Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

You can even see when he puts his hand on the side of the metal davit, his head is pulling away from the people helping him, like he is trying to get away from them!

I think this video will be a savior for RCCL to prove that this man wanted to go overboard despite people trying to save him!

Or it will prove that he was out of his mind with anger and humiliation and would rather kill himself than be "saved" by the men who put him on that davit in the first place.

Don't believe that, merely pointing out that that behavior fits either narrative.

I sure hope RCCL does not "settle this" and give this guys family anything. I honestly would like to see the other passengers get together and counter sue the family for ruining their vacation! Of course, I feel incredible compassion for this man's death. I am just angry and tired of everyone suing for their own wrong actions. We need to do something to hold these folks accountable and maybe this would be it???

This is truly truly truly tragic and my heart goes out to all involved and affected.

I just read/watched the lawyers statement and his response that the big anti-gay comments was to say "hi, lipstick" over and over. Now I realize that words affect everybody differently, but c'mon. Any woman has heard far far more offensive and scarier comments simply walking down the street.

That sounds like something a 1st grader would come up with. There must have been some more egregious things said/done if they are claiming RC anti-gay staff caused this.

I agree that while it is always possible some jerk of a crew member said things that RCI and fellow crew would not condone, I cannot fathom that there was ongoing harassment from multiple staff throughout the cruise. I would not be regularly sailing any line that I felt would ever act that way, and as others have noted RCI has a long history of treating queer passengers well.

I have only watched parts of the videos--I really do not want to see anythign so awful--but, based on what people here report, I sort of wonder (based on the accusations being thrown out in audio at the time, the bits of story we are getting and then the type of accusations coming from the lawyer) if this was a plan to get money out of RCI that went terribly wrong?

Going out onto the life raft area in view of security, and then pulling away from help and going overboard after it is clear that multiple crew know exactly where you are and when you went over--maybe, just maybe, the person badly misjudged how dangerous it really would be and felt that they would almost certainly be found and rescued and then have a case of sorts?

I hate to think poorly of someone who just lost their life in a very terrible way--but I can imagine it happening. Just look at how many people here did not understand that a ship cannot stop on a dime, nor understand just how hard it is to spot someone in the water, or how dangerous the fall itself is, etc.

I agree with your sentiment here though most may not understand. I bet if they get counselling they will come out worse! I estimate I have seen over 1000 people die in my company from a variety of accident, illnesses, mishaps and crimes (don't ask). I only get a little haunted by a couple of those (usually children). But counselling just turns a bad event you move on from into a festering sore that the counsellors like to keep 'active'.

Moving on is the best way to go...if you can. The assumption that you can't is self defeating.

Where the heck do you work .. in a concentration camp ?? Your company has had over 1000 deaths of adults and children in "mishaps, crimes and accidents?" and it hasn't been shut down?

And you've personally witnessed all of them? Hmmm .. :rolleyes:

I sure hope RCCL does not "settle this" and give this guys family anything. I honestly would like to see the other passengers get together and counter sue the family for ruining their vacation! Of course, I feel incredible compassion for this man's death. I am just angry and tired of everyone suing for their own wrong actions. We need to do something to hold these folks accountable and maybe this would be it???

Unfortunately they will reach into their pockets to settle it just to make it go away. It would cost far more to go through the legal system and trial.

Holy crap, give me a break! The surviving husband, that is filing the suit, wasn't there when the "harassment" occurred. And the other party is deceased.

How the hell does this even work? Lawyers are such sleezy people.

They're saying the crew harassed him & his DH the whole cruise for being gay. Their lawyer is reporting it got really bad at one of the bars. According to them the constant taunting & harassing pushed him too far. (I'm paraphrasing). They say the crew were then inept at the rescue attempt. It appears to me to be a classic case of looking for someone to blame instead of the guilty party(ies).

Which is idiotic in itself ...RCCL loves us gays!

We stay in the nicer cabins, we spend a fortune on liquor, in the shops and specialty restaurants on board .. and the bar staff know .. be nice to the gays .. you get VERY good tips! $$$

So, what keeps rolling over in my mind is why isn't the partner to the deceased being held for at least questioning, given the domestic fight that occurred in the cabin? Jumped or pushed? Alcohol involved.....that never causes any of this sort of behavior, right?

I have been a member of this forum for a very long time.. mostly lurking for a long while now.

I am very saddened by the assumptions by some and comments by others I have read in this thread.

I cannot imagine the horror of losing my spouse (or any loved one) under any circumstances, especially having witnessed it with my own eyes.. helpless to do anything to save them.

I have cruised Royal for 25 years. I am a gay man and married to another man who has also cruised with me many times on Royal.

There are no known facts... yet.

I sincerely hope this incident is not a result of some time of harassment or improper treatment by cruise staff but to infer it's not possible is irresponsible.

Here is my take on the film. Despite his bad judgement, he likely was going to try to prove he was upset with someone and thought he'd be able to get back to the balcony after he demonstrated his anger trying to prove a point. I see him holding the side of the whatever you call it, while using it as leverage to pull himself out of the crewman's grip. I think he accomplished it but his body jerked more than he anticipated thus we now saw him move his right hand to the top to slow his body motion to the right, but with no cornered surface to grab, his body continued to lean to the right and he totally lost his left hand grip and into the sea he went.

We stay in the nicer cabins, we spend a fortune on liquor, in the shops and specialty restaurants on board .. and the bar staff know .. be nice to the gays .. you get VERY good tips! $$$

I'm glad to hear this come straight from the source. Several of my friends who are gay couples (remember....I live in KW ;)) swear by RCI and are adamant RCI is the most gay friendly. I'm not sure what that even means but certainly, I've never heard of an issue.....at least, not in recent years.

who cares if he was gay?!!! OMG! enough of the gay bashing already. it's mean and uncalled for! a man lost his life and another lost his spouse. would it have been any different (better for you) if it were a heterosexual couple? a death still would've occurred and a spouse still would've lost their mate. where are the moderators to sensor this forum? I'm finding this very offensive, and I'm not gay

who cares if he was gay?!!! OMG! enough of the gay bashing already. it's mean and uncalled for! a man lost his life and another lost his spouse. would it have been any different (better for you) if it were a heterosexual couple? a death still would've occurred and a spouse still would've lost their mate. where are the moderators to sensor this forum? I'm finding this very offensive, and I'm not gay

Exactly.. I'll quote my own post again as a reminder.

I have been a member of this forum for a very long time.. mostly lurking for a long while now.

I am very saddened by the assumptions by some and comments by others I have read in this thread.

I cannot imagine the horror of losing my spouse (or any loved one) under any circumstances, especially having witnessed it with my own eyes.. helpless to do anything to save them.

I have cruised Royal for 25 years. I am a gay man and married to another man who has also cruised with me many times on Royal.

There are no known facts... yet.

I sincerely hope this incident is not a result of some time of harassment or improper treatment by cruise staff but to infer it's not possible is irresponsible.

After neighbors called security regarding a argument/fight coming from their room, I understand Security separated the men, pulling the one husband out of the room (which I hear was trashed), and its been reported the other yelled he was going to jump overboard.

I wonder if that is what the shouting man is referring to when he says "You did this to him when you opened the door!" Not "you did this to him" WRT the claim that the crew harassed them for being gay (which I don't believe), but blaming the crew for interrupting their fight and blaming them for the man's jump off the balcony.

Which is ridiculous, of course. No matter what the crew did or didn't do, or said or didn't say, the only one responsible for the man going overboard is the man himself.

Edited by BeagleOne

Someone did touch a little bit on this earlier .. and its something I wondered about too -- why isn't this guy's partner more of a focus in this investigation ?

After all he WAS in the same cabin as this guy who jumped off his balcony ... and the jumper was screaming something like "its because of you that I'm out here ..."

Seems pretty suspicious to me that this dude is off that ship and suing already ... when he could have been involved.

I think the anti gay comments on this thread ( and others I've seen on cruise critic over time) show it's not impossible that they encountered some anti gay comments on their cruise. (Yes I reported, and yes I identify as queer). Do I know why the man went over, no clue. All we can do is speculate. The husband sounds desperate to save his partner. He sounds angry and horrified. It was his birthday cruise and he lost his husband. How f'ed up is that? No idea about the lawsuit but he's going thru stages of grief, and right now he's in anger and looking for something to blame to make sense of it. Eventually he'll have to come around to acceptance. It's just sad.

I have heard this said by crew members about both the gay cruise charters and alternate lifestyle, Bliss type cruises. Crew love to work them because the passengers are very good tippers and treat them with a lot of respect. As one crew member I know, pointed out, the crew often gets more respect from the charter passengers because they understand what it is to not always be treated respectfully. He also said that, in every basket, there are one or two bad apples, meaning disruptive passengers. But overall, the gay and alternate lifestyle are great cruises and cruise passengers to deal with. This gentleman, who works for another cruise line, has been on ships for over 20 years.

I don't think gay bias from a crew member had anything to do with this. It is possible that a passenger said something inappropriate or rude, but I strongly doubt it was the crew. I think there is another back story to this and gay is being used as the reason because it is such a political hot topic.

Edited by Straughn

It will be very interesting to hear what witnesses will say occurred. I'm sure if they (the couple) were at the Solarium bar arguing, there would be others around. Actually, there probably will be many witnesses to all these events. The life boat scene looked to have quite a few passengers watching so many people will contribute what they witnessed.

People in neighboring cabins probably even heard conversations in their cabin. I know we have heard conversations in neighboring cabins (if they were speaking loudly mind you) so those 2 cabins would probably have over heard what was being said. Do I believe that rude comments were being made to these 2 by the staff; no. I have traveled many times with gay couples (males) and have never ever heard any of them complain that anyone on RC was less that professional and cordial with them on board any of our sailings.

I am very sorry that this young man died, but there will be a lot more to this story in the end. As well, he didn't 'fall' overboard, that is a very false statement. He had to climb over the rail on the balcony.

. I'm wondering if they ground the ship until this is done? Anyone know if it's the Miami police who are in charge of this kind of onboard investigation?

Ummm .. youre kidding, right ? Indefinitely cancel subsequent sailings of a 5,400 passenger ship that some damn fool elected to jump off on his own ... ?

Come on now.

(And .. how do you "ground" a ship anyway?)

Edited by F27TW

Someone did touch a little bit on this earlier .. and its something I wondered about too -- why isn't this guy's partner more of a focus in this investigation ?

After all he WAS in the same cabin as this guy who jumped off his balcony ... and the jumper was screaming something like "its because of you that I'm out here ..."

Seems pretty suspicious to me that this dude is off that ship and suing already ... when he could have been involved.

It very well could be that he is. FBI is very hush to the media about who they are looking at. Plus, I'm always weary of civil lawsuits that are filed this quickly. It looks like an attempt to deflect attention from what really happened.

Edited by Aquahound