Flowers from a port

teegee16

Yes you can, but you can't take off. Many cruisers go to Pike Place Market here in Seattle and buy the beautiful (and cheap) bouquets to take on board before the Alaska cruises.

There may be different rules from foreign ports.

Edited by crzndeb

From Carnival's Restricted Items List, Under "Exceptions":

"Flowers and Plants: Only permitted on board if ordered through Carnival’s Fun Shops or delivered by a florist in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division."

And then there's this:

"Items Not Permitted to be Taken off the Ship in the United States

• U.S Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Port Officers perform agricultural inspections to protect the U.S from potential carriers of animal and plant pests or diseases that could cause serious damage to America's crops, livestock, pets and the environment.

• Animal products
    • Unsealed food items
    • Fruits and vegetables
    • Agriculture and Horticulture products
    • Plants / cut flowers

[*]Cuban cigars

[*]Ship property"

I hope this helps.:)

I have brought flowers aboard HAL ships a number of times and they never have any problem about it.

DO NOT take flowers OFF the ship. Almost no port/country permits plants or flowers be carried into their country.

On some lines, but not on all of them.

Well, when I posted that, this thread was on the Carnival forum, where it originated. Everything I said was correct. The thread has been moved since my post. I don't see why it was moved, it was pertinent for that cruiseline's forum. Now it's going to get all confused. I'm pretty sure the OP posted it in the Carnival forum because their upcoming cruise is on Carnival.

Edited by ShakyBeef

This varies by cruise line and even sometimes by port.

Check on the cruise line board that you will be sailing.

Keith

The OP did check on the board of the cruise line that they will be sailing. OP started this thread on the Carnival board. They are taking a Carnival cruise. While the thread was still on the Carnival board, I answered with the Carnival-specific answer. Then some admin moved the thread to here, making the whole thing a mess. It shouldn't have been moved, it made perfect sense where it was.

So I've read the laundry list of can't bring items but I'm wondering if I can purchase a floral arrangement in a port of call and bring it on board.

doubtful. bugs and other icky critters can be found even in the best maintained floral shops. it can then jump ship( pun intended) and end up in your bag or luggage or clothes are wherever and depart the ship with you and cause havoc in whatever local ecosystem you happen to be in.

they won't let people bring random bags of sand or shells on board for the same reason.. only commercially cleaned/sterilized

I sent flowers to a Captain's wife and no problem having them delivered and brought aboard. It is now probably only possible to have our own flowers aboard if we hand carry them because delivery vehicles are carefully checked as part of security and local florists may no longer be permitted entry to the port. Ships have fresh flowers delivered all the time so the business about a bug 'jumping ship' likely is not feared. HAL always has fresh flowers around the ship and in suite cabins. If there was a worry about bugs coming on the ship, that would have been stopped long ago.

As stated previously, you cannot take flowers/plants off the ship.

Although the OP seems to be asking about Carnival, I thought I would answer based on my Celebrity Experience.

I have not had a problem bringing a bouquet on board at the port of departure (Ft. Lauderdale, Amsterdam and Barcelona). As others have mentioned I have not taken them off the ship. Upon boarding I ask my room attendant for a vase and have never had a problem.

Although I've never tried, I have seen people try to bring flowers on board during a Caribbean cruise from a Caribbean port and have been told no. Whether that is standard policy or whether the flowers did not appear to come from a flourist I cannot say.

On a side note, I still miss "Just Because Of You" florist in Miami. For years I would order a nice bouquet from them and was always pleased with the price and quality. They ultimately closed when the cruise lines cracked down on companies like that delivering to ships.

So I've read the laundry list of can't bring items but I'm wondering if I can purchase a floral arrangement in a port of call and bring it on board.

Never had an issue taking that type of thing on.

It's off that's the problem.