Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

LauraS

On Constellation now. Evening chic was last night, and I still saw lots of formal wear as well as nice suits, and cocktail dresses.

on the other nights, people still dressed nicely, just more polo shirts and nice jeans or khakis.

We dressed up because we like to, and no one that we saw had shorts or torn up pants on in any of the restaurants that we ate in.

I fit right in on Chic night. Designer jeans, chic T-shirt (or so it said), sky high red sole heels, and - handsome Officier on my arm.

05d7b235f6ebb68bb45fdc2d29632b7c.jpg

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

Edited by need2bespoiled

we are due on 2 celebrity cruises this year. my husband son and son in law being Scottish all have highland dress which they only get to wear for formal nights on cruises and weddings. It looks like these very expensive outfits are going to be packed away and hardly ever worn which seems a great shame.

It was always such a special atmosphere on formal night.

I can understand that people have more luggage restrictions these days but we always managed with just one case each even with the formals.

we are not "stuffys" as someone suggested but just people that enjoyed a special night but we will accept the changes and enjoy our cruising although none of our men would consider any form of jeans as evening chic!

Irene

As a proud Scotsman, I would tell them to continue to wear Highland Dress on the Elegant Chic nights. There is nothing smarter on a man, however I do know to my cost that if flying, it certainly eats into your luggage allowance. Not an issue if you're sailing from Southampton though as we are in July.

we are due on 2 celebrity cruises this year. my husband son and son in law being Scottish all have highland dress which they only get to wear for formal nights on cruises and weddings. It looks like these very expensive outfits are going to be packed away and hardly ever worn which seems a great shame.

It was always such a special atmosphere on formal night.

I can understand that people have more luggage restrictions these days but we always managed with just one case each even with the formals.

we are not "stuffys" as someone suggested but just people that enjoyed a special night but we will accept the changes and enjoy our cruising although none of our men would consider any form of jeans as evening chic!

Irene

I just bought a new outfit earlier this year. Looks like weddings and a couple of functions will be its only outings although I did make good use of it over the last year.

We just got off the Equinox yesterday from a 10 day cruise. This was one of the 1st under the new formal/chic policy.

I heard very few comments about the changes while aboard. The biggest complaint were from folks that had not been advised (or missed the announcement). They were mildly upset that they packed clothing that were unnecessary.

I heard one grumpy comment in the dining room from a traveler that was blissfully ignorant of the policy - she was amazed that so many men were without jackets. A waiter informed her, but she argued that it wasn't so...maybe she was the same woman that I heard on the pool deck explaining that 'there is no such thing as a smoking section' :confused:

In any case, my wife and myself were both delighted with the change - it suits our lifestyle much better. I think most folks looked quite presentable - some less so, but then some people can make a 3 piece suit look sloppy, so it is what it is.

Overall, its nowhere as 'radical' a thing as some would have us believe. The overall look and feel of the dining room and the ship didn't seem greatly affected by any means.

I am more concerned about the accumulative effect of all the small cost cutting moves that I see. No more bottled water in the cabin after the first night, the cancellation of the daytime buffet in the dining room towards the end of the cruise is a big loss, ice buckets on request only, etc. Each thing is small but added together it makes X more mass market than it ever was.

I'm hoping that this trend is reversible - maybe future changes in the board room will get them back on track. Personally, I fear that is X is diluting its brand with these policies. The differentiation between RC and X is fading - they should be trying to enhance the experience, not cheapen it.

OK, I got off topic and ranted - that wasn't my original intention. I will keep sailing with X and hope for the best. I still think it's the best vacation value.

We just got off the Equinox yesterday from a 10 day cruise. This was one of the 1st under the new formal/chic policy.

I heard very few comments about the changes while aboard. The biggest complaint were from folks that had not been advised (or missed the announcement). They were mildly upset that they packed clothing that were unnecessary.

I heard one grumpy comment in the dining room from a traveler that was blissfully ignorant of the policy - she was amazed that so many men were without jackets. A waiter informed her, but she argued that it wasn't so...maybe she was the same woman that I heard on the pool deck explaining that 'there is no such thing as a smoking section' :confused:

In any case, my wife and myself were both delighted with the change - it suits our lifestyle much better. I think most folks looked quite presentable - some less so, but then some people can make a 3 piece suit look sloppy, so it is what it is.

Overall, its nowhere as 'radical' a thing as some would have us believe. The overall look and feel of the dining room and the ship didn't seem greatly affected by any means.

I am more concerned about the accumulative effect of all the small cost cutting moves that I see. No more bottled water in the cabin after the first night, the cancellation of the daytime buffet in the dining room towards the end of the cruise is a big loss, ice buckets on request only, etc. Each thing is small but added together it makes X more mass market than it ever was.

I'm hoping that this trend is reversible - maybe future changes in the board room will get them back on track. Personally, I fear that is X is diluting its brand with these policies. The differentiation between RC and X is fading - they should be trying to enhance the experience, not cheapen it.

OK, I got off topic and ranted - that wasn't my original intention. I will keep sailing with X and hope for the best. I still think it's the best vacation value.

Just wanted to point that the cancelation of the grand buffet was a result of US Law/regulations concerning food service aboard ships. Something about no buffets in a carpeted area. This was mentioned a few times on other threads but I can't confirm it myself.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I just bought a new outfit earlier this year. Looks like weddings and a couple of functions will be its only outings although I did make good use of it over the last year.

My husband will continue to bring and wear his tux. Men never look better than they look in a good fitting tux. Really don't care for the ugly tee faded

jeans concept.

My husband will continue to bring and wear his tux. Men never look better than they look in a good fitting tux. Really don't care for the ugly tee faded

jeans concept.

Off the Silhouette last week I don't recall seeing any tux on Evening Chic. I am sure there were some but they must not have looked good enough to stand out. I don't know why you bring up faded tees but I didn't see any of those either on Evening Chic evenings. Everyone I saw was dressed nicely.

Off the Silhouette last week I don't recall seeing any tux on Evening Chic. I am sure there were some but they must not have looked good enough to stand out. I don't know why you bring up faded tees but I didn't see any of those either on Evening Chic evenings. Everyone I saw was dressed nicely.

Hi Charles, I actually did see tuxes later on in the evening, I wold imagine they were eating in the MDR second seating, everyone looked nice on the chic evenings.

On the second chic evening we were waiting for Qisine to open & happened to see a young man in very sloppy cargo shorts (stains, baggy & saggy) trying to get into Blu, they actually turned him away.

Glad to hear some are still wearing tuxes, and that most of the gentlemen dressed well. We will be on the Solstice on 1/5/16 so it will be partially

Tropical(hot). Believe New Zealand will be cooler. My husband would rather stand out with a tux than feel underdressed.

We do eat at the Late seating and occasionally had the fortune of eating

at the Capains/Senior Officers table. He feels more comfortable dressed and will have a jacket ,no tie, for other nights .

Guess this is just our generation and where we are from.

Please continue to wear you highland dress as myself and husband will continue to wear our formal wear as we enjoy this as part of the cruise.

I will also continue to wear my formal attire as well. I drive from Texas to Florida, so I can (and will) bring as much luggage as I want to.

BTW, driving also allows me to bring liquor home with me; Woo Hoo!!!!

Just wanted to point that the cancelation of the grand buffet was a result of US Law/regulations concerning food service aboard ships. Something about no buffets in a carpeted area. This was mentioned a few times on other threads but I can't confirm it myself.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

What does US law have to do with a ship registered in a foreign country serving good in international waters?

Someone better tell RCI to cut out their lunchtime MDR buffet setup...

What does US law have to do with a ship registered in a foreign country serving good in international waters?

If you think about it a rule that you can't have buffets in a carpeted area would have to apply to all food service not just buffets. So I doubt there is such a regulation.

Edited by Charles4515

we just got off of the summit after a B2B starting Dec 5th, we had select dining with a two top overlooking the 4th floor(fixed dining) so we had a great view of who wore what. I don't own a tux but bring a dark suit and tie. and like wearing it. so, chic night became a carnival cruise any night wear, a smattering of tuxes, some suits, but mostly long sleeve button down shirts with nice pants, however, there was a significant number of Hawaiian shirts, baseballs caps, t shirts for chic night. no enforcing of what the ship's idea of what chic is. We have booked the summit for the same time next year. I may bring the suit to wear just to spite those who look like they just left the local bar. The dumbing down of Celebrity has begun.

we just got off of the summit after a B2B starting Dec 5th, we had select dining with a two top overlooking the 4th floor(fixed dining) so we had a great view of who wore what. I don't own a tux but bring a dark suit and tie. and like wearing it. so, chic night became a carnival cruise any night wear, a smattering of tuxes, some suits, but mostly long sleeve button down shirts with nice pants, however, there was a significant number of Hawaiian shirts, baseballs caps, t shirts for chic night. no enforcing of what the ship's idea of what chic is. We have booked the summit for the same time next year. I may bring the suit to wear just to spite those who look like they just left the local bar. The dumbing down of Celebrity has begun.

Wear what you like because you want to, not to spite anyone else.

I do fault Celebrity for not enforcing really anything . My wife has told me I am becoming an angry old man. Its probably true. lamenting the loss any sense of

class, manners or what you might call it. Celebrity had/has always a little more niceness to it. That's why we cruise with them. They did have the decency to seat likeminded individuals near us. Maybe Celebrity needs time to figure out what chic is. Chic is not a faded tshirt from your local bar and a baseball cap frontways, sideways or backward.

I thought it was because there was no sneeze bars in the dining room buffet set up.

As far as Royal's lunch time buffet, I'm pretty sure it's mostly served and not self service (eg. a crew member makes the salad with the ingredients that you want).

I thought it was because there was no sneeze bars in the dining room buffet set up.

As far as Royal's lunch time buffet, I'm pretty sure it's mostly served and not self service (eg. a crew member makes the salad with the ingredients that you want).

I think the no buffet in a carpeted area is a bunch of hooey. It says no food prep in a carpeted area, that means the handling, butchering, processing of raw foods, and that is not what a buffet is.

RCI's breakfast in the MDR has a self-service buffet area of hot food. I don't recall if RCI's lunch in MDR just had just the salad buffet or also an area with some hot foods in trays as well.

I do fault Celebrity for not enforcing really anything . My wife has told me I am becoming an angry old man. Its probably true. lamenting the loss any sense of

class, manners or what you might call it. Celebrity had/has always a little more niceness to it. That's why we cruise with them. They did have the decency to seat likeminded individuals near us. Maybe Celebrity needs time to figure out what chic is. Chic is not a faded tshirt from your local bar and a baseball cap frontways, sideways or backward.

Celebrity defines chic as anything someone who is willing to spend $'s wears.

Wearing baseball caps inside the dining room is neither formal, nor chic but could easily be deemed crass.

I don't think many people would leave X over a dress down policy but I can see a lot of people not coming in the first instance over the previous formal policy.

Regardless whether those of us of an older persuasion may care to admit, Times they are a changing and unless us dinosaurs adapt we will become extinct sooner than we may wish

Wearing baseball caps inside the dining room is neither formal, nor chic but could easily be deemed crass.

I don't think many people would leave X over a dress down policy but I can see a lot of people not coming in the first instance over the previous formal policy.

Regardless whether those of us of an older persuasion may care to admit, Times they are a changing and unless us dinosaurs adapt we will become extinct sooner than we may wish

Your last paragraph is dead on. Many on this board can't seem to adapt. Have a Merry Christmas