Elite member, category upgrade question?

Blossom3

Hi,

I seem to remember that Elite members were entitled to 1 cabin category upgrade, is this still the case and if so how does it work if you book and pay for a concierge guarantee? We have been allocated a C3 on our upcoming Eclipse cruise.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

I seem to remember that Elite members were entitled to 1 cabin category upgrade, is this still the case and if so how does it work if you book and pay for a concierge guarantee? We have been allocated a C3 on our upcoming Eclipse cruise.

Thanks for any help.

The upgrade does not apply to "GTY" bookings.

It is very specific. No GTY cabins. No suites. No C1. Suggest going to Captains Club for the details as it is significantly restrictive. Generally not worth a whole lot as there are C2 cabins I personally would not want and C3 that are great.

It is very specific. No GTY cabins. No suites. No C1. Suggest going to Captains Club for the details as it is significantly restrictive. Generally not worth a whole lot as there are C2 cabins I personally would not want and C3 that are great.

By no C1, does that mean you can't pay for a C2 and sail in a C1?

I've never used the one cat upgrade, partly because I like to know which specific cabin I'm in and partly because the savings aren't that great, if any. If it makes a bit of difference in the cost a good choice on S-Class ships would seem to be booking a 1B and upgrading to a 1A if there are any. You are then getting a category that guarantees you a central location and a larger balcony.

Phil

I've never used the one cat upgrade, partly because I like to know which specific cabin I'm in and partly because the savings aren't that great, if any. If it makes a bit of difference in the cost a good choice on S-Class ships would seem to be booking a 1B and upgrading to a 1A if there are any. You are then getting a category that guarantees you a central location and a larger balcony.

Phil

I have done it a few times booking an A2 and getting whatever A1 cabin I wanted. It is useful if you are booking on board as you know what cabins are available.

We did it for some A1 hump cabins for earlier this year (and then changed our carefully picked cabins for suites once the suite program rolled out)

I have done it a few times booking an A2 and getting whatever A1 cabin I wanted. It is useful if you are booking on board as you know what cabins are available.

We did it for some A1 hump cabins for earlier this year (and then changed our carefully picked cabins for suites once the suite program rolled out)

The point I was making is that 1As are the only category that guarantee you a larger balcony and central location. I don't do Aqua as a lot of the cabins are under the pool deck and/or overhang and the cruises I've done have a limited choice. Dining in the MDR or Specialties works better for me too.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Phil

Phil, it does not really work the way you describe. You actually pick out the cabin you want and the price is one category less. It is not like a Gty where they assign you a cabin. So in your example you would chose your 1A cabin and pay the 1B price. It is really a "discount" to the lower category. That is the way it worked for me. I am a little surprised that your TA or Celebrity if booked direct did not explain this to you. Good luck on your next booking.

Phil, it does not really work the way you describe. You actually pick out the cabin you want and the price is one category less. It is not like a Gty where they assign you a cabin. So in your example you would chose your 1A cabin and pay the 1B price. It is really a "discount" to the lower category. That is the way it worked for me. I am a little surprised that your TA or Celebrity if booked direct did not explain this to you. Good luck on your next booking.

Agree completely.

While the savings from a 1B to a 1A are typically not much (often $10pp) - there can be real savings here in C3->C2 or A2->A1, but as with everything else, this will depend on the actual sailing.

Mike

Be advised also that some TA special pricing may be group rates which do not allow the category upgrades. We have encountered this a couple of times, but the savings was much better than the savings from the upgrade anyway. Just something to keep in mind if you go through a TA (although this does not apply to all of their rates - it just depends)