I know big girls don't cry, but.........

KnickKnack

I am a big woman, I've never cruised but would love to. Are the room accomodations able to accommodate me?

For example, I need shower room and a commode that's not jammed in a corner. Any ideas or recommendations for a specific cruise line?

I need to leave from new york.

Thank you

What about looking into suites? They usually have larger bathrooms. On the Princess ships, the vista suites are nice. There is a separate large shower and a jacuzzi tub and a separate room with the toilet that is larger. Or accessible/handicapped rooms usually are larger too and easier to move around in. Those bathrooms accommodate wheelchairs. I read that the new Royal Caribbean ships have shower doors that are rounded making the shower easier to use so that might be an option. Try searching pictures and videos of various cabins so you can get ideas.

Edited by Nightowl11

I am a big woman, I've never cruised but would love to. Are the room accomodations able to accommodate me?

For example, I need shower room and a commode that's not jammed in a corner. Any ideas or recommendations for a specific cruise line?

I need to leave from new york.

Thank you

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would look into getting an accessible stateroom.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Please don't book an accessible unless you are really handicapped -- like in a wheelchair. There are very few of these cabins on ships and I am sure you don't want to deprive a handicapped person of being able to go on a cruise.

Take Nightowl11's advice and check out Princess ships.

If you are traveling alone, remember that a single person booking a cabin usually pays a higher fare.

We have booked handicapped cabins not knowing they were handicapped. WE were told if they were needed we would be moved to another cabin but we never were moved. These bathrooms are HUGE, you could put a bed- or two- in them. The shower is a walk in with a shower curtain, not a door, The commode is for handicapped people so have rails to get on so there is more room from a wall with the rails there.

Because there are few of them they are usually booked but we book late- often a week away so they were available. So if possible, get a handicapped cabin. Tell them you are a very big woman and need a handicapped cabin because you must have a large bathroom.

A person is considered handicapped if they have a physical or mental disability making participation in certain daily activities more difficult. An accessible cabin on a cruise ship is not limited to someone who is in a wheelchair. I would encourage you to research an accessible cabin to see whether it would meet your needs. Cruise ship cabins and washrooms can be quite small.

My daughter-in-law's mother had kidney failure so had a handicapped sticker. But if anyone saw her she seemed perfectly normal, you wouldn't think she was sick at all. (She did die of kidney failure after her transplant failed.)

You can't always see why a person is handicapped. An over weight person can have handicaps you don't see.

Go for a handicapped cabin!

My daughter-in-law's mother had kidney failure so had a handicapped sticker. But if anyone saw her she seemed perfectly normal, you wouldn't think she was sick at all. (She did die of kidney failure after her transplant failed.)

You can't always see why a person is handicapped. An over weight person can have handicaps you don't see.

My husband also is in kidney failure, but he's not "handicapped"....aside from his decreased kidney function, he isn't unable to walk or do anything that anyone else does.

We would NEVER think of taking a cabin designed for those who can't walk or step up into the bathroom or who need a wheelchair....IMO, that's like saying "I have a cold and my nose is stopped up, so I need a special room"... if she had another issue that restricted her walking...my apologies.

Edited by cb at sea

True. I have a dear, dear friend who suffers from several chronic illnesses, 2 of which cause her to be overweight, and most of the time, she uses an electric scooter. She looks normal and healthy and like she uses the scooter just because she's big and lazy, but she is actually very ill and can't help her weight at all. I've learned never to judge someone in a wheelchair or scooter, or who is large, because of her.

The regular cabins on Princess, especially the Grand class, have tiny showers. A suite or mini-suite may be better. The bathrooms and showers on Celebrity are a bit larger. You might want to talk to a TA for recommendations. Whichever cruise line you chose, I guarantee you'll have a wonderful time. Happy cruising!

I have seen lots of large, even very large, people on cruises, so size does NOT have to be a deterrent. I hope you are able to find a cruise cabin accommodation that meets your physical needs so you too can have the pleasure of cruising. There's nothing quite like it, and I mean that in a good way!

My husband also is in kidney failure, but he's not "handicapped"....aside from his decreased kidney function, he isn't unable to walk or do anything that anyone else does.

We would NEVER think of taking a cabin designed for those who can't walk or step up into the bathroom or who need a wheelchair....IMO, that's like saying "I have a cold and my nose is stopped up, so I need a special room"... if she had another issue that restricted her walking...my apologies.

Accessible cabins are not restricted to those who can't walk or need a wheelchair. Holland America, for instance, offers wheelchair accessible cabins and modified accessible cabins for passengers with partial mobility problems or passengers who have mobility problems that do not require the full time use of a wheelchair.

There are people of all sizes and shapes on cruise ships, so you won't feel out of place. We all don't look like the people in the cruise lines' brochures!

I think it's a good suggestion to look at the photos of cabins posted here on Cruise Critic to find one that meets your needs. Once you take your first cruise, you'll ask yourself why it took you so long to discover such a wonderful way to travel.

Roz

Give the lady some empathy. Disabled cabins should work. BUT, only a few on each ship, usually go early. Like Inside or Outside. No premiums allowed on these. Post this on disabled forum here also. They will know BOOK EARLY.

book a handicapped room. book early because they do fill up fast. Don't let anyone here guilt you out of it, you need to be able to clean yourself properly so look at it as a health issue. you are entitled to be clean and comfortable on your cruise just like anyone else. And technically if you are unable to fit in the shower it would be considered a 'handicap' in that regard. If you were to call the cruise line and explain they would agree. Also if you need rails to get off of the toilet then there is yet another reason to use it.

I am a size 20 and have been bigger. it is hard to move in the shower stalls. I have to put my foot on the toilet to wash my legs and such (;)) Ifyou are unstable or have bad knees this isn't an option.

I am very sensitive about handicapped issues as my daughter is a paraplegic and we struggle every day over things people never think about. Getting a handicapped room is one of them. we can never book on a whim, we have to book about a year out just to get a handicapped room. In your instance it is a health reason for needing one. On this site, overweight people are just above smokers and non-tippers. Don't be shamed out of enjoying your time.

Also there are people of every single size on a cruise. Don't ever let your size deter you in your dream vacation.

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009

I am also a larger woman, and I have been cruising for 25 years. I have never had a problem in the rooms, the airline seats getting there, well, that's another issue. :rolleyes: Once, on the Freedom of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), my boyfriend and I booked a handicapped room because he had just had a knee replacement. Here is the room.

20360_1259225652456_8033415_n.jpg?oh=c98747533e509ae8141bfda0c306f2af&oe=575D3756

And, here is the shower, there is a fold down seat on the right hand side.

20360_1259225692457_5935343_n.jpg?oh=03e9b1f0ae64e4302af89d4de9036467&oe=575AB4E6

Try cruising, I hope you love it as much as i do.

I agree with those who suggesting booking an accessible room. That should make things easier for you. I've cruised NCL, Princess, and Carnival. If you book a nonaccessible balcony I wouldn't book Princess. Their showers are TINY! Carnival has the biggest showers of the cabins I've been in and there's room around the toilet--not stuck in a corner. As others said, find photos of the cabins and that should help you make a decision.

I hope you find something that will work for you!

OP....

With all respect and certainly I don't know you but I have cruised on many ships and have seen a great many extremely large people aboard. They all looked clean so I'm guessing they bathed/showered, they were aboard for at least a week, so I'm sure they used a rest room.......

You might be over thinking what road blocks could be keeping you from trying your first cruise.

Ask specific questions about specific ships (on the CC forum for that cruise line) and surely there will be someone there who will be happy to provide approximate measurements or photos for you to review and see if that bathroom would work for you.

I think you'll be pleasant surprised and I truly hope you plan a cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you all

I'm so apprehensive, but you're making this a lot easier. Will post a review when i sail. Happy cruising all.

Not having cruised before, I understand. The bathrooms look small and you might think your size would be a problem. You would be surprised that many full figured gals (me included) make it work. For example, the shower head on some cruise lines are adjustable and have a hose. RCCL is one. I think Princess they are stationary but there is ample room in the stall.

I hope you book soon and are not scared away from cruising based on what you see in the pictures. Like someone above said (loved it) we all don't look like the brochure pictures of beautiful people.