Is pre-tipping your cabin steward a good idea?

Superstar911

I've had a few friends say to leave $20 in a thank you card the first night on board for your steward to "grease the wheels" and ensure a nice trip. Is this true? Does it work? Anyone heard of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Completely unnecessary. In 20 cruises I have never felt the need to bribe a cabin steward and we have had consistently good service. Not sure what additional one might need that could require this. We have asked for an always received additional towels, ice, hangers etc. and it has never been an issue.

I've had a few friends say to leave $20 in a thank you card the first night on board for your steward to "grease the wheels" and ensure a nice trip. Is this true? Does it work? Anyone heard of it?

That would be a really "low rent" move.

completely unnecessary. your service will be the same whether you pre paid your tips, slip any extra on the first night or add extra to the daily charge at the end.

only if you make unreasonable or unusual requests up front should you tip. things like asking for twice as many towels every day or demand that your cabin be serviced at such and such an hour every day.

We tip a couple of days in if they are doing ok. I assure you it does make a difference. Tip at the end too, OK. It's a bribe, so what.:p

I prefer the term 'signing bonus'. I sign in and they get a bonus.:)

Hey if my favorite athlete can get money up front, those hard working stewards can too!.

Edited by DirtyDawg

50+ cruises have never done so. When we meet our steward we let him or her know what we want and promise to take care of them well at the end of the cruise. We always tip well over the auto tip for service ... generally the steward recognizes us as experienced travelers... they know we know the deal and we follow through for good service. If we are not happy about something during the cruise we say something right away... all work out well.

Ignore all the posts that try to associate gratuities as either a bribe or other negative action. They are trying to discourage you in fear that not only you will get something they don't or that they will be forced to spend more cash. "Georges" as great tippers are known in the service industry, recognize that the cabin stewards have already been at work preparing for their arrival. That initial gratuitiy is usually proffered in recognition of that advance effort and is accompanied by service requests. It also indicates the guest will be making requests and that the expectations that those requests will be completed and in return, the steward will be amply compensated.

I bet the people that have drink packages which already include the tips give a little extra to the bar tenders. I feel the stateroom attendants are probably one of the hardest workers on the cruise and do some of the dirtiest work and probably get paid the least. Therefore, I tip them extra. I use to give a big tip upfront but my last cruise I did it a little different.

What I did on my 11 day cruise to panama was to give my attendant $10 up front, (my tips were already Prepaid) and told her if you take care of me extra well I will be taking care of you well. Through out the cruise she was doing such an awesome job. She even was so concerned about me when I did not get back from my Panama Canal lockers trip (make sure to book through the ship if you do this, which I did) that she notified authorities. Also I will have little extras in my cabin such as chocolate covered strawberries etc., that I would give her tips every 2-3 days. I do not care what people call it; a bribe, a courtesy, a thank you, I will continue to tip them for great work.

Yes I tip certain bar tenders every few days and no I am not well off nor have I ever been in a suite. I am a person who works both a full time job and a part time job. I just really appreciate hard workers.

We have not had one of these threads in at least a week. In answer to your question - pre-tipping is an absolutely useless worthless gesture as long as you do tip at the end of the cruise. It doesn't hurt but does provide absolutely no benefits as the cabin attendants are paid to provide good service in the expectation that they will be tipped in the end.

That said, you have and will continue to get replies from people who are convinced based on absolutely no experimental evidence that the only reason that they get good service is because they pretip. I guess that as long as they believe it, no harm is done and they feel that they are putting something over us post cruise tippers.

See - I did this entire post without using the "b" word.

DON

50+ cruises have never done so. When we meet our steward we let him or her know what we want and promise to take care of them well at the end of the cruise. We always tip well over the auto tip for service ... generally the steward recognizes us as experienced travelers... they know we know the deal and we follow through for good service. If we are not happy about something during the cruise we say something right away... all work out well.

"You promise to take care of them at the end of the cruise" Why even add that "promise" into the conversation ?...I find that completely unnecessary at all. As an "experienced traveler" too (recognized or not) I personally would never feel the need to. JMHO

Not necessary and IMO does not assure extra service. Tipping extra at the end as a discretionary practice is fine. Besides, how would you know you were getting better than expected service based on a pre-tip? Maybe what you would get is their typical level with everyone. You would have no way to know. - Perhaps there would be more motivation to do more during the week for you to earn the extra at the end.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The tips that a cabin steward gets are a part of his / her paycheck. I don't get a paycheck, or even a portion of one, before I do my job. Why should a cabin steward get money before he / she has done anything to earn it? Giving an extra tip at the start of a cruise is no guarantee that the service you get would be any better than what you would get without paying in advance. And, if you prepay a gratuity, and the service is subpar, are you going to ask for a refund? Better to wait until the end of the cruise to decide if you want to tip extra (and how much).

I've worked in the hospitality industry on and off my entire life. It's surprising how many people don't tip when it is customary to do so! I know that the tip is built in here - but whether or not you want to know it - extra tipping does get you extra attention!

Let me clarify - I have never had bad service on any cruise, and we don't usually pre-tip. You should get wonderful service without it. But if you have extra needs and want to be at the front of the line if and when it's really busy - a pre-tip is not going to hurt, if you know what I mean.

Furthermore, as someone who is very familiar with hospitality, I tip extra because I know how hard they work and it just makes me feel good. When I travel I always tip the housekeeping service every single day - the heroes behind the curtain.

I never tip on the first day, and I always get great service. I was on a cruise when my cabin steward didn't show up on the second day and thereafter. Another steward took his place, of course. If I had tipped the first cabin steward on the first day, it would have been money down the drain.

Baloney! We never pre-tip! You don't pre-tip for a meal because you expect good service. I tip according to service rendered, that's what Tipping is. Don't buy a Steward as he's probably good and gives everyone excellent service. Now that you pre-tipped and got bad service anyway, do you demand money back? BWAHAHA!! On the last cruise the steward didn't was the sink for 2 days.

Edited by WupperAV