to go off topic, but is this the one with the RuPaul contestants? Not gay but that's on my bucket list. Huge fan. Hope you enjoy it, they can be hilarious. Some seasons should be on Netflix or logotv.com, you'll be with some very popular entertainers if so.

Apologies again for O/T, to get back on topic I am a person who reads many many posts on CC across all the lines and I retain info well and spot trends. If anything, cruising has given me the impression of being quite LBGTQ friendly. I cannot speak from personal experience; just the impression I got. As ranty as this place gets, if someone felt harassed I think we would have seen long, long threads about it. Sounds like cruise law news guy got ahold of them.

This too seems to be our train of thought. We also feel that the cruise industry is very accepting in hiring practices as well. Sadly I knew it would only take a small amount of time for a lawyer to get involved.

Captain told us that security was alerted to a domestic disturbance by people near the cabin. When they arrived a woman answered the door and the man headed out the balcony.

Not true. We were on the ship and attended the Captain's Corner where he detailed the incident.

The captain NEVER said a "woman answered the door." Actually, I found it somewhat odd that no one referred to the gender of the second person. I guess I now know why.

What is really sad is that the "family" has now hired a lawyer who claims he did not jump but "fell" after being angered by homophobic comments by the crew.

That is total nonsense on many fronts. First, you cannot "fall over the balcony railing." Shame on the sleezy lawyer for even suggesting that.

Second, I have NEVER heard a crew member make any sort of disparaging remark to any passenger. If anyone did make a comment, it would be another passenger.

Sadly, this tragedy has turned into a cheap money grab by "family" and lawyers. Sad, Sad indeed!

Any word from passengers boarding and leaving on the Oasis??

I noticed she is still in port (webcam) What time is she scheduled to leave? Was she delayed just because of getting back late? Or are there investigations to be done?

We were about an hour late due to the rescue efforts

I agree.

....... I feel more for the crew members that tried to save him. The image of the man falling will haunt them for a long time.

The Captain informed us that counselors will be brought aboard for the crew, especially the two crew members who tried so desperately to bring him back aboard.

Wasn't trying to give offense, just pointing out that helidecks designed for light helicopters are the norm on ships, not normally able to accommodate USCG Dauphins. And I agree, the "Knee Deep Navy" are the "pros from Dover" when it comes to SAR (Canadian Forces SAR are in the same class, I've been the recipient of their skills).

None taken at all. :D It's really a bad situation regardless, being the profession it's hard to not arm chair quarterback. Regardless this poor soul was as good as dead when he went into the water. Even under the best conditions it can be hard to spot someone in terrain or water. At night even with NVGs or a FLIR device it's like trying to find the proverbial needle in the haystack.

Technical talk aside, I hope that regardless of the sexual preference of the party in question the truth comes out. This sticks of the surviving partner trying to make a profit from a tragedy.

I read of a mention that there is a video from another angle other than the one we've all seen? Can anyone share a link of that?

While the loss of any life in circumstances like this is tragic, I cannot imagine any accidental way a person would end up in this position dangling off the side of the ship. Also, I think they are just using "being gay" as a way to get media attention (and probably more $$). In fact, I cannot really think of a more gay friendly vacation experience than a cruise. Crew and passengers both, from what I have observed, have always respected couples personal preferences. Just my opinion though.

We were on the cruise with the Freedom fire... the emergency call was definitely BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO...Deck 0 AFT, Dec 15 Aft

Was that the Carnival Freedom?..because I'm positive it was a "bravo" call on the Carnival Spirit. He's a link from C.C. that even mentions it..

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-4/news/news.cfm?ID=4803

I thought I had some of the codes figured out and now doing research I can't even find cruise line specific info.

My guess would be that they did not launch a life boat, but used the two fast rescue boats. These are far faster, more maneuverable, better equipped, and faster to launch than the lifeboats. They are also much easier to get someone into than a lifeboat. And no boat, whether FRB or lifeboat would be launched while the ship was moving. That is a certain recipe for disaster.

Why do the FRBs have the drag rope on them if they can not be launched underway? I always assumed it was to react out the drag load on the boat until they could get the engine going and release the hoist cables.

You can kind of see the rope I am talking about in these two pictures (files are large so I'll just post the links): https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/2494099/mo2010004_fig2.jpg and http://www.thereheis.com/gallery/d/9292-2/freedom+of+the+seas+-+future+vacation.jpg In the one of Freedom, if you zoom in you can see the rope running from the FRB down the side of the hull then it is tied up back along the promenade deck.

Why do the FRBs have the drag rope on them if they can not be launched underway? I always assumed it was to react out the drag load on the boat until they could get the engine going and release the hoist cables.

You can kind of see the rope I am talking about in these two pictures (files are large so I'll just post the links): https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/2494099/mo2010004_fig2.jpg and http://www.thereheis.com/gallery/d/9292-2/freedom+of+the+seas+-+future+vacation.jpg In the one of Freedom, if you zoom in you can see the rope running from the FRB down the side of the hull then it is tied up back along the promenade deck.

This is video from when the rescue boat was launched for our cruise..As you can see it was very dangerous and we were not moving fast if at all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rq63bb5kwI

Here's the link to the other video..It's the part at the beginning that's different.

**Warning Graphic**

That's so sad. I always thought it was the partner of the man overboard yelling. Here you hear it clearly. No idea why it happened but he's obviously blaming someone on the ship for his husband going over. So terrible to hear his panic and desperation.

The "drag rope" is the "sea painter". This line is used by the boat crew to keep the boat alongside the ship while lowering, releasing, and hooking back up to the falls. If the line could be attached near the waterline, it might be able to do, to a degree, what you thought, but given that it leads upwards when the boat is in the water, any significant strain on it (such as the boat being dragged by the water flowing past the ship's hull) will tend to lift the bow of the boat and capsize it. This is the mistake the "whale warriors" made.

Because the FRB is hanging by one wire rope, and the ship is pitching and rolling, there is a significant chance of the boat slamming into the hull, repeatedly, and damaging the boat while it is being lowered/raised. This painter is tended (controlled pay out/heave in) while the boat is being lowered to try and keep the boat against the hull.

Also, when hooking the boat back up, the coxswain can back down slightly against the painter to keep the boat in position while the crew of the boat attempt the tricky part of hooking up the falls without getting bashed in the head by the swinging hook.

I looked at the video posted of a FRB launch, and that crew needs some serious re-training. Not so much the boat crew, as the crew tending the painter on deck. You can see where at one point, as the boat is being lowered, the painter comes tight, and raises the bow of the boat. Rather than have the crew on deck pay out the painter, the boat crew releases it. When the boat hits the water, it immediately swings broadside to the waves and nearly overturns. Had the painter been used properly, it would have held the bow of the boat into the seas, and the boat could have launched smoothly. I can't tell from a quick view of the video, but the boat crew normally has the engine running before the boat is in the water.

There have been so many crew injuries since the implementation of FRB's that the IMO has started reviews of approved launching and recovering methods and sea states.

Edited by chengkp75

As far as the personal injury lawyer, I'm sure Aquahound was with me in seeing that coming the instant this thread was started.

To comment on the "basis" of the suit: There is always a gay community, and many times a significant one, in the crew. Yes, there are ethnic and cultural "cliques" and "mafias", but in the small, compact society below I-95, everyone quickly learns to live in tolerance, if not in harmony. Anything less would result in tensions that not only supervisors and officers wouldn't tolerate, but that the crew's shipboard society itself would not tolerate, and would, and does, self-police. I have never heard of ships' crews bashing gays, and if it was something that was ongoing all cruise, a supervisor would have heard about it, and put a stop to it. As is typical with these kinds of suits, the lawyer will sling as much mud on the wall as possible, to see if any of it sticks.

They're saying the crew harassed him & his DH the whole cruise for being gay. Their lawyer is reporting it got really bad at one of the bars. According to them the constant taunting & harassing pushed him too far. (I'm paraphrasing). They say the crew were then inept at the rescue attempt. It appears to me to be a classic case of looking for someone to blame instead of the guilty party(ies).

It's so easy to sue and blame others. Remember the case some years ago of the newlyweds while cruising on the Serenade where the husband either jumped (drunk) or was pushed off (by Russians from Brooklyn) the balcony. The wife got a quarter of a million settlement even though she was drunk out of her mind and did not know that her husband had died.

Suing someone, especially Corporations, is so easy in the US. We have the highest ratio of lawyers in the world, by far.

That's so sad. I always thought it was the partner of the man overboard yelling. Here you hear it clearly. No idea why it happened but he's obviously blaming someone on the ship for his husband going over. So terrible to hear his panic and desperation.

I am going to see even though I was not there to help put the puzzle together.

They were down at some bar. They are claiming the crew was making horrific remarks, but they had waited til 2nd to last night to start this; okay that works! NOT, If this was true in any capacity it was another pax not crew! I"ll give the partner unique points for making this most likely up; since different crew members at the 2 instances. Not sold.

We were told that there was a disturbance in the cabin and on the balcony and security was called to check it out!

Now the How, Why, Whom to a partner leading to landing on divit and here is another big why. Why wasn't it the other partner on the divit if the claims were he was the 1 the most pissed. Here is a guess to the answer they started aurging and then fighting trying to calm down and it started getting physical out on the /cabin/balcony and somehow the guy was on the divit! I am sure the cameras have it! It amazes me that no one was arrested for this. You just don't fall! You climb and jump or pushed! I am leading to jump!

Next question the partner was bleeding what kind of glass is the balcony made of? Could it be possible broken! Seems major league unlikely! That glass most likely is hurricane proof. They had to be throwing bottles or glasses.

Now you can here in the video what must be security trying to arrest partner on board and he claims to crew you murdered him and get off of me several times. I am not leaving til my husband is back onboard.

Anyone know if the now surviving partner was detained after this? For what? Might of been a very lonely 30hrs in the brig and getting sober and going over the night before! That guy will be living with this for the rest of his life!

It is interesting because in front part of this video he looks in pain but some what secure. I would imagine that someone was in the process of getting a harness to get on him and tied to the ship.

I just feel incredibly bad for the crew who tried to save the partner. They will get through this. For eveyone especially the families awoken to hear this going on. To hours of the noise and lights of the 7+hr search.

Whatever led to this is just meaningless now and wasn't worth it, and could of been handled much better with a lesser deadly of an outcome. It is that little thing called alcohol that puts common sense out the door.

Just my 2cents take on this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk