Price Drop After Final Payment Blues

I made the huge mistake of checking price after final payment! We may have to start waiting until last minute to book in the future. That $300 per person sure would have come in handy for shore excursions. I have really been intrigued lately by the Free At Sea extras that NCL offers with their cruises. Their cruise fare was comparable to RC. If I had gone with NCL at least I would have a drink package and specialty dining included! Frustrating that RC can't even offer a small OBC when price drops after final payment. Slap in the face to those who are loyal. Thank you for allowing me to vent. I will be over it by morning and will have a great cruise.

I made the huge mistake of checking price after final payment! We may have to start waiting until last minute to book in the future. That $300 per person sure would have come in handy for shore excursions. I have really been intrigued lately by the Free At Sea extras that NCL offers with their cruises. Their cruise fare was comparable to RC. If I had gone with NCL at least I would have a drink package and specialty dining included! Frustrating that RC can't even offer a small OBC when price drops after final payment. Slap in the face to those who are loyal. Thank you for allowing me to vent. I will be over it by morning and will have a great cruise.

Have you checked if there are higher category staterooms that have also come down in price? You may find an upgrade for little or no extra cost.

We have 5 cabins booked. 2 are aft. The upgrade was over $200 per person and we were going to be scattered between 2 decks. Our choice not to upgrade at that cost.

We have 5 cabins booked. 2 are aft. The upgrade was over $200 per person and we were going to be scattered between 2 decks. Our choice not to upgrade at that cost.

With 5 staterooms, it makes sense not to upgrade.

On the bright side, paying the higher price ensured that you got exactly the staterooms you wanted and that all of you could be located near eachother. Think of the higher payment as insurance that you got on the ship, and that you got the rooms you wanted. There's always a possibility that a ship will sell out or that you wouldn't get the stareroom category or location that you prefer. It's kind of like buying trip insurance that you almost never need to use...after the fact you might wish you had that hundred or so dollars back, but it gave you peace of mind. Same idea with booking in advance for a higher price. But I understand that it sucks to feel like you could have gotten a better deal.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

With 5 cabins it's the premium you pay to be together. One time I split my family between two decks because we booked last minute and it really wasn't as convenient as being a few doors away. So I do consider that in the cost of the cabin.

The best cure for those blues is not to price check once the final payment date passes. You were happy with your cabin selection and price when you booked, so leave it at that and enjoy your primo location while you cruise.

If, on the other hand, you don't want to be tempted to price check after final payment date, wait until after the final payment date to book your cruise. Price drops? There may not be any or you'll wind up with the less desirable locations right above the nightclub, right below another noisy venue, or right across the hall from a scullery/mop closet.

It's all what is most important.

For me, when I see a cruise itinerary that I like , at a price I can afford, I grab the best cabin I can and sit back and relax. I do check the prices before I make my final payment, but once the final payment date passes, I don't look anymore. Upgrades? Not everyone's idea of an upgrade meets my needs - PAX cabins above, below, and across the corridor.

+1 for not checking your prices after final payment. Prices change on everything I purchase. I usually am satisfied when I do so, so I try not to concern myself with what might have been. I also know that in my experience prices tend to go up, so I feel like more times than not I came out ahead.

Besides, we typically have a room we would not give up, and my upgrade preference is none.

What happened to the "no price drops after final payment date" that Michael Bayley purported? Seems like that went out the window in a hurry.

I thought that was only the last 30 days?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Checking prices after final is like asking the passenger next to you on the plane what he paid for his ticket. I learned the hard way not to do either one. [emoji20]

If you waited until last minute to book you would have been scattered as well.

I made the mistake of checking mine too while I was looking for a future cruise to book, it's dropped by almost half (and was originally booked on the bogoho deal), guess I will just have to suck it up. :p

When you book doesn't make you loyal to Royal, it's that you continue to book with them. I don't hear anybody complain when the prices go up after you book. There's pluses and minuses for booking early as well as booking after final payment. Choose what works for you and live with the results.

I thought that was only the last 30 days?

My cruise is within 30 days, and there was a price drop today of about 15%. As discussed on another thread, it would be silly of them not to sell cabins if they can, and dropping price is a way to do that. What I don't understand is why they ever announced in the first place that they wouldn't do late price drops.

My cruise is within 30 days, and there was a price drop today of about 15%. As discussed on another thread, it would be silly of them not to sell cabins if they can, and dropping price is a way to do that. What I don't understand is why they ever announced in the first place that they wouldn't do late price drops.

The no price drop pledge doesn't include TAs and short cruises.:cool:

No credit of any kind after final payment, unless the booking was made within 48 hours of the price drop.

Yes. That is the original booking date too. If you upgrade at an additional charge there is no refund either. So, if you upgrade on Tuesday for $300 and on Wednesday the same upgrade would only cost $100 there is no refund or OBC given.

In December 2015, Royal Caribbean decided to alter the policy, as a means of simplifying it, by stating there will be no price drops 30 days before any Royal Caribbean cruise, not including 3 or 4 night cruises.

In December 2015, Royal Caribbean decided to alter the policy, as a means of simplifying it, by stating there will be no price drops 30 days before any Royal Caribbean cruise, not including 3 or 4 night cruises.

Well, they've reneged on that then.