Sigh. Another Couple of Questions

Safe77

Sorry to be posting so many questions. I feel like such a newb. Wait; I am a newb to cruising!

Once aboard the ship and having purchased the AIBP, can I order a bucket of beer (ice and bottled beer) or the 5-For-4 package under the AIBP?

Does AIBP kick in as soon as I board the vessel?

Also, in the MDR, is wine sold by the glass under the AIBP, or must I purchase an entire bottle of wine? Can I take the remainder of the bottle back to my cabin?

Thanks very much for your patience and responses!! :D:D Y'all are providing so much more information that Princess has!!

Sorry to be posting so many questions. I feel like such a newb. Wait; I am a newb to cruising!

Once aboard the ship and having purchased the AIBP, can I order a bucket of beer (ice and bottled beer) or the 5-For-4 package under the AIBP?

Also, in the MDR, is wine sold by the glass under the AIBP, or must I purchase an entire bottle of wine? Can I take the remainder of the bottle back to my cabin?

Thanks very much for your patience and responses!! :D:D Y'all are providing so much more information that Princess has!!

Do a search and you will find tons of answers to there questions

I don't believe you can order the bucket of beer under the AIBP, but I wont' say for sure. Never tried to.

You can absolutely get a glass of wine from the MDR wine list. And 40% off bottles under $100. You may also take the bottle back to your room, or they will keep for you. Your choice.

As soon as you purchase the package, assuming you buy it onboard, it starts. If you prepurchase, then you will get a sticker for your cruise card when you check-in.

AIBP is for single drinks only, no beer buckets. Nor any bundle sold through room service (other than the discount on wine by the bottle discussed below).

It will be active as soon as you board (or as soon as you sign up if you didn't pre-pay) but in some embarkation ports local sales tax or VAT will be charged for each drink while the ship is at the dock.

If you wish to buy a bottle of wine the AIBP gets you a 40% discount on the bottle. They will offer to hold the bottle in the dining room for you but you are free to take it with you if you choose. Or you can always just choose the included wines by the glass.

Edited by fishywood

We have purchased the AIBP in San Francisco (more than once) on embarkation day, and have never been charged sales tax. We also purchased it in Barcelona and didn't pay VAT/sales tax. The bar staff writes up the purchase on a paper ticket and it's not charged to your account until you leave the port. It was the same for my coffee card too.

We have purchased the AIBP in San Francisco (more than once) on embarkation day, and have never been charged sales tax. We also purchased it in Barcelona and didn't pay VAT/sales tax. The bar staff writes up the purchase on a paper ticket and it's not charged to your account until you leave the port. It was the same for my coffee card too.

That is correct, you are not charged any tax if purchasing the AIBP at embarkation. But if you have pre-purchased the AIBP and your server swipes your card when you order a drink before sailaway in many ports the ship is supposed to collect the appropriate tax on the value of each individual drink. Perhaps Princess defers processing those chits as well. Or the amount is so minor that most passengers do not notice it on their account. (I think there is are lot more complaints about tax being charged on the lines that include a "free" (sic) beverage package in their promotional fares)

Edited by fishywood

That is correct, you are not charged any tax if purchasing the AIBP at embarkation. But if you have pre-purchased the AIBP and your server swipes your card when you order a drink before sailaway in many ports the ship is supposed to collect the appropriate tax on the value of each individual drink. Perhaps Princess defers processing those chits as well. Or the amount is so minor that most passengers do not notice it on their account. (I think there is are lot more complaints about tax being charged on the lines that include a "free" (sic) beverage package in their promotional fares)

Oh believe me, I constantly check our bill. We've never been charged sales tax or VAT on any beverage that we have obtained with our AIBP stickers.

No buckets with the AIBP, just one drink at a time; beer, wine, martini, bottled water, etc. If you are at the bar and don't like something you ordered, they will take it back and serve you another.

You can buy bottles of wine, if you choose to. Any bottle under $100 is 40% off plus gratuity. You don't need to buy bottles unless you want to buy for someone else or they don't sell what you want by the glass. The AIBP drinks must be $10 or less, but that covers most drinks.

You could order a single beer..wait a bit...order another...ask for a bucket of ice...repeat...and make your own bucket!

We sat with some people during Happy Hour buying beers for regular price then another beer for $1. Each one ended up with 6 beers each and they took it back to their cabin. We plan on doing the Happy Hour for us, it's the cheapest way to go as we can't drink as much as we're allotted for AIBP.

cb at sea - lol!! Sounds like a good plan for building one's own bucket of beer! Buy beer. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Ask for bucket and ice. Enjoy with a friend or two. Thanks very much!! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Oh believe me, I constantly check our bill. We've never been charged sales tax or VAT on any beverage that we have obtained with our AIBP stickers.

This seems to be a much bigger issue on cruise critic than in reality.

I've never read of anyone paying tax on a cruise-long beverage package.

We have been charge tax on the drinks we have before leaving port in

FLL. No tax on the package. Not sure about other ports but would assume Florida ports are all the same.

Yes, that's been our experience also. There are a lot of ports now where one will be charged tax on the individual drinks.:(

Please don't take offense, but the OP asked about what he/she could get with the AIBP, not about taxes. I'm afraid if we keep discussing this, the ports will find a way to stop what Princess is doing to help it's cruisers. Just ask those who have cruised out of Houston.

cb at sea - lol!! Sounds like a good plan for building one's own bucket of beer! Buy beer. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Ask for bucket and ice. Enjoy with a friend or two. Thanks very much!! :-)
And thus circumventing the spirit of the AIBP. Eventually Princess will come up with a way to squelch people from sharing--perhaps insisting that all bottles of beer be opened by the server and poured into a glass.

And thus circumventing the spirit of the AIBP. Eventually Princess will come up with a way to squelch people from sharing--perhaps insisting that all bottles of beer be opened by the server and poured into a glass.

Not if you get to "know" your bartender they won't. We always ask them not to open any bottles.

Uh, for the record, I am a firm believer in playing by the rules and would never really seek to cheat the system. That's not how I roll. Wife doesn't drink, so there'd be no point to amassing all of that beer. Besides, I much prefer bourbon!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app