Horrible experience on the splendor

adweenal

I am writing on behalf of family members who had a HORRIBLE time on the splendor.

they were on deck 6 just above the theatre.

The ship is under major construction, including the theatre. There was drilling, banging, crashing, and destruction ALL NIGHT LONG, for all 7 nights.

They could not sleep at all.

They begged to change cabins, but there were no available.

Carnival offered then 30% off of their cruise fare, but I do not think that is acceptable, they were not able to enjoy their cruise at all.

On top of it all, one person got food poisoning from a veggie burger.

Anyone know how to proceed? These are people who scrimp and save an entire year to go on 1 cruise, and it was such a disaster.

TIA!

How to proceed?

Move on.

One of the first lessons i learned about cruising early on is always check the deck plans prior to booking a cabin. Try to pick a cabin with cabins above and below you. Unless you book a Lido deck cabin.

That being said, I don't believe Carnival purposefully inconveniences their cruisers to make them unhappy. Sometimes things happen and I do feel that 30% off is fair.

I stayed on the ship to enjoy Serenity area. Along comes a maintenance worker who starts using a hammer to bang on the metal to get rust off right in front of me. For an hour!

Another time on Serenity while in port I had a great lounger and umbrella. Along comes 2 maintenance guys to take away all the umbrellas. I told them they couldn't have it as I'd turn red in 5 minutes. They said it had a tear and they had to fix it. I told them to bring another one to replace it before they take it. They got a manager who said they had to take it. I told him no, replace it first. After getting over their seeming shock someone said anything to them they did bring a replacement because I was not going to stay there without the umbrella for shade.

A quiet port day is a seemingly fair time to do maintenance but it was an inconvenience.

Wow, I thought this was going to be something serious with Splendor but it's only someone stating a complaint about something that could occur on ANY ship.

Back to dreaming of my upcoming Splendor cruise...

I stayed on the ship to enjoy Serenity area. Along comes a maintenance worker who starts using a hammer to bang on the metal to get rust off right in front of me. For an hour!

Another time on Serenity while in port I had a great lounger and umbrella. Along comes 2 maintenance guys to take away all the umbrellas. I told them they couldn't have it as I'd turn red in 5 minutes. They said it had a tear and they had to fix it. I told them to bring another one to replace it before they take it. They got a manager who said they had to take it. I told him no, replace it first. After getting over their seeming shock someone said anything to them they did bring a replacement because I was not going to stay there without the umbrella for shade.

A quiet port day is a seemingly fair time to do maintenance but it was an inconvenience.

I've stayed on a ship during port days and the serenity area is pretty much vacant. How hard is it to move your body to an undisturbed area? Sounds a bit like someone out to prove a point.

I've stayed on a ship during port days and the serenity area is pretty much vacant. How hard is it to move your body to an undisturbed area? Sounds a bit like someone out to prove a point.

I never understand why your posts are so nasty. It wasn't the fact there was no room, I wanted the shade of the umbrella. This ship didn't have a shaded area.

I don't see anything against it. Sharing contact information to help cruisers out is different than naming a travel agent.

It's not right for me to share the e-mail addresses of the individual people who work in the office of the CEO and I must extend professional courtesy to them by not disclosing their private e-mail info to the public. That is why I've always suggested people search Google to obtain the info.

As a compromise this is what I'll do. The link below contains a public list of executives and to e-mail them all you have to do is use their first initial and last name and append with @carnival.com. If you do contact the exec team be sure to keep your e-mail polite and professional and not use it for minor issues that can be handled by Carnival support or your PVP.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-govmanage

I am writing on behalf of family members who had a HORRIBLE time on the splendor.

The ship is under major construction, including the theatre. There was drilling, banging, crashing, and destruction ALL NIGHT LONG, for all 7 nights.

Carnival offered then 30% off of their cruise fare, but I do not think that is acceptable, they were not able to enjoy their cruise at all.

Anyone know how to proceed? These are people who scrimp and save an entire year to go on 1 cruise, and it was such a disaster.

TIA!

I've learned from years of reading cruise reviews that cruises prior to and after dry docks can be problematic. Maiden voyages too.

Food poisoning from a veggie burger? More likely a stomach virus. You can pick up one of those anywhere there are crowds.... malls, schools, airport terminals, etc.. So sorry about that, miserable on your vacation. :(

I never understand why your posts are so nasty. It wasn't the fact there was no room, I wanted the shade of the umbrella. This ship didn't have a shaded area.

I find that hard to believe. Maybe the "serenity" area wasn't shaded but I am sure the Lido deck had shade. I'm only being nasty, in-turn. You were nasty to Carnival employees who were just doing their jobs on days when maintenance is usually scheduled.

I find that hard to believe. Maybe the "serenity" area wasn't shaded but I am sure the Lido deck had shade. I'm only being nasty, in-turn. You were nasty to Carnival employees who were just doing their jobs on days when maintenance is usually scheduled.

There was no nasty to the employees. I just told they to please replace it before taking the one I was currently using. And no there was no shade.

Once we took a balcony guarantee and ended up in a cabin on Deck 6 over the showroom. While there was no construction, we were driven crazy listening to endless shows and rehearsals late into the night. We asked to change rooms, but nothing was available. We got zip, zilch, nada for our troubles. Take the 30% off and be grateful they got any compensation.

Our solution was to never take a guarantee again, except for a suite guarantee, because you know all of those cabins are well located.

My sympathies are with the OP's family. If my cabin was over the theater, I would expect noise each night until the show ends but I would not have expected construction noise throughout the night. Even with an upcoming dry dock, that is no excuse. A guest in any room should not be bothered by continuous construction noise unless they were specifically informed about it when choosing that room.

I've read posts from people with complaints about their cabins which run the gamut from noise complaints to water/toilet/flooding issues, etc. I rarely hear anyone say that they had an issue with their cabin and it was resolved in a satisfactory manner. I honestly think this is an area where Carnival needs improvement.

If Carnival gave these people a 30% credit against the cruise they were on (as opposed to a certificate for a future cruise discount), that tells me that it was a pretty major disruption.

I love Carnival but so far I haven't had any issues with any of my cruises. Luckily, thru these boards I know that if I ever do have a problem, I should mention that I might want to invoke the vacation guarantee and I should insist on speaking with the hotel manager, but new cruisers or people who aren't on these boards have no way of knowing these things.

I don't think they are going to get anything more than the 30% they already got but money isn't going to unspoil that vacation anyway. [emoji53]

I had a cabin issue on the Breeze (January 2016) that was resolved to my satisfaction. We (2 adults, 2 kids) were in a cove balcony (2290). I researched my room and knew that it was under the galley, however the comments I'd read about the cabins very close to mine all said the area was quiet, so I took the chance. The first night we kept hearing this loud, whirring noise. It would repeat every few minutes and lasted all night. I thought it was the wind so I figured I had to deal with it. Night 2 & 3 - same thing! Around 1AM on Night 3 I went to Guest Services and asked if they had another cabin we could move to because the noise was keeping us up (lol...not my kids though, they can sleep through anything). I didn't care if we were downgraded, I just wanted sleep. They said they didn't have any quad cabins but they would come to the cabin and inspect the noise. Nothing was resolved that night but the next morning Guest Services told us they could move us to 2 cabins (a balcony and interior). I said one balcony would be fine since my son could sleep with us. The cabin was 4 doors down from our original one! Guess what...complete silence! They also gave us a $200 credit, which was really appreciated but I never asked for that, all I wanted was a new cabin. I was never rude and knew there was a chance I might not get moved. I was happy with how Carnival handled our situation.

When you book a hotel on the hotel's webpage, they will tell you the hotel is under construction and give you the choice.

Really? On what planet is this? Lucky if they tell you.

I have read quite a few hotel reviews where they do NOT tell you they are under construction, and why would they tell you? Then you might not book! I have also stayed at two 5-star hotels that had construction going on at the time. We were fine!

I had a cabin issue on the Breeze (January 2016) that was resolved to my satisfaction. We (2 adults, 2 kids) were in a cove balcony (2290). I researched my room and knew that it was under the galley, however the comments I'd read about the cabins very close to mine all said the area was quiet, so I took the chance. The first night we kept hearing this loud, whirring noise. It would repeat every few minutes and lasted all night. I thought it was the wind so I figured I had to deal with it. Night 2 & 3 - same thing! Around 1AM on Night 3 I went to Guest Services and asked if they had another cabin we could move to because the noise was keeping us up (lol...not my kids though, they can sleep through anything). I didn't care if we were downgraded, I just wanted sleep. They said they didn't have any quad cabins but they would come to the cabin and inspect the noise. Nothing was resolved that night but the next morning Guest Services told us they could move us to 2 cabins (a balcony and interior). I said one balcony would be fine since my son could sleep with us. The cabin was 4 doors down from our original one! Guess what...complete silence! They also gave us a $200 credit, which was really appreciated but I never asked for that, all I wanted was a new cabin. I was never rude and knew there was a chance I might not get moved. I was happy with how Carnival handled our situation.

Sounds like it could have been a mixing machine, possibly for desert prep or prepping of meals for the next day. When I took the Chef's Table galley tour they showed us a very large mixing machine and they had several of them. All those warm chocolate melting cakes got to be made somewhere :)

Probably not sweet, not little and not Dutch but most certainly very contrary and not nice in some of her posts, it is what she does...

Probably not sweet, not little and not Dutch but most certainly very contrary and not nice in some of her posts, it is what she does...

You all are all guilty of this, but not me, I am an angel! :D :eek: Just kidding, I have done the same thing so I have to make fun of myself.

Seriously though, I read her comment and thought gee she was kind of rude. The person she was responding to was making a point and not really griping.

Thanks. And I'm of Dutch heritage. Grandfather was born and grew up in Holland.

The hostility is so uncalled for over and over.

Really? On what planet is this? Lucky if they tell you.

I have read quite a few hotel reviews where they do NOT tell you they are under construction, and why would they tell you? Then you might not book! I have also stayed at two 5-star hotels that had construction going on at the time. We were fine!

for the record, I have definitely seen official websites of hotels tell you when a hotel has construction within the hotel AND around the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

TIA!

I was on this cruise, and the seven cruises prior, for a total of 8 straight weeks. We were on deck 2 forward, Room 2216, just under the theater. While we were warned it might be noisy, we experienced none of what you mention.

The ship is currently undergoing a 2 week dry dock. The theater is undergoing changes, but we heard absolutely no extra noise from that area. (And, the grill is not in the sun.)

Sorry your friend had a bad time. For me, that trip will never be matched (even though I'm doing it again next year on The Breeze). I've never been treated better. The crew was unmatched. Friendly, courteous, attentive. The best cruise director I've ever encountered in Kevin Donohue. The best Captain and Hotel Director we've ever had the pleasure of sailing with. I couldn't even begin to name the officers and crew who were wonderful to us and went out of their way to make sure we had a good time.

The weather and stops were perfect.

A cruise is always what you make of it.

Jodi

I was on this cruise, and the seven cruises prior, for a total of 8 straight weeks. We were on deck 2 forward, Room 2216, just under the theater. While we were warned it might be noisy, we experienced none of what you mention.

The ship is currently undergoing a 2 week dry dock. The theater is undergoing changes, but we heard absolutely no extra noise from that area. (And, the grill is not in the sun.)

Sorry your friend had a bad time. For me, that trip will never be matched (even though I'm doing it again next year on The Breeze). I've never been treated better. The crew was unmatched. Friendly, courteous, attentive. The best cruise director I've ever encountered in Kevin Donohue. The best Captain and Hotel Director we've ever had the pleasure of sailing with. I couldn't even begin to name the officers and crew who were wonderful to us and went out of their way to make sure we had a good time.

The weather and stops were perfect.

A cruise is always what you make of it.

Jodi

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! I think we now have first-hand contradiction to the OP's second-hand retelling of events.

Thanks, Jodi!

TIA!

If they can't be bothered to do it themselves, they should not get anything