Why are prices so high with lower fuel prices?

LynnA

I agree that the prices are doing nothing but going up. I am afraid that Carnival is planning for greatly increase taxes that will be coming from new EPA regulations in the next administration. This is one reason they are getting ships in position to move to China and eventually Cuba.

Not sure what "taxes" from new EPA regulations you are referring to. If you mean the air emissions regulations within the US ECA (Emissions Control Area), those have been in place for over a year, and the EPA has no plan to make them any more stringent.

DW wants to try Princess. We might have to expand our cruise thoughts. I told her we are only 14 days from being Diamond. She asked what that gets and i had to think about it, just basically dinner with the captain. Big deal...

And don't even count on dinner with the Captain. I've sailed 4 times as a Diamond and there was never a dinner with the Captain. On one cruise on the Magic, there was nothing - they even failed to invite me to the regular past guest party. The CD called the last day at 4pm and asked me if I enjoyed my Diamond benefits - wrong question!

On the other 3 cruises it was a cocktail party with the Captain and senior officers. On the Breeze the Captain shook everyone's hand and then left. On the freedom it was a more intimate gathering in the Red Frog Pub with the Captain staying the entire time.

Definitely give RCCL and Princess a try, especially if less money than Carnival. We are Platinum on Princess and also Diamond on RCCL. Much better perks for Diamond on RCCL - automatically knock $225 off if we buy a balcony or better, free drinks every evening too!

As for high prices, all cruise lines have agreed to stop the last minute discounting. If you wanted a great price for a May 2016 cruise you probably would have gotten one 12-18 months ago!

Edited by DebJ14

I agree that the prices are doing nothing but going up. I am afraid that Carnival is planning for greatly increase taxes that will be coming from new EPA regulations in the next administration. This is one reason they are getting ships in position to move to China and eventually Cuba.

Not sure what "taxes" from new EPA regulations you are referring to. If you mean the air emissions regulations within the US ECA (Emissions Control Area), those have been in place for over a year, and the EPA has no plan to make them any more stringent.

For the OP, maritime fuel is far less volatile than the crude oil or gasoline market, and in fact marine bunker prices have been rising for the last couple of months, as demand increases due to more ships sailing.

The cruise ships have also seen a near doubling of fuel costs over the last year, as they have had to switch to diesel fuel over residual fuel while in the US ECA mentioned above. While they can and do switch back to residual fuel outside the ECA, diesel fuel is more than twice as expensive for use within the ECA. Even those ships that have installed scrubbers to allow them to continue to burn residual fuel within the ECA, have done so at a cost of $6-9 million per ship, so they will not see any cost savings until that capital cost is repaid, in 6-10 years.

And don't even count on dinner with the Captain. I've sailed 4 times as a Diamond and there was never a dinner with the Captain. On one cruise on the Magic, there was nothing - they even failed to invite me to the regular past guest party. The CD called the last day at 4pm and asked me if I enjoyed my Diamond benefits - wrong question!

On the other 3 cruises it was a cocktail party with the Captain and senior officers. On the Breeze the Captain shook everyone's hand and then left. On the freedom it was a more intimate gathering in the Red Frog Pub with the Captain staying the entire time.

Definitely give RCCL and Princess a try, especially if less money than Carnival. We are Platinum on Princess and also Diamond on RCCL. Much better perks for Diamond on RCCL - automatically knock $225 off if we buy a balcony or better, free drinks every evening too!

As for high prices, all cruise lines have agreed to stop the last minute discounting. If you wanted a great price for a May 2016 cruise you probably would have gotten one 12-18 months ago!

Never heard of a dinner with capt for Diamonds. We have had cocktail parties and tea on the bridge. Once we were the only Diamonds on the ship so we just sat with capt by ourselves on bridge for about 45 minutes.

Did hear they have been known to have a special lunch with officer for diamonds.

After a few days you should have asked about diamond event at guest services.

Supply and demand is what drives cruise pricing. If they can fill the ship at these higher prices, why should they lower the price?

Bingo!

All these folks crying and complaining about prices for a vacation they DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE and then attacking the executives who work for that company is just too funny.

Carnival is in business to make money. The bottom line is what counts for the executives and shareholders. Period.

Don't like it? Then don't go. Someone else will book your cabin!

I really can't believe someone wouldn't try a new line over some tiny perks that carnival offers. Especially to get on a newer ship for less money.

None of the so called freebies that any line offers are worth sailing the same line over and over especially at a higher price.

When fuel price was very high I don't ever recall cruise prices going up

They did do a surcharge if oil prices went about a certain amount. It was added to your account after you sailed.

Supply and demand is what drives cruise pricing. If they can fill the ship at these higher prices, why should they lower the price?

Ding, ding, ding. This is the correct answer. Basic economics

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

OP: So, bottom line is that you are more angry/annoyed with the fact that Carnival will not treat you special or "give" you a little more cuz you have cruised with them so long. Admit it, it makes you a little bit upset and you rather blame it on greed and they don't care about customer retention or whatever.

It is supply and demand, cruising is still one of the best bang for your buck vacations you can get out there. You have been on plenty for the same reason, its economical.

Go where you can get the most and enjoy your cruise. The ship will still sail full with or without you!

We have been on 27 cruises with Carnival.

We decided to book the May 21st cruise on the Freedom out of Galveston. I thought the prices were kind of high. Carla always wants a balcony, I don't really care.

For us to get a balcony it is $1,928.32. In the past it cost around $1,200 and the last couple of years around $1,400 to $1,500 because of fuel prices they said. Fuel prices are way down right now.

While waiting for our personal cruise planner to call me back I went on Royal Caribbean just for the hell of it and looked. On May the first they have one out of Galveston, balcony is $1,797.98 with a $100.00 onboard credit. Going the same places except it goes to Falmouth Jamaica, which is supposed to be a nicer port. Nicer ship and better ports for about $250.00 less.

When my vacation planner called back I told her about this and she said all she could do is get us an extra $30.00 per person off. I asked why it was so high and she just said that cruising is real popular right now. Basically price gouging to me. I just told her I was going to have to think about it.

I don't really think I can change cruise lines right now but it pisses me off. If we went on Royal Caribbean we would lose all our privileges, long line to board, etc. Kind of feel like I wasted my time with Carnival all these years.

We start shopping for a cruise around the same time every year, about November. Last year we looked at a possible west coast cruise to cut cost by eliminating airfare. What we found was we could cruise out of Miami for less including airfare than out of Long Beach.

This year it was quite the opposite, west coast cruises are down and anything out of Florida was about 1.5 times the cost of last year. We really liked the itinerary for the Southern Caribbean so, luckily we had Delta credit to cover the flights. Next year, we already booked out of Long Beach to take advantage of the lower costs.

Supply and demand, fluctuations in the cost of ports and fuel or just a business move to increase attention in different markets, I don't know. I do know it pays to be vigilant and do your homework. Bottom line, if Carnival doesn't provide what you want for the price you want and someone else does, time to take your dollars elsewhere.

Just my 2 observations. Happy cruising!

I totally agree prices are trending higher this year. In reality though, customers just got used to soft pricing the last few years coming out of the Great Recession, and prices are just now trying to rebound to "normal." For sure, the U.S. is becoming a nation of haves and have nots. The middle class has been gradually disappearing over the last few years. Prices have been held down by the recession and workers' wages have been mostly stagnant. Some of Carnival's potential customers will be able to afford to cruise going forward, but many other potential customers will get left behind as prices rise and wages stagnate or fall for some.

I totally agree prices are trending higher this year. In reality though, customers just got used to soft pricing the last few years coming out of the Great Recession, and prices are just now trying to rebound to "normal." For sure, the U.S. is becoming a nation of haves and have nots. The middle class has been gradually disappearing over the last few years. Prices have been held down by the recession and workers' wages have been mostly stagnant. Some of Carnival's potential customers will be able to afford to cruise going forward, but many other potential customers will get left behind as prices rise and wages stagnate or fall for some.

Agree with you on all points.

Now, add roughly 40% to those higher prices - and this is the price Canadians are paying extra to cruise. We love to cruise, but until our dollar is stronger, we'll enjoy our land vacations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Found a news article showing the big lines saving about 25 to 50 million in fuel cost.

Per day? Per week? Per month? Per quarter? Per year? Per passenger? Per mile?

Can you be more specific so this figure means something?

Carnival's pricing hasn't been as competitive as it once was. In comparison to other cruise lines, they've been slow adding new ships. That has allowed them to charge more because supply hasn't kept up with demand.

With that said, we haven't set foot on a Carnival ship in about 5 years and have been sailing on other cruise lines instead. A big reason for that is because of pricing. We've been finding better deals on other cruise lines like Holland America, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. We were planning on returning to Carnival this year, but once again, they were out priced, this time by MSC with their 2 for 1 balcony promo and their kids sail free promo.

It's a GREAT time to shop around and see what other cruise lines have to offer! Until Carnival adds considerably more tonnage or the economy stagnates, their prices are most likely not going down any time soon.

I don't really think I can change cruise lines right now but it pisses me off. If we went on Royal Caribbean we would lose all our privileges, long line to board, etc. Kind of feel like I wasted my time with Carnival all these years.

indeed. By now you're probably quite accustomed to your perks, but those numbers from RCCL are looking good. We've been on 4 carnival, and Then most recently one RCCL and I'll tell ya, they're not bad...Obviously each line has it's own +/- but that's unavoidable. Ask yourself what it is you like about carnival and decide.In a lot of ways, I actually liked RCCL better though...but that's my opinion , you make your own.

At the end of the day though, do what's good for you. Money talks..**** walks. Happy cruising ;)

Edited by splash_in_the_water

OP should volunteer to take a pay cut since it now costs less to fill up his car at the pump.

no, things are back to somewhat "normal". Work didn't give raises when gas was $4+/gallon and they were adding fuel surcharges to cruise.....

basically I think op's beef was carnival et al, was saying"well fuel costs more, so we're factoring that into the cost of the fare". So Then when fuel prices go down, the higher prices remain...

I think Carnival Is slowly creeping up prices to match everyone else because they're all 90% the same and mostly everyone knows it anyway. The little perks to them (carnival) aren't even worth the 10% difference...

serious though, RCCL was pretty nice. nicer ships, better drink plan , how about that solarium? But that's just me...Carnival has been good to us ;)

DW wants to try Princess. We might have to expand our cruise thoughts. I told her we are only 14 days from being Diamond. She asked what that gets and i had to think about it, just basically dinner with the captain. Big deal...

Give Princess a try. It is a serious upgrade from Carnival. I wish we would have done it long ago.