food in Buffet for HAL

koss78b2

So you'd see nothing wrong with me going over to the celebrity board and telling them the celebrity product is crap. When I took my last celebrity cruise I made a post regarding keeping your balcony door open and how I think it's wrong. Some people had a cow. If I went over there and told them celebrity was crap I likely wouldn't make it out alive:eek:.

ROFL. Yeah, they also do have their cheerleaders. But I have blasted X for their cut-backs and am still alive :). And it is interesting the Cruise Critic's own poll/rating has Celebrity in 5 of the top 10 slots for large ship dining with the only HAL ship being the Nieuw Amsterdam (we have never been on this ship). We are not big fans of the older (smaller) Celebrity ships. But their "S" Class vessels are among our current overall favorites. As to HAL, our favorite ship remains the Prinsendam...but we would love to try the Nieuw Amsterdam if they ever ban balcony smoking.

Our recent Regal Princess cruise (2 weeks ago) was quite interesting. There were some things to love about this ship (especially the buffets and 24 hour International Cafe) but the design flaws are glaring and have been criticized by many including moi. And we were pleasantly surprised with the entertainment....which blew anything we have seen on HAL out of the water. And the late adult comedy shows (at 11:30) were standing room only and excellent. Have you ever attended a late night comedy show on HAL? Is anyone even awake at 11:30? And we were impressed that we could go to the seafood bar on the Regal and get a dozen raw oysters (shucked as we watched) or fresh Sushi (made to order).

There is much to like and dislike about most cruise lines....and HAL is no exception.

Edited by Hlitner

ROFL. Yeah, they also do have their cheerleaders. But I have blasted X for their cut-backs and am still alive :). And it is interesting the Cruise Critic's own poll/rating has Celebrity in 5 of the top 10 slots for large ship dining with the only HAL ship being the Nieuw Amsterdam (we have never been on this ship). We are not big fans of the older (smaller) Celebrity ships. But their "S" Class vessels are among our current overall favorites. As to HAL, our favorite ship remains the Prinsendam...but we would love to try the Nieuw Amsterdam if they ever ban balcony smoking.

Our recent Regal Princess cruise (2 weeks ago) was quite interesting. There were some things to love about this ship (especially the buffets and 24 hour International Cafe) but the design flaws are glaring and have been criticized by many including moi. And we were pleasantly surprised with the entertainment....which blew anything we have seen on HAL out of the water. And the late adult comedy shows (at 11:30) were standing room only and excellent. Have you ever attended a late night comedy show on HAL? Is anyone even awake at 11:30? And we were impressed that we could go to the seafood bar on the Regal and get a dozen raw oysters (shucked as we watched) or fresh Sushi (made to order).

There is much to like and dislike about most cruise lines....and HAL is no exception.

I rarely attend shows on Hal. About the only one I go to is the bb king show. I don't think anyone would dispute Hal is lacking in that area. I'm having a hard time believing you've had any critique of celebrity. Seems like nothing but sunshine and rainbows from what I've seen you write. Frankly I don't get it. If Hal had a late night comedy show I wouldn't be there. They have enough other things I like that I don't need to complain about the entertainment. Ever had breakfast in the MDR on princess? It's pathetic. Hal's, fabulous.

I rarely attend shows on Hal. About the only one I go to is the bb king show. I don't think anyone would dispute Hal is lacking in that area. I'm having a hard time believing you've had any critique of celebrity. Seems like nothing but sunshine and rainbows from what I've seen you write. Frankly I don't get it. If Hal had a late night comedy show I wouldn't be there. They have enough other things I like that I don't need to complain about the entertainment. Ever had breakfast in the MDR on princess? It's pathetic. Hal's, fabulous.

Agree about the MDR breakfast. On the Regal we went one time (just to check it out since we prefer the lido buffet or International Cafe) and it was awful. Service was bad, and the food was not particularly good. Not even close to MDR breakfast on HAL. It almost seemed like Princess put most of their emphasis on the buffet (for breakfast and lunch) where there was excellent service. In fact, in the buffet you did not even get your own drinks...but rather they had waiter service to bring any drink (such as juice, coffee, etc). Another big plus for HAL (over Princess) is room service breakfast. But, in the past, we have had issues trying to eat breakfast on our HAL balcony since we had to share our food with both cigarette and cigar smoke. So like I have often posted, there are pros and cons to each cruise line (and even specific ships).

Hank

Have you ever attended a late night comedy show on HAL? Is anyone even awake at 11:30?
Ancient history. Saw a woman comedian's adults only late show. Was it Judy Kolba? The Elton John imitator was on the same cruise. Don't remember which cruise, it must have been before 2006.

We ate at a Golden Corral buffet earlier this month. It dawned on me that the food was as good as HAL's buffet. I had a perfectly cooked rare steak, they were carving ham and rare to well done roast beef. Fried chicken and roast chicken were excellent. The salad bar offered baby shrimp, plenty of greens and toppings. Hand dipped ice cream was as good as Holland America's. There was a selection of cooked green vegetables. Broccoli was cooked perfectly, my wife liked the spinach. Holland America short changes me in the green vegetable department. There is usually just one cooked green vegetable in the Lido and the main dining room portions are tiny, a broccoli serving might be one floret.

I will never see lamb or fresh squeezed OJ at a Golden Corral. Golden Corral's ambiance can't compare to HAL's, but might be no worse that an embarkation Lido lunch on a child heavy cruise. I saw no bathrobes or swim suits at Golden Corral. As far as offerings and flavor go, I call it a draw.

Not sure why some people are posting about shows...the question is about buffets

I think the buffet on HAL is good. I especially like the variety on the lunch buffets with Asian foods. Breakfast is good with different types of egg dishes and eggs Benedict type of items.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I like the lido buffet just fine. I've sailed on 5 other cruiselines, but none other than HAL for the past ten years, so I wouldn't dare compare apples to oranges right now. That is about to change, since we are going to NCL soon. I'll let you know what I find.:)

I cannot compare to any other cruise line, but can between 5 of the HAL ships:)

All of them have the best food when I am on them. Foods are hot when they are supposed to be and cold ...... I've never had a bad dish on any of the 5 HAL ships I've cruised on:)

Joanie

If you haven't been on any cruise lines, you can't compare to any others.

To the Op, there have been cut backs on all of the lines that we travel but HAL has a good breakfast and

we always eat breakfast in the lido. They have a great eggs Benedict station.

We were last on HAL in May and at first we thought the drive in burgers were good at lunch but didn't taste as good by the end of the cruise. They were way better than the burger at the Pinnacle Grille, which were completely inedible.

Edited by Jade13

I like the Lido buffet for what it is - good food, usually well-prepared. There's nothing outrageously luxurious extravagant about it, but I also think that they do a good job with what they have, and that it's steps above what someone else comapred to Golden Corral.

Some of the things I like, and some things I wish they would improve:

Breakfast

-I like that I can get eggs made to order. Some other buffets just have a steam tray of scambled eggs, or worse - powered eggs.

-Same with the waffles, omelets, toast, and eggs benedict - I like that I can get them all hot and made to order.

-I wish there was more consistency on the fresh squeezed juices. The quality, quantity, temperature, and where you can get it seem random.

-Wish they had REAL maple syrup, not the fake stuff.

-I wish there was more variety to the fresh fruit.

Lunch

-I particularly like the Asian station and stir frys. I choose to this for my meal on most days.

-The salad bar is good for what they have, I do wish they would have more housemade dressings. Evenings in the MDR usually include an entree sized salad with an interesting dressing. I wish those dressings would find their way to the Lido salad bar

-Speaking of the salad bar, I wish they would have some grilled chicken to toss on a salad, so I could turn that into a lunch entree.

-I find the soups consistently good.

-I like the freshly made rolls and butter, but I wish that the cheese selection was better. More variety, more quality cheese - less giant orange blocks of rubber.

-My DH is a fan of the pastas.

-I like that they have a roasted, carved meat each day.

-Above all, I wish those darned iced tea glasses were larger! We take a few to our table, and I see other people doing the same.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

Re: The Maple Syrup comment (in the previous post). We have been on 3 very long Prinsendam cruises and they always had real maple syrup and some great jams in small individual glass jars (we cannot remember the brand). But we have never seen these on other HAL ships.

Hank

I like the lido buffet just fine. I've sailed on 5 other cruiselines, but none other than HAL for the past ten years, so I wouldn't dare compare apples to oranges right now. That is about to change, since we are going to NCL soon. I'll let you know what I find.:)

On all of my NCL cruises, most recently May 2014, the cheese selection is outstanding, waaayy better than the Lido on HAL.

Like to ask what you all thought of the buffets in HAl

thinking of a cruise on the ms Volendam for Alaska

done cruises with Carnival and NCL. Just like to ask thoughts? on buffet. better or worst, and food options overall on ship

I have cruised on NCL (mostly) HAL (not wildly different from each other) and some miscellaneous ships (definitely lower end but adequate food). All this is strictly my opinion - food is very subjective.

Buffet food - overall I would rate HALs the best but NCL was fine. In my opinion, HAL had better breakfast offerings (I LOVED the various poached egg options and the waffles). However NCL had the best bread-like products (especially croissants).

For Lunch I liked HALs select-your-own sandwich options and I loved the taco bar but I felt NCL had better salad options and ice cream.

For dinner overall I rate HALs best. I liked the fish and meat options a lot. However the NCL dessert options were way better (especially on the Pride of America - the crepes were to die for). NCL also had excellent veggie main options.

So for breakfast HAL definitely won and really for lunch too (LOVED that taco bar). Dinner was more of a toss-up. HAL seemed to have better meat and fish but NCL desserts and salads and veggie mains were good. The best pasta I ever had was actually on one of the miscellaneous low-end ships - every day at lunch they had a chef doing a fresh pasta of the day - simply delicious.

I'm a person that has cruised on Hal, celebrity, princess and carnival. The buffet used to be good on princess but Hal is much better. The very worst was celebrity and it wasn't 20 years ago. Even carnival was better than celebrity. I would say that I have a pretty good basis for comparison.

One thing I don't do is go over to the celebrity board and tell them everything on the line is crap and they don't know any difference because they are cheerleaders. That is disrespectful.

I certainly wouldn't argue with you on that, but I will say there is another line where I preferred the buffet, but not one of those. Personally I dislike the buffet, because of the crowds. I hate having to search for a table. However, the food is certainly adequate to good. But I would also like to know which ship changed your mind about the buffet - hoping its the NA because that's my next one - because several times you have said any cruise where you don't set foot in the Lido buffet is a good cruise.

Your first sentence says it all. Apparently you have no basis of comparison with other lines...which is an issue we see with cheerleaders from every cruise line. Consider a person who has spent their life driving an old VW Beetle. They think its the best car on earth because they have never experienced any other car.

We often have met folks (and this is not about you) who trash other cruise lines. And our question is always, when was the last time you cruised on that line..and which ship. The answer will often be either "I have never been on that line but just know from other people" or "Twenty-five years ago I cruised on that line and it was awful." Enough said.

So when we think about HAL we think in terms of HAL when compared to the other lines upon which we have cruised. Up until about 3 years ago, HAL fared very well. Lately...well lately we have cancelled our only booked HAL and continue to cruise on other lines. But we are not anti-HAL and would be back on the line tomorrow if they were to start making some good management decisions involving cut-backs, deferred maintenance, and the antiquated smoking policy.

Hank

I'm a big Hlitner fan. Compared to most people who post on this board, I'm a relative newcomer and inexperienced cruiser. I find Hank's submissions to be informative, well-written, and balanced. I've found the information, his opinions, and analysis to be quite useful. It's also kind of refreshing to know that Hank has the courage to challenge the mundane and repetitive musings of the HAL Cheerleaders.

I'm a big Hlitner fan. Compared to most people who post on this board, I'm a relative newcomer and inexperienced cruiser. I find Hank's submissions to be informative, well-written, and balanced. I've found the information, his opinions, and analysis to be quite useful. It's also kind of refreshing to know that Hank has the courage to challenge the mundane and repetitive musings of the HAL Cheerleaders.

Ah, but who has the courage to stand up to the "HAL Haters"?

In reality, there are no cheerleaders just people with differing experiences.

done cruises with Carnival and NCL. Just like to ask thoughts? on buffet. better or worst, and food options overall on ship

Better than the two cruise lines you listed IMO. OVERALL food better than both, ESPECIALLY in the MDR...

I thought the buffet food was very good. I didn't necessarily think it was organized the best AND it was more crowded and a little harder to navigate around and thru the buffet areas both while getting food or just passing by.

I didn't like the HOURS of the lido buffet... Closing down at 2pm and 830pm is too early.

So you'd see nothing wrong with me going over to the celebrity board and telling them the celebrity product is crap. When I took my last celebrity cruise I made a post regarding keeping your balcony door open and how I think it's wrong. Some people had a cow. If I went over there and told them celebrity was crap I likely wouldn't make it out alive:eek:.

The biggest problem with HAL buffet are the limited hours. Celebrity always has some food out.

At least Celebrity has good entertainment. We were on HAL in May on Maasdam and entertainment almost non existent. They had a stage set up near the pool but never heard anyone play all week. The first night was less than the usual first night introducing the entertainers. I recall there were two comedians, last night dancing with the Stars watching the guests dance and another a movie in the theatre. This just showed all of the cut backs. No decent entertainment on the ship.

Edited by Jade13

The biggest problem with HAL buffet are the limited hours. Celebrity always has some food out.

At least Celebrity has good entertainment. We were on HAL in May on Maasdam and entertainment almost non existent. They had a stage set up near the pool but never heard anyone play all week. The first night was less than the usual first night introducing the entertainers. I recall there were two comedians, last night dancing with the Stars watching the guests dance and another a movie in the theatre. This just showed all of the cut backs. No decent entertainment on the ship.

Personally I'd rather have something edible than have food out night and day.

Cheerleader = anyone that likes anything on Hal :D.

Edited by cruz chic

Tip: I always tuck a small bottle of real maple syrup in my luggage...to enjoy at breakfast.

Good idea :) There is nothing like real maple syrup!

I once made the mistake of ordering a waffle (so many people on CC sing the praises of HAL waffles) and was so revolted by it, I'll never order another one. We don't ever order pancakes onboard. If we did, though, we'd be taking your hint :)

We have been on HAL ships that have great buffets, and others that were not-so-great. We find the breakfast buffet to be pretty consistent ship-to-ship. Lunches, though, have varied from wonderful to ordinary.

We tried the Dive In burger place on our last cruise, and it was good. I found the burger that I ordered to be far too much food for me but my DH thought the portion was perfect.

My favorite lunch place is the Pinnacle Grill. Even my husband Mr Frugal thinks it is the best value onboard. Quiet, relaxing, great service and a good menu. For $10/person it is a great value!

DW and I enjoy the buffet on both Celebrity and HAL. The best vegetarian pizza I've ever eaten, possibly the best pizza period, was on the Eclipse last year, but I find all of their food good. All things considered, both do an excellent job. Not every dish is perfect and I don't really like the coffee in either, but overall they do very well IMO.

DW and I enjoy the buffet on both Celebrity and HAL. The best vegetarian pizza I've ever eaten, possibly the best pizza period, was on the Eclipse last year, but I find all of their food good. All things considered, both do an excellent job. Not every dish is perfect and I don't really like the coffee in either, but overall they do very well IMO.

Oh thanks for the reminder of something "best" :D We had the best turkey I have ever tasted on the Statendam from the carvery section at lunch. Seriously the best ever :D (I'm a pretty good cook, and that turkey put my best efforts to shame...)

The limited lunch hour is my biggest complaint. Even on a day when tender operations bogged down ( huge lines for tenders) the Lido on Prinsendam shut down at 2pm. This ship doesn't have a taco bar, pizza shop or sandwich station. The only option was the poolside grill or salad and cold cardboard pizza Inside. The pizza looked and tasted like what you get at a gas station convenience store.

We've noticed much less variety at the carving station, lots and lots of rotisserie chicken which I enjoy but not every day. Their carved turkey and roast beef are good.

There was no tableside service in the Lido on our last HAL cruise, just a guy busing tables. Self service for drinks.

HAL Lido breakfast is good.