Wine of the Day

little britain

Yesterday was Chardonnay day, which as I said I cannot drink. I asked for Pinot Grigio, the previous day's wine and at both lunch and dinner it was served without question (and at dinner a new bottle opened)

Now given Bonnies response I hope by posting here I am not getting someone in trouble but I am pleased to say this week on quest it seems normal service may have resumed. I won't of course be asking to deviate from the wine of the day until the Oaked Chardonnay returns so can give no more updates til Then.

PS. Two excellent MDR dinners as well!

And I am afraid to say, that despite telling my friends of Ann's success, they are still being refused alternative wines. They have tried every bar on the ship!

Ann must have a magic touch. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

And I am afraid to say, that despite telling my friends of Ann's success, they are still being refused alternative wines. They have tried every bar on the ship!

Not good. Have they tried going to a manager to override the bartenders' decisions? I certainly hope this situation gets straightened out soon.:(

Not good. Have they tried going to a manager to override the bartenders' decisions? I certainly hope this situation gets straightened out soon.:(

Yes, they say "In every case this time, the answer has been " I will call the sommelier to come and see you " and poor old Edward has to present himself to explain that there is only one white a day " :(

Yes, they say "In every case this time, the answer has been " I will call the sommelier to come and see you " and poor old Edward has to present himself to explain that there is only one white a day " :(

Reads like your friends are trying to substitute for wines from for purchase by the glass menu.

Reads like your friends are trying to substitute for wines from for purchase by the glass menu.

I can assure you they are not! As previous Azamara cruisers they know how it works - or should that be worked.

"We have tried every bar ! Whereas before, if you asked for, say , yesterdays drop, the barman would look in his fridge for any left over. In every case this time, the answer has been " I will call the sommelier to come and see you " and poor old Edward has to present himself to explain that there is only one white a day ?

So we have given up on that one and we can buy a bottle."

Edited by little britain

This is very bush league. It cheapens Azamara's image far more than it can possibly save their bottom line. It also smacks of the problems at Celebrity where no one on their ships is allowed to make any decisions -- which is also frightening when thinking about what people love on Azamara. I hope this thread is getting their attention!

We are about to embark on our sixth Azamara cruise, the first after Journey's refit, in all of our previous cruises we have only been refused a previous day's wine on one and that was on Quest back in 2011.

We appreciate the wording that Bonnie has pointed out but it will be disappointing if this policy is now to be rigidly implemented. It's the small points that maybe the numbers people think are unimportant that can make or break the cruise experience.

In conversation with someone in Hotel Management I've learned that the policy is not based on the cost (of opening past days complimentary wines), it is about storage issues.

He points out "we offer a total of 19 complimentary wines (9 red, 9 white, 1 rose) and there is simply not the storage space to keep all 19 wines in every bar we have onboard. Some of the bars, e.g. the Pool Bar, do not even have a pantry…all their storage is right there at/behind the bar itself."

I offer this as one more piece to the puzzle.

Another piece (and this is me speaking not Hotel Management) is the operational element of having a waiter leave his/her station to search for the requested wine. And the heretofore unspoken piece to the puzzle is the behavior / tone of the person requesting. I believe charm and grace has a better chance of a favorable outcome than an interaction based on entitlement.

Red...that we really loved on the recent T/A...we ordered it every night...in both "Windows/MDR and Prime C" and it was available..until they ran out...every effort was made to get it for us...and we really appreciated that!!! I do agree...based on some other "threads" that the NZ wines were quite nice! Looking forward to the spring...and other wines to try!!! LuAnn

In conversation with someone in Hotel Management I've learned that the policy is not based on the cost (of opening past days complimentary wines), it is about storage issues.

He points out "we offer a total of 19 complimentary wines (9 red, 9 white, 1 rose) and there is simply not the storage space to keep all 19 wines in every bar we have onboard. Some of the bars, e.g. the Pool Bar, do not even have a pantry…all their storage is right there at/behind the bar itself."

Another piece (and this is me speaking not Hotel Management) is the operational element of having a waiter leave his/her station to search for the requested wine. And the heretofore unspoken piece to the puzzle is the behavior / tone of the person requesting. I believe charm and grace has a better chance of a favorable outcome than an interaction based on entitlement.

Thanks for posting again Bonnie and the explanation you give us is totally reasonable although storage will always have been an issue won't it?

Personally I totally agree with your second paragraph. We have always asked for alternative wines very politely, have ensured that the wait staff have time to locate them for us and have been very appreciative when they have poured them for us. A smile and genuine thanks goes a long way.

This all very sensible and reasonable and your last two sentences, in particular, should resonate. We should all remember that we are looking at a request and not an entitlement and approach the issue in an appropriate way.

Because, for various reasons, our last Azamara cruise was before the introduction of drinks available in bars, rather than just wine with meals, I had been looking at the complaints raised in relation to the restaurants, rather than bars. I fully agree that the bars cannot stock all the wines and people should not expect that. It is more likely that the restaurants will have supplies of previous days wines.

We are looking forward to three cruises on Azamara in 2016 and will be very happy if, occasionally, we do not care for the wine of the day and an alternative can be found for us and understanding if it cannot. If a bar can only serve a wine we do not care for then it is no hardship to select an alternative drink.

Thank you for putting this in perspective, Bonnie.

I agree. I was mainly thinking about the MDR for dinner, where I hope this will be less of a problem. We usually have "anytime" dining on cruises, but once we find a good waiter we ask for that station -- hopefully as we get to know our serving team and ask nicely, they will be willing to serve my wine of choice.

I agree. I was mainly thinking about the MDR for dinner, where I hope this will be less of a problem. We usually have "anytime" dining on cruises, but once we find a good waiter we ask for that station -- hopefully as we get to know our serving team and ask nicely, they will be willing to serve my wine of choice.

Thats what we are always doing. When they invented Anytime Dining we switched over to our times we prefer to eat and not the times, you were supposed to come to MDR. If we are satisfied with the table, the waiters, the service, we ask the gentleman at the entrance of the MDR to get the same station for the next evenings. And a good waiter remembers your wishes and needs, if you get back the next evening.

The Oaked Chardonnay made its second appearance in three days yesterday(so interesting rotation;) All I asked for was an alternative I did not ask for X and within minutes an unoaked was offered. I think if you demand X or Y you will be unsuccessful

Whilst I appreciate the comments about waiters leaving their station, the bigger distraction for waiters is certain regulars and some who are on their third/fourth legs monopolising staff - that is a much bigger issue we have observed this cruise. I'd suggest there should be alternative wine readily available at certain key points as was always the case in the past.

Just come off Quest , Singapore to Bali, first Azamara Cruise, complimentary wines were dreadful and yes if you didn't like the wine of the day too bad. Very disappointing. The cruise was also a bit of a let down as the ports of call were not good, would say that they didn't research properly. Also general information on ports if you were not on a ships tour was also very poor. Ships tours were very expensive.

We were looking forward to the Azamazing evening, what an azadisaster that was, once again it felt like nobody had gone and checked out the show , just dreadful and we were a captive audience so couldn't leave, the singers were so bad that they ended up singing western pop songs instead of Indonesian tunes.

Have to say we met some lovely people and generally had a good time. Food was average not as good as we expected according to friends who have cruised with this ship before. Had 6 days in Bali at the end of cruise and have to say that was the highlight. Will we cruise with Azamara again probably, not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting regarding the wines - we were on the cruise before you and were happy with the wines. Also had no problem getting a different wine - I don't like Chardonnay and had no problem getting a Sauvignon Blanc instead.

I think you were unlucky with the Azamazing evening. Ours in Bangkok was brilliant - great show, great fireworks and wonderful setting.

As far as ports were concerned, apart from Koh Samui ( because it was only a half day) they were great - Bangkok ( up the river, only 20 mins or so by shuttle to the centre), Ho Chi Minh City (again up the Snake river very close to the centre), Da Nang and Halong Bay. All good. We had organised private tours in Vietnam and they worked well - if you do this it doesn't matter whether the ports are good or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just come off Quest , Singapore to Bali, first Azamara Cruise, complimentary wines were dreadful and yes if you didn't like the wine of the day too bad. Very disappointing. The cruise was also a bit of a let down as the ports of call were not good, would say that they didn't research properly. Also general information on ports if you were not on a ships tour was also very poor. Ships tours were very expensive.

We were looking forward to the Azamazing evening, what an azadisaster that was, once again it felt like nobody had gone and checked out the show , just dreadful and we were a captive audience so couldn't leave, the singers were so bad that they ended up singing western pop songs instead of Indonesian tunes.

Have to say we met some lovely people and generally had a good time. Food was average not as good as we expected according to friends who have cruised with this ship before. Had 6 days in Bali at the end of cruise and have to say that was the highlight. Will we cruise with Azamara again probably, not.

Sorry to hear about your disappointing trip. May I ask if you have cruised before and if so, who with? We are Azamara fans but would like to try another cruise line so would be interested to know which ships might give an even better experience for a comparable price.

I have to say that we enjoyed most of the wines available on the cruise prior to yours, but everyone's tastes vary don't they.

Just come off Quest , Singapore to Bali, first Azamara Cruise, complimentary wines were dreadful and yes if you didn't like the wine of the day too bad.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the Singapore/Bali leg which seems to mirror that of my friends; not being able to get an alternative pour.

They disembark tomorrow - I have not heard much from them as the internet seems to be pretty pour - but I'm sure I'm sure I'll get a full de-brief when they get home, as to whether this situation changed during their 2nd cruise.

Just back from the Journey (Panama Canal 23/12) and also I found the quality of the wine of the day not great. Both white and red usually mild/light and tangy/sour. But there was no problem for asking a wine from a previous day. Even if he had to be opened.

Edited by Henk123

I am currently on the Journey. wine of the day is mostly different than it had been in the past . and not of my liking. But I am am still enjoying the cruise. Food good, service great.

Cheryl,

Sorry you don't care for the wine but hope you have a fab cruise anyway.

Best

Hazel

Hi, Hazel!

Yes, I am having a fabulous cruise ! I can work around the wine issue, but miss some of the past wines which I found good. Azamara website now states that the boutique wines vary. When are you cruising again?

Cheryl

Whilst I appreciate the comments about waiters leaving their station, the bigger distraction for waiters is certain regulars and some who are on their third/fourth legs monopolising staff - that is a much bigger issue we have observed this cruise.

I agree with uktog. At one meal in Windows, a couple kept a waiter talking for such a long time that, in the end, I helped myself to the wine. Until then, he was too polite to make an escape from them.

Hi, Hazel!

Yes, I am having a fabulous cruise ! I can work around the wine issue, but miss some of the past wines which I found good. Azamara website now states that the boutique wines vary. When are you cruising again?

Cheryl

Hope to be back on Azamara May/June