Zika Virus

I had a 4 day cruise scheduled on the Imagination for February 21st. I am currently 17 weeks pregnant and visited my OBGYN this Monday. When asking her about precautions she recommended that I not travel to Mexico due to the serious threat Zika is to pregnant women and their unborn children. After careful thought and consideration, my husband and I decided to cancel our cruise. We did not book with travel insurance and since we were less than 2 weeks away from travel we expected to lose the money spent on our cruise. I am very happy to report that Carnival was amazing with me and transferred my funds to a future booking. I was already planning on booking a Vista cruise for October 2017 with the kids, so I went ahead and booked and will add the baby to the booking once her/she arrives. I know that many of us get frustrated with the constant cutbacks, but I am happy to continue and book with a company who knows how to treat their customers.

I had a 4 day cruise scheduled on the Imagination for February 21st. I am currently 17 weeks pregnant and visited my OBGYN this Monday. When asking her about precautions she recommended that I not travel to Mexico due to the serious threat Zika is to pregnant women and their unborn children. After careful thought and consideration, my husband and I decided to cancel our cruise. We did not book with travel insurance and since we were less than 2 weeks away from travel we expected to lose the money spent on our cruise. I am very happy to report that Carnival was amazing with me and transferred my funds to a future booking. I was already planning on booking a Vista cruise for October 2017 with the kids, so I went ahead and booked and will add the baby to the booking once her/she arrives. I know that many of us get frustrated with the constant cutbacks, but I am happy to continue and book with a company who knows how to treat their customers.

My mother in law is freaked out about Zika and my wife isn't even pregnant yet. We have a 4 day to Cozumel scheduled in 2 weeks and then a week long in May that stops in Cozumel.

My mother in law is freaked out about Zika and my wife isn't even pregnant yet. We have a 4 day to Cozumel scheduled in 2 weeks and then a week long in May that stops in Cozumel.

They know so little about what the disease can do. I have heard it can stay in your system for a year. I'd be very careful if you do plan to start a family soon.

I would just take bug spray with deet and be careful. They say light colored clothing is best too. If you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant soon you want to take even more measures to protect yourself. Based on my research, they are not sure if it can be transmitted sexually, so you will want to take the same precautions as your wife.

"They" are advising that if you visit those areas you refrain from sex or appropriately use condoms. Pretty scary for procreating people

"They" are quietly freaking out over this and I suspect within a short period of time, those zika-rich mosquitoes will be breeding under my deck...I'm in San Antonio, celebrating my age and hysterectomy!

I would just take bug spray with deet and be careful. They say light colored clothing is best too. If you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant soon you want to take even more measures to protect yourself. Based on my research, they are not sure if it can be transmitted sexually, so you will want to take the same precautions as your wife.

A woman in Oregon was tested for the Zika and she tested positive. According to the article, they did not disclose where she traveled or if she was pregnant due to privacy. So, more and more cases will appear as people travel to those countries which is in pandemic mode. Hawaii has declared a state of emergency for the dengue fever which is transmitted by mosquitoes.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/02/oregon_finds_first_zika_case_o.html

I live in California and the mosquitoes are out in full force. I had one land on my hand the other morning and luckily I smacked it before it got it's injector in me.:eek:

Will be going to Mexico in about 2 weeks, I'll have 2 cans of Deet with me.

Thats wonderful how Carnival handled it with you so glad and after your baby is born all of you will go on the beautiful Vista.

Using mosquito repellent does not ensure you won't get bitten, it just prevents some bites.

I have lupus and mixed connective tissue disease, I am on medications that lowers my resistance so we decided not to get off the ship in those ports.

This morning on the "Today" show, they aired a segment about the Zika virus. In this report, they listed what Consumer Reports says is the best insect repellent to prevent the Zika virus. Here's that list:

http://www.today.com/health/5-mosquito-repellents-best-protect-against-zika-virus-consumer-reports-t72761

We just bought a bottle of the Sawyer spray for our May cruise.

Bill

I have lupus and mixed connective tissue disease, I am on medications that lowers my resistance so we decided not to get off the ship in those ports.

Ummm, can't the mosquitos come on board? :confused: Do you plan to stay in your cabin too? Not sure that is very smart with all these warnings.

They really aren't 100% sure that Zika causes birth defects...but they're working on it. Caution, at this point, is good, I think.

The CDC is expressing a pretty high level of concern so if a woman is pregnant or even plans to become pregnant in the near future I would not recommend travel to the endemic regions at this time.

Edited by Jana60