Breaking News - C&A Changes/Enhancements

Rich, as Merion Mom said the Diamond Lounge is outside the theater, and is full or over full every night. The C Lounge for Suites, Pinn and Diamond Plus is very hard to find on the 12 floor back a very long hall way of rooms from the elevators. The view is great though and much larger. When I went on 3 night to nowhere, they did not have any snacks available in either room or breakfast foods, because of noro issues the previous week. Not a fan of Anthem's decor or interior space, to many small rooms. Staterooms are a plus though. Also they have issues with food in dining rooms being luke warm to warm, never really hot. When I was just a Diamond member we only had 3 free types of drink, 1 white wine, rum punch, and 1 merlot you had to pay for beer (discounted) and no appetizers, or specialty coffee either.

I was upset on Anthem cruise, that I could not get at breakfast a cafe mocha, I have been able to get on all other cruise ships this at least at breakfast being Diamond Plus.

There is no comparison between the D Lounge and the CL on the Anthem. Yes, it is a long walk to the CL, but it is the entire back of the ship with all windows, nice sofa settings and just a large, gorgeous experience. It's a WOW compared to the DL. 2 concierges, a bathroom and a huge food set up area. A big difference and as a D+ would hate to lose it. Vicki

Edited by vickila

She's also not listening.

These forums have lost their purpose and have become like Facebook where people feel the need to share their lives. I'll be right back. Need to pee 😂 .

I'm really greatfull to those who provide useful information for the other passengers.

Deepcman, not worth the effort to response to you. For everyone else THANK YOU!

SUITE ONLY THREAD:

I think we should have a 'Suite only thread'. Only Suite passengers and Pinnacles would be allowed to contribute. Others are not banned from viewing the threads, that would be stupid. They can, however, view the threads but must do so through some frosted-opaque medium which obscures most of what is written.

I see real benefits from this. There is bound to be much disappointment in losing access to the concierge lounge and I would see this 'Suite only thread' as a way of, through early exposure to this unpleasant stimulus, coming to terms with the disappointment.

This may help those afflicted in accepting their 'new cruise experience' which in reality is a more accurate reflection of the cruise they have actually paid for.

On a more serious note:

For those who booked on the pretext of actually having dual lounge access, is having this access removed not a significant change in the terms/conditions/essence of the contract under which the cruise was sold to you? Do Royal get away with withdrawing this as its a 'perk'?

Still seems a bit unfair on those who feel they are losing out, even if I do think the current system sounds both unsustainable and unfair on those paying a premium for suite but not receiving the benefit.

The negative is due to the severe overcrowding that will result in the DLs.

With the change, ALL D+ will be forced into the DL.

In the past, when we experienced crowded conditions in the DL, we simply went to the CL. Having both as an option created a way of evening out the numbers.

I still think that converting CLs to SLs on the older ships is a strategic mistake as they will be underutilized. The concierges in those converted lounges will suffer from boredom and the wonderful servers will lose out big time on tips.

Yes, I understand. I'm just so used to the CL AND the DL being overcrowded, that I just get a plate of appys and head to the nearest bar with my seapass card.

My point is I find the Closet Lounge to be an unappealing place to go in the first place, so be displaced from it isn't a big deal.

But surely those same terms and conditions also state that benefits can be changed at any time at the discretion of the company, this would be normal practice for such situations.

On a more serious note:

For those who booked on the pretext of actually having dual lounge access, is having this access removed not a significant change in the terms/conditions/essence of the contract under which the cruise was sold to you? Do Royal get away with withdrawing this as its a 'perk'?

Still seems a bit unfair on those who feel they are losing out, even if I do think the current system sounds both unsustainable and unfair on those paying a premium for suite but not receiving the benefit.

But surely those same terms and conditions also state that benefits can be changed at any time at the discretion of the company, this would be normal practice for such situations.

And they state as well that the program can be terminated at any time.

I agree with you.

This was an attempt at demonstrating a sense of benevolence towards those who feel they have/will/might/may possibly lose out with the rumoured/proposed changes. My motivation for doing this is because folk keep saying that not all +Diamonds are boorish, unpleasant, point counters looking down their noses at newbies and those in Suites who are new to Royal clogging up 'their' Concierge Lounge.

I agree with you.

This was an attempt at demonstrating a sense of benevolence towards those who feel they have/will/might/may possibly lose out with the rumoured/proposed changes. My motivation for doing this is because folk keep saying that not all +Diamonds are boorish, unpleasant, point counters looking down their noses at newbies and those in Suites who are new to Royal clogging up 'their' Concierge Lounge.

Yet, somehow, you seem skeptical.....

Yes, I understand. I'm just so used to the CL AND the DL being overcrowded, that I just get a plate of appys and head to the nearest bar with my seapass card.

My point is I find the Closet Lounge to be an unappealing place to go in the first place, so be displaced from it isn't a big deal.

Me too Peggy. We have found that especially works on Freedom class with olive r twist right outside. The only class I think this change would really matter is Quantum class since that CL is really nice IMHO.

On a more serious note:

The cruise contract states nothing about Crown and Anchor benefits, which includes the policies for the CL and DL. I reviewed a contract from 2015, and there is no reference to "lounge" or "Crown and Anchor".

All Crown and Anchor policies are purely discretionary.

Edited by pcur

This our farewell to this thread. It has been a pleasant experience and we have enjoyed reading your comments.

Happy cruising to all......even that "refined" gentlemen who said my post was rubbish.

Nice outdoor seating area on Jewel of the Seas outside of the "new" Lounge on deck 13. Whether it's a Concierge Lounge or Suite Lounge should be known soon.

outside%20CL_zpsj0bf1b6n.jpg

We are Diamond Plus and on the Jewel in March, it was confirmed by the concierge that it will be a suite lounge. Diamond Plus will go to the Diamond Lounge.

Can you post a link to these deck plans please?

Here's the best I can do for you. On the RCL site, go to ships, then deck plans. I copied the comments about the Liberty deck plan for deck 14. There are deck plan dates that you can click on to match your sailing date.

These changes will be very nice for the suite guests and make the DL extremely crowded.

We were on a trial for the Top Tier Party, it S*CKED!!!!! Both time the Capt. didn't even bother showing. The whole C&A experience was terrible. We felt like they are catering to Suite guests & us repeaters are forgotten.

This our farewell to this thread. It has been a pleasant experience and we have enjoyed reading your comments.

Happy cruising to all......even that "refined" gentlemen who said my post was rubbish.

Don't go! You're one of ones making sense!!

Here's the best I can do for you. On the RCL site, go to ships, then deck plans. I copied the comments about the Liberty deck plan for deck 14. There are deck plan dates that you can click on to match your sailing date.

These changes will be very nice for the suite guests and make the DL extremely crowded.

Ah then you're making the mistake of looking at the liberty deck plans and thinking the changes also apply to independence. Liberty now has some rather major changes since her last dry dock, including the suite lounge instead of concierge lounge - this has been known about for many weeks. Other changes includes water slides etc.

Independence has had no such changes yet - maybe liberty indicates what may come when she next has a dry dock but currently she does not have one scheduled so it won't be coming soon. As of right now she has a concierge lounge on deck 10 as she always has had.... what may happen in May who knows, but I spect the only change will be to rename it to suite lounge. The move to a better location will likely come later.

The challenge cruise lines have is the way their loyalty programs are structured. Most if not all airlines and major hotel chains require you to achieve status every year or you lose your benefits. One resort we visit keeps points for up to four years; after that they drop off. So if you don't continue to frequent the resort, you eventually lose your status.

Cruise lines allow you to continue to accrue points without every losing any. Thus, the number of people attaining every level keeps increasing and never decreases other than through death or disenchantment with the cruise line. For RCCL, this causes lounges to become so overcrowded that they cease to be much fun for anyone. And then there's the issue of how to give perks to the suite passengers who are paying top dollar for their cabins.

RCCL has to do something and, whatever they do, it's going to make at least some people unhappy. They either make it harder to earn points (e.g., don't give double points for JS); raise points required for tier levels; reduce lounge access; build huge lounges; or have points "drop off" after a certain period of inactivity. And probably a few other options I haven't thought of.

Everyone wants the status quo in that they can go to the lounge and at the same time we all want less crowded lounges. Unless they start building mega-lounges, something has to give, sad as it may be.

Edited by ggo85

The challenge cruise lines have is the way their loyalty programs are structured. Most if not all airlines and major hotel chains require you to achieve status every year or you lose your benefits. One resort we visit keeps points for up to four years; after that they drop off. So if you don't continue to frequent the resort, you eventually lose your status.

Cruise lines allow you to continue to accrue points without every losing any. Thus, the number of people attaining every level keeps increasing and never decreases other than through death or disenchantment with the cruise line. For RCCL, this causes lounges to become so overcrowded that they cease to be much fun for anyone. And then there's the issue of how to give perks to the suite passengers who are paying top dollar for their cabins.

RCCL has to do something and, whatever they do, it's going to make at least some people unhappy. They either make it harder to earn points (e.g., don't give double points for JS); raise points required for tier levels; reduce lounge access; build huge lounges; or have points "drop off" after a certain period of inactivity. And probably a few other options I haven't thought of.

Everyone wants the status quo in that they can go to the lounge and at the same time we all want less crowded lounges. Unless they start building mega-lounges, something has to give, sad as it may be.

This has always been my thought - why do the points carry on infinitum?

They should expire if not 'topped up' every 3/5 years. That way the true number of C & A members, particularly at 'top tier' level would be known and automatically reduced.

If they don't introduce something like that, the numbers will get so enormous that everyone is likely to loose a lot of useful perks. Just MHO :)

This has always been my thought - why do the points carry on infinitum?

They should expire if not 'topped up' every 3/5 years. That way the true number of C & A members, particularly at 'top tier' level would be known and automatically reduced.

If they don't introduce something like that, the numbers will get so enormous that everyone is likely to loose a lot of useful perks. Just MHO :)

Having points expire might not be a great way to go for cruise lines. No matter how infrequently you cruise, when you do cruise they want you to have some reason to not pick a different cruise line. The way it is now you at least have some incentive to not look elsewhere.

Airlines are simply mass transportation. They fill their seats up and can get away with expiring points and making it very difficult to use whatever points you do have. We are talking two very different industries. All they really have in common is that they both operate very expensive pieces of machinery that move.

Me too Peggy. We have found that especially works on Freedom class with olive r twist right outside. The only class I think this change would really matter is Quantum class since that CL is really nice IMHO.

Well that is what I use to do until the last Dec on the Freedom. Husband is in scooter and can not walk. So you know how small the aisles are and the place was jammed. So I parked him right outside the door of the DL lounge at the first table. Went in to get some snacks, As I as walking out Berty stopped me and flatly told me to go to a bar and get my free drinks, nothing was to be taken out. Of course he was holding door and a gentlemen walked through with a plate of snacks and was just fine. Perhaps he tipped him at the beginning of the week. We are D+ and I felt plainly embarrassed at the treatment especially with a handicap husband. Booked again in August and surely hoping that Berty is on vacation. Especially if the Conceirge lounge will not be available to us.