Down! Down! Down!

The dollar's been going down for a while. There's still people with money, and people who are used to travelling so want to continue. And the share market is back where it was about 18 months ago, when many still travelled, so funds themselves aren't short. As ever, it's just where people decide to prioritise their spending.

Already inbound tourism is booming eg Hamilton Island have had about 8 straight record months last year.

However apparently world tourism has already been impacted by the terrorism issues.

I have scrubbed the US off our to do list for now. I have been there enough times anyway.

The drop in super will really hit people who are drawing their income from it. If it is for later it doesn't matter so much.

Perhaps we will see some good specials as they try to keep the ships full.

should we expect more people to stay at home next year?

No staying at home for us:D:D with time on my hands I now play the wait and watch game on cruises we fancy, I have been known to price check many times a day ;) and with USD ships I will only book if OBC's are on offer as well as knock down pricing :)

What does help with the final onboard account is being Diamond with RCL and Elite with Princess .....:D

Loyal to no cruise line or travel agency I'm not backward at coming forward asking for even better pricing... they can only say no !!!!!!

I think the decline may hit the ships touring around here on US$. We certainly actively avoid them. AU$ ships to destinations in our region should continue to boom.

The US$ ships are offering quite good deals, including drinks packages, included grats, and OBC, so as long as you restrain yourself from spending too much extra onboard they work out almost as cheap as the AU$ ships.

And if they are offering a good rate on OBC it pays to buy before your cruise.

But it is important to think of all the things you might spend money on onboard otherwise you could get a shock at the end of the cruise.

For several years these boards have been full of Aussies boasting and gloating re their

cruise bookings with American T/A's, because of the strong dollar. It used to annoy me. Strange how quiet they are now?

I would never book with a foreign T/A. Give your kid a job. Even if it is someone on the phone or puter at Carnival Australia Head Office, North Sydney.

Yes people the AUD is gonzo.

I was recently in the UK and you have to more than double the price of everything there GBP/AUD. Go into a pub, order a glass of house vino, £7 thanks, $14 !!! Glass of house wine at my golf club http://www.clubcatalina.com.au is $4, the more you drink the more you save !!

Edited by NSWP

For several years these boards have been full of Aussies boasting and gloating re their

cruise bookings with American T/A's, because of the strong dollar. It used to annoy me. Strange how quiet they are now?

I would never book with a foreign T/A. Give your kid a job. Even if it is someone on the phone or puter at Carnival Australia Head Office, North Sydney.

We try to buy local too Uncie Les, but gee they make it hard sometimes.

I was recently in the UK and you have to more than double the price of everything there GBP/AUD. Go into a pub, order a glass of house vino, £7 thanks, $14 !!! Glass of house wine at my golf club http://www.clubcatalina.com.au is $4, the more you drink the more you save !!

Not so strange about the crowing (or lack of it), the deals are still there, it is that they are eroded by the exchange rate. I predict the AUD to drop further still. Local cruising and last minute sales seems to be the only way to stretch our cruise dollar$ further.

You are quite right Uncle Les.. also once folk work out the exchange rates , I think the amount of on line shopping from the States will drop..:eek:

perhaps there is some hope that local kids may be able to get a job at the local shopping centre or Mall...:)

Not so strange about the crowing (or lack of it), the deals are still there, it is that they are eroded by the exchange rate. I predict the AUD to drop further still. Local cruising and last minute sales seems to be the only way to stretch our cruise dollar$ further.

Pretty spot on there Mic, go for the deals and local cruising with no flights. Plus the effect on many of us retirees on defined benefit pensions losing all or most of their part aged pension from this month due to the government reassessment.

That will have an impact on cruise spending for many affected, inc this little black duck.

Edited by NSWP

The fall in oil prices means that the ships' fuel bills have come down dramatically. That means that they haven't had to put the prices up to counter the falling A$.

This means that there is very little change in the cruising habits when it comes to the ships working in AUD. Onboard expenses on the USD ships are going through the roof, making them less attractive.

I'm guessing that the USD ships will drop the cost of their onboard expenses if they find that they're losing too many passengers to the AUD ships.

The fall in oil prices means that the ships' fuel bills have come down dramatically. That means that they haven't had to put the prices up to counter the falling A$.

This means that there is very little change in the cruising habits when it comes to the ships working in AUD. Onboard expenses on the USD ships are going through the roof, making them less attractive.

I'm guessing that the USD ships will drop the cost of their onboard expenses if they find that they're losing too many passengers to the AUD ships.

Let us hope you are right about them dropping the fares or the on board expenses to compete although I don't think they are too bad at the moment if they (X) are including the perks.

Bummed because around Sep this year we finally have a 3 week slot together and we really wanted to do the States. But the predicted dollar decline would just wipe out all my spending money. So thinking Asia maybe, hopefully with a cruise leg in there somewhere.

It depends on what you want to see in the US, but Canada is a pretty fair substitute as far as scenery goes. Vancouver and Calgary are both very nice. September is the start of Fall in Canada, spectacular colours.

The big benefit is that the AUD and the CAD are basically at parity and will probably stay that way since we both have similar economic problems.

When I check out Celebrity or RCL websites for deals my pricing comes up in NZ dollars so I know exactly how much my cruise is going to cost me. Once the price is locked in I am not concerned about further currency fluctuations. If I checked the $NZ against the $AUD regularly I would go nuts as it is up one day and down the next then up again. One item with Celebrity that I am pleased about with the go big, better best promotion is paying for a drinks package which if booked on board would cost me about $US60 (NZ100) per day but online at the time of booking a cruise $NZ20 per day. Its a matter of working one's way around the system. 15 months ago when the $A was reasonably strong I spoke with Aussies who paid $A3500 for a cruise in Concierge and last minute booking for us was $NZ1600 plus drinks package.

When people talk about prices I always remember an adage my real estate guru once told me. "The Deal of a lifetime comes around about once a month. Its all about being in a position to take advantage of it." Purchasing cruises around the world is no different

It depends on what you want to see in the US, but Canada is a pretty fair substitute as far as scenery goes. Vancouver and Calgary are both very nice. September is the start of Fall in Canada, spectacular colours.

The big benefit is that the AUD and the CAD are basically at parity and will probably stay that way since we both have similar economic problems.

That said - in Canada prices don't include their GST, gratuities or other taxes.

We spent 5 nights in Vancouver in September. It's a lovely city. Just don't venture into the Chinatown area like we did by mistake. I highly recommended a day trip to Whistler.

We spent 5 nights in Vancouver in September. It's a lovely city. Just don't venture into the Chinatown area like we did by mistake. I highly recommended a day trip to Whistler.

It is a lovely place with many things to do and see, and it's surrounds has even more.What was the issue with Chinatown, they had some nice eateries when we were there last.

Edited by MicCanberra