Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

That's so sad. I always thought it was the partner of the man overboard yelling. Here you hear it clearly. No idea why it happened but he's obviously blaming someone on the ship for his husband going over. So terrible to hear his panic and desperation.

After neighbors called security regarding a argument/fight coming from their room, I understand Security separated the men, pulling the one husband out of the room (which I hear was trashed), and its been reported the other yelled he was going to jump overboard. Is that what they are going to blame on RCI, who knows. Blaming them for the gay comments, security tapes are going to show that isn't the case.

I've been on many a cruise, i see the gay community too has found cruising to be a great vacation and have seen an increase and the staff and crew being nothing but wonderful.

Of course I feel badly for the man and his husband, but no one pushed him over the railing, he jumped. It disgusts me when I see people do wrong and try and sue innocent parties because they assume/know they can get a pay day out of it. This one act, upset a lot of innocent vacationers and crew who had to witness this. I heard their attorney on TV this morning calling it a negligent rescue. huh? The crew risked their own lives, trying to pull him in. They aren't some elite Coast Guard team. They did their best and I'm sure they all wanted to pull him to safety. It just gets me so mad. And to pull the gay card out and blame RCI crew. If there was an incident with a crew member who made some remark to them in the solarium (which by the way, I don't even think the solarium bar is open that late), report that crew member, but really - enough to make you want to jump overboard. please. Stay on land if you can't control your drinking!!!

Edited by Trekker954

Hello,

This event is very tragic, but I feel I want say to something to the members of the LGBT community, please don't believe this story, of all the cruises my wife and I have been on we have NEVER seen any crew members treat people with disrespect, we have many gay friends and have cruised with them often. It is a very friendly environment, PLEASE PLEASE don't let this scare you from cruising, Royal is a great cruise line, and very gay friendly. Thats all I want to say.

Tim

Edited by skyking

They're saying the crew harassed him & his DH the whole cruise for being gay. Their lawyer is reporting it got really bad at one of the bars. According to them the constant taunting & harassing pushed him too far. (I'm paraphrasing). They say the crew were then inept at the rescue attempt. It appears to me to be a classic case of looking for someone to blame instead of the guilty party(ies).

The ship docked yesterday and the lawyer already knows all the facts?:rolleyes: <sigh>:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh boy. Maybe my husband and I should book a cruise on another line. I'd really hate to be harassed to the point where either of us wanted to jump over.

On a serious note, I totally agree with you about trying to pass the blame. No one put that man over the rail, and ultimately on the lifeboat and overboard, other than himself. Not trying to be cruel, just honest. Let the flaming begin...:rolleyes:

I wanted to book Navigator this coming January but the week I wanted is a full charter by Atlantis. I think that demonstates RCI's position on the matter.

The ship docked yesterday and the lawyer already knows all the facts?:rolleyes: <sigh>:rolleyes::rolleyes:

All we will ever hear is the lawyer's "story" and if the family is allowed by him to speak, from them. RCI doesn't usually comment beyond what they've already stated. I see this as a ambulance chasing lawyer who sees a big payday and has to exaggerate and even lie in order to increase the settlement, because, unfortunately, this will be settled and never see court just like most lawsuits. It's hard to prove what they are saying/claiming though without witnesses and that's where it will get interesting.

Edited by BND

There are close to 10,000 people on this ship. To argue either "there is no chance anyone made homophobic comments" or to act like RCCL is some kind of anti-LGBT organization is equally ludicrous. Either extreme makes no sense. Of course, there are some homophobic crew but just as obvious RCCL is clearly not anti-LGBT. They have LGBT events on every cruise!

As someone who has many friends, and even one parent who is gay, I can confidently say there is zero chance a 35 year old gay man, who is married, would be driven to suicide over some homophobic comments by a few crew, no matter how vitriolic. There is obviously more to this story.

After neighbors called security regarding a argument/fight coming from their room, I understand Security separated the men, pulling the one husband out of the room (which I hear was trashed), and its been reported the other yelled he was going to jump overboard. Is that what they are going to blame on RCI, who knows. Blaming them for the gay comments, security tapes are going to show that isn't the case.

I've been on many a cruise, i see the gay community too has found cruising to be a great vacation and have seen an increase and the staff and crew being nothing but wonderful.

Of course I feel badly for the man and his husband, but no one pushed him over the railing, he jumped. It disgusts me when I see people do wrong and try and sue innocent parties because they assume/know they can get a pay day out of it. This one act, upset a lot of innocent vacationers and crew who had to witness this. I heard their attorney on TV this morning calling it a negligent rescue. huh? The crew risked their own lives, trying to pull him in. They aren't some elite Coast Guard team. They did their best and I'm sure they all wanted to pull him to safety. It just gets me so mad. And to pull the gay card out and blame RCI crew. If there was an incident with a crew member who made some remark to them in the solarium (which by the way, I don't even think the solarium bar is open that late), report that crew member, but really - enough to make you want to jump overboard. please. Stay on land if you can't control your drinking!!!

Bingo. Great post.

Was that the Carnival Freedom?..because I'm positive it was a "bravo" call on the Carnival Spirit. He's a link from C.C. that even mentions it..

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-4/news/news.cfm?ID=4803

I thought I had some of the codes figured out and now doing research I can't even find cruise line specific info.

I am referring to the RCCL Freedom of the Seas fire, this past July.

All we will ever hear is the lawyer's "story" and if the family is allowed by him to speak, from them. RCI doesn't usually comment beyond what they've already stated. I see this as a ambulance chasing lawyer who sees a big payday and has to exaggerate and even lie in order to increase the settlement, because, unfortunately, this will be settled and never see court just like most lawsuits. It's hard to prove what they are saying/claiming though without witnesses and that's where it will get interesting.

The big question is that if true that he's a Brazilian citizen, the lawsuit, if any, I'm guessing will take place in the Bahamas where the ship is registered or in his native country.

I am appalled the family has hired a lawyer. I am so sick and tired of people blaming everyone else for their problems. I did feel horrible for this families loss. But this has lessoned my compassion a tremendous amount.

I don't believe he was being harassed - sounds like just a way to try to profit from his death. Sad indeed.

Have to agree. It's horribly sad...this person lost his life and the family has to go on dealing with it, and missing the person.

Now, I wasn't there, but every article you read says 'he jumped'...so how can that be Royal's fault? They did everything to try and help and unfortunately it had the awful outcome...but surely not Royal's fault. If the guy was that bad off, then he probably would have found another way if not on the ship.

PS - And what difference does it make if the guy was gay or not?

Edited by LuCruise

The big question is that if true that he's a Brazilian citizen, the lawsuit, if any, I'm guessing will take place in the Bahamas where the ship is registered or in his native country.

Doesn't the cruise contract have a clause requiring all claims to be filed in Miami? I'm sure someone on here knows for sure.

It's Miami.

They're saying the crew harassed him & his DH the whole cruise for being gay. Their lawyer is reporting it got really bad at one of the bars. According to them the constant taunting & harassing pushed him too far. (I'm paraphrasing). They say the crew were then inept at the rescue attempt. It appears to me to be a classic case of looking for someone to blame instead of the guilty party(ies).

I don't buy this for one second. Not at all.

It was noted a few posts ago that he is a legal resident of the U.S.

Because that is now the entire cornerstone of the lawsuit.

Doesn't the cruise contract have a clause requiring all claims to be filed in Miami? I'm sure someone on here knows for sure.

Just found it:

9. FORUM SELECTION CLAUSE FOR ALL LAWSUITS; CLASS ACTION WAIVER:

a. EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SECTION 10 (b) WITH REGARD TO CLAIMS SUBJECT TO BINDING ARBITRATION, IT IS AGREED BY AND

BETWEEN PASSENGER AND CARRIER THAT ALL DISPUTES AND MATTERS WHATSOEVER ARISING UNDER, IN CONNECTION WITH OR

INCIDENT TO THIS AGREEMENT, PASSENGER'

S CRUISE, CRUISETOUR, RCT LAND TOUR OR TRAN

SPORT, SHALL BE LITIGATED, IF AT ALL,

IN AND BEFORE THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA LOCATED IN MIAMI-DADE COUNTY,

FLORIDA, U.S.A., (OR AS TO THOSE LAWSUITS TO WHICH THE FEDERAL COURTS OF THE UNITED STATES LACK SUBJECT MATTER

JURISDICTION, BEFORE A COURT LOCATED IN MIAMI-DADE COUNTY,

FLORIDA, U.S.A.) TO THE EXCLUSION OF THE COURTS OF ANY

OTHER STATE, TERRITORY OR COUNTRY. PASSENGER HEREBY CONSENTS TO JURISDICTION AND WAIVES ANY VENUE OR OTHER

OBJECTION THAT HE MAY HAVE TO ANY SUCH ACTION OR PROCEEDING BEING BROUGHT IN THE APPLICABLE COURT LOCATED IN MIAMI-

DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA.

b. CLASS ACTION RELIEF WAIVER. PASSENGER HEREBY AGREES THAT EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN THE LAST SENTENCE OF THIS

PARAGRAPH, PASSENGER MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST CARRIER ONLY IN PASSENGER'S INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY. EVEN IF THE

APPLICABLE LAW PROVIDES OTHERWISE, PASSENGER AGREES THAT ANY ARBITRATION OR LAWSUIT AGAINST CARRIER, VESSEL OR

TRANSPORT WHATSOEVER SHALL BE LITIGATED BY PASSENGER INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT AS A MEMBER OF ANY CLASS OR AS PART OF A

CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION, AND PASSENGER EXPRESSLY AGREES TO WAIVE ANY LAW ENTITLING PASSENGER TO

PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. IF YOUR CLAIM IS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION AS PROVIDED IN SECTION 10 BELOW, THE ARBITRATOR

SHALL HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO ARBITRATE CLAIMS ON A CLASS ACTION BASIS. YOU AGREE THAT THIS SECTION SHALL NOT BE

SEVERABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FROM THE ARBITRATION CLAUSE SET FORTH IN SECTION 10.b BELOW, AND IF FOR ANY

REASON THIS CLASS ACTION WAIVER IS UNENFORCEABLE AS TO ANY PARTICULAR CLAIM, THEN AND ONLY THEN SUCH CLAIM SHALL

NOT BE SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

Have to agree. It's horribly sad...this person lost his life and the family has to go on dealing with it, and missing the person.

Now, I wasn't there, but every article you read says 'he jumped'...so how can that be Royal's fault? They did everything to try and help and unfortunately it had the awful outcome...but surely not Royal's fault. If the guy was that bad off, then he probably would have found another way if not on the ship.

Ask his lawyer. He is the one who says the guy jumped because of anti-gay slurs made toward him.

I watch the video over and over and it looks like to me just before he fell he takes his right hand off lunges back just a little bit and purposely pulled away from the guy that was holding onto him.

It's pretty clear that he wanted to get away from who ever was holding on to him, his hand was on top of the metal with his fingers wrapped over the top, then he moves it to the side to help him pull away from the people helping him.

If i didn't want to fall i would have my hands over the top to help hold on, not to be on the side where there is no grip to pull yourself up!

You can even see when he puts his hand on the side of the metal davit, his head is pulling away from the people helping him, like he is trying to get away from them!

I think this video will be a savior for RCCL to prove that this man wanted to go overboard despite people trying to save him!

The "drag rope" is the "sea painter". This line is used by the boat crew to keep the boat alongside the ship while lowering, releasing, and hooking back up to the falls. If the line could be attached near the waterline, it might be able to do, to a degree, what you thought, but given that it leads upwards when the boat is in the water, any significant strain on it (such as the boat being dragged by the water flowing past the ship's hull) will tend to lift the bow of the boat and capsize it. This is the mistake the "whale warriors" made.

Because the FRB is hanging by one wire rope, and the ship is pitching and rolling, there is a significant chance of the boat slamming into the hull, repeatedly, and damaging the boat while it is being lowered/raised. This painter is tended (controlled pay out/heave in) while the boat is being lowered to try and keep the boat against the hull.

Also, when hooking the boat back up, the coxswain can back down slightly against the painter to keep the boat in position while the crew of the boat attempt the tricky part of hooking up the falls without getting bashed in the head by the swinging hook.

I looked at the video posted of a FRB launch, and that crew needs some serious re-training. Not so much the boat crew, as the crew tending the painter on deck. You can see where at one point, as the boat is being lowered, the painter comes tight, and raises the bow of the boat. Rather than have the crew on deck pay out the painter, the boat crew releases it. When the boat hits the water, it immediately swings broadside to the waves and nearly overturns. Had the painter been used properly, it would have held the bow of the boat into the seas, and the boat could have launched smoothly. I can't tell from a quick view of the video, but the boat crew normally has the engine running before the boat is in the water.

There have been so many crew injuries since the implementation of FRB's that the IMO has started reviews of approved launching and recovering methods and sea states.

I have seen the frb being recovered while the ship is moving, very slowly. So I know this can be done with O/A, but I would guess its all about conditions

Edited by setsail