Is pre-tipping your cabin steward a good idea?

Superstar911

Many times these stewards work very hard to make the guests happy and they can't guess who is going to tip them. They would hope that everyone would recognize the great service and tip appropriately but it doesn't always work that way. We have never tipped in advance, but why not? I'm sure many of the stewards have had people be very friendly to them all week, only to take off the auto tip at the end and stiff them. It doesn't hurt if they know in advance that you're going to show your appreciation!

We tip two or three days into the cruise if all is going well. There is a difference afterwards, otherwise wouldn't bother. I do it every few days if staying in a hotel too.

What are all these strange posts, has CC been hacked?

Edited by moniquet

I've had a few friends say to leave $20 in a thank you card the first night on board for your steward to "grease the wheels" and ensure a nice trip. Is this true? Does it work? Anyone heard of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is us -- we do not believe in giving a tip at the beginning of the cruise to anyone.

Yes -- I have heard of people giving out tips on the first day.

We tip at the end of the cruise and the amount depends on how great the service was. We have had some really great stewards and some bad ones.

My experience and opinion that you can take or leave. ;)

When I first started cruising I didn't tip upfront and usually had good service, sometimes great service. As I cruised more - I found that there were things that I wanted the cabin steward to do from the git go and I would request those things on the first day - such as empty out the refrigerator and fill the ice bucket twice a day, extra towels - whatever.

Some times these requests were hit or miss - so I started making my requests and giving a tip along with them. It made a world of difference and you would not believe how much above and beyond the cabin steward (or the butler) will go for you when they KNOW, instead of hoping, that you will reward their extra work!!!!

If the great service continues throughout the cruise - we tip again at the end of the trip.

For those that do not tip up front - we all have that choice to make, no one is forcing you to do the same. Sadly - the crew knows that many people do not tip, remove the pre-paid tips, etc. so they ARE going to take care of those that they know do. That's just life.

Money money money.

As soon as I meet my steward, I introduce myself, and find out his/her name.

I have a conversation, I find out where they are from, about their family. How long they have been on the ship, when they will be going back to see their family.

Basically, we have a conversation, which they greatly appreciate it. Everyone should try it, in my experience, it means a lot.

I then discuss what I will need, such as ice in my cooler every day. I tip them up front.

When I see my steward throughout the cruise, I ask if they are going on the island, any special plans, and I provide another tip as thanks for the great service.

I started tipping at the beginning of cruises several years ago because our service is very noticeably better. It's human nature. Show some appreciation, they respond. Most of us are that way. No big deal.

Just when I thought I had seen every reaction on this forum, I find myself shaking my head again. Why so much angst about early tipping. Hey, nobody is asking you to carry a crowbar around to open your wallet. Some folks tip, some don't.

But I disagree that the service doesn't change. Service definitely improves. We once had room service stewards fighting to get my order. I had breakfast in less than five minutes just for a couple bucks.

burt

But I disagree that the service doesn't change. Service definitely improves.

burt

Agree! I find that it also helps with bar servers and especially the sommelier, as they have cut back on the numbers and getting their attention can be difficult.

Tip your sommelier the first night and he will watch for you after that. We had one that actually would seek us out at other events to make sure we were being taken care of. :D

I don't think of it as a bribe - but as me saying "I realize you are a professional and are working very hard - and I appreciate what you are doing for me".

A couple of cruises ago we got to our cabin to find the clean less than ideal. Windows and mirrors were dirty, carpet not vacuumed, you get the idea. Personally I always try to give the person responsible a chance to rectify the situation, so I waited for our steward to come around. We chatted for a couple of minutes and I found out he had just gotten back from vacation. I then mentioned the cleaning issues. He was so apologetic, came back a minute later and took care of the problems. I tipped him $5, not because of what he would do but because of what he did.

We never know what the situation of any crew member may be. It saddens me that many posters assume the things crew members share is just a scam to get more money from passengers. These are real people with real lives just like you trying hard to make things better for their family. Our steward didn't want the money but I insisted telling him that if it was his mistake I would not have given him a penny, but because he had to fix another's laziness I wanted to recognize that.

After he left it occurred to me that if our room was like that then chances are all his rooms would need extra attention, not a great way to start a contract. Throw in jet lag and missing your family and it makes for a lousy first day. Then along comes someone who tips you a measly $5 and it changes your whole day, not because it's $5 but because someone was kind, recognized how hard you work and what you invest in the job.

You maybe asking what perspective I have. We own a housekeeping business in Florida. We clean houses that rent from $1,800/week to $9,000/week. You think you have high expectations. Our cleaners work hard and take pride in their work, yet only receive a tip about 2% of the time. When the do they are so excited, not for the money but for the recognition of their hard work.

Please don't see this as a rant, it's far from it. One of the things we enjoy the most is getting to know crew members, showing our appreciation as we do for our cleaners, recognizing them as people. So my challenge to you is instead of bucking the system ie removing the dsc, go above and beyond, not just with money but in other ways.

May their be great sailings in your future.

On our last cruise, we had a roll call, and agreed to meet up at the pool bar at 3:00 PM boarding day.

I got to the pool bar about 2:00, introduced myself to the bartender, told him I arranged to bring about a dozen people to his bar at 3:00, ordered a beer, and wrote him a $10 tip.

Next day, go back, order a bloody mary, hand him my sea pass, he hands it back, no charge. Later in the day, I bring my oh so handy cooler, order three beer and ice, he charges me for one beer. Again, write in nice tip.

This happened the entire cruise.

So, those of you that don't tip, don't. I do. It seems to really really work for me.

Next day, go back, order a bloody mary, hand him my sea pass, he hands it back, no charge. Later in the day, I bring my oh so handy cooler, order three beer and ice, he charges me for one beer. Again, write in nice tip.

This is completely immoral and bordering on illegal in that you are encouraging an employee to defraud his employer.

This is completely immoral and bordering on illegal in that you are encouraging an employee to defraud his employer.

Correct. Giving out unauthorized freebies to customers can lead to immediate employment termination with cause. Don't encourage it.

Geeez. Admittedly, I participate in many things that you would consider "immoral", and OOOOOH, do I enjoy them.:eek:

Tried tipping in advance once when I left my room steward a note to replace the very flat pillows. I came back to 6 additional pillows - all very flat with the excuse that there were no better pillows available.

I said something to the Hotel Director at the Meet and Greet. Well he did ask if there was anything he could help with :rolleyes: Miraculously 3 brand new pillows appeared. So at that point, I had 3 brand new fluffy pillows and 10 very flat worn out pillows.

So...in my experience pre-tipping did not help.

Geeez. Admittedly, I participate in many things that you would consider "immoral", and OOOOOH, do I enjoy them.:eek:

Don't worry about the judgemental posters on this forum, there are too many of them for that.;)

On our last cruise, we had a roll call, and agreed to meet up at the pool bar at 3:00 PM boarding day.

I got to the pool bar about 2:00, introduced myself to the bartender, told him I arranged to bring about a dozen people to his bar at 3:00, ordered a beer, and wrote him a $10 tip.

So, those of you that don't tip, don't. I do. It seems to really really work for me.

That's where it truly meets the definition of a bribe.

The tips that a cabin steward gets are a part of his / her paycheck. I don't get a paycheck, or even a portion of one, before I do my job. Why should a cabin steward get money before he / she has done anything to earn it?

Not taking sides on this debate, since I believe it is more a personal choice based on one's own personality, but...

I would like to point out that is was not the last passengers in your cabin that cleaned up after themselves and prepped your cabin for your arrival. The steward (and his/her assistants) do that. So, technically, the cabin Steward has done something to earn it, even before you line up at the pier.

And, by definition, tips are NOT part of his/her salary (although I recognize you used the term "paycheck"). If it's salary/pay, it is not a tip. True that stewards are compensated with the expectation of a certain level of tipping, but the tips are not guaranteed. It's a fine distinction, but still a distinction.

Edited by Pops, Esq.

First day on board I just stuff $100 bills into everyone's hand.

The captain even steers better that way.

We must have been on the same cruise, I noticed the engines were quieter than usual and the ice was even colder. Well done, thanks.

Edited by cruisemainiac
Added line

We have been taking cruise vacations for over thirty years.

We have never pre-tipped any steward and have always gotten very good service.

It comes naturally to us to be respectful of others .

So,if we have requests,we ask for them in a pleasant way,always being sure to say "please"and "thank you".

We also like to keep a neat cabin and are sure to pick up after ourselves.

It may help the steward when he/she fixes the cabin for us in the day and evening to not have to deal with a messy cabin.

At the end of the cruise, we try to seek out the steward with an extra trip to thank him/ her for their care and service during the cruise. If we can not locate the steward to thank him/her personally,we leave the tip with a note in the cabin.

I just started my review for our April 3 cruise and I've already mentioned in it that we do leave our room steward a little "hello" note with $20 on our first night. Believe me if you want, or don't believe me, I don't do it to assure better service and it's in no way a bribe. I do it to say thanks in advance and to show that I appreciate how hard they work. I also leave another $20 with a little "good bye" thank you note on the last night. It's never happened, but I guess if our room steward was absolutely horrible I wouldn't leave the second $20 tip. Maybe.

It's definitely just a personal decision and yes, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine either way. No need for either viewpoint to judge the other...

I've had a few friends say to leave $20 in a thank you card the first night on board for your steward to "grease the wheels" and ensure a nice trip. Is this true? Does it work? Anyone heard of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've heard of it but would not do it. I think staff are people. People who have some pride in their work and/or some desire to please their "clients" and/or some desire to earn good marks with their supervisor. I will treat them as people, I will ask for what I need, I will be polite and friendly in my interaction. I will avoid making extra work for them. I will expect them to do an excellent job and at the end of the cruise I will give them a small monetary token of thanks. I see no need to transform the relationship from one of mutual respect to one of mercenary monetary quid pro quo.