How to know if your room is on the port side?

Hi, we're sailing on the Allure of the Seas - 12th floor - cabin 12320. How can I tell if its on the port side? When I was looking at the ship it doesn't look like it is. I love to watch the people getting back on the boat on sail away. I usually go to the top deck, but now I have a balcony. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Look at the deck plan. Facing forward, the port side is the left side. That being said, often the ships do not dock with the port side on the actual side of the port.:o They often "back" in so that the starboard side faces the port.

Hi, we're sailing on the Allure of the Seas - 12th floor - cabin 12320. How can I tell if its on the port side? When I was looking at the ship it doesn't look like it is. I love to watch the people getting back on the boat on sail away. I usually go to the top deck, but now I have a balcony. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allure most often docks on the starboard side.

Thanks,

Your cabin is on the port side...which means the left side of the ship when facing forward. It's confusing at first, but port side does not mean the side of the ship next to port. Port simply means left side of ship and starboard means right side of ship (when facing forward).

You don't really know which side of the ship will be along side the dock until you arrive. It varies by port and even by sailing.

Thanks,

There is absolutely no way to know whether you'll be facing the port or not, for most ports. You might be facing port at some stops, and then facing away from it at others. Even at the same port of call, sometimes the ship may head into the dock and other times the ship will back in - same port, different wind direction, different scenario. Sometimes they vary position because they need to test the lifeboats on a particular side of the ship.

The reason some posters are being over-the-top rude to you (and I'm sorry about that, but Cruise Critic is what it is :rolleyes: ), is because the left side is known as the port side, and the way you worded your question, they chose to focus on that instead of the obvious intent of your question.

Edited by Cruzin-K

Finally had this explained to me by the second officer during our bridge tour last week. In St Thomas and St Martin, they prefer to dock with the bow facing towards the sea because of the prevailing currents. He said that the bow disperses the water flow and helps keep the ship from moving while docked.

Unless they have maintenance scheduled on the port side, or need to do a lifeboat drill on the port side, they will always dock nose out.

Edited by orville99

Thanks,

We have Cabin 10320 booked (directly 2 floors below you!) on Allure!

When do you cruise? We are on the 6/19/16 sailing!

If you sail before us I"ll be looking for feedback on how you enjoyed the cabin!!

There is absolutely no way to know whether you'll be facing the port or not, for most ports. You might be facing port at some stops, and then facing away from it at others. Even at the same port of call, sometimes the ship may head into the dock and other times the ship will back in - same port, different wind direction, different scenario. Sometimes they vary position because they need to test the lifeboats on a particular side of the ship.

The reason some posters are being over-the-top rude to you (and I'm sorry about that, but Cruise Critic is what it is :rolleyes: ), is because the left side is known as the port side, and the way you worded your question, they chose to focus on that instead of the obvious intent of your question.

Oasis class ships will always dock to starboard side unless they have maintenance to do on that side (such as lowering the lifeboats). The ship was designed this way with the escalators on the starboard side.

I would like to thank everyone for your wonderful education. I need alot of help in cruising;). I apologize if this was a silly question. Again, thank you.

Not a silly question at all! When you have a balcony, it's nice to know there'll be something worth looking at. Have a great cruise.

Edited by cheezwiz

Not regarding whether your cabin will be on shore side, but before I could remember what side if the ship is "P"ort and what side is "S"tarboard, I just used the trick of they are in alphabetical order in left to right... Port comes before Starboard... reading left to right, left is first. joila!

Thank you for your GRACIOUS response.

A few people are just rude here. I had the same questions as you a few years ago and the vast majority of the answers came from the wonderful people here on CC. I hope you have an AWESOME cruise in your first balcony! You do know that once you go balcony, you can newer go back to insides or OV's? (That's the unspoken rule). :eek:;)

Enjoy!

Lordy! Look at the deck plans! LEFT side is PORT....has nothing to do with which side faces the dock, you know!

Good Grief!, cb...could you be any snarkier ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Rala
typo

I would like to thank everyone for your wonderful education. I need alot of help in cruising;). I apologize if this was a silly question. Again, thank you.

Not a silly question at all, we would all like to have the best view from our balconies when in port. However in some ports this can be on the opposite side to the pier, and as others have said sometimes, even at the same port, the ship may berth differently.

Whichever way your ship's berthed it certainly beats working.;)

Not regarding whether your cabin will be on shore side, but before I could remember what side if the ship is "P"ort and what side is "S"tarboard, I just used the trick of they are in alphabetical order in left to right... Port comes before Starboard... reading left to right, left is first. joila!

That is way more complicated than remembering that port and left both have same number of letters, IMO.