Why so many horrific reviews about Reflection?

dogsambam

We will be sailing on the Reflection on this year's Christmas sailing. I have been on lots of cruises, and I have never heard so much negativity.

Our first Celebrity sailing was in 1994, have sailed 7 different lines, Diamond on RCCL, Elite on Celebrity. The Reflection is my Wife's favorite ship an crew in 25 years. You need to find someone else to listen too!

We had 28 guests plus 7 more folks with us also on the 1st. Reflection cruise from POM on 11/7. Overall everyone has said they had a great cruise. We were warned about delayed embarkation. It did start about 1/2 hour later than notified, but then it stopped with no comments, no apparent reason. Many in our group who got to the terminal by 1PM (just 1/2 hour after boarding started) had to endure standing in line outside for 2 to 3 hours. I truly believe it was due to insufficient shore side staff as many terminals were left unattended. Also tendering for Coco Cay was very slow but it was great at Grand Cayman.

Our hump cabins deck 7 were great; centrally located, quiet and convenient to stairways & elevators. Our steward gladly opened the balcony partitions. It was like having a huge country porch! Entertainment was fine especially Dec. 63. Alex was a good CD, but I did miss the Not so Newlywed Game. Food was OK: I never went away hungry but I've seen a sign that the selection is going downhill. Buffet was very good; I just don't go at noon. I wish the buffet stayed open longer for lunch than 2 PM. There is little else to eat accept pizza and burgers until 4 PM. Did not love Select Dining for our group. Had many problems even though pre-reservations had been made. First fault was the asst. Maitre' de who kept giving my quests incorrect information including your table is full when we were waiting for them, and 2nd was their computer system. Will never book a group on Select again. Loved Café al Bacio and got whatever I ordered with my Classic package. Never had an issue even ordering Cosmo's once I found that the Passport and Ensemble bars would serve them. Music at the Martini bar was loud when the entertainer wasn't performing. Love this bar but have learned to move elsewhere. Disembarkation was a breeze. We are Elite but choose to wait with our friends from CA who we were traveling North with. That time span ran about 1/2 hour late but was speedy once our numbers were called. We got a Porter, which I highly recommend and he got us a Van taxi for the 4 of us. Hint, it is not easy getting a van to take you to a "nearby" hotel. It was worth a good tip to him. Other's used the Self or walk off disembarkation and said they were off ship by 7:30AM and back at their car by 8 AM at the hotel.

Overall we will book Celebrity again. Maybe not sail the first cruise after a TA! We are booked on a TA though next November.

I have to add my two cents worth also. DH and I cruised a b2b med/Ta cruise in 2013. It was of the best cruises we ever did. The first leg was great due to many new Med ports that we had never seen before. We were also lucky enough to have great dining companions that we met at dinner and were friends by the end of the cruise. Thought it couldn't get any better and then BAM...it did. We were on Reflection TA and enjoyed the crew, friends, and loved the Sunset Bar.

The cruise was wonderful so we will be on her again for the October16 TA. Can't wait.

Cindy

We also had an outstanding Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Reflection. We would go back in a heartbeat. No ship is perfect. In order to accommodate the extra passengers due to an extra deck compared to the previous S-class ships, the seats in the Celebrity Theater are considerably narrower and less comfortable. Blu feels a tad more crowded. But, these were so minor annoyances, they never really detracted from our overall enjoyment of the ship and the cruise.

However, if I had to choose one of the earlier S-class ships or the Reflection with the same itinerary, I would prefer the slightly smaller Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse or Silhouette. More likely, our choice would be based on the itinerary. If the Reflection was doing that itinerary, we would be on it.

Pete...I think you are looking at this the wrong way....First it has nothing to do with you...or any other passenger and NOTHING to do with what cabin class anyone is in. It has to do with Celebrity giving a nice perk (Michael's club) to the upper level suites....with a concierge that they can actually use, since there are not that many with access.....

THEN, abruptly saying OK, now you have to share it with 3 times as many people. Some are saying that it won't be too bad but, you know people are going to pack in there.....especially before dinner to load up on free drinks. Now there are going to be friends that can now use it...and that's good but, you have to see that no one likes to be given something then be told they have to share it with several others. For me it really won't matter too much as I will have a Premium drink pass but, don't know about the reduced access to the concierge. As to things like the face recognition....come on...who does not like that kind of thing.....people remembering what you drink...using your name when you come in....I think EVERYONE likes that kind of service.

I have noted that too. It seems the "entitled" are complaining about things they thought they were entitled to and did not get and then have to put up with us riff-raff.

I have been in a suite, in Aqua, concierge class and our next cruise will be a lowly balcony but, each time we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We do not expect us to be better than others and certainly would not complain about not being treated special. Name recognition? Really? I would hope someone remembers my name by my actions as opposed to the status I hold. If I brushed past into a RS occupant, am I supposed to know somehow?

I listen to what other people say with less than half an ear. A little while back a guy wrote a lengthy review in which he referred to the ship that I am sitting on right now as a "rust bucket." I can say without hesitation that it is quite the opposite.

Just feel sorry for the people who get more pleasure in complaining and can't just go on a vaca and appreciate the simple things, being alive and on a vacation.

Life is just too precious and short to waste time worrying and focusing on negatives.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Edited by uglybutgoodbakery

Pete...I think you are looking at this the wrong way....First it has nothing to do with you...or any other passenger and NOTHING to do with what cabin class anyone is in. It has to do with Celebrity giving a nice perk (Michael's club) to the upper level suites....with a concierge that they can actually use, since there are not that many with access.....

THEN, abruptly saying OK, now you have to share it with 3 times as many people. Some are saying that it won't be too bad but, you know people are going to pack in there.....especially before dinner to load up on free drinks. Now there are going to be friends that can now use it...and that's good but, you have to see that no one likes to be given something then be told they have to share it with several others. For me it really won't matter too much as I will have a Premium drink pass but, don't know about the reduced access to the concierge. As to things like the face recognition....come on...who does not like that kind of thing.....people remembering what you drink...using your name when you come in....I think EVERYONE likes that kind of service.

Hmmm, I think you are exactly the person I was speaking of. I do not see how I am looking at this the "wrong way". I am looking it this topic as discussion of why there are so many complaints and who is doing the complaining. I do not see where I said it had anything to do with me. I am not sure what you are trying to say.

In fact it does have to do with people. It does have to do with cabin class as that is what the complaints were....paraphrased as "I am Royal Suite and have to share my perks".

Certainly, if face recognition on a ship with 3000+ people is important to you, then not getting it would be a detriment to your enjoyment of the cruise (?).

Getting "free" drinks in Michaels Club is not much of a "deal" as so many folks are getting drink packages anyway and the drinks are no additional cost.

Fact is, the complainers are the few that seem to think they are being short changed form what they think they should get. I believe that the number and types of responses in this thread tend to agree more with me than you? No disrespect intended towards you but really, the OP's initial post and the responses to it seem to validate that the few that complain think themselves entitled and are upset they are being treated the same as all the rest of us.

That's how cigar bar patrons of orig Michaels Club felt when it was re purposed and they were dispatched to outer deck. Same for Elite and E + and then the upscale beer lovers when Michaels was taken from them for a new use....they had a perk..then it was removed or reimagined...same thing happened on Royal C when Diamonds were no longer allowed in the concierge lounge..Celeb always in flux.trying to please ..sometimes falling short.

As for Relection, some enjoy it.. some do not . OP should try it and decide...

We personally prefer the other S class ships in contrast to Ref due to program offered, layout and design and Miami DJ vibe..We did not have crowds in BLU and avoided outdoor pool...loud music! ...still had a great cruise...finding ways to find places & activities we enjoyed

We will be sailing on the Reflection on this year's Christmas sailing. I have been on lots of cruises, and I have never heard so much negativity. We know we will be on a full ship, with lots of families. We already know everything won't be perfect, as it never is on any trip, but why so much negativity? I am very fearful of our decision to be on this ship. Can some folks who have sailed recently please give me some positive reinforcement that this ship is still great? We went between RCCl and Princess, and decided on Celebrity for a little bit nicer experience to celebrate father-in-law 70th. We are elite members and I have full faith in the line, but I'm having my doubts.

Do not worry about the negative reviews -- they are just a few of the thousands on the ship. It is mainly the complainers who come on these boards. Many people like/love their cruise on the Reflection and other Celebrity ships. Many cruisers do not even know Cruise critic exists. Lately these boards are full of so many negative comments. Is every vacation perfect- probably not - but the complainers sure like to come on this board and make their feelings known (which they are entitled to do).

Enjoy your cruise with your family

We have sailed all 5 Solstice class ships and loved them all. The only negative for us for the Reflection is that is sails out of Miami and not Port Everglades. DH grew up in Miami and I lived there 27 years. It is not the Miami we knew and loved. We prefer to sail out of Port Everglades and still love Ft. Lauderdale. Some folks just look for negatives on the ships. If something is not ok, I immediately see the crew member in charge and then forget it. Life is to short to bring it home with me. Enjoy your cruise on the Reflection. We are doing B2B on the Constellation our of Port Everglades in February and will love every minute of it. In the past I have read reviews of cruises we have been on and wondered if the poster really had been on the same cruise as we did not see or experience any of the negatives that appeared in the review. Maybe we had our heads in the sand. Again, have a wonderful cruise.

We are on The Reflection right now! :-)

I was just a tad disturbed by recent reviews of Reflection but we have sailed both her and the Silhouette and couldnt imagine things had gone down the tube so badly!

Guess what? They have NOT! We are always wowed by the attentiveness, the friendliness and the scope of service available to guests on all Celebrity ships. This is no exception so far!

I can say that the entertainment is where they do fail a bit. This is only having seen one show so far but was on the Silhouette 2 weeks ago and found the shows sadly lacking. Other than that I would give 10+ stars to everything on board!

We also boarded early and may I say it was a BREEZE!! The quickest easiest embarkation ever!!! There was NO waiting at any point. Handed our luggage to porters and was on ship 10 minutes later!!

Stopped as soon as we walked through the door to inquire if UDP was available. I wasnt too hopeful but he said "But of course!" Oh my...we are in heaven... We had lunch at the Porch yesterday AND today. Best service and food. Had the seafood tower today with NO upcharge. Last night was Chateaubriand ...excellent service in Murano. If you wish you could go first class but cant afford it...(kind of how we feel) This is next best! Totally feeling pampered in totally deluxe, delicious venues. I will never complain about the MDR but this is very quiet and very classy. Honestly, I would prefer this to dining in Luminae every night!

As we look around we have said many times already how much we love Celebrity and how they top service from other cruise lines many times already in the 1 1/2 days we have been onboard.

You will have have a wonderful cruise!

Oh, and for those boarding soon the ship is beautifully decorated for Christmas!

We will be sailing on the Reflection on this year's Christmas sailing. I have been on lots of cruises, and I have never heard so much negativity. We know we will be on a full ship, with lots of families. We already know everything won't be perfect, as it never is on any trip, but why so much negativity? I am very fearful of our decision to be on this ship. Can some folks who have sailed recently please give me some positive reinforcement that this ship is still great? We went between RCCl and Princess, and decided on Celebrity for a little bit nicer experience to celebrate father-in-law 70th. We are elite members and I have full faith in the line, but I'm having my doubts.

Love Reflection! I have my second Reflection cruise in the spring and so excited. My first was a Christmas sailing too. It was wonderful! I have a website blog and have always had nothing but the best to say about Reflection. Gorgeous ship with terrific staff. Also, many people only post complaints so that they can get other people to agree. Sadly, usually positive reviews don't get noticed as much. You'll have a great time - enjoy!

Hi we just returned to our snowy home after a wonderful week on the Reflection. The cruise was really great, very entertaining and relaxing at the same time. I studied the reviews and all the negative comments as well. I really wondered if OP were on the same ship. We enjoyed our room mid ship Veranda Deck 7 Rm. 7259. Excellent meals, room service every morning at sunrise, Bistro on Five for lamb chops, Pizza and sushi from OceanView. Entertainment was surprisingly good, great in fact. Live music was plentiful and encouraged bar hopping at night for different sounds. Fantastic week, wish I could do it all again. Enjoy your cruise and ignore the minor complaints this site seems to attract. Cheers

OK, I was on a B2B, Greek Islands and then TA this fall, and after getting off, have been one of the major complainers on these boards.

That said, my quick review: Beautiful, clean ship. Great crew, very friendly. Some of the best food ever on a cruise ship. Room service right on time. Loved most of the evening entertainment. So, for those new to Reflection, don't worry, I'm sure this will be your experience.

So, what's my problem? It happens that a big part of why DW and I cruise is to dance. We learned on cruise ships, dance at home, and do 2 TAs almost every year since evening dancing is popular on TAs.

Well, on the Reflection TA dance classes were held during the day, but there was essentially no dancing in the evening except during dining times. OK, time to talk to the appropriate activity staff and Cruise Director. Long story short, I, and others with an interest, were essentially just blown off, end of story.

Of course, others will say that not everyone can be pleased. I understand that. However, giving this as an example of how an issue that most guests might not even notice can ruin a cruise - not the lack of dancing, but the disrespectful attitude. I'm one that won't be sailing Reflection again.

I share your question - I'm sailing in a week and have read the same complaints. On the other hand, there has been more negativity overall on Cruise Critic lately I think.

Did you read any of the LIVE BLOG from Reflection post? He's very upbeat and has had a lot of good things to say.

We met ChicagoPaul last week. He is great. A huge fan of Celebrity- he should be getting a commission from them. Convinced us to book our next cruise on board.

OK, I was on a B2B, Greek Islands and then TA this fall, and after getting off, have been one of the major complainers on these boards.

That said, my quick review: Beautiful, clean ship. Great crew, very friendly. Some of the best food ever on a cruise ship. Room service right on time. Loved most of the evening entertainment. So, for those new to Reflection, don't worry, I'm sure this will be your experience.

So, what's my problem? It happens that a big part of why DW and I cruise is to dance. We learned on cruise ships, dance at home, and do 2 TAs almost every year since evening dancing is popular on TAs.

Well, on the Reflection TA dance classes were held during the day, but there was essentially no dancing in the evening except during dining times. OK, time to talk to the appropriate activity staff and Cruise Director. Long story short, I, and others with an interest, were essentially just blown off, end of story.

Of course, others will say that not everyone can be pleased. I understand that. However, giving this as an example of how an issue that most guests might not even notice can ruin a cruise - not the lack of dancing, but the disrespectful attitude. I'm one that won't be sailing Reflection again.

This is very much a sore point with me as well. Here is a beautiful ship with a fantastic sky lounge venue and no dancing at all. Yes, there is a bit of dancing and a band playing in a small area on deck 3 (?) with no place to sit if there are more than 40 people.

So, the only thing you really have to do after dinners sit at a bar somewhere or go to a show (that you may have seen before). Why is there not at least a DJ in the sky lounge every night? Heck, put a jukebox in and I will even feed it for music in that great space instead of it being empty night after night.

• 4 weeks later...

We have never had a bad cruise. It is almost impossible to have a bad cruise unless your ship has an outbreak and/or it breaks down. The chances of that are slim to none. Just enjoy your vacation. Here is an example of how silly some people can be on vacation. We had come down to the port early for a 3 pm sailing and some people were complaining because they had to wait until 10 am when they really didn't have to let us on until the official 12 noon boarding. We were very happy, yet those others were not. It's all a matter of perspective.

Edited by Denham33

I have never been on Reflection, but on five X ships. All cruises were excellent. Still, after I post my review here on cc, I read some reviews of people on the SAME cruise that we did. Sure enough, there may be one that gave it one star and like nothing about the cruise. The food was awful, entertainment terrible, ship was looking old, etc. For us the food was excellent, I have never had a bad meal on Celebrity. A few times in nine cruises, I have received an entree that just was not up to my expectation, so I ordered another entree, which was great.

Sure, not all the entertainment is wonderful, but few are terrible.

Read the reviews carefully and analyze what people are really unhappy about. Sometimes they have a beef about something that is very minor. Sure, I understand if someone's toilet overflows or water drips down on their bed from the next level, that is "terrible," but some people say the food was "inedible" or "terrible." If the food was inedible, did those people starve. I am sure they ate something.

Check the percentages of ratings. Most Celebrity ship have a rating at 70% or higher. In other words, expect some negative reviews, but try to look a several and make a more informed judgment.

We have never had a bad cruise. It is almost impossible to have a bad cruise unless your ship has an outbreak and/or it breaks down.

I hate to burst your bubble but having a bad cruise IS a possibility. True, many people complain about minor things. I've heard people complain that their cruise was "ruined" because they had to wait too long for an elevator.:eek:

My MSC was my worst cruise and while there were LOTS of issues (service and food mostly) we still had a great time. When the food is bad and the service is appalling it really does affect your enjoyment. But i won't be making that mistake again. Next year will be my first time on Celebrity (on Reflection) and I'm really looking forward to it. :D

Tommy3putts I read your review. Great work. That's my Itinerary.

I hate to burst your bubble but having a bad cruise IS a possibility. True, many people complain about minor things. I've heard people complain that their cruise was "ruined" because they had to wait too long for an elevator.:eek:

My MSC was my worst cruise and while there were LOTS of issues (service and food mostly) we still had a great time. When the food is bad and the service is appalling it really does affect your enjoyment. But i won't be making that mistake again. Next year will be my first time on Celebrity (on Reflection) and I'm really looking forward to it. :D

Tommy3putts I read your review. Great work. That's my Itinerary.

We just got off the Reflection on December 12. The ship is beautiful and we had a great time, but judge for yourself. Here is the link to our youtube review. While it is a review of OUR vacation, it contains a lot of shots of the ship that i think you may find interesting.

It is almost impossible to have a bad cruise unless your ship has an outbreak and/or it breaks down. The chances of that are slim to none.

I guess we're just lucky, but we've been on celebrity ships with Noro outbreaks and we've been on a Celebrity ship that broke down the first day into the cruise...cruise cancelled...get off the ship...now. It can happen.

As far as the Reflection, it carriers more passengers with some of the public spaces being smaller or not increased in size to handle the additional passengers. That doesn't make it a bad ship...but the experience can be different than on the other S-class ships. I think much of the negativism comes from a comparison, not from the reflection itself.

We were on Reflection for the first time for a week in December, there just to relax.

I thought it was the liveliest, busiest ship I've been on in years. There was always something going on in the atrium, and people seemed to be having fun everywhere. The officers were constantly involved in events and activities open to all on board. Even though I didn't participate in all the activities, there seemed to be a nice, upbeat buzz on board.

As a subtle bonus, I thought the modern decor and artworks were especially beautiful and interesting all over the ship (more so than other X ships.)