Global Entry System

KirkNC

We had an email from Nexus yesterday, suggesting we may be eligible to apply for a United Kingdom system called Registered Traveller - similar to Nexus, I guess. Except it costs L70 to join, and L50 a year thereafter! Makes Nexus a really good deal!

Why is that a good deal, compared to the Global Entry? There is an annual fee and the initial cost, at least for U.S. citizens, is no bargain. What does the Global Entry cost for Canadians?

We're in Canada, and we got our Nexus cards about 7/8 years ago. I think we paid $60 then (for 5 years) - DH thinks it was $80 - he's probably right, he always is!:D (And I'm not sure if the currency was Canadian or US.) We had to jump through a few hoops to get them, with convoluted interviews at Vancouver Airport, fingerprints, eyeball scans, etc., So really, it came to more than that initial cost. After 5 years the renewal was $50 for 5 more years. Just a quick chat at the border crossing office, and we've also had to go in to give them changed Passport info, etc. Never a problem, and the cards make it easy to cross the border by car.

About 3 years ago (?) we were told we were now Trusted Travellers, and that Nexus now included Global Entry. I really don't know what the difference is between the three, except that it now includes airports. It is great, though, to be able to jump the queue at airport security (even our little Victoria airport has a Nexus/Global Entry line, now!) Some airlines make a note of your Trusted Traveller status, I believe, and that can affect security checks. I don't know all that much about it, just that it makes life easy!

What does Nexus cost, and who is elibible to apply?

Nexus costs $50 (for 5 years). US and Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible.

You don't have to live near a Canadian/US border to apply, but you'll ultimately have to visit an enrollment center for your interview, and they're all at or near the northern US border.

Nexus includes all the features of Global Entry, including expedited entry at international borders and popular ports of entry. You also get TSA PreCheck when flying on participating airlines at participating airports.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus

Nexus costs $50 (for 5 years). US and Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible.

You don't have to live near a Canadian/US border to apply, but you'll ultimately have to visit an enrollment center for your interview, and they're all at or near the northern US border.

Nexus includes all the features of Global Entry, including expedited entry at international borders and popular ports of entry. You also get TSA PreCheck when flying on participating airlines at participating airports.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus

Thanks for the info. I was all set to apply until I learned that the enrollment centers are at the opposite end of this country. Guess I will continue with the Global Entry application.

We just returned from a 2 week cruise that disembarked at Ft. Lauderdale. As I could not see any posed signs, I asked an attendant if there was a "Nexus or Global Entry" line and was directed to a completely empty lane. We showed our cards, handed over our forms and were waved through. We went outside and waited 35 minutes for our friends to clear through the regular lanes. :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I applied on the 16th. On Saturday I checked and both of us had been provisionally approved. Tried to schedule interviews, but couldn't. When I went back to my account, it had been changed to "Pending review." DH's has remained as Conditionally approved. Today, Monday, I am still being reviewed.

Has anyone experienced a change like this? I have a clean record, honest. Perhaps a computer glitch?

DH and I applied on the 16th. On Saturday I checked and both of us had been provisionally approved. Tried to schedule interviews, but couldn't. When I went back to my account, it had been changed to "Pending review." DH's has remained as Conditionally approved. Today, Monday, I am still being reviewed.

Has anyone experienced a change like this? I have a clean record, honest. Perhaps a computer glitch?

Pretty typical and the same thing happened to both DW and myself. Just be patient and check the web site every few days. They also did e-mail us when our "status" changed on the site.

Hank

My experience was similar, Tampa Girl. It took about a month for me to get to the point that I could schedule an interview. (I was worried because I had forgotten one cruise when I filled out the online form so missed three countries.) It then took about a month to schedule an interview because all of the times were booked. Once I got the interview, I had my card in about a week.

Weird, we were conditionally approved very quickly and could immediately set up the interview. We were approved two days later. The interview was pretty much a joke. The two of us sat in a room with another agent talking to a family. Our agent asked us our middle names and birth dates. Then it was on to pictures and fingerprints. Whole thing took less then ten minutes.

Ahoy!

It's worked quite well for us for the past two years we've used it (and certainly worth the application fee). I primarily applied for it since the TSA pre=check wasn't all that less expensive.

I haven't really read through the thread but make sure all your travel airline & travel service accounts have your known traveler #. It makes your life so much easier getting through the regular airport security (if they are open for your particular flights) & foreign entries.

My 'beef' (with TSA pre-heck really) is when I tell them I have a knee replacement I still need to go thru the 'Star Trek' pseudo security MRI device.

Otherwise, IMHO, the global entry program (regardless of all it's flaws) is worth the time saved standing in line at an airport terminal, border crossing or port entry.

Besides, being 'seniors', time is of the utmost importance, no? :)

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Kirk, for us scheduling the interview was the biggest challenge.

Once you get your preliminary approval you must schedule the interview within 30 days. Now that is just scheduling it. You don't have to be interviewed within the 30 days.

We could not get an appointment at the airport that serves our area so we had to go 2 1/2 hours to another one and the challenge was getting back to back interviews for my wife and myself.

But the good news is we did.

Keith

Kirk, for us scheduling the interview was the biggest challenge.

Once you get your preliminary approval you must schedule the interview within 30 days. Now that is just scheduling it. You don't have to be interviewed within the 30 days.

We could not get an appointment at the airport that serves our area so we had to go 2 1/2 hours to another one and the challenge was getting back to back interviews for my wife and myself.

But the good news is we did.

Keith

We ended up driving to Dulles which is four hours away. Our local airport did not offer the service and Charlotte only offered it during the week. So nine hours in the car for a ten minute interview :rolleyes:.

Thank you all. All kinds of weird things go through one's mind, i.e. identity theft, etc., etc. I'll try not to be paranoid now.

For anyone from the Tampa area, interviews are being scheduled for the very end of May. Think we will drive to Orlando, instead.

I signed up for Global Entry when I first read this informative thread. I was conditionally approved 6 days later. When I first tried to schedule an interview in Portland it was showing me that nothing was availability until May. I logged back in a few days later and was able to get something mid March. So, keep checking in online if the interview is scheduled for a few months in the future and you may find that they've opened days up not so far out in the future.

I just received the notice - thank you all so much for the encouragement. We have scheduled appointment in Orlando for the end of March but will continue checking the Tampa office for possible cancellations. Does anyone know if you can call the office or does it have to be done online?

Thank you all. All kinds of weird things go through one's mind, i.e. identity theft, etc., etc. I'll try not to be paranoid now.

For anyone from the Tampa area, interviews are being scheduled for the very end of May. Think we will drive to Orlando, instead.

If you can't get a good time at Orlando International, try Sanford. It was much easier for us to get an appointment there than MCO and not that much more of a drive.

I just received the notice - thank you all so much for the encouragement. We have scheduled appointment in Orlando for the end of March but will continue checking the Tampa office for possible cancellations. Does anyone know if you can call the office or does it have to be done online?

Has to be done on line. Some folks have reported success in dropping by their local enrollment office and catching a space available appointment. Others hav reported their local offices will not take walk-ins. Personally we just kept checking on line, like every morning and evening, and moved our appointments from like 90 days out to within a week or so.

Just ran across this thread, funny because we decided to get the GE too. On Saturday Feb 14th my husband says now that his days off got changed should we attempt to get the Global Entry prior to our Rome trip. He now has Friday Saturday off. So I went on line and did mine application first with GOES, then did his. My husband has worked at McCarran Airport for 33 years and has had to have Full security clearance for working there yearly. Well we figured with the long Holiday weekend we would not hear anything till Tuesday or Wednesday. Surprisingly on Sunday evening I get an emailing stating there was a changed to my account, I logged in and was Conditionally Approved to make my appointment. I logged in for that and surprisingly the appointments were about 4 weeks out for the soonest but I grabbed one on the 17th of March. Now Tom who has all these clearances waits. It was not till Friday that he was finally approved and goes before he goes into work on the 23rd of March. My understanding is they will give you a number at the interview if yiou are traveling soon. We are guessing I had a Robo Approval since mine was less than 24 hours on a holiday weekend :D

We are lucky the airport is only 10 minutes from our home. For DH he can park at work, and walk across the parking lot flash his badge and go to where the interview is :D We probably should have done this a long time ago:o

I did read on the CBP FAQ's for Global Entry that if you have a family members and you want them interviewed in the same day (due to travel), you can call the center and talk to them about scheduling back-to-back interviews. But I think that Randy is correct for a single interview, it has to be scheduled online.

My understanding is they will give you a number at the interview if yiou are traveling soon.

Actually if you have your Conditional Approval notice you have your number. There should be a 9-digit reference number starting in 98 on your notice. Once approved that becomes your GE PassID number which also is your Known Traveler Number (KTN) that goes into your airline profile to get you PreCheck. Of course the number isn't technically effective until after the interview.

Edited by Randyk47

Actually if you have your Conditional Approval notice you have your number. There should be a 9-digit reference number starting in 98 on your notice. Once approved that becomes your GE PassID number which also is your Known Traveler Number (KTN) that goes into your airline profile to get you PreCheck. Of course the number isn't technically effective until after the interview.

You are right I do have. Number that starts with 98 [emoji1303][emoji6] I thought that would probably be my number. But will wait to add it to my air ticket till the 17th.

Thanks [emoji4]

You are right I do have. Number that starts with 98 [emoji1303][emoji6] I thought that would probably be my number. But will wait to add it to my air ticket till the 17th.

Thanks [emoji4]

If you have an existing reservation then make sure you add your new PassID/KTN to both your profile and the passenger information for the booked flight.

If you have an existing reservation then make sure you add your new PassID/KTN to both your profile and the passenger information for the booked flight.

Yes, heading to Rome to board the Koningsdam 6 weeks from tomorrow [emoji3]✈️ But should probably wait till after the interview to add the number right??